Education Bubble

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This is yet another reason Cowen needs to go. Cowen has remade Tulane in his own vision for what he thinks a university "should be", which is what he meant when he said that he "rightsized Tulane financially". Cowen's vision for Tulane has steered Tulane right into the education bubble.

http://tcrn.ch/eBUyQx

Scott Cowen is the George Bush of Tulane. It will take decades if Tulane is ever able to recover from his leadership.

Speak up. Or don't, but don't complain that you didn't somewhere down the line.

JTLiuzza
Swell

Interesting article.

My complaint with higher education and this relatively modern notion that every kid has to go to college is not so much economic but cultural. Why is this notion of every kid needing to go to college perpetuated? The underlying reason is because the modern university has become nothing more than a seminary for secular humanism and modernism. There's no shortage of indoctrination going on at the elementary and high school levels but, at the university level, it switches to high gear as it molds the minds of children poised on adulthood (and voting age).

The way to get parents to willingly subject their kids to this is to convince them that, as Mr. Thiel points out, the college degree is necessary for economic security.

In short, genuine education is put on the back burner at most schools as the higher education system has been by and large corrupted.

My mantra used to be that the modern university has two purposes, neither of which is education. Those would be indoctrination and job training. Mr. Thiel just throws the second one out of the window.

I have a college aged kid and sent her to a non-traditional university by modern standards: classical education where Western Civilization and the pantheon of great western thinkers are not abused but celebrated and studied in depth.

Will she make a fortune in her life? Maybe but for us that's irrelevant.

Bubble sectors in an economy are part of the deal. Have been since the beginning. Whether they're caused by meddlers in government or just naturally occur as a result of a wave of unrealistic enthusiasm in this direction or that in a given market (the dot coms spring to mind). If you get stung by one, you learn your lessons, lick your wounds, and move on. Intrusive government trying to prevent them in the first place, or worse trying to blame them on the "bad old free market," is what gets us all into trouble.

I agree 100% with your assertion that Cowen has moved us into bubble territory. But what else would you expect from him? As much as he pretends to be a model of leadership, he's just following the rest of the lemmings.

As an aside, while I'm nowhere near a fan of George W. Bush (or his father for that matter), compared to what we have now they both were Saints on earth.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
TURVS71
Swell

That crap gives me a HEADACHE!

Ok, The Board hires the President, then the President appoints the Board Members.

Something wrong with this picture?
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

How else do you suggest they do it?
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Bigschtick
Riptide

This self-absorbed clown will go down in history as the worse president this university as ever seen. He is out to destroy athletics and we are going nowhere but down in the academic department. He is just a phony politician, more interested in his PR than he is in advancing Tulane's interests. Will we be able to get rid of him? Not likely unless some other sucker institution buys into his phony schtick!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!