David Filo

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Rumor has it that David Filo, Tulane graduate and Louisiana native, and co-founder of Yahoo, may be interested in purchasing the Hornets. Great for the Hornets but wouldn't that be a slap in the face of his alma mater considering we are trying to secure financing for an on campus stadium? Now he may have already made a contribution but we are not privy to that information at this time.

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:Rumor has it that David Filo, Tulane graduate and Louisiana native, and co-founder of Yahoo, may be interested in purchasing the Hornets. Great for the Hornets but wouldn't that be a slap in the face of his alma mater considering we are trying to secure financing for an on campus stadium? Now he may have already made a contribution but we are not privy to that information at this time.
No smart person is going to give a Cowen/Dickson team any sort of major investment.
RWR
Swell

I agree w/JJ. Plus the guy is a businessman and he surely sees the folly of a 25,000 seat stadium that has no parking and therefore no tailgating. He did recently give Tulane $30 million so I'm sure he thinks he's done his part.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Yes he's done a lot more than I would have done in his position. Like RWR says, he didn't get to where he is making stupid investments.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
the337
Trickle

I don't think its a slap in the face unless he donated that $$ to a different university.

I'd be excited to see a La native like Filo buy the team.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:Yes he's done a lot more than I would have done in his position. Like RWR says, he didn't get to where he is making stupid investments.
Well, ironically, he did. But he's not dumb enough to invest in Cowen/Dickson.
JTLiuzza
Swell

He got to where he is making stupid investments?
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:He got to where he is making stupid investments?
Yahoo management decisions over the years have been pretty awful leaving the company is horrible shape. It was more Jerry Yang than Filo, but the point remains. I'm pretty sure they declined the opportunity to acquire Google for $1M, for example.

Splitting hairs though. Very successful guy.
timlan2057
Ripple

Yes, David Filo recently gave 30 million to the Tulane Scholarship fund.

I can't blame him for not underwriting an on-campus stadium in the present environment, though yes, I wish he'd "T. Boone Pickens" our athletic department.

Or at least publicly state: "I will underwrite Tulane athletics with a change of attitude--and if necessary, personnel, in Gibson Hall and Wilson Center."

Ah well, I'm dreaming now.

It's easy to spend other peoples' money. :mrgreen:
LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent