Yulman Stadium Construction Cam

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WOW there's a lot going on today. The (north?) End Zone bleacher area is getting a lot of work, and the activity level all over the stadium is at a higher level than I've ever seen it. It's still hard to believe that the stadium is no less than 11 months from completion!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Just drove down Ben Wiener Dr. The stadium looks big from where I could see. I think for now its going to be fine. I look forward to filling that place and one day needing more seating.
I drove by it about a month ago, and had the same impression--much taller than I would have expected.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm wondering whom we could contact to either move the Wilson Cam or re-direct it? I was looking at it a few days ago and someone panned it to the right, and it gave a nice view of the endzone area. It would be better if we could position it on one of the light towers looking down! Soon it will be blocked entirely.
glennc
Low Tide

web cam not working .Java symbol keeps going round and round. Anyone else having this problem
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

glennc wrote:web cam not working .Java symbol keeps going round and round. Anyone else having this problem
Yes, me too! Yesterday and today.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
glennc wrote:web cam not working .Java symbol keeps going round and round. Anyone else having this problem
There is literally nothing that Tulane Athletics touches that doesn't break or suck.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
There is literally nothing that Tulane Athletics touches that doesn't break or suck.
Which is why the Big 12 is avoiding Tulane like the plague. You say forget about what took place the last 50 years. I say it's part of the story, part of the reason why we're not in a power conference and will probably be left behind when D1 splits again.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Which is why the Big 12 is avoiding Tulane like the plague. You say forget about what took place the last 50 years. I say it's part of the story, part of the reason why we're not in a power conference and will probably be left behind when D1 splits again.
You say the wildest things. At no point did I say to forget the past 50 years. That being said, the past 50 years have absolutely no bearing on the future.

What's utterly bat$hit insane is that you are adamantly supporting the facilities strategy that cements the strategy of the past 50 years and you have the most negative outlook on Tulane Athletics of anyone on this forum, and that's really saying something.

If this program has sucked and will continue to suck forever then what are you doing here?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

First of all, looking forward to an on-campus stadium experience, while recognizing that the OCS is a flawed project does not equate to "Adamantly supporting the facilities strategy." There you go again, making huge leaps in your assesment of OTHER PEOPLE's thoughts and feelings.

I hate the Dome for Tulane football the way it has been for the last 10-20 years. PERIOD. I've been there when there were less than 1,000 people FOR A HOMECOMING GAME. I've been there when crowd was announced at 9k and it was closer to 1500. THAT IS ONE SHITTY EXPERIENCE. I am sick of defending that stance. I like stadiums. ALL stadiums. I'm kinda nutty that way, and really look forward to having a new one for a new on-campus experience.

And if you think I have the most negative outlook towards everything related to Tulane Athletics on this forum, you must not read very many other posters, or read mine in their entirety. I'm a realist. Reality is that Tulane has been de-emphasizing athletics since before I was born. We're not part of the "Big Time" NCAA athletics. We've been a MID MAJOR since we left the SEC. Sometimes more successful than other times, but not part of the Big Time. We had a chance, in 1998 but SC blew it. Big Time. Accepting the reality that we've been a mid major for over 50 years and currently draw about 10,000 for the biggest games we play in a decade leaves you open to accepting that Tulane is clearly part of the "have nots" rather than the BCS's.

What am I doing here? God only knows, arguing with the likes of you, JJ, wavedat, folks that would rather be "right" than consider someone else's viewpoint. Folks that don't give a damn that I'm one of probably less than one thousand active and ardent Tulane Athletics fans left on the planet. What the F are you doing here, other than repeating your same argument every opportunity? It's old. There's 65 pages of it, mostly repeating the same garbage over and over again.

Tulane has one of the smallest, if not the smallest fan base in D1. PERIOD. Building a stadium for 50k is not the answer. Staying in the Dome is not the answer. The Dome will still be there if/when we schedule an opponent that requires it. But for the majority of games for the foreseeable future, we'll be just fine in a 25-30k stadium. And again, outgrowing the stadium's opening capacity is a problem Tulane WOULD LOVE TO HAVE. Because it's light years from where we were when the stadium was announced, and even where we are today.

I've never questioned your loyalty to Tulane or your love of the Olive and Green. Why must you question mine? Hit the GD bricks, pal.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:There is literally nothing that Tulane Athletics touches that doesn't break or suck.
Who has the most negative attitude of anyone on this forum, Jonathan? This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement you gave of Tulane Athletics.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: There you go again, making huge leaps in your assesment of OTHER PEOPLE's thoughts and feelings.
DfromCT wrote: Building a stadium for 50k is not the answer.
Pot. Meet Kettle.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:There is literally nothing that Tulane Athletics touches that doesn't break or suck.
Who has the most negative attitude of anyone on this forum, Jonathan? This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement you gave of Tulane Athletics.
The people. Not the asset. The people can and will change.
Wave QB
Swell

Wow. They are sure putting that sucker up pretty fast. I should be exciting to see what happens in year one.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What happened to the Reily Cam? I can't get it today.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:What happened to the Reily Cam? I can't get it today.
I'm getting it fine. Maybe a refresh (F5) may help you.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Actually, I sent an email to Vince Granito, and also mentioned a possible re-positioning of the Wilson Cam. He wrote back immediately that they'd look into it, then about 90 minutes later he wrote saying they had fixed the Reily Cam. He commented that the idea was to show the home side and in inside look of the bowl and that my suggestion would result in mirror images, and the Wilson Cam being into the sun. I suggested at least having the default position towards the end zone rather than the outside of the stadium, but more importantly getting it open for the first game.

I was pleased that Granito was kind enough to get the camera fixed and reply to my email. Although I'd still prefer moving the Wilson Cam, (and think the sun excuse is ony realistic for a few hours/day) I'd be more excited to get the stadium open in time for the start of the season. He didn't reply to my barb about reading that there were "45 weather days" built into the construction schedule as recently as October, only to have SC announce that the stadium might not be open on time in November.

All in all I was very happy with Vince's response to my email.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Actually, I sent an email to Vince Granito, and also mentioned a possible re-positioning of the Wilson Cam. He wrote back immediately that they'd look into it, then about 90 minutes later he wrote saying they had fixed the Reily Cam. He commented that the idea was to show the home side and in inside look of the bowl and that my suggestion would result in mirror images, and the Wilson Cam being into the sun. I suggested at least having the default position towards the end zone rather than the outside of the stadium, but more importantly getting it open for the first game.

I was pleased that Granito was kind enough to get the camera fixed and reply to my email. Although I'd still prefer moving the Wilson Cam, (and think the sun excuse is ony realistic for a few hours/day) I'd be more excited to get the stadium open in time for the start of the season. He didn't reply to my barb about reading that there were "45 weather days" built into the construction schedule as recently as October, only to have SC announce that the stadium might not be open on time in November.

All in all I was very happy with Vince's response to my email.
Vince is a great Tulane guy. He wears about 10 different hats over there.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If I'm not mistaken, he's been there a long time. Wasn't he once the voice of the Green Wave?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:If I'm not mistaken, he's been there a long time. Wasn't he once the voice of the Green Wave?
Yes he's been there for a very long time. But never did radio. Maybe you are thinking of Ken Berthelot.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If I'm not mistaken, he's been there a long time. Wasn't he once the voice of the Green Wave?
Yes he's been there for a very long time. But never did radio. Maybe you are thinking of Ken Berthelot.
Oh yeah, I remember Ken. How about Don Crockett?!!

I checked in on the cams three times today, and it was a very quite day activity wise. The most I saw were 4 men on the job at one time. Kinda disappointing when there's not a lot of activity.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Oh yeah, I remember Ken. How about Don Crockett?!!

I checked in on the cams three times today, and it was a very quite day activity wise. The most I saw were 4 men on the job at one time. Kinda disappointing when there's not a lot of activity.
+1
Both great Tulane announcers.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Lots of activity today.
Bigschtick
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

a big plus one; they are really a bunch of bumbling idiots.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
OUG
Riptide

Scoreboard/videoboard standposts going in now between Reilly and South Endzone (I think).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wilson cam, which was down on Friday, is still not running. I only get a blank white screen for Wilson.