T-P, IMPORTANT

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tammy has given us much better coverage then Nakia Hogan or Ted Lewis ever did. Being a new beat writer can be difficult. You have to earn the trust of the people that you are covering. This happens over time. Then you become privy to certain information. I believe she may have only spoken to SC one time and RD maybe a few times. Tammy does a fair job of bringing balance to her coverage without being partial one way or another. If she interviews RD she's going to report his take. If she going to interview a board member she'll get his or her take. If she's going to interview a fan she'll give his or her take. IMO that's not being a parrot. I don't believe she wants to bring her opinion into it, her job is to report on it and let the public form an opinion. She's not the type of reporter that is going to break a story unless she can get more the one credible source that will support it. Unlike Karee Johnson. I believe Tammy is good for Tulane athletics. She enjoys covering Tulane and she cares unlike Hogan and Lewis in previous years. In the nola.com chat's she does give her opinion and if you go back and read them she can be very critical at times. She doing the best job in that it is difficult covering a losing program in both major sports year after year.
Last edited by tpstulane on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

I agree, TPS. I like her and think she is fair and cares about Tulane.
JDTulane
Riptide

+2
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:I agree, TPS. I like her and think she is fair and cares about Tulane.
I wouldn't be surprised if one day down the road we may not even have our own TP beat writer, like her or not we're lucky to have Tammy for now.
The TP has cut her travel to where she didn't make most road games and there were complaints about canned stories coming from the other teams point of view (Rutgers for one). She shouldn't be a target for our problems caused by Tulane admin over the last 60 years or so. Make your complaints known directly to her in the nola.com chat's she gives.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RWR
Swell

tps- Many of us did appreciate her till she clearly showed an agenda. She knows there was no 45% increase for the coming year but refuses to admit it. she then wrote a very biased article quoting only two people. One was a fan she knows and knew he favored a stadium. The other was a bd. member who had made a large donation to the bb/vb facility. Like you said earlier she does state her opinion on the chats and she has stated there that she believes they need to build a stadium. She then writes her biased article even though she has to know from these sites that there is no consensus. I took up from her when many ripped her just b/c of her gender. But she crossed the line and she deserves the heat. Your father would have never done what she is doing. She needs to go. The T-P will always cover us. The amount of coverage will always depend on how much we EARN. LIKE THE DOME THE T-P IS NOT OUR PROBLEM.
JDTulane
Riptide

If I were a beat reporter I would ignore most of what I read on these boards. The boards represent a slightly more informed/passionate MINORITY with green colored glasses on. Just because GOTULA or YOGWF feels a certain way about the OCS does not mean the main fan base feels the same way.

You could argue that some of her articles are more pointed but I have never read an article that screamed poor journalism, biased opinion, nor detrimental to Tulane. She brings press to Tulane, interesting opinions, and gets us in the news. If you don't like the information she pits out, go to her sources and work to change the information she gets.

IMO making a misstatement like 45% or voicing an opinion in a Tulane chat does not warrant villagers with pitchforks. And that's what I feel is being brought up here.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

To address a few points:

Yes, there is a day coming very soon when there will be no TP Tulane beat reporter. I've been saying as much for years, it's the natural evolution of journalism. The TP is a dinosaur and has been for a long time. They wouldn't exist today if it weren't for the ad revenue they get from their website. So don't be surprised when their reporting is shoddy.

Yes, Tammy's reported is shoddy. Her recent headline, "For Tulane Football Fans, On Campus Stadium Is Key To Program's Future" alone suggests as much, since there is violent debate raging on all the forums on both sides. There is FAR from consensus, yet Tammy reports as much. Tammy reports as much because she is 100% unable to think for herself as good journalists do. I can't remember when, but I clearly remember my jaw dropping when she noted that Cowen had some kind of fantastic understanding of athletics (when any objective analysis would suggest otherwise) and every story she's produced since then has come from the lens that Cowen has provided her with. Tammy means well, but is supremely gullible and that's a fatal flaw for a journalist.

And any journalist should 100% take what they read on diehard Web forums as gospel. Forums are social media. Are you aware that Facebook is worth $85B and Twitter $5B+? It's not because these are flukes or irrelevant. It's because those who care enough to weigh in are weighing in HERE. The "average Tulane fan" does not matter in this context. They are, by definition, uninformed. Those who are informed are dramatically undecided on whether a stadium is key, and further clouded by the obviously key variable of stadium size. It's like talking about money without talking about how much money. It's misleading and irresponsible.
RWR
Swell

JDTulane wrote:If I were a beat reporter I would ignore most of what I read on these boards. The boards represent a slightly more informed/passionate MINORITY with green colored glasses on. Just because GOTULA or YOGWF feels a certain way about the OCS does not mean the main fan base feels the same way.

You could argue that some of her articles are more pointed but I have never read an article that screamed poor journalism, biased opinion, nor detrimental to Tulane. She brings press to Tulane, interesting opinions, and gets us in the news. If you don't like the information she pits out, go to her sources and work to change the information she gets.

IMO making a misstatement like 45% or voicing an opinion in a Tulane chat does not warrant villagers with pitchforks. And that's what I feel is being brought up here.
Well now we know why your not a beat writer. You just want to ignore the obvious sentiment on the boards that go against you so you assume those not on the boards feel like you. In all likelihood those not here aren't at many games either and for arguments sake say they do yipe that tulane needs an OCS. Once you've spent that $60 million you'll find out they were all talk. They still won't go b/c the product sucks. They don't care but the people here do.
TURVS71
Swell

I am going to try this a different way.

Yes I do want a stadium and yes I told her that. I do believe that there are more of us that are for an OCS, IF DONE CORRECTLY, I REPEAT, IF DONE CORRECTLY! That was the first time I had ever talked to Tammy. She had NO idea how I felt. She knew I was part of this board (I had sent her an email to let her know it was up and running) and she felt that I would be a good person to talk to. Feel free to contact her and request that she report your point of view. Just for the record. I have 3 baseball season tickets, 4 football season tickets and attend most EVERY basketball game and attend as many ROAD athletic events as possible. I am frequently seen at fall and spring football practices, attended almost EVERY football coaches show, send email questions and call in frequently and have sat down and talked with Coach Toledo on many occasions. I invested MANY, MANY thousand of dollars in tuition. Just thought I would mention this as I feel it provides me with some reason to state my opinion.

The ENTIRE conversation and article NEVER resulted in any capacity being mentioned by me. I have stated OVER and OVER that it must be done right meaning the seating capacity must be sufficient and there MUST be SOME ability to expand/enhance any OCS. I don't understand the uproar over this discussion! Is it going to be done RIGHT? I don't know but that would be the only way I support it.

There is no reason to chastise or defend her. She simply stated the current facts/opinions. As we know from past history, it has become apparent that it is up to US to steer the Tulane administration in the proper direction. I really think too much is being made of this. Take it for what it is worth. People are talking, commenting and stating their points of view. The anger and disdain for the Tulane administration is being directed towards her. We are upset but you can't justify pointing the finger at her or any other reporter. Consider it publicity for us and direct your FRUSTRATIONS to the Administration.

In the end, Tulane is going to do what Tulane wants to do, UNLESS we do enough to open their eyes!!

I am done with this and ready to move on and let this play out. I will be happy to talk with Tammy again, if and when she wants to. FIN'

Now on to the REGIONALS to be hosted at Greer Field, Turchin Stadium!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I agree, TPS. I like her and think she is fair and cares about Tulane.
I wouldn't be surprised if one day down the road we may not even have our own TP beat writer, like her or not we're lucky to have Tammy for now.
The TP has cut her travel to where she didn't make most road games and there were complaints about canned stories coming from the other teams point of view (Rutgers for one). She shouldn't be a target for our problems caused by Tulane admin over the last 60 years or so. Make your complaints known directly to her in the nola.com chat's she gives.
Nobody, other than you and two other posters have suggested that she is a "target." I've already explained it twice.
Last edited by JTLiuzza on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:I do believe that there are more of us that are for an OCS, IF DONE CORRECTLY, I REPEAT, IF DONE CORRECTLY!
That's certainly up to you to believe that. But I'm sure you'll admit that belief is not based on any hard evidence, just your gut feel, which is fine. For that to be published as fact by our beat writer, however, is not acceptable. Where would she get such an idea? The dynamic duo, that's where. Garden variety distraction. Can't blame those guys for trying. Anything to keep people from focusing on the reality of their failures.
TURVS71 wrote:Feel free to contact her and request that she report your point of view.
That is an excellent idea. And that's just what RWR did. And as I stated (twice) that effort presupposes that both Tammy and her boss are responsible journalists who will listen and report accordingly.
TURVS71 wrote:Just for the record. I have 3 baseball season tickets, 4 football season tickets and attend most EVERY basketball game and attend as many ROAD athletic events as possible. I am frequently seen at fall and spring football practices, attended almost EVERY football coaches show, send email questions and call in frequently and have sat down and talked with Coach Toledo on many occasions. I invested MANY, MANY thousand of dollars in tuition. Just thought I would mention this as I feel it provides me with some reason to state my opinion.
Nobody's doubting your fandom, turv. At least I'm not. More of us need to be as vocal, especially when we know we're being taken for a ride (again).
TURVS71 wrote:I really think too much is being made of this.
Again, I agree. I think the stadium is a non-issue. All it's doing is deflecting from the real issues, which is exactly what it is intended to do. If Tammy is going to "run with it" and report on it as if it were a front burner issue, which it is not, she'll need to completely report all sides, which she has yet to do. She has presented it as a front burner issue that is being demanded by a majority of fans. She is wrong on the first count and has no evidence to support the second. It's incumbent on us to educate her as to all the facts, the assumption being that she is responsible and fair and will further develop the story as she learns more of the issues involved.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

Turvs- You are being overly sensitive. I initially asked a straight up question,did you tell her you didn't agree w/ a 25,000 seat stadium. I know you don't but the way the article was written the public doesn't know that. The article also doesn't say it has to be built right. It just says you said we need a stadium. No one's after you. What has people upset is that she used you to further her agenda.

Peace out and relax and enjoy our sweep of USM.
JDTulane
Riptide

RWR wrote:
JDTulane wrote:If I were a beat reporter I would ignore most of what I read on these boards. The boards represent a slightly more informed/passionate MINORITY with green colored glasses on. Just because GOTULA or YOGWF feels a certain way about the OCS does not mean the main fan base feels the same way.

Well now we know why you're not a beat writer. In all likelihood those not here aren't at many games either and for arguments sake say they do yipe that tulane needs an OCS. Once you've spent that $60 million you'll find out they were all talk. They still won't go b/c the product sucks. They don't care but the people here do.

I don't ignore people on the boards. A beat writer should. These boards are opinion based. Nothing we generate on the boards is newly factual. We get our information from elsewhere and come here to vent or celebrate. A beat writer coming here for, say, 15 opinions is dumb when she/he can go out and get 40-50 at a game or from a source that has canvassed the masses already (or from said source that actually releases the information).

Plenty of people on these boards agree with me. And please don't try and paint me as some ignorant fair weather fan with no knowledge of the fan base with statements like
You just want to ignore the obvious sentiment on the boards that go against you so you assume those not on the boards feel like you.
You don't know me and that comment felt pretty condescending.
JDTulane
Riptide

But I'm done with this topic as well. I'm pro a 45,000 seat well establish OCS and against a sh itty 25,000 seat stadium the world will laugh at. I am pro Tammy as a beat writer and as someone who brings press to Tulane and I won't support her when I feel she does a poor job, lies, or puts out some shoddy facts (which IMHO has not happened to any significant level as of yet).

We're all in agreeance over most of this and we're just nit picking details. Roll Wave and kick some eagle @$$.
RWR
Swell

The fact is she's had ample time to take such a sample but clearly hasn't. She chose one fan who is in favor and said that's a consensus. If you can't see how ridiculous her article was that's on you. As for condescending that's the pot calling the kettle black.