Ho Hum

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Another game another loss. At least we have the trifecta as in last place in the three major men's sports. Next up, 3 blow out losses to UCF.

threeputt
High Tide

Like a broken record but It wont get any easier with Pepitone gone for the year ...
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I know Jones has never been one for small ball, but for the life of me I don't understand the thinking in both the bottom of the 7th and 8th innings.

Bottom 7th, we have guys at 1st and 3rd with 1 out and Schaffer is up. Why do we not bunt the runner in from 3rd? Instead, we hit into a double play. Inning over.

Bottom 8th, now we choose to bunt with 2 outs, getting the 3rd out. Inning over.

Bonehead calls by Jones IMHO. I don't get it.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Steve...U don't get it ?...Neither does Jones !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
threeputt
High Tide

I don't understand the thinking in both the bottom of the 7th and 8th innings.
I understand what he did both innings. Hindsight is always 20/20. You had your best hitter up in the 7th - you have to let him try to get the ball in the outfield. A bunt does not automatically score a run there.
As far as the 8th we were just trying to get on base anyway we could and give you a chance at a long ball to tie the game. Not much else was working ....
tnelly15
Riptide

I can't blame him for not bunting Schaffer with 1st and 3rd 1 out. He's by far our best hitter and I can't remember us ever squeeze bunting. Obviously looking back it may have worked out better.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Point taken, but at that point in the game Schaffer was like 0-3 or something. I'm just saying, why not change it up. Something, anything.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

If you look back Jones has played alot of small ball in the past, he's just always been lucky enough to have lineups that were so talented you really couldn't tell because either we were blowing people out or hitting alot of HR's. I've watched him bunt us out of innings on many an occasion, when you have the talent he's had they usually come back and put up a 5 spot the next inning so nobody really mentioned it.