QB Battle

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CJ states in an interview with Ed Daniels that at least two QB's will see playing time and possibly 3.
He doesn't want to get into the same situation as last year.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:There's no reason to keep a redshirt on him. We will have other kids coming in that can play as well, like Cuillette. If Tanner earns second on the depth chart, let him be the backup. It's really as simple as that. If he is good enough to earn some PT spelling Montana, that will just make him more ready when he needs to take the reigns in 2015. It will also put pressure on Montana to get better both this year and next.
+1
The more time he gets on the field the better he's going to get. He needs playing time in certain situations this year. He hasn't much experience at QB yet. One year in high school, but apparently he's learning fast.
TPS, I don't mean to single you out, but too many folks are posting that Tanner didn't play until his senior year. That's simply not true. He played for many years, joined the varsity as a sophmore, split duties as a junior (the Senior QB, who didn't pass much earned the right to start b/c of his time and commitment to the program, according to his HS coach). A friend of mine gave me the heads up on Tanner when he was a junior; that same friend also told me that Tulane was already recruiting him at that time.

Let's let the coaches decide whom gives us the best chance to win. Montana may have a lot of JC experience, but (like his father) doesn't have a particularly strong arm. If he brings the intangibles that Joe brought, then it's a no-brainer. But CJ won't redshirt anyone that can contribute immediately, so I don't think they throw the shirt on him. To say ANY QB in the program is a lock for playing on Sundays is ridiculous at this point in time. Maybe at the end of the year, we'll have seen enough to make that claim. I hope so!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
OUG wrote:There's no reason to keep a redshirt on him. We will have other kids coming in that can play as well, like Cuillette. If Tanner earns second on the depth chart, let him be the backup. It's really as simple as that. If he is good enough to earn some PT spelling Montana, that will just make him more ready when he needs to take the reigns in 2015. It will also put pressure on Montana to get better both this year and next.
+1
The more time he gets on the field the better he's going to get. He needs playing time in certain situations this year. He hasn't much experience at QB yet. One year in high school, but apparently he's learning fast.
TPS, I don't mean to single you out, but too many folks are posting that Tanner didn't play until his senior year. That's simply not true. He played for many years, joined the varsity as a sophmore, split duties as a junior (the Senior QB, who didn't pass much earned the right to start b/c of his time and commitment to the program, according to his HS coach). A friend of mine gave me the heads up on Tanner when he was a junior; that same friend also told me that Tulane was already recruiting him at that time.

Let's let the coaches decide whom gives us the best chance to win. Montana may have a lot of JC experience, but (like his father) doesn't have a particularly strong arm. If he brings the intangibles that Joe brought, then it's a no-brainer. But CJ won't redshirt anyone that can contribute immediately, so I don't think they throw the shirt on him. To say ANY QB in the program is a lock for playing on Sundays is ridiculous at this point in time. Maybe at the end of the year, we'll have seen enough to make that claim. I hope so!
I've always stated that he's played a year and 1/2 at QB. Played late in his Jr. year then all Sr. year. My sister grew up and played softball with his mom Kim.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT is correct on Lee. He and a running QB split duties his junior year, alternating quarters. That was for the entire year. Quite frankly, Lee wasn't that good as a Jr and IMO the other kid should have been playing more because he was the better h.s QB at the time. The light seemed to come on for Lee as a Sr.
wacowave
Ripple

Tanner may be present or future of team, but I for one would rather see WINNING now! Whoever can get the job done is who we need! These kids are ready to win now, and are thinking bowl THIS year!
JerseyWave
Riptide

As I've posted before, there are very few examples of a true freshman QB having success at the major college level. I don't care what potential Lee has, let him run the Scout Team. I expect Nick Montana to start. If Montana isn't good enough to successfully quarterback Tulane against this schedule, then CJ shouldn't have signed him in the first place. In addition, no matter who's QB, the O'line better get its act together and the running game must be the most improved stat on the team.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The reason he will play this year is to gain experience should Montana go down like what happen to Griff last season. Playing against this schedule could allow him to see what the speed of the college game is as compared to high school. The perfect scenario would be he comes in mid 4th Qtr with the game already decided. There's no plan to redshirt him at this time.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

My vote is redshirt unless Montana and Powell get hurt.
Eaglewave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:My vote is redshirt unless Montana and Powell get hurt.
Second that.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He's going to play regardless.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

Play Lee. He's our second to best QB...need him ready to go.
The only players I think we should affirmatively try to redshirt are undersized or under-strength linemen.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:Play Lee. He's our second to best QB...need him ready to go.
The only players I think we should affirmatively try to redshirt are undersized or under-strength linemen.
+1
Exactly. We're not Alabama yet..... :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

How is everyone so sure of that fact? Because Tammy quotes CJ that he likes Lee's arm and then injects her own (hardly credible?) opinion? Not saying you are not right and ultimately CJ knows what is best for the team, but I still think Powell can be a winning QB as well and Lee has had all of a week of college football.
TXWave88
Surge

I think Lee has probably exceeded his expectations to these coaches, but I think CJ has had a lot of positive coach talk. I do not think I am going to buy into it as much until I see this team play. We have heard little negative chatter. That may be a good sign, but all this seems familiar. It seems like those people we complain about here who go and watch fall camp practice and then claim we will be 10-2. Then we watch the games and find out we aren't very good and those posters were just too excited for the upcoming season. I am super excited about this college football season in general, but if we can field the team that I have heard being discussed, then we should all have an enjoyable year. I just hope this isn't another Lucy year and the football is about to be pulled right from underneath again.
DrBox
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
How is everyone so sure of that fact? Because Tammy quotes CJ that he likes Lee's arm and then injects her own (hardly credible?) opinion? Not saying you are not right and ultimately CJ knows what is best for the team, but I still think Powell can be a winning QB as well and Lee has had all of a week of college football.
I'm assuming he is 2nd best, true.
But if he's third best, play him. 3 QBs isn't a whole lot of depth. We needed a 4th stringer last year....and we paid dearly.
We can recruit QBs. Not worried about redshirting, especially now.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:
I think that, whether it was his fault or not, the display that Powell put on in his limited time playing when Griff was out didn't get anyone excited about his abilities to succeed at D1 level. I'm probably a bit more optimistic, but since hearing about Lee before his Junior year of HS, and knowing he was interested in Tulane and vise versa, I've been excited about the kid.

It's not just Tammy, either. The coaches, and players have commented repeatedly that "Tanner threw a perfect long ball" or "Tanner threw a strike between defenders." He's certainly raised eyebrows, otherwise I think it would be a done deal that he's redshirted. If he's the second best QB, he's going to see some time under center. If he's third best, he may play some, or he may redshirt. We'll see.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
I think that, whether it was his fault or not, the display that Powell put on in his limited time playing when Griff was out didn't get anyone excited about his abilities to succeed at D1 level. I'm probably a bit more optimistic, but since hearing about Lee before his Junior year of HS, and knowing he was interested in Tulane and vise versa, I've been excited about the kid.

It's not just Tammy, either. The coaches, and players have commented repeatedly that "Tanner threw a perfect long ball" or "Tanner threw a strike between defenders." He's certainly raised eyebrows, otherwise I think it would be a done deal that he's redshirted. If he's the second best QB, he's going to see some time under center. If he's third best, he may play some, or he may redshirt. We'll see.
I don't agree with the Powell assessment, I actually thought the kid was poised after being placed in a literally impossible position. Not even exaggerating, that was the worst line play I have seen in my entire life of watching D1 Fball. It was that bad, yet he didn't try to force it and even "tried" to make plays.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: How is everyone so sure of that fact? Because Tammy quotes CJ that he likes Lee's arm and then injects her own (hardly credible?) opinion? Not saying you are not right and ultimately CJ knows what is best for the team, but I still think Powell can be a winning QB as well and Lee has had all of a week of college football.
Tammy forms her opinions from talking to coaches. They are more than likely telling her he's running #2 now, but "don't quote me on that". That's how it usually goes on the beat. They don't want to show their hand at this point to keep the competition fierce.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I've watched football for a long time and I don't see from Powell what some people see. I've been saying for awhile now that Lee is the future and I don't see anything that's changed that. It seems clear to me that Powell filled a need when they signed him and that Lee is a guy they've truly coveted during the recruiting process, especially Neu. He fits the mold for the offense they are running. I think it's Montana's show this year, but he's going to have to hold him off next season.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:I've watched football for a long time and I don't see from Powell what some people see. I've been saying for awhile now that Lee is the future and I don't see anything that's changed that. It seems clear to me that Powell filled a need when they signed him and that Lee is a guy they've truly coveted during the recruiting process, especially Neu. He fits the mold for the offense they are running. I think it's Montana's show this year, but he's going to have to hold him off next season.
Agree on Powell, but he does have a big arm. Even though I haven't seen him throw a pass, if Lee is what people think then I'd like to know if Powell can play other positions.
TXWave88
Surge

Can Powell catch? I know a group who can't right now. He could be our Jimmy Graham CJ is looking for because we would not need him to block.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TXWave88 wrote:Can Powell catch? I know a group who can't right now. He could be our Jimmy Graham CJ is looking for because we would not need him to block.
Good question. In the past we've have a few QB's convert to receiver. Joe Kemp and Jerome Macintosh come to mind that made a successful conversion. I see that possibility next year should Montana come back.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I think he ends up transferring, Cuillette is legit as well, just undersized.
tnelly15
Riptide

I don't think Powell has the size and athleticism to play another position either.