Letter to the Editor - TP 3/18/2011

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

I don't know what he's talking about. Gain respect? How? Because Cowen and Dickson stumbled around for a few minutes the other night pretending to have found religion when it comes to football?

Rejoicing that the Saints might not be playing this year as that will, in his mind, be a boon to Tulane football attendance?

The guy is an idiot.

The NFL situation is bad for the city and local businesses. And any lack of NFL games won't add one person to the dome to watch a Tulane game.

Tulane football gets no respect because it hasn't earned any. That's the way it's designed. And it is still that way despite the failed dog and pony show "playbook."

The sports fans in this town are not completely stupid. They will come and watch Tulane football at some point. But first Tulane has to exhibit that it is serious about putting a respectable product on the field and that means not only with lip service, self-serving platitudes, but with W's, consistently.

The Saints situation is irrelevant.

Not trying to take you to task, Turv, but the guy who wrote that letter doesn't have a clue.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
TURVS71
Swell

I hear you. I guess I was just agreeing that we were here first and have taken a backseat to the Saints, understandable in some aspects but self-inflicted in many aspects.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

No doubt, turv. And too many people don't know that.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

If Tulane decides to become important to New Orleans from an athletic standpoint it will. The Saints didnt draw people when they lost either. I spent many a Saturday night and Sunday morning from 93-99 in an empty Superdome. The difference? After Katrina the Saints yanked Tom Benson from the spotlight and put forward Rita, Loomis, Payton, and Brees and started winning. They committed to winning and remaking their image publically after the disaster that was the "San Antonio/Baton Rouge Crisis". Have we yanked Scott Cowen and Rick Dickson from the limelight and replaced them with young, energetic, and competent people? Quite frankly, after Benson's secret attempt to move the team the Saints had a much harder road from a public perception standpoint to travel, the lesson that was taught as always was, "Winning cures all Ills". Tulane created a disaster in 2003 after an 8-5 season and a bowl win for absolutely no reason. We then tried to hide that after Katrina by blaming the problems we created with the pointless review on Katrina. I saw in 97 that if you hire the right guy in the conference we play in you can win that year. If Tulane fired Toledo in December, and went out with 1.5 million to hire the right head coach, I think we'd win 9 games this year. Maybe I'm delusional. If Tulane chooses to be relevant it will be relevant regardless of the Saints. New Orleans can surely support 2 winners. How many different boogeymen are Tulane people going to try and find until they realize the REAL BOOGEYMAN IS SCOTT F'N COWEN. 861-WAVE, WE REALLY WANT TO WIN, I PROMISE, BUT IF WE DON"T BLAME IT ON THE SAINTS, SCHOOLS THAT ADMIT THUGS, LSU BIASED NEWSPAPERS, RIVALS FOR NOT GIVING OUR RECRUITS ENOUGH STARS, KATRINA, GUSTAV, KATRINA, DID I MENTION KATRINA, DID YOU HEAR OUR SCHOOL ALMOST WENT BANKRUPT, SORRY BUT WE HAD TO REIMAGINE OUR SCHOOL BEFORE WE COULD WIN, MISINFORMATION, ETC, ETC, THE BCS, BLAH BLAH BLAH. I'm sick of hearing it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Do it, Sader!!! You're telling it like it is. Love it.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I would like to know where all of Tulane's FEMA money was spent
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RWR
Swell

Excellent post sader.
Pepper
Swell

HOF post Sader from a 9th ward tiger.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.