Dec 1, 1973 Tulane's 14-0 win over LSU glory days

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
sader24 wrote:Most of Tulane's issues are self inflicted, very little of them arose from LSU trying to hold Tulane down. At least in the last 25-30 years.
Exactly right that nearly all of TU's issues have been self-inflicted. And going back well beyond the past 25-30 years.

Yes, for sure, it was a big day in 1973 when TU finally won against LSU for the first time in 25 years. But, wait a second, though. Did anyone or anything force TU to cut way back on scholarships, end its Phys. Ed. major program, etc. in 1951 (and thinking that the rest of the SEC was going to do the same), leading to the program that had been doing fairly okay in the 1940s having 2-win and 3-win seasons and even a zero-win season here and there for almost two solid decades? Of course not.
Wrong. All of Tulane's issues have been self inflicted.
Plus, I would add to that to look at LSU right now seriously beefing up engineering while TU is, I guess, still muddling around with Scott Cowen's faux engineering. And then doing this right at the time when the area has the greatest need for engineering manpower or mindpower or whatever to be brought to bear to deal with the coast, flood protection, etc.

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
IM42lane
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
sader24 wrote:Most of Tulane's issues are self inflicted, very little of them arose from LSU trying to hold Tulane down. At least in the last 25-30 years.
Exactly right that nearly all of TU's issues have been self-inflicted. And going back well beyond the past 25-30 years.

Yes, for sure, it was a big day in 1973 when TU finally won against LSU for the first time in 25 years. But, wait a second, though. Did anyone or anything force TU to cut way back on scholarships, end its Phys. Ed. major program, etc. in 1951 (and thinking that the rest of the SEC was going to do the same), leading to the program that had been doing fairly okay in the 1940s having 2-win and 3-win seasons and even a zero-win season here and there for almost two solid decades? Of course not.
Wrong. All of Tulane's issues have been self inflicted.
Tulane has been its own worst enemy over 99% of the time.

When is Tulane going to put admin types in place that actually possess 'common sense' for a change?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Dave breslin
Swell

Doesn't anyone listen to our ex prez? Everyone does it wrong except us. That's why we've been so successful compared to other athletic and academic programs. WOW , WHAT AN A HOLE!!!!!!! There's no reason to finger point - unless it's at ourselves. It can get back on track if we have the right leadership. I'm not holding my breath.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote:Doesn't anyone listen to our ex prez? Everyone does it wrong except us. That's why we've been so successful compared to other athletic and academic programs. WOW , WHAT AN A HOLE!!!!!!! There's no reason to finger point - unless it's at ourselves. It can get back on track if we have the right leadership. I'm not holding my breath.
And that same EX President, whom presided over one academic scandal after another (Med School, Law School, falsifying statistics to try to raise our sinking USN&WR rankings) is admired by our FAILURE OF A BOA.

Scott Cowen (and Rick Dickson) might be the worst thing that ever happened to Tulane. And the jury is out if the University will ever recover from his (lack of) leadership.

THE "TULANE MODEL" HAS BEEN AN UTTER FAILURE.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Dave breslin wrote:Doesn't anyone listen to our ex prez? Everyone does it wrong except us. That's why we've been so successful compared to other athletic and academic programs. WOW , WHAT AN A HOLE!!!!!!! There's no reason to finger point - unless it's at ourselves. It can get back on track if we have the right leadership. I'm not holding my breath.
And that same EX President, whom presided over one academic scandal after another (Med School, Law School, falsifying statistics to try to raise our sinking USN&WR rankings) is admired by our FAILURE OF A BOA.

Scott Cowen (and Rick Dickson) might be the worst thing that ever happened to Tulane. And the jury is out if the University will ever recover from his (lack of) leadership.

Sorry, but it got us a new coach, new stadium, and new conference. So strictly speaking, you are inaccurate.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

MicMan wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Sorry, but it got us a new coach, new stadium, and new conference. So strictly speaking, you are inaccurate.
Well...

How about we take those one at a time?

New conference? Yes...however with some significant qualifiers. As in a Big East conference that TU announced that they were joining with longtime name Big East football programs Miami (FL), Syracuse, VA Tech, Pitt and WVU gone. Then, to add to that, with the "Catholic 7" group of traditional bball powerhouse programs gone by the time TU started to compete in the new conference and with the Big East name, as well. All of which leading to the fact of with what was left largely being a group that TU has been associated with at one time or another in C-USA. Only UConn and Temple are programs that TU has not already been in a conference with. And the American has hardly proven itself over the past season as a near equal on the field to any of the established 5 major conferences.

New stadium? Again, yes...but is a 23,000 seat stadium where TU wants to be 5-7 years from now?

New coach? Again, yes...but how confident are you right now in Curtis Johnson as the coach to take the program to the next level?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
swampnik
Surge

nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks. It was Darwin Willie who made the catch not White.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
billow
High Tide

David not Doug Griener. Guys in picture Cameron Gaston & Nathan Bell.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was there !!!!.... That whole day was amazing...Friar Tucks before the game was magical... LSU fans in ole Friars brfore teh game, knew tonite would be different, just because the Tulane fans were not taking krap but were dishing it out...after the game "Fat City" was like Mardi Gras....after the game which was for the most part very clean and hard hitting by both teams, the fans got along very well....the only really ugly incident happened on the field, where a Tulane fan was running and an LSU fan clothes lined him...Hap Glaudi replayed that cheap shot many times...Tulane went to the "Astro Bluebonnet" Bowl in Houston, where it played UH..but the Tulane team that played LSU did not show up.... Houston was too damn fast....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

I was there. South end zone with my Mom.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:I was there. South end zone with my Mom.
North End Zone.. with a Delta Fite Attendant from Atlanta, or as they were know back in the day "stewardess" !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I was there, about the 40 yd line of the east sideline. That game is why I've had Tulane season tickets since I graduated almost 40 years ago--it burned Tulane loyalty into me like nothing else could have. For that game, I had to get creative and get more tickets than students were allotted---that year our student ID had a series of numbers on the back which represented different Tulane home games, when you got your ticket, they would use a black marker to cover that game's number. So I put non reflective tape on the back of my ID, cutting it exactly to match the rectangle of game numbers. After I got two tickets, I would go back to my room, surgically remove the tape and put new tape on the back, go back and get two more tickets. I think I ended up with 10 tickets--gave a few to friends and sold a few, for a princely sum back then. I noticed the article overlooked our 1979 win over LSU--we had a 3 out of 4 run against LSU from 1979 thru 1982.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There in the North End Zone in the same seats I was in for the 9-3 loss in 72. Great night.So much fun walking down Willow calling out 14-ZIP to the LSwho fans who had no response. To shut them out just made it all the sweeter. I knew we were going to win as soon as they announced that due to LSwho having too many home games in 73 that the game would back here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

Was at game in 73. Walked over with a friend from Robert Street. Took my Caliope Street cousine to the 79 game in the Dome. We walked there from her house on Caliope, only downtown house behind KB building near Lee Circle.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:There in the North End Zone in the same seats I was in for the 9-3 loss in 72. Great night.So much fun walking down Willow calling out 14-ZIP to the LSwho fans who had no response. To shut them out just made it all the sweeter. I knew we were going to win as soon as they announced that due to LSwho having too many home games in 73 that the game would back here.

same seats for me also....'''half" way up the lower deck just to the eastide of the uprights...right after it was announced that LSU would be playing Tulane in NOLA my dad made a call to a bookie a got "odds" on Tulane winning....he did alright with that bet
Jaxwave
Swell

The happiest day of my sports life and I was there "It happened on December 1st of 1,9,7,3."
Oh for the old days. Although I don't expect it to be achieved again due to the state of college football, it also can never be erased from my memory.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:The happiest day of my sports life and I was there "It happened on December 1st of 1,9,7,3."
Oh for the old days. Although I don't expect it to be achieved again due to the state of college football, it also can never be erased from my memory.
Same here. Saints Super Bowl win 2nd.
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

One of my favorite pics of Tulane Stadium but I don't remember what year it was taken.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

I am in the video running up to Coach Ellender as he walks off the field. Have shown it to my kids, friends and co workers all of whom got a kick out of it.
MicMan
Swell

Just a quick note, it's 35 years since 48-7, that's my golden moment in Wave history!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

I've posted this picture I found at a friend's office, but I think it's appropriate for this thread. Notice the small LSU sticker. Happy Thursday ROLL DAMN WAVE! :mrgreen:

Jaxwave
Swell

That was a close second, attended both as well as 1979 24-13, but 1973 was my senior season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:I am in the video running up to Coach Ellender as he walks off the field. Have shown it to my kids, friends and co workers all of whom got a kick out of it.
If you watch that guy getting decked by Charlie Mac that's my friend helping the guy up. Lol. I also see my dad shaking hands with Coach Ellender before he's heading into the locker room. Cool stuff!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I am in the video running up to Coach Ellender as he walks off the field. Have shown it to my kids, friends and co workers all of whom got a kick out of it.
If you watch that guy getting decked by Charlie Mac that's my friend helping the guy up. Lol. I also see my dad shaking hands with Coach Ellender before he's heading into the locker room. Cool stuff!
That's very cool.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V