Fate of Coach Toledo

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Meetings happening today. I have mixed emotions. I have come to know him over this football season and he is a very nice guy.
BUT, like others, I am very disappointed with what I have seen on the field, so I don't know!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

We'll know before the end of the week I suppose. I'm for cleaning house.

It seems to me people have been laboring to identify and define improvement. Not that there hasn't been any, but nowhere near four year's worth.

I don't know how anybody can expect this team to be somehow greatly improved next season. I believe with another year of Toledo we'll see more of the same (those of us who actually show up will see more of the same, that is).
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Apparently they haven't let him go -- and also Ken Trahan has already mentioned on NewOrleans.com that his sources were indicating to him at the time that Toledo would be back.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
TURVS71
Swell

Ed Daniels of Channel 26 did his show live from in front of the Wilson Center. Toledo wouldn't talk on camera.
Daniels believes that this contract WILL NOT be extended. If that is the case, how can you bring him back for one year?
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
richardb
Trickle

i am an alumnus of more than 40 years and have contributed to the program every year. If they are going to waste the money putting out an inferior product every year, I'm finished. I'll support the school but not the athletics.
RWR
Swell

Agree turvs.

He needs to go. He and his staff can't get the team to perform up to its potential on gamedays. The record speaks for itself.
Scab
Trickle

Per Tammy Nunez on Twitter:

#tulane retains Coach Bob Toledo, he will finish out contract and received a year extension and option for third year
the337
Trickle

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

:shock:
JTLiuzza
Swell

Since we're stuck with some of the worst college football in the country for awhile, maybe it's time to get 'firescottcowen.com' going.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:Since we're stuck with some of the worst college football in the country for awhile, maybe it's time to get 'firescottcowen.com' going.
Touché
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Since Tulane has now kept Toledo, he must make some changes in his Offensive thinking, either by brining in a new OC or have a "consultant" familiar with spread tendicies on site with Dan Dodd during the offseason and before spring ball..I know everyone would say bring in Mike Leach, I say bring in Hal Mumme who taught the Offense to Leach at Valdosta State..and while we are at it..bring in Woody Widenhoffer to teach Tulane the 3-5-3 defense..actually...while we are at it..HIRE THEM FULL TIME !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

If anything, I can't see how a Special Teams coach is not hired for next year...
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Steve...I agree about the special teams coach..one is available in the metro NOLA area and was on staff at Tulane several years ago...Rick Gaille....someone make the call !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:Steve...I agree about the special teams coach..one is available in the metro NOLA area and was on staff at Tulane several years ago...Rick Gaille....someone make the call !!!!!
Not familiar with the name, but curious in what he has to offer. We need someone to coach that killer instinct (players either have it or don't), especially on kickoff. Any given Saturday, you can see the type... the players who sprint down the field and absolutely blow up the front wall of blockers!

By the way, welcome to the board GN69!
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Rick was special teams coach at Tulane and was or is the head coach at St James High School and currentl lives in LaPlace...and thanks for the warm welcome
the337
Trickle

Per Tammy Nunez's twitter, the entire staff will be retained and the special teams duties will be split between the entire staff.

Unbelievable. How do you not make a change? Please spare me the 'we improved from 2009' line, we are still 113th in scoring defense and 78th in scoring offense.
JTLiuzza
Swell

In other words, status quo. What they have seen for the last four years is acceptable to them.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can support this administration any longer.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

the337 wrote:Per Tammy Nunez's twitter, the entire staff will be retained and the special teams duties will be split between the entire staff.
On 690AM earlier today, Toledo pretty much confirmed this.
Roll Wave!
tnelly15
Riptide

I didnt listen to the press conference today, but I read some things mentioned on another forum.
Apparently when Toledo was asked to elaborate on how the Special Teams would be fixed he responded with "I would rather not." :lol: I'm sure if he actually knew the answer or even had any clue how to fix this problem it would have been fixed already. Honestly he's had four years to fix special teams and it hasnt been any better if anything the kick coverage is worse than before.
Do any of you guys really believe that we have improved? I'm not talking about from last year to now, but from day 1 with Toledo. In his first year that was the closest we've been to a bowl and yet people keep saying how improved we are.
Pepper
Swell

After this season's horrendous special teams' play, someone on that staff deserved to be let go.

Compound the fact that outside of Ole Miss, Tulsa and UCF, Tulane had just as much talent as everyone else on it's schedule. The offensive scheme, lack of motivation by both the team on game day and by the head coach, and the worst kick coverage in the nation has nothing to do with Katrina, recruiting or attendance.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Pepper wrote:After this season's horrendous special teams' play, someone on that staff deserved to be let go.

Compound the fact that outside of Ole Miss, Tulsa and UCF, Tulane had just as much talent as everyone else on it's schedule. The offensive scheme, lack of motivation by both the team on game day and by the head coach, and the worst kick coverage in the nation has nothing to do with Katrina, recruiting or attendance.
no question
Jaxwave
Swell

Hey guys. I already love this forum. I have been banned from the Yogwfers for a few years now after blasting the administration at every turn for just the type of action (or lack thereof) in retaining Toledo. I cut off all support for the university at that time even though I love my alma mater dearly, hoping to see changes that would lure me back.

I traveled with my family to the Ole Miss game earlier in the year and when we were down 14-0 to Ole Miss and kicked a FG from the 1 after a beautiful long drive by the offense I knew this guy was not the kind of coach to succeed at Tulane. The FG from the 1 against SMU and the numerous punts while inside opponents' territory just confirmed my judgement. Toledo has very little passion and therefore can't impart that onto his team. College football is all about passion and this guy has none. I will not be traveling into NO next year.
tnelly15
Riptide

Glad to see some former/current YOGWFer's here. I read it from time to time, but never joined because I figured I'd get banned after maybe a month. :lol: You cant even speak the truth over there more often than not you're deleted and or banned.
I really considered joining there a little over a month ago when I had come to the realization DJ Banks was transferring. You guys would be surprised some of the things these kids post on twitter. I wish I would have saved those tweets because he deleted his twitter just a few hours after the news broke that he was leaving.
Pepper
Swell

Nothing against those guys over there, I have friendships over there, just some of the people over there think they are bigger than they are. I esp don't like people "saying if you don't like it you can leave" crap when you have an opinion that differs from theirs.

I am also uneasy with parents of players chiming in. I appreciate their sons playing for Tulane but they are too close to the program.