It is now time to support this Athletic Department and Admin

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Haven't commented on much in some time, been a little under the weather but feeling better.
I have been a vocal poster and have said publicly how I feel and have not held back criticism when I felt it was necessary. Now, with the move to the Big East, I feel it is time to actively and publicly support this Athletic Department and Administration. That does not mean that I will support every decision that they make, that would be foolish. We are at a point that all of us have wanted and many of us, including myself , NEVER thought that we would get there that fast but we are. It is time to support the stadium. Perhaps some of the comments and pressures of this forum contributed in some small way to add pressure.

It is time to support the stadium. Sure it should be bigger and fancier but it is what it is and should begin to rise on the campus early next year. We need to keep up the pressure, support this program and basically force TU to do what it has to to make that stadium grow and be upgraded.

The Athletic Department and Administration are now in public view and pretty much have to make smart decisions, decisions that won't make them look like fools on a national stage. They pretty much are in the position we all wanted, the position of now being held accountable for their actions. Membership in the Big East pretty much forces them into this position, in my opinion.

I will more than likely upgrade my basketball season tickets (2) and increase my TAF contribution along with renewal of my baseball tickets (3) and football tickets (4).

Do I trust the dynamic duo completely , of course not, but I feel that the actions that have occurred do show a commitment (level to still be determined) and that we need to support this.

This does not mean that we shouldn't hold their feet to the fire, (as was/is one of the purpose of GOTULA) but do it with fact and just not be animosity driven.

This is just my opinion. You should continue to, as Hap Glaudi used to say, "speak as you please."

All I am saying is, just realize that we came back from basically being dead with a chance to rapidly move forward if things are done correctly and timely. Let's continue to keep the pressure on them but at the same time I feel it is necessary to show tangible support. Lets face it, without Cowen giving his blessing, we wouldn't be talking Big East....Still not fully trusting of the guy (would cover my wallet if I shook hands with him) but we are IN where we thought we wouldn't be for quite some....We have to now take some of the responsibility to move forward.....

Just my take..

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:..... Perhaps some of the comments and pressures of this forum contributed in some small way to add pressure.

I will more than likely upgrade my basketball season tickets (2) and increase my TAF contribution along with renewal of my baseball tickets (3) and football tickets (4).

Do I trust the dynamic duo completely , of course not, but I feel that the actions that have occurred do show a commitment (level to still be determined) and that we need to support this.

This does not mean that we shouldn't hold their feet to the fire, (as was/is one of the purpose of GOTULA) but do it with fact and just not be animosity driven.

This is just my opinion. You should continue to, as Hap Glaudi used to say, "speak as you please."

All I am saying is, just realize that we came back from basically being dead with a chance to rapidly move forward if things done correctly and timely. Let's continue to keep the pressure on them but at the same time I feel it is necessary to show tangible support. Lets face it, without Cowen giving his blessing, we wouldn't be talking Big East....Still not fully trusting of the guy (would cover my wallet if I shook hands with him) but we are IN where we thought we wouldn't be for quite some....We have to now take some of the responsibility to move forward.....

Just my take..
+1
Same here! Next we need to see a commitment to W's. Building new facilities helps, but it won't guarantee anyone a winner. Need to hire the best coaches available.
The talent pool down here blows away most of the Big East combined, now let's go get it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ray
Surge

TURVS71 wrote:Haven't commented on much in some time, been a little under the weather but feeling better.
I have been a vocal poster and have said publicly how I feel and have not held back criticism when I felt it was necessary. Now, with the move to the Big East, I feel it is time to actively and publicly support this Athletic Department and Administration. That does not mean that I will support every decision that they make, that would be foolish. We are at a point that all of us have wanted and many of us, including myself , NEVER thought that we would get there that fast but we are. It is time to support the stadium. Perhaps some of the comments and pressures of this forum contributed in some small way to add pressure.

It is time to support the stadium. Sure it should be bigger and fancier but it is what it is and should begin to rise on the campus early next year. We need to keep up the pressure, support this program and basically force TU to do what it has to to make that stadium grow and be upgraded.

The Athletic Department and Administration are now in public view and pretty much have to make smart decisions, decisions that won't make them look like fools on a national stage. They pretty much are in the position we all wanted, the position of now being held accountable for their actions. Membership in the Big East pretty much forces them into this position, in my opinion.

All I am saying is, just realize that we came back from basically being dead with a chance to rapidly move forward if things are done correctly and timely. Let's continue to keep the pressure on them but at the same time I feel it is necessary to show tangible support. Lets face it, without Cowen giving his blessing, we wouldn't be talking Big East....Still not fully trusting of the guy (would cover my wallet if I shook hands with him) but we are IN where we thought we wouldn't be for quite some....We have to now take some of the responsibility to move forward.....

Just my take..
Good Post!!
JDTulane
Riptide

I have wbb season tix even though I can get in for free. I'll do the same for baseball.
wavedat
Swell

Understand where you are coming from but again this is why Tulane never really succeeds athletically. The stadium should never be supported. It is beneath Tulane to play in such a small, cheap facility. We'll still be playing the same teams we play now so it's imperative we schedule way up in ooc play. We can do that in the dome . Whereas in the ocs we'll be playing slu and usa and the program will never grow.

As for SC/RD they did nothing here. We got in b/c of our location. Cowen blasted this very conference just a few months ago and said anyone that thinks it's a power conference doesn't know anything about college athletics. They must both go ASAP for us to move forward. Unfortunately too many are too willing to look the other way too easily to ever have this athletic department ever get it right.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wavedat wrote:Understand where you are coming from but again this is why Tulane never really succeeds athletically. The stadium should never be supported. It is beneath Tulane to play in such a small, cheap facility. We'll still be playing the same teams we play now so it's imperative we schedule way up in ooc play. We can do that in the dome . Whereas in the ocs we'll be playing slu and usa and the program will never grow.

As for SC/RD they did nothing here. We got in b/c of our location. Cowen blasted this very conference just a few months ago and said anyone that thinks it's a power conference doesn't know anything about college athletics. They must both go ASAP for us to move forward. Unfortunately too many are too willing to look the other way too easily to ever have this athletic department ever get it right.
I agree with this.

This is the time to be more critical, not less critical. All the Big East move proved is that Tulane is and can be further relevant in college athletics if it plays this right. Before when Cowen was professing his love for CUSA and talking about the Tulane Model, whether the stadium got built didn't matter as much because the athletic program was going to die either way. Now there's a new outlook.

In fact, if these rumors are true about both Yulman and Fogelman being expanded, then we have absolute proof of the misguided strategy that those two have set forth. Once again, changing plans under the cover of secrecy so as not to admit as much.

As soon as Cowen/Dickson come start operating like responsible adults who communicate and deal honestly, then MAYBE it would be time to give them support. Until such a time, please stop trying to passively aggressively get people to support a flawed stadium idea that you support regardless.
DrBox
Riptide

Everyone needs to step up. The fans need to give money, buy tickets and go to games. The coaches need to start winning. Dickson needs to stop coddling non-performing coaches (coddling is kind - he often rewards them) and start hiring hard-ass quality coaches, and Cowen needs to continue to build facilities and put money into these programs.
sader24
Tsunami

I'm cautiously optimistic. These guys have done too much wrong for me to be too excited, but I do see some signs of things changing. I would love nothing more than to never have to complain about the administration again and hopefully this is the 1st step in that direction.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
wavedat wrote:Understand where you are coming from but again this is why Tulane never really succeeds athletically. The stadium should never be supported. It is beneath Tulane to play in such a small, cheap facility. We'll still be playing the same teams we play now so it's imperative we schedule way up in ooc play. We can do that in the dome . Whereas in the ocs we'll be playing slu and usa and the program will never grow.

I agree with this.

This is the time to be more critical, not less critical. All the Big East move proved is that Tulane is and can be further relevant in college athletics if it plays this right. Before when Cowen was professing his love for CUSA and talking about the Tulane Model, whether the stadium got built didn't matter as much because the athletic program was going to die either way. Now there's a new outlook.

In fact, if these rumors are true about both Yulman and Fogelman being expanded, then we have absolute proof of the misguided strategy that those two have set forth. Once again, changing plans under the cover of secrecy so as not to admit as much.

As soon as Cowen/Dickson come start operating like responsible adults who communicate and deal honestly, then MAYBE it would be time to give them support. Until such a time, please stop trying to passively aggressively get people to support a flawed stadium idea that you support regardless.
LOL dude give it a rest.

The stadium goal is 30K capacity. Its expandable and if you take your damn jaded glasses off and looked at the Nimby side you would see an entire side that could be expanded with an upper deck if the demand skyrockets. The power to enforce it would be greater because more people would want it. A handful of Nimbys would be an annoyance and something to moan and groan about but, in the end, Tulane and its fans would prevail.

Football is comming back to campus!

ROLL WAVE!
ROLL WAVE!
wavedat
Swell

DrBox wrote:Everyone needs to step up. The fans need to give money, buy tickets and go to games. The coaches need to start winning. Dickson needs to stop coddling non-performing coaches (coddling is kind - he often rewards them) and start hiring hard-ass quality coaches, and Cowen needs to continue to build facilities and put money into these programs.
They have still done nothing. Tulane needs to step up its support of athletics big time and then fans might consider supporting Tulane.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I am still waiting for accountability. Case in point, instead of replacing the volleyball coach after a horrendous 6-21 season, the coach just announced his recruiting class. Where is the accountability? I expect to see the same with Conroy. I don't see any improvemnet with mens basketball, and Conroy is more likely to get a contract extension, than the boot. This means Tulane will be utterly embarrassed when we get into the Big East.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:I am still waiting for accountability. Case in point, instead of replacing the volleyball coach after a horrendous 6-21 season, the coach just announced his recruiting class. Where is the accountability? I expect to see the same with Conroy. I don't see any improvemnet with mens basketball, and Conroy is more likely to get a contract extension, than the boot. This means Tulane will be utterly embarrassed when we get into the Big East.
Well, the won/loss record is probably going to be kinda like it's been. After all, who are you going to be playing, if not familiar foes such as Houston, SMU, Memphis, Central FL, East Carolina?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I agree with this.

LOL dude give it a rest.

The stadium goal is 30K capacity. Its expandable and if you take your damn jaded glasses off and looked at the Nimby side you would see an entire side that could be expanded with an upper deck if the demand skyrockets. The power to enforce it would be greater because more people would want it. A handful of Nimbys would be an annoyance and something to moan and groan about but, in the end, Tulane and its fans would prevail.

Football is comming back to campus!

ROLL WAVE!
"Skyrocketing demand" being predicted here? And the critics/skeptics are the ones being less than objective?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:I am still waiting for accountability. Case in point, instead of replacing the volleyball coach after a horrendous 6-21 season, the coach just announced his recruiting class. Where is the accountability?
I agree with that.
It's a disgrace that Dickson rewarded the volleyball coach for running our program into the ground.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Two years ago Dickson rewarded Toledo with a contract extension.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote: In fact, if these rumors are true about both Yulman and Fogelman being expanded, then we have absolute proof of the misguided strategy that those two have set forth. Once again, changing plans under the cover of secrecy so as not to admit as much.

Amen.

It's intolerable how the TU powers-who-are are always so secretive and always so wont to practice subterfuge and then turn around and pressure alumni and fans to support what they do and that they would continue to be like that.

Go ahead BTW and blast the Audubon Blvd. group but really and truly they say that Cowen et al. are not to be trusted but rather are likely to look to pull a fast one if and when they can and are they wrong about that? No way they are.

The TU powers-who-are, more than anything, got lucky that the Big Ten(plus 2) made their move and saved TU from having to be part of the latest C-USA and instead are letting TU land more-or-less right where they've been and that's the main thing that TU is getting out of this, i.e. TU isn't really moving ahead so much as not falling behind badly and off a cliff (yet) and so, bottom line, no one's impressions of the TU leadership should be significantly changed. Those folks have NOT earned anything yet and or proven anything yet about having any significantly stronger commitment to winning and beating quality teams but instead appear for the moment just to be their same old selves doing the same BS as they have typically done all these years.

And then the same old song about "everyone needs to support this...."

Good lord, is now the time to be, instead of blindly more supportive, 20 times more scrutinous of these people than ever? You bet it is.
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Two years ago Dickson rewarded Toledo with a contract extension.
I know. And he extended scelfo after a 5 win season and a deceptive 6 win season that was mostly bad. His clowning with coaches must cease.
Wavetime
Swell

We can sit here and complain all we want about the stadium and RD/SC. The fact is that, for whatever Devine reason, the Big East came calling.

I am a single parent with a son at Syracuse and 2 in grammar school and I just bought a flex pack to the men's basketball games. It is time to support the Wave! I have not contributed to TAF for 2 years but will this year.

If we get our butts stomped in the Big East then heads will roll, they will have to.

If you don't want to give then go to a few extra games. We have a small fan base and all want the samething.
TURVS71
Swell

Wavetime wrote:We can sit here and complain all we want about the stadium and RD/SC. The fact is that, for whatever Devine reason, the Big East came calling.

I am a single parent with a son at Syracuse and 2 in grammar school and I just bought a flex pack to the men's basketball games. It is time to support the Wave! I have not contributed to TAF for 2 years but will this year.

If we get our butts stomped in the Big East then heads will roll, they will have to.

If you don't want to give then go to a few extra games. We have a small fan base and all want the samething.
Agreed. It IS time to support this program both financially and attendance wise. It is childish now to continue to hold those grudges against RD and SC . I specifically said in my post that I don't agree with all their actions and decisions . We are in the Big East now and need to act like it. Sure it's not TU's money being spent on facilities but it's "raised funds" and one must admit that the facilities and future facility plans were a MAJOR factor in the invitation. It is your choice to act like a child, stomp your foot and bitch about everything . Bitch when appropriate, give credit when appropriate .

Time to stand up, contribute and attend, not just for TU but for OUR conference because you never know who is watching and may just want you with them!

I am seriously considering upping my TAF level to Associate. We have our foot in the door it is up to us fans and the University to get real. Accountability is now public and present. It will have to be done right or we won't last. I don't think that we made this jump just to fail....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
wavedat
Swell

It's not about grudges or being childish. It's business. Fans are customers and want a return on investment. Childish is trying to tell others what they have to do w/their hard earned money.
Wavetime
Swell

That's the thing Wavedat, we are getting a return on investment. The scheduling in each and every sport will be upgraded immensely (maybe with the exception of baseball).

I don't like the stadium, oh well,,,,,,I will however be there in 2 years to watch Cinn, SMU, USF, UCF, UCONN etc or whoever is on our schedule. The stadium will expand, some say to 42k. Devlin will expand to 6k. It may take a few years but with a positive revenue stream, probably triple TV exposure and better recruiting the games will be FUN again.

Who knows, if Clemson and NC State go to the SEC and Miami and Fla St go to the Big 12, the Big East and ACC may merge to be something like the Big Atlantic or something.

We need ya, go to a game if you are not going to support.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Bitch when appropriate, give credit when appropriate.
What has the TU leadership actually done to earn anything? TU has happened to be in the right spot to get a lucky break after the Big Ten(plus whatever) enticed Maryland and Rutgers to join up and set a chain reaction in motion.

Was there that much done by the TU leadership that's creditworthy there?

Being able to deliver the New Orleans market does NOT count BTW as something affirmative that the TU leadership has done (and how much of the New Orleans market that TU can deliver right now is of course pretty debatable) and please don't try to sell me that the rinky-dink football stadium and the umpteenth renovation of the less-than-4000 seat bball arena did the trick. None of that is going to fly here.

Ergo, the only thing that you can and you should be willing to give credit for is wins against, say, Houston, East Carolina, Cincinnati (if they don't wind up in some other conference), Boise St. (same story) and wins against the traditional big name programs (plus Memphis and Cincinnati) of the Big East in bball.
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sader24
Tsunami

To be completely honest and accurate while the scheduling in basketball will be noticeably different the scheduling in football and baseball will be very similar and even weaker in baseball's case. Our schedule will be stronger than it would've been had we remained in CUSA, but no stronger than it is now. I'm all for this move and I'm all for supporting the athletic department, but from a football standpoint we haven't really moved up, we've simply not been left behind. The Big East in football is just CUSA circa the late 90's. I will however be upping my football tickets back to 4 and probably donating to TAF. I'm optimistic, but let's just be honest about what the Big East is.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:The Big East in football is just CUSA circa the late 90's.
Pretty much except for Boise St. (an evolving story?), that's just about right. Just swap out USM who's not a part of this for the moment, and who from 1999 to 2001 wasn't too shabby for their part, for them.
wavedat
Swell

Wavetime wrote:That's the thing Wavedat, we are getting a return on investment. The scheduling in each and every sport will be upgraded immensely (maybe with the exception of baseball).

I don't like the stadium, oh well,,,,,,I will however be there in 2 years to watch Cinn, SMU, USF, UCF, UCONN etc or whoever is on our schedule. The stadium will expand, some say to 42k. Devlin will expand to 6k. It may take a few years but with a positive revenue stream, probably triple TV exposure and better recruiting the games will be FUN again.

Who knows, if Clemson and NC State go to the SEC and Miami and Fla St go to the Big 12, the Big East and ACC may merge to be something like the Big Atlantic or something.

We need ya, go to a game if you are not going to support.
Wavetime there is no return yet. We have no idea where we will really wind up come 2014. More importantly until Tulane completely drops the Model there will continue to be no return on investment. I know our fans are desperate for something to celebrate but for now we have a lot to wait and see on.