Dec 1, 1973 Tulane's 14-0 win over LSU glory days

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That video clip is awesome. If it were in color, the incredible amount of ugly clothes would be more obvious! I'm not criticizing anyone wearing them, because at that time (1973) I had plenty of similarly ugly clothes!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:That video clip is awesome. If it were in color, the incredible amount of ugly clothes would be more obvious! I'm not criticizing anyone wearing them, because at that time (1973) I had plenty of similarly ugly clothes!
UGLY ?!?!?...I cannot speak for other's, but I wuz stylin' !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:That video clip is awesome. If it were in color, the incredible amount of ugly clothes would be more obvious! I'm not criticizing anyone wearing them, because at that time (1973) I had plenty of similarly ugly clothes!
That's what I'm saying...styling in the early 70's looks downright ugly now!! :shock:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
That's what I'm saying...styling in the early 70's looks downright ugly now!! :shock:
I actually remember what I was wearing...Jeans, Sweatshirt and my Army Fatigue Jacket, which had many pockets to hold many beers..I changed after the game and the Delta Flite Attendant and I headed to Fat City
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:One of my favorite pics of Tulane Stadium but I don't remember what year it was taken.
Fascinating picture. You can see the remnants of when the baseball field use to be about where Irby is.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Houma de Wave
Swell

winwave wrote:There in the North End Zone in the same seats I was in for the 9-3 loss in 72. Great night.So much fun walking down Willow calling out 14-ZIP to the LSwho fans who had no response. To shut them out just made it all the sweeter. I knew we were going to win as soon as they announced that due to LSwho having too many home games in 73 that the game would back here.
D@mn, win, I was in the north end zone for the 9-3 loss AND the 14-ZIP salvation! In '72, my buddy and I were walking down the stadium steps to run on the field when Bill Huber would score the tying TD and my childhood friend, David Falgoust would kick the winning PAT....man, were we disappointed! But, the '73 game brought us unbelievable redemption, definitely one of the happiest nights of my life!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:One of my favorite pics of Tulane Stadium but I don't remember what year it was taken.
Fascinating picture. You can see the remnants of when the baseball field use to be about where Irby is.
Good eye HW!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote:
winwave wrote:There in the North End Zone in the same seats I was in for the 9-3 loss in 72. Great night.So much fun walking down Willow calling out 14-ZIP to the LSwho fans who had no response. To shut them out just made it all the sweeter. I knew we were going to win as soon as they announced that due to LSwho having too many home games in 73 that the game would back here.
D@mn, win, I was in the north end zone for the 9-3 loss AND the 14-ZIP salvation! In '72, my buddy and I were walking down the stadium steps to run on the field when Bill Huber would score the tying TD and my childhood friend, David Falgoust would kick the winning PAT....man, were we disappointed! But, the '73 game brought us unbelievable redemption, definitely one of the happiest nights of my life!
Boy did it hurt. The pass was a little behind him on his hip. He made a good catch. If it had hit him in stride he would have gotten in. Made '73 that much better.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Good eye HW!
Someone here posted a series of pictures like this during baseball season. I think it was one of the Roberts. You could see the baseball field clearly in one. Another photo showed three football stadiums in a row. Loyola's Stadium, The second Tulane Stadium which I think is where that baseball field is and then the third and true Tulane Stadium that we so enjoyed 12-1-73 in which must have just been finished being built.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, the second Tulane Stadium was right on Freret between where Monroe Hall is now and McAlister Drive. Freret literally went right between the two fields. And yes, there was another photo that actually showed that baseball field with a small set of bleachers. I didn't catch the remnants still there the first time I saw this photo.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:
Boy did it hurt. The pass was a little behind him on his hip. He made a good catch. If it had hit him in stride he would have gotten in. Made '73 that much better.
That last play, and the loss, hurt bad!!! As you say the pass was a little behind Huber, and off his hip. But once he caught it, the laws of physics should have carried him across the goal line. When Racine (the LSU safety) hit Huber from the side, Huber fell straight over on his right side, I've always wondered why his momentum didn't carry him at a 45 degree angle over the goal line. At that moment, I really did feel like the gods were against us, even to the point of suspending the laws of physics.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:
That last play, and the loss, hurt bad!!! As you say the pass was a little behind Huber, and off his hip. But once he caught it, the laws of physics should have carried him across the goal line. When Racine (the LSU safety) hit Huber from the side, Huber fell straight over on his right side, I've always wondered why his momentum didn't carry him at a 45 degree angle over the goal line. At that moment, I really did feel like the gods were against us, even to the point of suspending the laws of physics.
I do not know anything about physics, except until they come up with a cure it should be avoided at all cost, but in pass years a Tulane player would have dropped the pass !!!...the Racine hit was a solid blow, so I have zero complaints...and you could tell, things were about to be different
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:
I was in the north end zone and the play happened right in front of me. The pass being behind him didn't allow him to fully turn forward and get his momentum. Had he been hit in stride he would have had time to do it and I agree he would have scored.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

phpBB [video]

What a great pass from Looney to Darwin Willie to open the scoring with 19 seconds left to play in the first half. It looks like the LSU band was ready to take the field!
Wavetime
Swell

There is nothing that comes close in Tulane Athletics than beating LSU (in my opinion). I get a little depressed during rivalry week to tell you the truth. I looked forward to this game all year, and then,,,,poof,,,gone. I know that we had a lot to do with it. However, if we can turn the corner and sustain a winning team then they we will meet again. I think their new hire will put them on a 5 year road to mediocracy. Who knows what the future will hold.....
T1B2TW
High Tide

Okay, I'm gonna take this back to the real reason why LSU considers Tulane irrelevant today. Think back to '96. Tulane played LSU in Baton Rouge in what was to be the last game (for a while at least) in the series, because Joe Dean had cut off the series. Smartest thing he ever did for LSU in retrospect. Tulane eventually hired Tommy Bowden to become their next coach. Well we all remember what happened after that. Had the series not ended in '96, how many of you here believe that Tulane would have beaten in '97 and '98? All of you I suspect. And had that happened LSU and their fans would have had no choice but to continue their hate, and the series, for the newly relevant Tulane Green Wave. The rivalry would have continued and could still be going on to this day. All TU would have had to do at that time was for Cowan to not think that '98 was a fluke, hire RR, and for Dickson to never have been on the radar. You can take that to the bank.
lurker123
Swell

I don't think Cowen thought '98 was a fluke. He thought it was the norm under his New Fearless Leadership. Besides running a university, he thought he could hire the football coach and overrule his executive team because "anybody can run a shotgun offense."

If he realized how precious '98 was and what it took to maintain it, we wouldn't have seen any of the next five years including 2003.

BTW don't think that if Tulane had beaten LSU in '97 and '98, the series would not have ended. Look around there are more series between in-state teams that are dropped when they become competitive then you appreciate. You can start with Mississippi and Florida and Pennsylvania and see Iowa will be next.
Wave755
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:I don't think Cowen thought '98 was a fluke. He thought it was the norm under his New Fearless Leadership. Besides running a university, he thought he could hire the football coach and overrule his executive team because "anybody can run a shotgun offense."

If he realized how precious '98 was and what it took to maintain it, we wouldn't have seen any of the next five years including 2003.

BTW don't think that if Tulane had beaten LSU in '97 and '98, the series would not have ended. Look around there are more series between in-state teams that are dropped when they become competitive then you appreciate. You can start with Mississippi and Florida and Pennsylvania and see Iowa will be next.
Under different leadership 1998 could have been our springboard to where TCU is for now. Instead Cowen became our president in July 1998 and we became rather "Case Western Tulane."
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a "Case of Clap' or a "Case of Cowen"... when polled, 83 percent of those responding chose Clap, knowing Penicillin would cure it and knowing it was at least some fun acquiring it
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:I don't think Cowen thought '98 was a fluke.
He most certainly did. Here's a two page thread on it after he was quoted as saying that.

viewtopic.php?t=4109&p=51899
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
lurker123 wrote:I don't think Cowen thought '98 was a fluke.
He most certainly did. Here's a two page thread on it after he was quoted as saying that.

viewtopic.php?t=4109&p=51899
Perhaps. I won't quibble. He didn't pick Scelfo to lose. He picked him because he thought any coach could do as well as RR. My point was that it came too easy. Moreover he "knew" he was qualified to pick a replacement coach directly overruling the executive responsible for the department. Moreover he did it because he literally thought that "any coach could run a shotgun offense."
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He picked him b/c Scelfo's brother stayed at his house till 4 in the morning convincing him to pick Chris b/c he would stay. Now having said that it's time for all this talk to be put in the SC/RD suck forever thread. This is a happy thread about one of the greatest ,if not the greatest, nights in Tulane's athletic history. Steve make it happen.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9339