A few may . . . .

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

look upon the results of the USM weekend with pure gloom and doom. Being outscored over the three days by 23 runs is definitely not good, but the W/L record is at 1-2 when one could say that Tulane deserved to be swept. Was Tulane lucky to have the 1 win? Yes, probably so. However, if the guys win the Houston series, then the record will be OK for the early part of the season at 3-3 (a certain team has started their conference with a 1-5 league record -- would you rather be them at this point?). Get the league record to 3-3, and suddenly a fine season seems very attainable.

The goal this year is to get back to postseason, and there are still many games left to be played. Is there cause for concern? Yes, there is, but this bunch has shown that if any game is close, they have the ability to find a way to win. The 16-15 win on Saturday proved to that to me. I never would have thought they could win a slugfest over an excellent USM baseball team.

USM may turn out to be Tulane's toughest opponent in 2011 (and, yes, I am including LSU, Rice, ECU, Houston, UCF, and others on that list). Do we know that now? No, . . .and we won't know that until the season plays itself out. USM showed me that they are NCAA postseason calibre. They could be the best C*USA team this year.

To all of you gloomy doomers out there, please, just give it some time and see how things develop. I do know this: if you are going to give it up now, then I am glad that you are not one of the baseball team members. Keeping your head up right now is very important for team morale.

ROLL WAVE!!!!

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Pepper
Swell

I agree with you. Not enough healthy starting arms against a really good hitting club in their own back yard. It was bound to happen. Traditionally, we do not play well in the opening series of conference play(don't ask, cause I don't why). If we can hang on till we get healthy, I like our chances to make a regional and do some damage.

With this many SP's on the DL, I really don't see how anyone can blame the coaching staff.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
IM42lane
Swell

Pep, we should also remind the lurkers out there that the really tough part of the league schedule is at the beginning (USM, U/H, UCF, & Rice). Keeping the record during this stretch at .500 (or close to it) may turn out to be the key to a successful season. If the league record is 6-6 (or even 5-7) after completion the Rice series, things can (and WILL) get better. Guarding against being 3-9 or worse in league play will be extremely important.

Win at least one game each weekend, and it will work out great. Just don't play your way out of it right now. That is all that is needed to be done.

Pepper wrote:I agree with you. Not enough healthy starting arms against a really good hitting club in their own back yard. It was bound to happen. Traditionally, we do not play well in the opening series of conference play(don't ask, cause I don't why). If we can hang on till we get healthy, I like our chances to make a regional and do some damage.

With this many SP's on the DL, I really don't see how anyone can blame the coaching staff.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Pepper
Swell

Exactly, you can't win the league in the 1st half of the season but you can lose it, so tread water until the boat arrives.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tnelly15
Riptide

Not sure what's going to happen with the pitching staff with 5 games this week. Should be interesting. Hopefully Mckenzie is ok, but I wouldn't count on him going this week.
IM42lane
Swell

Unless things change DRAMATICALLY and QUICKLY, no postseason this year either.

However, I have just got to believe that Tulane is better than Marshall, UAB, & Memphis. Things can not be this bad, even though the league record says otherwise.

Well, I'll admit that I am trying to be an optimist, which is very unusual for me. I am just hoping that this club can qualify for the league tournament at the end of the season.

Trying to keep my head up (but it is difficult to do at this point).
Regards,
"Pete" Madere