Shocker

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

My dad's had 4 season tickets since the Superdome opened. I cancelled 2 of them just to see if anyone at the Wilson Center was even awake. I would assume with a dwindling fanbase and renewed "emphasis" on the program someone at some level would make a call to a season ticket account of 36 years, yesterday my check for the other 2 went through so I'm guessing that's not happening. I left my number and a short note in the envelope. I guess nobody gives a sh*t. Truth is I didn't even want to cancel them, I just wanted to see how apathetic it has gotten over there. Luckily I spend 99% of the games with nobody in 25 seats to either side of me so it wont affect me I guess, of course I haven't been able to convince anyone to go to a game in 4 years either so I really only need 1 ticket.

JTLiuzza
Swell

I almost posted "unbelievable" in response but as your post title suggests, it's really not a shocker at all for anyone used to doing business with the Wilson Center.

I've had nowhere near the longevity in season tickets of your dad but I cut off the TAF donations, ultimate fan pack purchases, the whole deal, and I didn't hear a peep.

I don't know how much of it is apathy and how much of it is due to the fact that they are really disorganized. It seems like a simple an obvious thing to follow up with long time season ticket holders who have canceled but I don't think they even have those simple mechanisms in place.

Either way it's sad.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

A business man by me didn't renew his 12 season tix that he had for over 30 years last year and has yet to hear from anyone. I know of many others who have done the same b/c they are done w/the sos and they never got calls either. WTG RD.It is probably total incompetence but it could be that they already know what those people think- The Tulane Model sucks.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Its just ongoing and ingrained Tulane admin incompetency, nothing at all surprising or new!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
sader24
Tsunami

I will say that we cancelled our baseball season tickets 2 years ago simply because we were only making 2 to 3 games a year instead of the 25 or so we were making before Katrina and we received a 2 page handwritten letter from Rick Jones thanking us for the support and asking us to reconsider.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I don't even get the emails anymore. I'd love to believe that's because I'm the outspoken one but I know the reality is simply utter incompetence.

On TWR, one fan whose business pulled their advertisement three years ago noticed they were still running it at home football games. The average manager at McDonalds wouldn't make that kind of error. I don't know if people in general have an idea just how bad things are for Tulane Athletics.
JTLiuzza
Swell

That speaks of a culture of non-accountability. For most of us, if we drop the ball enough times at work we find ourselves unemployed.

These guys can drop the ball over and over with impunity. Functioning in a culture like that also explains why they react so defensively and in such an indignant way when those of us outside the "organization" try to impose some accountability.

The "playbook" fiasco springs to mind with Cowen's self-aggrandizing "no I don't suck - you're going to listen to how great I am" dog and pony show as well as Dickson's admonishment to "walk across the street" or some such, if people don't like the way things are going.

Where else can you land a six figure job and get ruffled if somebody has the audacity to actually expect some minimum level of performance?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:That speaks of a culture of non-accountability. For most of us, if we drop the ball enough times at work we find ourselves unemployed.

These guys can drop the ball over and over with impunity. Functioning in a culture like that also explains why they react so defensively and in such an indignant way when those of us outside the "organization" try to impose some accountability.

The "playbook" fiasco springs to mind with Cowen's self-aggrandizing "no I don't suck - you're going to listen to how great I am" dog and pony show as well as Dickson's admonishment to "walk across the street" or some such, if people don't like the way things are going.

Where else can you land a six figure job and get ruffled if somebody has the audacity to actually expect some minimum level of performance?
Exactly. And I don't understand why Tulane alumni are willing to put up with this. They are getting nice paychecks while destroying Tulane from within and people don't want to speak up. It's sad.
Jonathan
Riptide

No mega dollars spent by our ad to promote tu sports. I miss the buddy teveens ads and song by the nevilles
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jonathan wrote:No mega dollars spent by our ad to promote tu sports. I miss the buddy teveens ads and song by the nevilles
After a brief ride in my truck this morning with the radio on I found myself burdened with the song "Do you know the way to San Jose" stuck in my head. I was even whistling it out loud in the check out line at the store. Thankfully nobody pointed and laughed.

After reading your post that unfortunate tune has been officially displaced. If somehow I end up in another check out line whistling "Buddy Buddy Buddy" I think the chances of my being pointed to and laughed at will definitely go up.

I don't know whether to stay home until it blows over or go on youtube looking for Dione Warwick tunes to put me back where I was this morning. :mrgreen:
dennis72
Ripple

I don't why anyone is shocked. When I played in the '70's I had lot of family that went to the games. When I asked Tulane if my family could get their seat together I didn't get any help. This is when Bill Curl was the big promoter of Tulane. As long as students are in the ticket office they are not going to care. You need people that care for Tulane. I know that is hard to find caring people but they are still out there. You also need someone that understands the New Orleans market. People in New Orleans want personnel contact not self promoting crap that comes from the mouth of Cowen. I wanted to hit him when he laughed about the win-loss records of Tulane for the past 50 years. He and men just like him caused this. He has no right to laugh. One other comment. I know we get emotional when it comes to Tulane but don't attack the people that care for Tulane. Jonathan does say some strange things but he does care. The English comment was cruel. You know for 29 years I got attacked for my English and handwriting the whole time I worked at Michoud. Now my English is not great and my handwriting looks like something a dead man wrote but they picked on me because most people were LSU fans and being a Tulane alumni gets you nothing. But after all I was a history major. The only subject I ever flunk was English at Tulane. Three football players walked into the first day of class and the teacher told us that we were football players and that we will not pass. The other two guys left the class. But I'm from New Orleans and I don't believe in academic bullies. Of course I flunk but I took two history class in summer school and passed easily. I wait to my senoir year to take English and the dummies gave me the same English class I pass. I never did take the Norton's Poetry course again. So if you want to pick on Jonathan for his English don't.If you need to vent just say"and Dennis's English is still bad" I can handle it. You can't insult me anymore then I've been insulted in the 29 years I worked at Lockheed Martin. We all love to see Tulane do well. We need everyone.