Basketball HC Prospects

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell

Realistically Ed Conroy needs to go. Two twelfth place finishes in C-USA. Terrible recruiting. .459 winning percentage overall against embarrassing competition. Does anyone really think he'll be able to compete against G-Town, St. Johns, etc?

Also, Tulane actually has some real leverage now to go out and sign a big name up and coming coach. Big East basketball should be used to elevate this entire athletic program. Get a serious coach, some serious wins, and people will start to take the Tulane brand seriously.

I think Tulane can go in 3 directions.
1. A big name coach with buzz ala Mike Leach
2. An up and comer ala Hugh Freeze
3. A New Orleans guy ala Curtis Johnson

My suggestions:

1. Steve Prohm: A Tulane guy, took Murray State to NCAA in first season going 31-2 and top 10 ranking. Lots of LA contacts. Honestly I think we would have to move now or else he'll be too big for us. Would be an amazing hire.

2. Shaka Smart: .748 winning record at VCU. A final four appearance. Would be another big hire, currently making 1.2 mil at VCU

3. Scott Sutton: Took Oral Roberts to 3 NCAA appearances. a .607 record over 13 years.

4. Hot Rod Williams: :mrgreen:

Who would you want to see as Tulane HC going into Big East?

JDTulane
Riptide

VCU would be awesome but would demand big $. I would be proud of SC/RD if that happened.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Should we have a coaching change in the future I believe this time around the candidates will have a very different outlook on the job. Tulane has finally made good on promises (practice facility)and coaching in the BE for basketball is very attractive and would be considered by those in the business a "premier" coaching job.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
murphwave
High Tide

The facilities have been upgraded, the conference has been upgraded. I would assume that if we don't finish with 20 wins this year given the light schedule, that Conroy would be on the hot seat. I would be convinced otherwise if he had a decent season and was able to significantly upgrade recruiting between now and the spring signing period. He appears to put in more effort than others in the past at engaging the fan base. I hope he can succeed given this new gift of Big East affiliation.
Robert1969
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:VCU would be awesome but would demand big $. I would be proud of SC/RD if that happened.
Well, by the end of the basketball season, we should finally know the Big East's TV deal numbers. If it is around $10 million per team, then Cowen is going to have to spend money on coaching. No excuse not to at that point.
AugWave
Swell

LMAO @ Hot Rod
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
OUG
Riptide

After the SMU announced their move to the Big East, they hired Larry Brown, right?

So we have some leeway to think big here.

In the current C-USA, realistically, we probably couldn't throw money at someone even if we wanted to. Now, with the new facility, and the Big East? We can think pretty big if we want to open up our wallets. A great, highly experienced, brilliant basketball coach can turn a program into a tournament (or at least bubble) team in two years.

We can now attract those minds, if we want to pay for them. You want Steve Prohm? Pay Steve Prohm. We'll get him. Wouldn't have been the case last week.

And the hook is, we are about 3 years from being in position to join whatever the hell amalgamation happens on the east coast between ACC remnants and Big East members. We have the academic chops, the location, the market, the facilities. We need the success. We get that and we're in.

That's why Conroy needs to make the postseason this year or he is gone pecan.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

Phil Jackson is available
Tulane Class of 2004
TU23
High Tide

From what I've seen of Conroy, he's a nice guy, great head cheerleader and a crappy recruiter and coach. I don't have much faith in his ability to turn the program around. I see nothing so far that would indicate that this team is ready to even compete in CUSA, let alone the Big East...and we are playing a lot of experienced players (it's not like he can say we're young). I would hope that our next coach has had some success at another program and can hire the right assistants to recruit nationally.
JDTulane
Riptide

I think he's just tired and tired is not okay this early.
Highwave
Low Tide

hate to pi$$ in everyone's cheerios, but what in the last 10 yrs indicates Dickson will be willing to let Conroy go after this year? He will get at least another 2-3 yrs to "recruit with the Big East label" and then a chance coach that "Big East caliber" squad. He will be here for at least 5 yrs if he signs a big name local recruit.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I'll remind everyone that Conroy raised the money for the Fogelman renovations from his personal friends. With another "phase" yet to even start you can rest assured that Conroy's job is 100% safe no matter what happens this season.

We're in the Big East, but it's still Cowen/Dickson running the show. They didn't become competent overnight.
OUG
Riptide

Its called Devlin Fieldhouse. I'm assuming the majority or the critical mass of funds came from the Devlin family. Long time TU donors.

I'm not sure how much money Conroy raised from his buddies, but if you have a dollar amount you should share it.

We aren't going to keep him after a 3-13 conference season because he raised 50k for the program.
Bigschtick
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:I'll remind everyone that Conroy raised the money for the Fogelman renovations from his personal friends. With another "phase" yet to even start you can rest assured that Conroy's job is 100% safe no matter what happens this season.

We're in the Big East, but it's still Cowen/Dickson running the show. They didn't become competent overnight.

Exactly, no way is Conroy going anywhere while Dickson is at the helm. We are going to have to suffer thru several bad BB seasons first.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
JDTulane
Riptide

If you want Conroy out, the emails and money offers need to start after our first conference game blowout. But lets wait till that happens before we EJECT
AugWave
Swell

JDTulane wrote:If you want Conroy out, the emails and money offers need to start after our first conference game blowout. But lets wait till that happens before we EJECT
This man... is smarter than the average bear. :mrgreen:
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I know nothing about Coach Conroy's efforts raising money. All I know is from afar, and the record is not that great. I do think he's a class act, and think he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but the leash needs to be small at this point. He has his recruits in the fold now, and frankly I don't think they're an upgrade from Dickerson's recruits. If we have a sub .500 conference season, and don't land a recruiting class that raises eyebrows, I'd be ready to let him go.

The thread started by asking whom we'd like to see running the program were CowDick to have the foresight to make a change. I'd say there's quite a few big name coaches out there that could be had. But are they willing to shell out the multi-million dollar contracts that it will take to get them? Mid-Majors are paying big $$ for talented coaches, because it can pay off in a short period of time. I'd consider:

Scott Sutton, Oral Roberts
Mark Few, Gonzaga (could be REALLY tough to get him)
Steve Alford, New Mexico
Tommy Ammaker, Harvard

I'm sure there's more. What I'd really like to see is Ed Conroy step up the recruiting and contend for a C-USA title, making the point moot.

ROLL WAVE
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:Its called Devlin Fieldhouse. I'm assuming the majority or the critical mass of funds came from the Devlin family. Long time TU donors.

I'm not sure how much money Conroy raised from his buddies, but if you have a dollar amount you should share it.

We aren't going to keep him after a 3-13 conference season because he raised 50k for the program.
Sorry, no source. Remember reading that a good portion of the donations came from Conroy's personal rolodex but can't remember where. Would assume that came from someone here.
JDTulane
Riptide

I've read that too JJ. Who are the Fieldhouses?
sader24
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:Its called Devlin Fieldhouse. I'm assuming the majority or the critical mass of funds came from the Devlin family. Long time TU donors.

Sorry, no source. Remember reading that a good portion of the donations came from Conroy's personal rolodex but can't remember where. Would assume that came from someone here.

50K?? Try a few million.
torbida
Surge

Let's see the wins/loses before we give Conroy the thumbs down but my two choices would be Prohm or Smart.Can't wait for Big East basketball.