Devlin Fieldhouse Photos

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

Here are some photos so far. My only complaint is the walkways are a bit hard to see when stepping down. I saw one woman fall already. Let it be known that Tulane scored the first points ever in the new Arena name :] 3-0. GG vs. Tech, a nailbiter for a bit. Lots of travel calls. Refs were OKAY. Bad calls towards both sides. LaTech never gave up.

JDTulane
Riptide

Sorry can't figure out how to make them bigger.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89893474@N ... 8171031787
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks JD, but photo's just don't do it justice, people need to come out and see it in person, I was extremely impressed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

Looks good. Thanks for posting them JD
JDTulane
Riptide

Big +1 TPS. It really is a transformation. I know we all dogged the renov. because we want something bigger but for its size this is quite impressive in comparison. The high school feel is gone. Now it's just too small. But fill it and it will ROCK.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:Big +1 TPS. It really is a transformation. I know we all dogged the renov. because we want something bigger but for its size this is quite impressive in comparison. The high school feel is gone. Now it's just too small. But fill it and it will ROCK.
+1
I was worried about the size as well, but let's win and pack the place first then we can want more seats. This Devlin Field House and the Hertz facility will actually help us get better kids. I talked to some former men and women players that were there tonight and they were all very impressed. It looks like a modern facility but with "old-time charm" with the exposed redwood ceiling and natural brick. I have zero complaints, in fact its the best thing this admin has done for us fans.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Did they put down a new floor?
JDTulane
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Did they put down a new floor?

Not yet but that IS a part of the plan and has already been budgeted for (I'm told)
JDTulane
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Big +1 TPS. It really is a transformation. I know we all dogged the renov. because we want something bigger but for its size this is quite impressive in comparison. The high school feel is gone. Now it's just too small. But fill it and it will ROCK.
+1
I was worried about the size as well, but let's win and pack the place first then we can want more seats. This Devlin Field House and the Hertz facility will actually help us get better kids. I talked to some former men and women players that were there tonight and they were all very impressed. It looks like a modern facility but with "old-time charm" with the exposed redwood ceiling and natural brick. I have zero complaints, in fact its the best thing this admin has done for us fans.
I can't wait to see it when it's all said and done. I walked in and immediately said "wow, they didn't fuc k it up"
JerseyWave
Riptide

Thanks for posting the pictures. I would like to see the lobby area. Are there HDTVs in the building?

It remains to be seen if the new facilities will pay dividends in recruiting.
JDTulane
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Thanks for posting the pictures. I would like to see the lobby area. Are there HDTVs in the building?

It remains to be seen if the new facilities will pay dividends in recruiting.

Not yet. They JUST finished painting. I also didn't go to the bathroom to see updates yet. I should've taken pics but didn't think to. I'll get some next game. There was a good student turn out, filled lower level. Great turnout for WBB. They sat 90% of the game though. booo.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Thanks for posting the pictures. I would like to see the lobby area. Are there HDTVs in the building?

No. But with all the glass doors you can pretty much see into the arena from the lobby. I believe the "coaches corner" may have an HDTV in there. They are still scheduled to do a few more things to the place.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
+1
Problem is there is no room for expansion. RD didn't even mention expansion in the chat. SAD.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
+1
Problem is there is no room for expansion. RD didn't even mention expansion in the chat. SAD.
Actually what we were told is that in the future if need be, Tulane would change the layout of the court. Currently it runs from East to West, they would shift it to run from North to South and they could add many more seats with that layout.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That wasn't said at all. He talked phase 2 and said what would be done and expansion was not listed. Keep it small we stay small.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JDTulane
Riptide

Phase 2 begins as soon as the season is over. I would imagine that drastic change would be a phase 3. But why would they spend this much money cementing seats down if they plan to rotate the court? I'm not holding my breath for any major renov. but I do think its possible. Either way, night and day before and after currently.

If you are still bitching about this arena, go to a game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No mention of a phase 3 b/c there isn't one. I'll be going but it won't change anything as it is still a HS gym that is way too small to attract good coaches and players.
AugWave
Swell

... I was in the house last night. I was impressed.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:No mention of a phase 3 b/c there isn't one. I'll be going but it won't change anything as it is still a HS gym that is way too small to attract good coaches and players.
We play football in the Dome probably ranks in the top 3 in the world, we can't attract coaches either. Devlin is not going to be a problem. The AD has to do a better job of selling coaches. The facilities are no longer going to hold us back. Tulane has finally begun to "Show Me" and I'm impressed. If Conroy doesn't get us to post season this year he needs to be fired. Plain and simple.
JDTulane
Riptide

winwave wrote:No mention of a phase 3 b/c there isn't one. I'll be going but it won't change anything as it is still a HS gym that is way too small to attract good coaches and players.

Or because we're in the middle of phase 1 with a following phase 2.

Do you want phase 45 mapped as well ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
We play football in the Dome probably ranks in the top 3 in the world, we can't attract coaches either. Devlin is not going to be a problem. The AD has to do a better job of selling coaches. The facilities are no longer going to hold us back. Tulane has finally begun to "Show Me" and I'm impressed. If Conroy doesn't get us to post season this year he needs to be fired. Plain and simple.
The Tulane Model is responsible for football and basketballs demise. A new AD and president who were truly committed to D-1 athletics can use the Dome to attract a good coach. But a new AD and president won't make a difference if you are trying to sell a 21,500 seat stadium and a 3,200 basketball facility. I agree EC needs to get it done this year but firing him after 3 will only compound the problem we have w/attracting coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:

Expansion is the key issue and Tulane knows it is. If there was a phase 3 that was all about expansion RD would have emphasized it. Get over it it's still a shoe box that won't attract coaches or players worth having.
JDTulane
Riptide

winwave wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

Expansion is the key issue and Tulane knows it is. If there was a phase 3 that was all about expansion RD would have emphasized it. Get over it it's still a shoe box that won't attract coaches or players worth having.

Hey guys, we have a d1 coach expert ova here. He knows what coaches want! How much did they offer you for Conroy's job? You clearly an expert.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

Hey guys, we have a d1 coach expert ova here. He knows what coaches want! How much did they offer you for Conroy's job? You clearly an expert.
Hey guys we have another Tulanian who loves to ignore the obvious. We got at best our 5th choice and you think the facility doesn't play a role. :lol: :lol: :lol:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: The Tulane Model is responsible for football and basketball's demise. A new AD and president who were truly committed to D-1 athletics can use the Dome to attract a good coach. But a new AD and president won't make a difference if you are trying to sell a 21,500 seat stadium and a 3,200 basketball facility. I agree EC needs to get it done this year but firing him after 3 will only compound the problem we have w/attracting coaches.
No doubt the "Model" has been a failure, but if I'm a top tier coach and I come to visit Tulane in New Orleans and I walk into the Hertz Canter where I'm going to spend 99% of my time and then I walk into a packed Devlin FH and watch a game with that noise, and the salary is what top 40 schools are paying I'm going to take the job. At one time, the "Tulane" coaching job in every sport was considered to be a great "stepping stone" in the coaching community. Now it's considered a "graveyard job". That's the current preception among the coaching community, why because coaches here haven't been given the tools to win, our coaches in the past have been lied to about "so-called" changes. I believe with the commitment we are finally seeing with facilities that preception can finally change. Next we need to find academic majors that will also allow for better athletes to attend.
Tulane Class of 1981