Toledo's negativity

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

About the secondary:“We need find four starters because right now we don’t feel like any of them deserve to be starters at this point,” Toledo said.

About the offensive line:“I’d say our quality depth at offensive line isn’t as good as we need it to be, so that’s a concern,” Toledo said. “We have some good players there, we have four or five who have played quite a bit. But we just don’t have a lot of depth. If we get some injuries there, that could be a problem.”

About the QB position:“We need to find some backup depth for Ryan,” Toledo said. “If Ryan goes down, we have some problems."

About the receivers: " (lack of numbers) it will inhibit the work we can do in the spring because we can’t run as many what we call speed groups, so the spread part of the offense, we’ll have to dilute it a little this spring.”

To be fair he did say we have more experience overall, but it's young experience. Do these sound like the assessments of a coach who thinks he will be successful?

I just don't get the feeling that this guy thinks this can be a winning program. Like a lot of prior coaches, after a few years he realizes the challenges and subconsiously buys into the "can't win at Tulane argument." We then see the negative statements creep into their public jargon.

Why not phrase the "problems" as "issues" with a positive spin like "We have made improvement in all areas of the team as far as overall talent and athletic ability. Now it's time for us to develop the inexperienced players in order to develop the quality of depth we need to win should starters go down." There's a reason he doesn't say it like that. He doesn't believe it.

Now before I get jumped on, I'll admit i don't think we can win under our present administration and their Tulane model, but I'm not the coach who has to motivate the players. Once the coach buys into this he must be replaced. This is why he should have been let go.

TURVS71
Swell

I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as it relates to the team and its potential. This benefit, however, is not indefinite. I expect a quick start out of the gate this fall. If not, I will be one of the first to call for his resignation.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bigschtick
Riptide

In my opinion, he has been given too many "benefits of doubt". He is a lousy coach, cannot get the best of what he does have and is always the first to throw his players under the bus. I think he is just preparing all of us for another crappy season although I am sure that few were overly excited about our prospects for next season anyway. I am with Jaxwave. This guy depresses me!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
IM42lane
Swell

Toledo is averaging 3 wins per season as he stumbles into his FIFTH season. How many coaches all over the country would have been given their walking papers if they had posted the same record that Toledo has compiled over these four seasons? A big number of them would have been released long before this year.

Of course, tomorrow the "Playbook for Tulane Football Success" (or whatever they are calling it) gets revealed. I doubt that it amounts to be no more than another BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, since it will have no more impact than that "smoke and mirrors" flim-flam game had on the sports program.

I just wish that we had the clout to tell them, "If Tulane has another losing football record, then ALL THREE of you are outta here, period". Now, that would be a really BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Bigschtick wrote:In my opinion, he has been given too many "benefits of doubt". He is a lousy coach, cannot get the best of what he does have and is always the first to throw his players under the bus. I think he is just preparing all of us for another crappy season although I am sure that few were overly excited about our prospects for next season anyway. I am with Jaxwave. This guy depresses me!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere