Tulane to the Big East

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
OUG
Riptide

If we assume either UL/UConn goes to the ACC, and the Notre Dame move has been executed by then, the basketball league will have 16 members in our first season, what in the hell are the divisions going to be? Will there be divisions? Will there be RPI protective scheduling that ensures Georgetown, UL, Memphis, Villanova, Marquette, and Temple get home and homes while Tulane plays UH, SMU, UCF, USF, and Providence?

If the latter, that would take some of the bloom off this. But I can't imagine that we would be playing in the New Orleans Arena if that was our schedule.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HSV wrote:Can we at least be happy and positive for an hour? My god some people really just live to be negative.

no one has said that Tulane has been invited to the SEC. We all know what this is. It is a step forward...something that almost never happens being a TU fan. Please allow people some time to enjoy this.

Tulane..this is your wake up call. You have used up your 9 lives...someone has thrown you a life preserver to sports relevancy. Now is not a time to be complacent...but it is a great start to work forward and be a part of the future of college athletics with a chance now of moving forward.

Basketball games against Temple, St. John's, Marquette, Georgetown, Memphis, etc... in the NO Arena will be interesting. A hell of a lot better than ODU, Rice, and Marshall.

Finally some good news....let's continue to build on this and go forward.
LOL. You ask folks not to be negative and then in the next sentence describe the situation as a life preserver for a program that has used up its nine lives. Exactly.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:As far as basketball goes. Country Day has the best 15 year old player in the nation (7'0" Thon Maker) and I'd bet he would love to play in the Big East in 4 years.
Big East power Georgetown made a living recruiting kids from here.
It's a game changer for EC. He now has EVERYTHING to go out and sign 4 and 5 star players from these parts and on the East Coast.
With this news, I am not sure Conroy will survive the year unless he finishes in the top 4 of CUSA and has a min of an NIT berth. BE basketball is full of legit coaches, not guys who go 49-76 at the Citadel. I like the guy and appreciate his TU passion, but the only thing that could save him is the fund raising efforts.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: I disagree. It is the opposite, this proves that baseline facilities are a huge factor. Without the NOLA Arena I am not sure this was possible and the BE went out of their way to point out the fact that conference games would be played there and not Devlin. Otherwise, the Bball heavy schools would not have supported this move. This again proves how crazy it was to spend $5mm on renovations without any added capacity.

Again, we are so lucky to get out of CUSA now. What would have happened if we stunk in the new CUSA, we would be dead. Please SC, enjoy this for a few days but you MUST MAINTAIN THE MOMENTUM, otherwise we will be right back to square one in five years as our new BE peers leave us behind for green er pastures.

1. Market
2. Faculties
3. Winning
4. Academics
Good post.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

November 27, 2012

Dear Green Wave Fans,

Today the BIG EAST welcomed your Tulane Green Wave as its newest member! Just 48 hours ago the presidents of the BIG EAST Conference voted unanimously to invite Tulane to compete in all sports starting in July 2014. We held a news conference today to make it official.

Tulane is joining a conference that has the largest footprint in college sports and one that has a storied history. Our coaches and student-athletes are thrilled with the opportunity to compete at the BIG EAST level. I’m also excited on a personal level because I’ve known BIG EAST Commissioner Mike Aresco for 25 years and his wealth of experience will benefit us greatly.

This is yet another step forward for our athletics program and Tulane University. Tulane presents an excellent resume – our academic profile as a major research and highly selective university with membership in the Association of American Universities and designation at the highest levels of research and civic engagement by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and our location in the New Orleans media and sports market, are both big plusses. Combine that with the huge number of alums we have along the East Coast, and the number of current students from that area, and it makes perfect sense for Tulane to join the conference.

I also should mention that the BIG EAST is very impressed with our facilities. In the last four years, we have committed $125 million to our athletics facilities and we continue to reap rewards from that investment.

The BIG EAST also believes in the future of Tulane athletics. From 1997 to 2005 we won more Conference USA championships than any other school. Yes, times have been lean as we recovered from Katrina, but our commitment is unwavering and we are clearly heading in the right direction now.

There is a bittersweet element to our move as we say goodbye to our friends at Conference USA. Commissioner Britton Banowsky has done a tremendous job in moving C-USA forward and he has my gratitude for his hard work. Tulane was a charter member of C-USA and it’s hard to cut those ties, but at this juncture the BIG EAST presents the best long-term opportunity for Tulane. Meanwhile, until we join the BIG EAST in July 2014, we will continue to be a member of C-USA.

I hope you all will agree that this has been a November to remember and one that will mark a tremendous step forward for Tulane Athletics.

One last thing, as we move through the calendar to 2014, don’t forget that first BIG EAST football game will be played on campus in Yulman Stadium!

Roll Wave and Roll BIG EAST!
Rick Dickson
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
greenie2005 wrote:Interesting read on the BIG EAST website.

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/A ... rence.aspx

BIG EAST basketball games will be played at the New Orleans Arena...
A great release as far as TU is concerned, I suggest everyone reads for a cheap pick me up. We will be like UConn, play some lesser opponents in Devlin and play the larger opponents in the Arena. As I said many times, Devlin is a major albatross and must be addressed. Also, thank you to Lisa S. and Rick J. for putting together programs that gave us some credibility.
Just goes to show you that facilities don't matter as much as TV markets. (Rutgers NY)
TV and media rights are now driving these conference moves.
The Dome and Nola Arena are assets that we failed to take advantage of. Overall I'm excited but would rather play basketball on campus.
Going to the nola arena is ok for the bigger draws (over 3,600). Either way I'll be there.
Roll Wave!
I disagree. It is the opposite, this proves that baseline facilities are a huge factor. Without the NOLA Arena I am not sure this was possible and the BE went out of their way to point out the fact that conference games would be played there and not Devlin. Otherwise, the Bball heavy schools would not have supported this move. This again proves how crazy it was to spend $5mm on renovations without any added capacity.
Again, we are so lucky to get out of CUSA now. What would have happened if we stunk in the new CUSA, we would be dead. Please SC, enjoy this for a few days but you MUST MAINTAIN THE MOMENTUM, otherwise we will be right back to square one in five years as our new BE peers leave us behind for green er pastures.

1. Market
2. Faculties
3. Winning
4. Academics
Amen.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
HSV
High Tide

that's not negative...it is a positive. When I'm drowning and someone saves me by throwing me a lifeline...I'm pretty damn happy. That is why I am happy about this and pointed out how important and "good news" this is.

But if you want to see it as a negative...that doesn't surprise me.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The only negative is that we have to wait until 2014. I wish we could be joining with UH, SMU, Memphis and the others next season.
One more year in the CUSA Belt is the only negative.
Roll Wave!
Tulane Class of 1981
HSV
High Tide

and by the way...for those who continue to rain on the good news of today...

You may continue to complain and pick apart this move but money talks...and while the TV deal negotiations are not yet completed for the BE, this will without question mean millions more per year for Tulane athletics. No ifs, ands or buts about it. That is the bottom line. With more money coming in the there is a chance for lots of positive outcomes to result.

Now what would also be great is to see what network the BE ends up being broadcast upon. Could it be that Tulane will be seen on the family of ESPN stations rather than CBS sports? Maybe the new upstart NBC sports which has become more relevant with its acquisition of the English Premier League, NHL, racing, MLS, and rumored role in bidding on the NBA. Fox is trying again launch a national sports station also.

Part of Tulane's problem has been its lack of relevancy in the sports world. It was not talked about or seen on TV by locals. If the Big East scores a good TV deal -- TU plays these schools in football and these marquee teams in basketball...Tulane will certainly benefit.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:

1. Market
2. Faculties
3. Winning
4. Academics
According to Scott Cowen listed in order as stated by the Big East

1. Academics & Research
2. Market (New Orleans)
3. Recovery from Katrina
4. Facilities
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

HSV wrote:and by the way...for those who continue to rain on the good news of today...

You may continue to complain and pick apart this move but money talks...and while the TV deal negotiations are not yet completed for the BE, this will without question mean millions more per year for Tulane athletics. No ifs, ands or buts about it. That is the bottom line. With more money coming in the there is a chance for lots of positive outcomes to result.

Now what would also be great is to see what network the BE ends up being broadcast upon. Could it be that Tulane will be seen on the family of ESPN stations rather than CBS sports? Maybe the new upstart NBC sports which has become more relevant with its acquisition of the English Premier League, NHL, racing, MLS, and rumored role in bidding on the NBA. Fox is trying again launch a national sports station also.

Part of Tulane's problem has been its lack of relevancy in the sports world. It was not talked about or seen on TV by locals. If the Big East scores a good TV deal -- TU plays these schools in football and these marquee teams in basketball...Tulane will certainly benefit.

plus 1 This is great news! Should help recruiting immensely!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

Terrific News!
I'm going to be giving to TAF once again.
Thanks,
for Showing Me!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

The big question going forward is to what extent the top four conferences now try to poach the better ACC programs and then push what's left of that conference down to non-Automatic Qualifier status while building the 4-conference 64-team tier of college football that we were discussing the other day.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

winwave wrote:
AugWave wrote:Damn.. where are the people that said we were committed to small time? I mean, this isn't BIG time, but it sure ain't SMALL time.

But fug all that! Our recruiting is gonna be even better now! C'mon down!!

Newsflash-it's still smalltime once all the schools move it's just not as smalltime.
Old foes, e.g. Houston, SMU, Memphis, East Carolina, Central Florida, maybe Louisville and Cincinnati, just under a different grouping. There's been all this hoopla and for sure the "other C-USA" would have meant a definite demise of the program but does anyone really see this line-up for football as more of a turn-on than it was before when TU was playing these teams regularly in conference play?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

1. Market
2. Faculties
3. Winning
4. Academics
According to Scott Cowen listed in order as stated by the Big East

1. Academics & Research
2. Market (New Orleans)
3. Recovery from Katrina
4. Facilities

Right, because a press release is the end all indicator on the situation, also SC is known for his honesty as well.. Have you seen the academic rankings of the teams the BE accepted in 2005? And ya sure, the BE really thought our Katrina recovery was important to the bid, they are just nice guys like that who would never put $$ ahead of morals.
The release was trying to highlight our strengths and academia love to talk classroom prestige on press releases. What were they going to talk about our W/L record in Bball/Fball or our 3800 seat high school gym (or both)? I am so pleased with this move and hate any negative talk, but facilities matter much more then #1 and #3, just take a look at Rice. They are out because Houston is in, despite Rice being a top20 national university with a $2000mm endowment.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OUG
Riptide

Fred Dowler wrote:
winwave wrote:
AugWave wrote:Damn.. where are the people that said we were committed to small time? I mean, this isn't BIG time, but it sure ain't SMALL time.

Newsflash-it's still smalltime once all the schools move it's just not as smalltime.
Old foes, e.g. Houston, SMU, Memphis, East Carolina, Central Florida, maybe Louisville and Cincinnati, just under a different grouping. There's been all this hoopla and for sure the "other C-USA" would have meant a definite demise of the program but does anyone really see this line-up for football as more of a turn-on than it was before when TU was playing these teams regularly in conference play?
So if we end up in the SEC, would you just say... "wow, big deal guyzzz, this is the same conference we were in 50 years ago. Move along."

I mean, the relevant comparison here is with the conference that USM is going to be in come 2014.
JDTulane
Riptide

GOD FRED CANNOT BE HAPPY
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
winwave wrote:

No, but that's not the point. I have no idea why you just tried to pluck out the negatives of this situation.

Facts:
1) CUSA is awful, BE is an upgrade
2) We were screwed in the new CUSA
3) There is NO CHANCE that we were moving to the B12 or ACC anytime soon, those chances were even less if we stayed in CUSA.

With the new investments in athletics, the quality of the Bball teams, the OCS etc., this move could help to propel TU but only if the admin stays committed to growth. We are back n the discussion, geez.
AugWave
Swell

Not even gonna go back and forth with the fools.

I was thinking.. what if we took out the wall in Devlin so that the basketball arena could be joined with the LBC? I know that would cost some moolah, but don't you think it's worth it now that we're going to a better conference? Especially a conference with good basketball teams.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Highwave
Low Tide

Show Me wrote:Terrific News!
I'm going to be giving to TAF once again.
Thanks,
for Showing Me!
This is the main reason I am excited about this announcement - it will change the perception of athletics at Tulane. If I am Rick Dickson, I seize the momentum and immediately announce a national athletics fundraising campaign, and hit the road hard for donations. Yulman Stadium needs to be a $100M facility by 2014.
GreenGears
Low Tide

This move to the Big East is like waking up from a 10 year coma while those around you are debating pulling you off life support. Now we just need to rehab for a year or two and start winning again.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

AugWave wrote:Not even gonna go back and forth with the fools.

I was thinking.. what if we took out the wall in Devlin so that the basketball arena could be joined with the LBC? I know that would cost some moolah, but don't you think it's worth it now that we're going to a better conference? Especially a conference with good basketball teams.

There is space to increase the size, knocking down walls on a early 1900's building is no easy task. There are major structural obstacles and yes it would be massively expensive. If things go well, I can see a bball arena in the parking lot along Claiborne in 5-6 years. Like many other schools, Devlin will be used by WBball/Volleyball or converted to an new academic building. Again, I cannot understand the decision on the recent renovations. They look great but it was misguided. SO pumped about this move, we HAVE A CHANCE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote: So if we end up in the SEC, would you just say... "wow, big deal guyzzz, this is the same conference we were in 50 years ago. Move along."

I mean, the relevant comparison here is with the conference that USM is going to be in come 2014.
Your point is negated by the thinnest of straw man arguments I've ever seen.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

OUG wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
winwave wrote:

So if we end up in the SEC, would you just say... "wow, big deal guyzzz, this is the same conference we were in 50 years ago. Move along."

Let's hope that USM can be part of the mix, too. They deserve to be and if they can get to be, then that would help TU's cause for sure.

And, yes, TU has been playing pretty much all of these same teams all these years and the basic fact of the matter is that with this switch of conferences what they're getting out of the deal on the football side (do people think that Syracuse, Pitt, West Virgina, Miami, etc. are going to be on the schedule now?) is that they can get to keep on having pretty much the same regular lineup and not have to be going against the C-USA lineup to come of UT-San Antonio, North Texas, Old Dominion, etc. and regardless of the hoopla that's about what it is (the bball side another story of course). So are people going to be more turned on about seeing TU football play Houston, SMU, Memphis, etc. than they have been all these years?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenGears wrote:This move to the Big East is like waking up from a 10 year coma while those around you are debating pulling you off life support. Now we just need to rehab for a year or two and start winning again.
I've been getting text messages from all kinds of Tulane and non-Tulane people this morning.

The first step towards relevance.