Sources Sez...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

That Van C @ LSU has resigned (fired) according to my friend at the LSU Athletic Dept and Golf course buddy...and the underlying reason is his refusal to obey the bylaws of the NCAA and accept an WNIT bid if extended...."Pokey O' Pokey....where for art thou Pokey"...should be interesting upriver in the next few days

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
timlan2057
Ripple

WNIT or no, Van needed to go.

He was just mailing it in.

LSU getting Kim Mulkey is a pipe dream ... she won't leave Waco.

If LSU is smart, they will go after Lisa Stockton.

That job would be a nice step up for her, and I bet she could bring LSU back to the Final Four.

Van, unfortunately, has run the program down.
LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Timlan.. I enjoyed Van's teams when he was the Houston Comets coach...but why not accept the bid if offered and give your players more practice time...he quoted travel expenses, if LSU had won they would have hosted all the way to the Finals, as if LSU did not have the funds for travel if needed..him being retained as an assistant to the AD proves he was fired and did not resign..much like John Mackovic was an assistant to the AD here at Texas when Mack was brought in
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
timlan2057
Ripple

Oh, I would have accepted the bid if it had been me.

Story was: the school would have had to fund WNIT expenses. Most schools that make the WNIT need the exposure and are glad to get it.

LSU, used to going to Final Fours, obviously didn't need the exposure, and the WNIT is a step down.

Regardless, I think they should have gone and played.

But playing in the WNIT or not, it was time for Van to go and time for LSU women's basketball to enter the 21st century.

Van came in as a "grandfather" figure after the Pokey scandal.

Now, LSU needs an up-and-comer women's coach who can relate to the women he or she coaches.

Nikki Caldwell from UCLA would be another good choice--played for Pat Summitt at Tennessee, and is building a great program out west.

Perhaps she could be persuaded to return to SEC country.

I do think if LSU got Lisa Stockton to move upriver, they'd be making a great hire.
LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TimLan...the coach at Texas A&M and Houston need to get a look