Done for the year?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Listened to Scott Kushner of the Wave Report on The Sports Hangover show. He feel that this baseball season is going to get ugly and perhaps a repeat of last year. Next two CUSA weekends are the key. Tone of his comments seem to pretty much right us off. Given our pitching situation he may be correct. We will just have to see.

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

Can't say I disagree with him. You lose that many pitchers you're going to struggle. I do hope we manage to muster better than last place, though.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree with him. He is the most articulate person on TU sports. Rick Jones and his assistant coaches cannot recruit or coach. All we get from them is excuses and more excuses. (1) We are a private school and cannot compete against a public school. What about Miami, Stanford, TCU, Vandy and others year in and out (2) We have to many pitcher injuries this year! Most Top 25 schools including privates having pitching depth and work through it! We have played patsy's other than USL and Ole Miss to date. In league play (in one of the worst conferences in the nation) I predict we will move up one spot from last in CUSA last year to second to last this year. Far cry from being ranked No. 1 in the nation, defeating LSU in Super Regional and going to College World Series twice many years ago. Rick resign! We want Coach Sloss! PS How is my spelling and I sam still called dumb by one poster. We do not need to use this type language on this board!
threeputt
High Tide

I have been one of Rick Jones’ harshest critics over the last 4 or 5 years but to say that CUSA is one of the worst baseball conferences in the country is just plain incorrect. CUSA may not be the best in the country but it is definitely in the top half and probably in the top third year in and year out. This year is shaping up to possibly be one of the better years in league history.

I think that it is too early to start talking about Jones’ replacement. But since other CUSA coaches are telling recruits that this is Jones’ last year at Tulane I will give my two cents. As far as your hopes at getting Schlossnagle to come to Tulane – I say that is almost laughable. Before he went to TCU, when we had it rolling– possibly but not now. No way. I think that your next Tulane head coach will be in the dugout tonight. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.
tnelly15
Riptide

Threeput, dont mind Jonathan he's an obvious troll. He kind of reminds me of a less intelligent version of Dukkev from tigerdroppings.
Pepper
Swell

I think RJ is the finest coach ever to lead any Tulane team.

Winningest coach in Tulane and CUSA history.
12 regionals, 3 super regionals and 2 CWS appearances
4 Regular season chapionships/8 tourney championships
Head coach of the collegiate championship team and pirching coach for Team USA that won the bronze medal.
3 time CUSA coach of the year
BA national coach of th year
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
threeputt
High Tide

I think RJ is the finest coach ever to lead any Tulane team.
I agree 100 %
Jonathan
Riptide

When was the last time a CUSA team has been to the College World Series? As you all know the best college baseball teams are from the south, southwest or pacific coast because of the weather. The following conferences are better than TU based on their 2010 College World Series performance: ACC-Florida State and Clemson SEC Florida and South Carolina PAC 10 Arizona State and UCLA BIG 12 Oklahoma and MWC TCU.

Ths web site was set up by Steve as an alternative to Ye Olde Green Wave site so we could have a divergent discussion of TU issues in a civil tone and manner with respect to different views and opinions. Steve's website is the complete opposite of JR's neo nazi type Ye Olde Green Wave site where if you disagree with him you are banned and deleted.If a negative comment was made about Chris Scelfo you were history!

Tulane baseball was great several years ago when it went to regionals, super regionals and the CWS every or every other year. Now it stinks. Excuses excuses!

I am tired of the personal assults by a certain poster being called dumb (with my undergraduate and graduate degrees from TU), a trool ( because I disagree with him on the direction of all TU programs and it leadership (Cowed and AD other than Ladies Golf where we are No. 10 in the nation) I will not lower myself to his level and will always honor someones different opinion on this board! Excuse my spelling I am on my Blackberry
Pepper
Swell

CUSA in the CWS:Try this on for size:
2005-Tulane
2006-Rice
2007-Rice
2008-Rice
2009-USM
That blows that argument out of the water!

Yes, you have every right to post such idiotic dribble and everyone else has the right to refute it with common sense.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tnelly15
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:(2) We have to many pitcher injuries this year! Most Top 25 schools including privates having pitching depth and work through it! We have played patsy's other than USL and Ole Miss to date. In league play (in one of the worst conferences in the nation) I predict we will move up one spot from last in CUSA last year to second to last this year. Far cry from being ranked No. 1 in the nation, defeating LSU in Super Regional and going to College World Series twice many years ago. Rick resign! We want Coach Sloss! PS How is my spelling and I sam still called dumb by one poster. We do not need to use this type language on this board!
You find me the school that has demonstrated enough depth to work through 2 Season ending injuries to guys like Leblanc and Mckenzie and injuries to Byo and Broach. Those are 4 above average starters, there are regional teams who dont have 4 starters that good.
Also, it really doesnt make sense when you say Jones cant coach or recruit and then you rattle off some very impressive accomplishments he has achieved.
BTW you're called dumb by more than just one person we all think you're insane. I'm not buying that you graduated from Tulane. I'd be surprised if you were accepted to Delgado.
Jonathan
Riptide

Scott might me correct. Another blowout tonight to lowlFlorida International a third rate conference even lower than Cusa Nothing more to say
Jonathan
Riptide

if you doubt that I have spent seven years at tulane ask Steve to verify it what college did you attend tnelly15
tnelly15
Riptide

Well you know absolutely nothing about sports. It's pretty clear if everyone here thinks you have no clue what you're talking about, then you probably dont. FWIW I'm still in high school and know a lot more about baseball than you do.
I've also proven to be much better at English than you.
Also, how come you completely ignored the rest of the post? It seems to be a trend when someone stumps you.
sader24
Tsunami

If you want to say we need a new coach because Jones has lost the fire and hasn't replaced valuable assistants correctly that's one thing. To say he's terrible is something else. He was in charge while we rose from a good program to a top 10 program. Attendance soared under him, 2 CWS appearances, a #1 national seed, etc. etc. He's done a great job over the last 17 or so years. It MAY be time for someone else, but I can hardly fault him for losing 4 pitchers, 2 weekend starters. Minus those injuries we probably were looking at a final ranking in the top 20 which is good. I don't agree with everything he does, but he's done a great job here end of story. Your comment about pitching depth is ridiculous because we are a private school and we've had issues with pitching depth since I can remember. Even when we've been great our depth pitching has been less than the LSU's and Texas's of the world. It's very hard to find good pitchers to start with, when you have to add in the fact that alot of these guys are forking up serious dollars to play here while LSU stockpiles guys because of TOPS its fairly obvious why our pitching depth is never going to be great. I'm not around the LSU program now, but when I graduated high school LSU had over 50 guys in the baseball program. They would sign everyone cause of TOPS and they would keep the good ones and the others would wash out to ULL, SLU, Delgado, or getting drunk every night in Tigerland at Reggie's or Fred's. That's not something that we'll ever be able to do. There comes a day when every coach no matter what he's done has to move on, but to say that he's terrible is insane.
Jaxwave
Swell

Good post Sader. Part of the reason I was banned from the other forum was I continually corrected the perception that Tulane baseball had passed up LSU forever. My point was follow the money. As long as they have BCS money and we don't as well as much lower tuition they will have a great advantage over Tulane. Rick Jones has absolutely NO room in making recruiting errors especially in pitching because we can't bring in the number of players they can. The transfer rule has also hurt us dramatically. The bigger state schools can bring in tons of walk-ons and hold tryouts for their positions. We used to be able to pick up transfers who would be sitting the benches for those programs. We can't do it anymore. I fear the days of top 25 baseball are going to be few and far between for Tulane going forward. The odds are very much against the private high tuition schools.
tnelly15
Riptide

What? We were in the top 25 last week and would still be there if some top arms didnt go down.
Jaxwave
Swell

Being in the top 25 at midpoint in a season is worthless especially before conference play even started. It's how you finish. I hope we can do that (heck, I'll take just a postseason spot) but my point is that it's going to be very difficult to do so. I'll ask you a question, would you take a $10,000 bet that Tulane would finish in the top 25 more than 2 or 3 times in the next 10 years? Based on the fairly recent past you'd want to jump on that bet. I'm saying that under the new rules, I wouldn't take the bet.
RWR
Swell

sader- we agree on most topics and for the most part on this one. However, while we certainly have had success we also certainly have overstated it b/c we are so starved for any kind of success. My main point being is we were not a top 10 program. We finished in the top 10 twice and only one other year did we finished ranked in the BA top 25 before Katrina. That was 12 seasons under RJ. Rice can make that claim w/many successive top 10 finishes and clear league dominance. We never dominated like that. I have enjoyed our success but I just try to keep it in perspective.
sader24
Tsunami

Any way you slice it we were at a minimum a Top 20 PROGRAM for a good 10 years. I dont think he's Skip Bertman, but I guess my point is that of he's by far the least of this athletic department's problems. The baseball team was extremely competitive and a postseason mainstay for a little over a decade. We beat LSU and Rice in SuperRegionals. We were the #1 national seed, we won our conference (when it was admittedly weak) consistently and we more than held our own against LSU recruiting and competing from the late 90's until recently. I think this year we were looking like a postseason team until the injury wave. I think it's probably getting to be time where Jones has done all he can and we need new energy. That being said to say he's terrible and that CUSA is a terrible league seems to be pretty inaccurate to me. A much higher percentage of football teams make postseason and we've only been to 3 bowl games since 81. Basketball has been to 0 postseasons since 98. Baseball obviously isn't where it was, but we were 1 game away from a SuperRegional 2 or 3 years ago. I don't disagree with looking in a different direction, but at least be honest about his tenure.
RWR
Swell

Again we agree for the most part. My point is if you compare it to our football and basketball programs you've set a very low bar. And I understand people want to insist we were a top ranked program but when you finish in the top 25 only 3 times in 12 seasons(1994-2005) that's simply not accurate. We felt good about our program and always went to the park feeling we could win which is a great feeling but poll wise we didn't register the way people want to say we did.