Academic Standards ... or Delusional Arrogance?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
timlan2057
Ripple

Yes, I take pride in Tulane academics. I attempt to be modest and not overdo my paternal pride. When the subject comes up, I invariably say: "My daughter goes to college in New Orleans." I am then usually asked: "Oh. Does she go to UNO?" I reply, "No, Tulane." That is usually met with eyes widening, a small gasp and then: "wow!" :mrgreen:

Tulane is a great academic school. I love slapping down the delusional fools on Tigerdroppings who think otherwise.

Yet--our athletic department is in danger because pride in high academic standards has become delusional arrogance.

How can Gibson Hall keep prissily touting this "Tulane Model" as if Tulane was head-and-shoulders above Harvard and Yale?

I'm not concerned about Scott Cowen insulting Rice or Duke or Stanford, but it does make him look ignorant when this model is touted, trotted out, and used as a catch-all excuse of why Tulane football is in the shitter.

Tulane academics is great. Yet is has slipped under Cowen's watch, and even those of us with pride in Tulane who have an ounce of realism and common sense know that Rice, Duke, Stanford, etc. have as good or better academics than Tulane. THEY have competitive football. THEY are fine with the NCAA minimum requirements for athletes. (Yes, Duke is a bad example in football, but their powerhouse basketball team makes up for it.)

In light of what other equal or superior academic institutions are doing in athletics, the "Tulane Model" makes no sense and is a product of an arrogant, delusional mindset.

In my opinion, based on observations in the three years I have been a Tulane fan and band parent, Scott Cowen, if allowed to make his vision a reality, will make Tulane a vastly academically inferior University of Chicago, with no athletics.

I'm sorry President Cowen, but that "model" will not work in Louisiana.

At this point, things seem almost futile. The President of a private university, especially one who sits on his own board, seems as powerful and autocratic as the lord of a medieval manor.

I'm glad, at least, that most on this board recognize that Bob Toledo is a symptom of the disease--not the disease itself.

Yes, it could be a long, uphill fight to cure the disease.

But hey, at least recognizing what exactly the disease is, is a good first step.

LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

+1 Very well put! And welcome to the board :)
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Timlan....thank you for your post and your suport...by the way how are tings in ALex..I used to travel there quite often back in the 80's...used to stay at the Sheraton Hotel on the "main drag"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

great post!! thank you. I vote delusional. "Tulane Model"=BS
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
timlan2057
Ripple

golfnut69 wrote:Timlan....thank you for your post and your suport...by the way how are tings in ALex..I used to travel there quite often back in the 80's...used to stay at the Sheraton Hotel on the "main drag"
Golfnut, Alexandria hasn't grown in population in the last 30 years ... if we get a new fast-food joint that provides a few more minimum wage jobs, the city fathers delusionally scream: "Economic Development! We're getting it done!" Meanwhile, while one restaurant opens, another closes and central Louisiana continues to take one step forward and two steps back.

Kinda sounds like Tulane athletics. :mrgreen:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Excellent post, Timlan.

Rest assured, it is delusional arrogance. And if you love Tulane you should do something about it.
JTLiuzza
Swell

In just three years as a Tulane fan you have a more firm grasp on the situation than many who have been fans for a lifetime.

Congrats to your daughter as well. I hope she's enjoying the college years at ol' TU.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

timlan2057 wrote:Yes, I take pride in Tulane academics. I attempt to be modest and not overdo my paternal pride. When the subject comes up, I invariably say: "My daughter goes to college in New Orleans." I am then usually asked: "Oh. Does she go to UNO?" I reply, "No, Tulane." That is usually met with eyes widening, a small gasp and then: "wow!" :mrgreen:

Tulane is a great academic school. I love slapping down the delusional fools on Tigerdroppings who think otherwise.

Yet--our athletic department is in danger because pride in high academic standards has become delusional arrogance.

How can Gibson Hall keep prissily touting this "Tulane Model" as if Tulane was head-and-shoulders above Harvard and Yale?

I'm not concerned about Scott Cowen insulting Rice or Duke or Stanford, but it does make him look ignorant when this model is touted, trotted out, and used as a catch-all excuse of why Tulane football is in the shitter.

Tulane academics is great. Yet is has slipped under Cowen's watch, and even those of us with pride in Tulane who have an ounce of realism and common sense know that Rice, Duke, Stanford, etc. have as good or better academics than Tulane. THEY have competitive football. THEY are fine with the NCAA minimum requirements for athletes. (Yes, Duke is a bad example in football, but their powerhouse basketball team makes up for it.)

In light of what other equal or superior academic institutions are doing in athletics, the "Tulane Model" makes no sense and is a product of an arrogant, delusional mindset.

In my opinion, based on observations in the three years I have been a Tulane fan and band parent, Scott Cowen, if allowed to make his vision a reality, will make Tulane a vastly academically inferior University of Chicago, with no athletics.

At this point, things seem almost futile. The President of a private university, especially one who sits on his own board, seems as powerful and autocratic as the lord of a medieval manor.

I'm glad, at least, that most on this board recognize that Bob Toledo is a symptom of the disease--not the disease itself.

But hey, at least recognizing what exactly the disease is, is a good first step.
Bullseye, Timlan. A really great post.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RWR
Swell

timlan-Serious question. I was glad when we brought the band back and hoped we could at least reach 100 playing members. In 2009 we had 65-70. This year I counted at least twice as they came back into the stands single file after half-time and we only had 50. What's going on and what can we expect in the near future. Thanks in advance.
timlan2057
Ripple

RWR, I don't know a specific answer for that. I don't doubt your numbers.

I was not able to make a game this year, but a friend and I cook a jambalaya or gumbo on the first day of band camp and I usually see the numbers there. While I didn't count, I did notice an increase from 2008 to 2009, but a bit of a drop off from 2009 to 2010.

Yeah, I was thinking and hoping they'd be well over 100 by now.

I'll ask my daughter and if I get any specific information, I'll post it here.
IM42lane
Swell

EXCELLENT - send this to the Times Pic letters to the editor!

ROLL WAVE (and roll Cowen & Dickson out of here now!)
timlan2057 wrote:Yes, I take pride in Tulane academics. I attempt to be modest and not overdo my paternal pride. When the subject comes up, I invariably say: "My daughter goes to college in New Orleans." I am then usually asked: "Oh. Does she go to UNO?" I reply, "No, Tulane." That is usually met with eyes widening, a small gasp and then: "wow!" :mrgreen:

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
sader24
Tsunami

My question has always been if Tulane prides itself on being Great "Educators" why are they so afraid to educate? Why are they so afraid to take a guy with a 18 ACT and "educate" them? Being in New Orleans how positive of an impact on the African American community in New Orleans could they have if 8-10 New Orleans kids per year were getting their degree from Tulane through football? Cowen goes around blowing his horn about everything he's done for New Orleans yet he refuses to do the most important thing for the city which would be to accept kids who have lower, but qualifying, standardized test scores because they come from a school system from KG up that has been less than adequate. BTW, I've gone to every Tulane home game since I was 3 and I happened to go to LSU and graduate from LSU. I've heard and participated in the whole Tulane is vastly superior to LSU jokes in academics since early ages. Every time I hear them now I just laugh because it's so sad and embarassing. First off at this point the distance between Tulane and LSU academically is as small as it's ever been. Secondly, when few if any of your own alumni attend your football games you shouldn't be turning off fans by ridiculing their school when you have 3,000 people in the stadium. Thirdly, academic arguments are like getting your a** kicked by someone then yelling, "Well my dad makes more money than yours."
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Sadly, with the Cowen dog and pony underway, I've said over and over, there's a better chance of LSU catching us academically than there is of us catching them athletically.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana