Big East basketball schools to officially split

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

The reality is that Tulane has nothing to do with the basketball schools' split. But the reality also is that Dickson and Cowen are completely responsible for why Tulane was used as a scapegoat.

Doing my own math, Cowen and Dickson inherited a basketball program that averaged more than 18 wins a year, and had six post season appearances in the 1990s. It's now in the gutter. They can always make lame arguments to defend their football record "well Tulane's always struggled in football" but in basketball they inherited a solid program that, had they kept the same standard, the basketball schools would've seen as a satisfying addition.

Again, not our fault the basketball schools bolted. But definitely Cowen and Dickson's fault that they felt at liberty to use us as a scapegoat.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Robert1969 wrote:The reality is that Tulane has nothing to do with the basketball schools' split. But the reality also is that Dickson and Cowen are completely responsible for why Tulane was used as a scapegoat.

Doing my own math, Cowen and Dickson inherited a basketball program that averaged more than 18 wins a year, and had six post season appearances in the 1990s. It's now in the gutter. They can always make lame arguments to defend their football record "well Tulane's always struggled in football" but in basketball they inherited a solid program that, had they kept the same standard, the basketball schools would've seen as a satisfying addition.

Again, not our fault the basketball schools bolted. But definitely Cowen and Dickson's fault that they felt at liberty to use us as a scapegoat.
++1
Ray
Surge

Robert1969 wrote:The reality is that Tulane has nothing to do with the basketball schools' split. But the reality also is that Dickson and Cowen are completely responsible for why Tulane was used as a scapegoat.

TRUE WORDS!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We as fans bash Old Dominion, UTSI, etc.... But our admin doesn't do so. Marquette admin is out of bounds for doing that. It's fair for the media to bash us but not some other school's admin.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

I think the Marquette AD is a schmuck and is in the wrong profession. Tulane was admitted on a unaminous vote, period.

The Big East lost Syracuse, ND, Pitt, Rutgers and Louisiville, of course the revenue was going to be less. The Catholic 7 has a majority vote for the time being (until July) and they chose to break off. Good for them. The hybrid has been walking the ledge for many moons. If they break off we can seize the moment and add some quality teams. We are and will be better off then where we were a month ago.

The national ridicule is just unwarranted. I know we suck in football and basketball and I've read the whole SC and RD thing till I'm bored to death. The bottom line is that the Big East Commissioner and the President of Marquette (who voted for Tulane) should reprimand this guy for running his mouth. He can blame anyone he wants, there RPI is in the toilet also. This trashing has everything to do with what I've just stated and ESPN stirring the pot to control the dollars and keep NBS Sports from going on to their turf. I hope we sign with NBC just to hack them off.

Now, I'm not endorsing RD and SC, but this break away has nothing to do with them, it's been brewing for years. Unless somehow someone can link Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. to Tulane....
Fred Dowler
Riptide

The Big East conference inviting TU to join may or may not have had 100 percent to do with the bball schools leaving (probably the truth is that it had somewhere more than zero percent and less than 100 percent so ponder that) but the most important aspects from the TU perspective is the fact of those schools leaving and what that will do to the Big East brand (while the broadcast rights are still being negotiated) and attractiveness on the local front of the lineup of conference opponents (will it still be necessary to use the New Orleans Arena for bball games?) and possibly whether the western schools leave and whether Houston and SMU join them in the Mountain West and possibly whether the conference will even continue to exist.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:It's like somebody inviting you to a party, showing up, and then they just tear you to shreds and publically ask: "WTF are you doing here? Nobody wants you here."

That's Marquette right now. Aresco and the Marquette President need to have a heart to heart with their AD and coach about whether this is the right business for them.
You're joking right? The whole point here is that college athletics are serious business to everyone else. This isn't charity that Tulane is entitled to, there are real results and dollars on the line for these universities and they have a legitimate concern that Tulane hurts their ability to be successful (the RPI argument holds water).

Perception is reality, and the perception is that even being in the same league as Tulane is enough to raise red flags. You can get angry about it, make excuses for it, whatever, but it's the case until something significant changes. Cowen/Dickson have destroyed Tulane's brand equity.

As of right now, "nobody wants [us] here". It's Cowen/Dickson who have to ask themselves if this is the right business for them. Not the other way around.
No, he's not joking. He's absolutely correct.
Fans don't want us because they look at last year's Sagarins or whatever. This AD's real problem is that he lost his milk wagons Syracuse and Louisville, and no one to replace them.
Presidents are another story. We've always struggled to some extent on the field, yet we're charter member of the SEC, the Metro, and C-USA. There are a lot of great things about Tulane, your hatred of Dickson/Cowen and refusal to attend a game notwithstanding.

You put your hatred of Dickson and Cowen above Tulane (just like many put coaches they like above the University), and that's sad.
Well it looks like it only took 24 hours to prove that I was 100% accurate in my criticisms. You'll have to explain to me the value of being a charter member of the SEC or Metro other than proving the major college athletics were once "a thing" at Tulane. It's not the fans who are objecting but the ADs.

My "hatred" of Cowen/Dickson is directly tied to how they've destroyed Tulane's brand equity. The bottom line is the national narrative is that the Big East would rather dissolve then associate with Tulane. You have to be a laughing stock for that to even be a possible narrative.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Was this story actually in fact the "huge news" that everyone was told was coming?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Wavetime
Swell

This has been coming for years.....how is it Tulane's fault? It is not. Once again, I am not saying that our product is good, I am saying that this breakup has been in the works for many years.
wavedat
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
The inclusion of Tulane as a new member of the Big East also reportedly has become a point of contention.

The New Orleans-based university has had a sub-par football and men's and women's basketball programs, which concerned other traditional league members. In addition, the Green Wave's men's basketball program was disbanded for seven years between 1981 and 1988, as a result of a point-shaving scandal involving players being paid in money and cocaine.

While people close to the conference told The Star-Ledger that Tulane was originally looked at as a positive addition because of its facilities -- football brought the Superdome and basketball would bring the New Orleans Arena -- and the reputation of its president, Metuchen native Scott Cowen, within NCAA academic and athletic circles, it's current state of critical programs could not be ignored
I guess they didn't here about that wondrous OCS. I can't believe the national media didn't point out about our massive $50 million dollar stadium.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
jmjclu
High Tide

this is a quote from what?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

jmjclu wrote:this is a quote from what?
http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/in ... rence.html

It was a feature in the Times Ledger, which is to say it's a more credible media source than the TP.

This is more insane "only at Tulane" stuff. I've been screaming about this for months and years, other conferences are interested in the Dome and NO Arena, not Yulman and Fogelman.

This is yet more documented proof that Cowen/Dickson are wildly incompetent.
sader24
Tsunami

I thought the Men's Basketball Program was disbanded fom 1985-88. Seems like an inaccurate statement.
capwave
High Tide

I am not a fan of SC or RD, but if any of u believe that these 7 schools left because Tulane joined then u are fooling yourself. Our athletics programs are in the garbage and hopefully we can climb out, but Tulane was not the cause of this split.
Green Wave
Swell

They have not left yet.

So this comes down to ethics versus greed. They have a short window to take the shot at the Big East and the reaming 3 voting schools if they vote as a block by dissolving the conference. In so doing, they would hang out to dry UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple and everyone else in the New Big East. They would then be alone to squabble over the money like a bunch of greedy heirs after the death of a family member.

ESPN tonight seemed to ease off of their earlier "sources say the C7 will break from the BE to tonight’s watered down Sports Center version of the C7 is leaning toward leaving the BE.

The Drama continues in the all consuming quest for money and power. Ok my fellow Catholics let’s see if you can pull the trigger.
ROLL WAVE!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This article in USA Today doesn't seem like the end of the world for the BE.
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1767387
Also at issue is the BCS automatic bid the Big East possesses for 2013, worth upward of $20 million. No matter what form the separation takes, the remaining football members would retain the bid, according to a high-ranking person with knowledge of the BCS structure. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the situation is still in the hypothetical stages.After that, it's difficult to say what the future holds. The person at one of the incoming Big East schools said returning to Conference USA wasn't an option. The all-sports schools could stick together and try to add more members (particularly in the West) as a national conference, or Boise State and San Diego State could seek to simply return to the Mountain West.

The basketball schools have two options. They could withdraw as a group. Normally that would entail an exit fee of at least $10 million and a 27-month waiting period. But in 2003 former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese pushed through an agreement that would eliminate the exit fees for either the football side of the conference or the basketball side if they left as a group. A two-year waiting period still would be enforced.

But by leaving, the basketball schools would forfeit receiving their part of the growing total of exit fees that have been paid or will be paid by Big East schools such as West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Rutgers, all which have left or are in the process of leaving the conference. They also could forfeit the valuable Big East "name'' and other residuals, including an automatic berth in the NCAA basketball tournament."It's not about dissolving," said one official with knowledge of the discussions. "It's about walking away."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

Can this happen by some miracle?
East: UCF, USF, Uconn, ECU, Temple, Cinci
West: UH, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa, So Miss

Hoops? 4 very strong programs and a few decent ones
Football good enough
even a handfull of good baseball programs, for those interested in that.

I guess it depends on what cinci, uconn and usf can find. but i would be ok with this conference.
wavedat
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
The inclusion of Tulane as a new member of the Big East also reportedly has become a point of contention.

The New Orleans-based university has had a sub-par football and men's and women's basketball programs, which concerned other traditional league members. In addition, the Green Wave's men's basketball program was disbanded for seven years between 1981 and 1988, as a result of a point-shaving scandal involving players being paid in money and cocaine.

While people close to the conference told The Star-Ledger that Tulane was originally looked at as a positive addition because of its facilities -- football brought the Superdome and basketball would bring the New Orleans Arena -- and the reputation of its president, Metuchen native Scott Cowen, within NCAA academic and athletic circles, it's current state of critical programs could not be ignored
This also leads you to conclude that conference football games were going to be made to be played in the Dome. Of course the bumbling idiots didn't want that known as they are still trying to raise the money for the ocs.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I still believe there is a small chance that a few Bball only school can be added and this thing can be saved for a few years.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Can this happen by some miracle?

Football good enough

I guess it depends on what cinci, uconn and usf can find. but i would be ok with this conference.
Basically pretty much what C-USA has been up until just recently. After all of the hoopla.
tgw
Ripple

Football good enough

I would try to keep Boise and SDSU as FB only members plus add some other western FB schools (e.g., Fresno, UNLV, and BYU) to keep them happy, if possible. Why not? I think Boise gives us some FB credibility that none of the others have.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now.
-Bob Monkhouse
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tgw wrote:

Football good enough

I would try to keep Boise and SDSU as FB only members plus add some other western FB schools (e.g., Fresno, UNLV, and BYU) to keep them happy, if possible. Why not? I think Boise gives us some FB credibility that none of the others have.
This scenario is just fine with me. If UConn, Temple and Boise stay in, this is much better then the old CUSA and would demand a solid TV contract. Remember, these programs are all on the up swing and will be competing against each other for an invitation to play with the big boys. They are all in a better position then the old CUSA, Tulane included. There is still a worse case where UConn and Cincy bolt to the ACC, Boise declines and the more western schools (SMU, UH etc.) team up and go to the MWC only to leave us holding our penis alone in a room with Southern Miss watching us.
galvezwave
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:

Football good enough

Basically pretty much what C-USA has been up until just recently. After all of the hoopla.
Totall disagree, Fred, unless you're going way, way back. Even if you are Uconn and Temple are major basketball upgrades. Massive. not to mention cinci. South Florida is a sleeping giant. That east division is not bad at all football wise. Southern Miss and Houston will be back. Tulane would be fortunate to be in this group, probably doesnt deserve it.
galvezwave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tgw wrote:

Football good enough

This scenario is just fine with me. If UConn, Temple and Boise stay in, this is much better then the old CUSA and would demand a solid TV contract. Remember, these programs are all on the up swing and will be competing against each other for an invitation to play with the big boys. They are all in a better position then the old CUSA, Tulane included. There is still a worse case where UConn and Cincy bolt to the ACC, Boise declines and the more western schools (SMU, UH etc.) team up and go to the MWC only to leave us holding our penis alone in a room with Southern Miss watching us.
Haha. I believe, at the end of the day, that southern miss is the program tulane is "joined at the hip" with. Not Rice. I think they will end up together and I think its important that they do. Throw out this season. USM still brings cred. Tulane has nothing to bring to the party. Would like to keep that nucleus of Tulane USM houston and memphis and maybe Tulsa as absolute worst case. Next step is sunbelt. This thing needs to work out, really.