Dec 1, 1973 Tulane's 14-0 win over LSU glory days

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Rated 9th greatest in NOLA Sports history.............

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video ... D=24814646

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

tpstulane wrote:in NOLA Sports history.............

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video ... D=24814646
This is always nice to remember this, but what have we done lately? 1973-1974 was my senior year at Tulane, so I of course will forever remember it. However, the 1900's ARE OVER -- what have we done since Y2K in football -- nothing much!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Is that the only TU-related item on the list of greatest moments in New Orleans sports history?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Robert1969
Riptide

Well, I was only four years old at the time. In 1982, Tulane beat LSU at Baton Rouge 31-28. It was an humiliating defeat for LSU, and totally AWESOME!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:Is that the only TU-related item on the list of greatest moments in New Orleans sports history?
So far, Ed is on number #8 I believe. I would expect LSU winning the Nat'l Championship in NOLA to be on that list. But it's the greatest moment in Tulane sports history so I wouldn't think there would be a higher one for us.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:Is that the only TU-related item on the list of greatest moments in New Orleans sports history?
So far, Ed is on number #8 I believe. I would expect LSU winning the Nat'l Championship in NOLA to be on that list. But it's the greatest moment in Tulane sports history so I wouldn't think there would be a higher one for us.
Not the 1998 football season?

Not the return of TU bball from self-imposed non-existence to making the NCAA tournament for the first time in the history of the program?

Or could those two really be considered as particular moments like a single game?

Or...as a particular moment, not the 2001 baseball super-regional (the last games that Skip Bertman coached at LSU as well as the break-through moment for TU baseball to finally make it to the college baseball world series)?
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
T1B2TW
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:

So what exactly does LSU have to do with the greatest moments in New Orleans Sports history? Last time I checked those bozos resided in Baton Rouge.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

T1B2TW wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

So what exactly does LSU have to do with the greatest moments in New Orleans Sports history? Last time I checked those bozos resided in Baton Rouge.
The game was played in NOLA. Ali vs Spinks have nothing to do with NOLA either but the fight took place in NOLA (Superdome).
I'm sure John Gilliam's kickoff return and Tom Dempsey's FG will make the list, Saints first playoff win.

Go to this link and at the bottom of it's page scroll through the video's that Ed has already rated..... 12,11,10 and 9 for Tulane. It's sporting events that have taken place in NOLA.
http://wgno.com/sports/#axzz2TH2aPgdS
Tulane Class of 1981
Highwave
Low Tide

Considering it was termed the single greatest moment in the history of Tulane sports, I doubt there will be another TU moment on the list.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Highwave wrote:Considering it was termed the single greatest moment in the history of Tulane sports, I doubt there will be another TU moment on the list.
I realize that that's what a lot of people say, but think about this: even if you're someone to whom the TU-LSU rivalry means a lot why wouldn't you think of the 2001 college baseball super-regional as being equally as memorable, if not more so?
msdos
Swell

So is #1 the blocked punt vs. the Falcons or the win over the Vikings?

Personally, I'd say the blocked punt
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Maybe so but I myself would have to rank winning the NFC championship ahead of everything.
msdos
Swell

They can easily be 1&2
T1B2TW
High Tide

11/01/66. Look it up if you don't know.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

T1B2TW wrote:11/01/66. Look it up if you don't know.
True indeed.
T1B2TW
High Tide

08/03/75 belongs in there too.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Don't know why but Drew Brees breaking Johnny U's record in the Dome was #8. That record (54 consecutive games with a TD pass) will be broken this year by Tom Brady who goes into the season with 48 straight games.
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Don't know why but Drew Brees breaking Johnny U's record in the Dome was #8. That record (54 consecutive games with a TD pass) will be broken this year by Tom Brady who goes into the season with 48 straight games.
I agree. I know it is all just one man's opinion, but this hurts the credibility of this list.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Don't know why but Drew Brees breaking Johnny U's record in the Dome was #8. That record (54 consecutive games with a TD pass) will be broken this year by Tom Brady who goes into the season with 48 straight games.
I agree. I know it is all just one man's opinion, but this hurts the credibility of this list.
It's the Saints, they dominate this city a t a level that is even significantly above LSU.
Highwave
Low Tide

Fred Dowler wrote:
Highwave wrote:Considering it was termed the single greatest moment in the history of Tulane sports, I doubt there will be another TU moment on the list.
I realize that that's what a lot of people say, but think about this: even if you're someone to whom the TU-LSU rivalry means a lot why wouldn't you think of the 2001 college baseball super-regional as being equally as memorable, if not more so?
I'm right there with you. Not convinced it is even the most memorable football moment. Why not the win over La Tech in the only wire-to-wire undefeated season in state history?
Fred Dowler
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
It's the Saints, they dominate this city a t a level that is even significantly above LSU.
And they should.

It's the NFL, for the moment, at least, the undisputed number one sports league and then also something that placed New Orleans "as a member of the club."

Now, was the moment of Drew Brees breaking that record really deserving as the 8th most memorable particular moment of sports played in New Orleans? A matter for debate.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The Tu vs LSU 1973 was one of the top rivalry games in the country at that time. Besides it broke attendance records as well with over 86k there. That was the height of Tulane football.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Highwave wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
I'm right there with you. Not convinced it is even the most memorable football moment. Why not the win over La Tech in the only wire-to-wire undefeated season in state history?
Considering that the only other time that TU posted a no-loss football season was 1929 that's a strong argument.

Maybe it's sacrilege to not say that that 1973 game against LSU was The Greatest Moment, but the reason that it's considered a Big Deal is primarily that of it having been the first time in 25 years that TU won, is it not? And then isn't much of the reason for the dry stretch TU's own doing in unilaterally de-emphasizing football in the early 1950's?

Moreover, even if a lot of people in the TU community viewed that game as meaning that the ancient rivalry was now restored I still think that you'd have had a difficult time at the time finding many LSU fans, and especially among the ones not from greater New Orleans, who would have said that (they viewed TU as a rival in the 1920's, 30's and 40's but in the 1950's and 60's the rival that they cared about was Ole Miss, then in the 1970's Alabama and then since the 1980's Florida and Alabama).

I go with the 2001 super-regional because of what was on the line and the fact that both programs had been pretty decent and consistent, making for a real rivalry (and even most LSU did view TU in baseball as a rival at least in the late 1990's and early 2000's because they really did have some respect for TU as a program, which they have not had for TU football as a program as long as I can remember).
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:The Tu vs LSU 1973 was one of the top rivalry games in the country at that time. Besides it broke attendance records as well with over 86k there. That was the height of Tulane football.
Full disclosure: I was in Red Stick at the time, not New Orleans.

Would I say that the LSU Red Stick (and up-state) contingent would have said that in the 1960's and 1970's that to them TU was a huge rivalry game? Maybe to some fans in New Orleans, yes, but outside of New Orleans at that time, sorry, no way was TU football viewed as some kind of huge rivalry. Ole Miss in the 1960's and early 70's meant much more to them than TU and then Alabama meant more than Ole Miss did after Ole Miss started not to be much of a force.
sader24
Tsunami

86k in the stands Uptown. To this day that is the most fans to attend a football game in the history of New Orlean, it finished a 9-2 record against a real schedule. The La. Tech game had 38k in comparison. It's clearly the biggest moment in Tulane Football history.