It is now time to support this Athletic Department and Admin

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Like the Toledo extension?
Yes. Had CBT been given the proper tools to win and couldn't 99% of schools would have fired him after year 3, USM just fired their coach after one year because they give their coaches everything necessary to win. We haven't.
The truth indeed. Even though some people don't want to accept it -- which is NOT to say that Bob Toledo or anybody is or was in fact a great coach but just that we really, really need to identify and pinpoint the root cause of the problem, which is at the top of the institution.

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JDTulane
Riptide

Toledo saw some glaring coaching deficiencies in the end, whether he was properly supported or not.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Then gentlemen, enjoy your Kool-Aid!!!

Or maybe respond to what we say instead of regurgitating.
LOL

You are one to talk about not responding directly to a point being raised.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JDTulane
Riptide

sader24 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:A million community service hours donated last year. Yeah, no one has heard of the program. Either you're hiding in an ivory tower in Old Metairie, you don't have kids in any school in New Orleans, or you don't even live in Louisiana.

And I knocked the PE degree on purpose. But you STILL don't get why. That's okay.

You knocked the PE Degree on purpose and sounded like an a##hole doing it. If you were in fact knocking to simply bait people into saying something so you could come back on them with the Cowen Empowers B.S. congrats on a successful trap being laid. However while you are busy pointing out our hypocrisy you are also busy completely ignoring Cowen's hypocrisy. If Cowen is so committed to "Empowering the Community" and truly being an influential part in making a New Orleans a better place then why is he too chicken sh*t to do something that would truly empower New Orleanians "Offer a P.E. degree that would help mostly local athletes not only graduate with a valuable Tulane degree, but also have these athletes representing both the city and University on the field and on tv?" He's fine making college kids do community service, he is not fine with putting the academic reputation of himself and the University on the line by allowing the same people he is helping to attend Tulane and get a degree. He'll help THEM but he won't educate THEM. You know because what if one of THEM committted an armed robbery or beat a kid up at a bar or stole a laptop or stole a purse. His service program could be taken more seriously if he walked the walk on all fronts which he doesnt.
I think this is a great post and I agree with you immensely. I think a PE degree will do worlds of good. And yes, trap laid. If I were to bash someone using their degree to become an educator of some form I would be the BIGGEST hypocrite ever, since that is what I have done.
LOL

And what point is that? I agree that our coaches are under supported and under funded and that leads to a multitude of failures. I was just pointing out Bob Toledo still sucked regardless. *EDIT* PM'd you Fred *EDIT*
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:A million community service hours donated last year. Yeah, no one has heard of the program. Either you're hiding in an ivory tower in Old Metairie, you don't have kids in any school in New Orleans, or you don't even live in Louisiana.

And I knocked the PE degree on purpose. But you STILL don't get why. That's okay.
I got why. You have an axe to grind b/c no one wants to give rave reviews to this program you like. It was stupid b/c this is issue of the PE degree is the linchpin to Tulane having real athletic success.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:

You knocked the PE Degree on purpose and sounded like an a##hole doing it. If you were in fact knocking to simply bait people into saying something so you could come back on them with the Cowen Empowers B.S. congrats on a successful trap being laid. However while you are busy pointing out our hypocrisy you are also busy completely ignoring Cowen's hypocrisy. If Cowen is so committed to "Empowering the Community" and truly being an influential part in making a New Orleans a better place then why is he too chicken sh*t to do something that would truly empower New Orleanians "Offer a P.E. degree that would help mostly local athletes not only graduate with a valuable Tulane degree, but also have these athletes representing both the city and University on the field and on tv?" He's fine making college kids do community service, he is not fine with putting the academic reputation of himself and the University on the line by allowing the same people he is helping to attend Tulane and get a degree. He'll help THEM but he won't educate THEM. You know because what if one of THEM committted an armed robbery or beat a kid up at a bar or stole a laptop or stole a purse. His service program could be taken more seriously if he walked the walk on all fronts which he doesnt.
I think this is a great post and I agree with you immensely. I think a PE degree will do worlds of good. And yes, trap laid. If I were to bash someone using their degree to become an educator of some form I would be the BIGGEST hypocrite ever, since that is what I have done.
LOL

And what point is that? I agree that our coaches are under supported and under funded and that leads to a multitude of failures. I was just pointing out Bob Toledo still sucked regardless. *EDIT* PM'd you Fred *EDIT*
No trap laid. If it had been posted first in order to draw people in that's a trap. Instead it was just a selfish response to a serious issue.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yes. Had CBT been given the proper tools to win and couldn't 99% of schools would have fired him after year 3, USM just fired their coach after one year because they give their coaches everything necessary to win. We haven't.
The truth indeed. Even though some people don't want to accept it -- which is NOT to say that Bob Toledo or anybody is or was in fact a great coach but just that we really, really need to identify and pinpoint the root cause of the problem, which is at the top of the institution.
No one disputes that Tulane needs to make some major changes to give coaches a chance to succeed. However, it is revisionist history to try and say RD didn't make changes b/c of that. He has made it clear he doesn't believe you should judge by wins and losses. Players say he doesn't care about them or athletics. That's damning. He is the worst D-1 AD. No one comes close.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: He has made it clear he doesn't believe you should judge by wins and losses...
Yep that too.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

winwave wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No one disputes that Tulane needs to make some major changes to give coaches a chance to succeed. However, it is revisionist history to try and say RD didn't make changes b/c of that. He has made it clear he doesn't believe you should judge by wins and losses. Players say he doesn't care about them or athletics. That's damning. He is the worst D-1 AD. No one comes close.
I didn't mean to sound like I was aiming to defend Dickson. Obviously he's a company man following the company line and willingly so.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Then gentlemen, enjoy your Kool-Aid!!!

Or maybe respond to what we say instead of regurgitating.
That's really rich coming from you.

Numerous posters have explained why "we can just play our big games at the Dome" isn't a viable answer to you yet you've continued to push that line.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:PE degree, churning out tomorrow's elementary school dodgeball coaches. Yet people on this board have a problem with community service requirements and turning out future do gooders.
You're a smart, well intentioned young man but this is absolutely absurd. Once you leave the confines of the education system, you find out that understanding the way things are in reality is more important than how you wish they might be. When you start trying to pay down that student debt or buy a house or a car you'll be shocked to learn that they won't accept good intentions or evidence of your high-falutin' degree as a replacement for payment.

An elementary school teacher is not only a very noble and worthy pursuit, but it also comes with a paycheck. Community service is, by definition, volunteer work and nothing that can be considered a career. Volunteer work is great, but cannot be considered a worthy pursuit at a cost of $250K over 4 years or worthy of comparison to any job that comes with a paycheck including sanitory engineer.

Please leave that ridiculous strawman out of the discussion.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:I posted this in another thread-

As I said earlier this is a good day. We escaped CUSA before its demise. For the most part we are back in the earlier version of CUSA. Under SC/RD we have been the dregs of CUSA. That's why this is no time to laud the two buffoons. Now is the time to be on them like never before to get it right. This is what we need from them:

1) PE major. Sports Mgt. alone doesn't even come close to what we need if we want a serious upgrade in talent. If we want to get athletes in and keep them eligible there is no substitute for the PE major.

2) Relaxation of juco transfer requirements.

3) Money poured into coaches salaries for football and MBB.

4) Money poured into the recruiting budgets of football and MBB.

5) IPF not the POSS. We need an IPF we don't need the POSS. Once the POSS is built SC/RD won't be able to hide behind falsehoods anymore. It will be there for all to see what a cheap,small POSS it is. The BE won't be happy and conferences we really covet won't be pleased w/the falsehoods or the POSS.

6) New 7,500 seat basketball arena.

Now get to it SC/RD.

Until Tulane does ALL of those things there is no sense in investing more in Tulane athletics.

Let me add this. Like many of you I received a lot of congratulatory calls this week. They were from people who used to buy season tix, donate to TAF and got to our games. While they were all happy for me not a single one said they were back on board. The needle wasn't moved by this. So Tulane needs to make a very visible commitment by doing all of the above. There is no chicken/egg situation here. Tulane needs to put up IT'S money in a big way. They have to invest huge sums for at least a decade to make up for the six decades of neglect. At that point the fan base would be such that then the school could pull back and let the fans pay the freight. There is no other way. Get to it Tulane.
Great post.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
Wave755 wrote:How clueless is Dickson? For his “Live Chat” on October 16. 2012 he wrote the following:

“Rick Dickson:
As you know, conference alignment is a shifting landscape and we continue to be involved in discussions about what is happening with each conference. If an opportunity arises that can have positive impact on Tulane, we would pursue further discussions. We think for the foreseeable future, there will be no significant realignment of conferences.”

I will always support TULANE; I will never offer support for the two stooges, Cowen/Dickson.
Yeah he was really asleep at this switch on this whole Big East thing. If he had been more engaged, maybe we would have gotten that Big East invitation instead of Tulsa.

Seriously, there's plenty to criticize Dickson over, but I'm not sure that the above quote is one of them. Nobody foresaw Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big 10. Once they did, Rick acted very rapidly.
Oh, please. There is a long, consistent history of Rick Dickson saying dumb incompetent things. "Tied at the hip", "We don't judge by wins and losses", "flower beds", "go across the street", his recent comments trying to explain that the CBT extension really was a good idea, etc.

The fact is, he said:
We think for the foreseeable future, there will be no significant realignment of conferences.
and yet there has been huge, significant realignment in the very near future. Just like Tulane to the Big East happened within days, the ACC developments came about within a few days and so the bottom line is that major realignment can and does happen quickly and frequently. So Dickson was way off about a significant issue yet again.

That Dickson made a phone call rather than sitting on his hands doesn't change the fact that he proves that he's both clueless and incompetent on a routine basis.
JDTulane
Riptide

At least he doesn't have a gambling problem.
Wave755
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
Wave755 wrote:How clueless is Dickson? For his “Live Chat” on October 16. 2012 he wrote the following:

“Rick Dickson:
As you know, conference alignment is a shifting landscape and we continue to be involved in discussions about what is happening with each conference. If an opportunity arises that can have positive impact on Tulane, we would pursue further discussions. We think for the foreseeable future, there will be no significant realignment of conferences.”

I will always support TULANE; I will never offer support for the two stooges, Cowen/Dickson.
Yeah he was really asleep at this switch on this whole Big East thing. If he had been more engaged, maybe we would have gotten that Big East invitation instead of Tulsa.

Seriously, there's plenty to criticize Dickson over, but I'm not sure that the above quote is one of them. Nobody foresaw Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big 10. Once they did, Rick acted very rapidly.
Oh, please. There is a long, consistent history of Rick Dickson saying dumb incompetent things. "Tied at the hip", "We don't judge by wins and losses", "flower beds", "go across the street", his recent comments trying to explain that the CBT extension really was a good idea, etc.

The fact is, he said:
We think for the foreseeable future, there will be no significant realignment of conferences.
and yet there has been huge, significant realignment in the very near future. Just like Tulane to the Big East happened within days, the ACC developments came about within a few days and so the bottom line is that major realignment can and does happen quickly and frequently. So Dickson was way off about a significant issue yet again.

That Dickson made a phone call rather than sitting on his hands doesn't change the fact that he proves that he's both clueless and incompetent on a routine basis.
Plus 1, Dickson is a proven bufoon.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote: Plus 1, Dickson is a proven bufoon.
Proven over and over and over and over...
Ruski
Swell

To everyone shouting for the PE major. We don't need it. We just need an 'easy' major. Don't let the facts get in the way...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=6932700
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We do need it. It has a successful history in the periods it was offered. The proposed major at Tulane is sports mgt. which will be in the business school. Our fortunes will stay the same if that's all they add. That's the facts. Deal w/it.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

The whole point is that, if anyone remembers, TU used to have the University College.

Now the University College of course wasn't just for athletes but discontinuing it definitely did make things more difficult for the athletics programs, no two ways about it.

And who is there to thank for TU discontinuing to have the University College?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote:To everyone shouting for the PE major. We don't need it. We just need an 'easy' major. Don't let the facts get in the way...

When I was at Tulane PE was called kinesiology.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Ruski wrote:To everyone shouting for the PE major. We don't need it. We just need an 'easy' major. Don't let the facts get in the way...

When I was at Tulane PE was called kinesiology.
Isn't it called "Sports Medicine" now ??? :roll:
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Fred Dowler
Riptide

winwave
Top of the WAVE

BVH, the father of two of our players has pointed out we had a training table last year and this year we don't. Throw in our on the cheap basketball scheduling that the coach says is done by the school b/c they don't want to put up the guarantees to bring in decent competition and it's clear the school is not increasing the athletic budget.
sader24
Tsunami

What do you mean we don't have a training table?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Talking food and nutrition here.