Just to clarify things about me . . .

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

I just do not want to come on here and run everyone in the TU Athletic Dept. down. There are some good people who are there, I realize that. But, the lack of leadership that Tr!cky D!ckson has shown during his time here is the main downfall. His hirings have just not come through. Cowen is just in retirement mode at this stage of his life, so there will be no trend-changing decisions from him as he slowly fades into the sunset of his career.

Why does the TU Board of Regents continue to hire these Ivy League profile types? Why can't they search for other Tulanians to fill positions like this in the future? This university must have enough alumni out there somewhere who will do the type of real job with the athletic dept that we all want to see in the future.

I am like many of you who just see Cowen allowing athletics to wither away on the vine. He just doesn't care one way or the other. His keeping Dickson around as long as he has is proof enough for me.

Am I wrong here? Someone tell me who knows much more than I do, please. . . . . .

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

No, you are right. Stop beating yourself up over this nonsense. Dickson and Cowen have sent all a clear message. They could care less about Tulane football. Its
all been said over and over. They could care less about the fans!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The main problem with our athletic program is that our administration has never been pro-active (except for the review :oops: )
They wait until the program is on life support, then try to play catch-up to the middle of the pack in a bad CUSA league. I really believe RD is just following orders from above.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

IM42lane wrote:I just do not want to come on here and run everyone in the TU Athletic Dept. down. There are some good people who are there, I realize that. But, the lack of leadership that Tr!cky D!ckson has shown during his time here is the main downfall. His hirings have just not come through. Cowen is just in retirement mode at this stage of his life, so there will be no trend-changing decisions from him as he slowly fades into the sunset of his career.

Why does the TU Board of Regents continue to hire these Ivy League profile types? Why can't they search for other Tulanians to fill positions like this in the future? This university must have enough alumni out there somewhere who will do the type of real job with the athletic dept that we all want to see in the future.

I am like many of you who just see Cowen allowing athletics to wither away on the vine. He just doesn't care one way or the other. His keeping Dickson around as long as he has is proof enough for me.

Am I wrong here? Someone tell me who knows much more than I do, please. . . . . .
Do you think allowing athletics to wither away on the vine is good for Tulane? I think the obvious answer is "no", but if we don't speak up it will continue to happen. We know from 2003 what Cowen thinks about athletics and his actions since have indicated no change.

The madness of all of this, is that the status quo is the one option that ISN'T viable. You either need to try to win or not be a part of D1A.

If you want to see Division 1-A athletics reamin at Tulane, speak up. It takes 5-10 years to really build an athletic program and the rest of the Universities in the country have been investing in their programs for 10+ years already. Tulane cannot wait for Cowen to leave, that may be too late.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:The main problem with our athletic program is that our administration has never been pro-active (except for the review :oops: )
They wait until the program is on life support, then try to play catch-up to the middle of the pack in a bad CUSA league. I really believe RD is just following orders from above.
Right, and you are summing up horrible leadership. RD is just following orders, but he seems to be happy to take a paycheck and ride out the losing. What athletic director doesn't want to win?

Cowen needs to feel the heat.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:The main problem with our athletic program is that our administration has never been pro-active (except for the review :oops: )
Right, and you are summing up horrible leadership. RD is just following orders, but he seems to be happy to take a paycheck and ride out the losing. What athletic director doesn't want to win?

I know RD wanted Jim Harbaugh as his first choice but Harbaugh had Tulane as his second choice behind Stanford. We settled for CBT because of lack of decent candidates. The word out on the street is that "You can't win at Tulane", "It's a coach killer's job" etc.......... Until the admin does all it can do to change this, we'll continue to get bottom feeder type coaches or unproven assistants (Chris Scelfo, Finney, Dickerson etc) and have the same poor results.
I'm hoping Conroy is a diamond in the rough as he was not even in the Top 2 that Tulane really wanted.
Last edited by tpstulane on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I know RD wanted Jim Harbaugh as his first choice but Harbaugh had Tulane as his second choice behind Stanford. We settled for CBT because of lack of decent candidates. The word out on the street is that "You can't win at Tulane", "It's a coach killer's job" etc.......... Until the admin does all it can do to change this, we'll continue to get bottom feeder type coaches or unproven assistants (Chris Selfo, Finney, Dickerson etc) and have the same poor results.
I'm hoping Conroy is a diamond in the rough as he was not even in the Top 2 that Tulane really wanted.
Right. And the fact that good coaches don't want to come to Tulane will surely prevent Tulane from ever truly succeeding. We can't pin our hopes for success on continually finding diamonds in the rough. If Conroy is that diamond in the rough, what are the chances that he isn't going to jump at the first opportunity?

The status quo is not acceptable. Change is needed and it needs to come at the Cowen/Dickson level. The fact is, they have no intention of changing, so we either speak up or don't expect anything to change, unless you count a bankrupt program.
Bigschtick
Riptide

The same talk over and over ad nauseum about what we need, in effect, a commitment from the admin. It ain't coming! Should it not be clear to all that Dickson is just a yes man and Cowen wants an end to football? There will be no success or improvement until Cowen is gone and by that time, football will no longer be Division one. Did not the retaining of Toledo make it clear as to the admin's intentions?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:The same talk over and over ad nauseum about what we need, in effect, a commitment from the admin. It ain't coming! Should it not be clear to all that Dickson is just a yes man and Cowen wants an end to football? There will be no success or improvement until Cowen is gone and by that time, football will no longer be Division one. Did not the retaining of Toledo make it clear as to the admin's intentions?
Of course. So either do something about it or let's just fold up shop.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I say fold up shop. Like I said to you elsewhere. That said and if you think you can make a difference, I am behind you 100%.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:I say fold up shop. Like I said to you elsewhere. That said and if you think you can make a difference, I am behind you 100%.
I think I can make a difference if I get enough support from fed-up folks like you.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I am with JJ.