G.T. Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
baldboy
Low Tide

O and bad schedule don't go well either.

tnelly15
Riptide

From the little bit I saw Bruha was really bad as well, so I'm not sure it would have mattered.
Would have liked to seen some more minutes from Dabney or Mack, I would hope they are more worthy of minutes than Cherry.
tnelly15
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote:We need work. We had it handed to us tonight. We'll get better. Looking forward to Tuesday night!
Cant get much worse than we were tonight. I was kind of excited about the season, but we play like 3 respsectable opponents before January and we just got blownout by the 1st one.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

Just got back from game. Tulane looked pretty bad. Rebounding was atrocious. Tech usually got 2 or 3 rebounds per trip down it seemed like. Their bigs dominated our bigs. Davis was an absolute beast for us though. He scored at will. Hopefully, it's just first game rust and well get it together soon. Dabney hardly played. I know he's a true freshman but was hoping he would have an immediate impact.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wow, disappointing to say the least.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

We were bad in all aspects, my confidence in Conroy is dwindling.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I said it last season and I'll say it again Callahan should be the PG and Tarrant the SG. Tarrant played 38 minutes w/ zero assist.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tnelly15
Riptide

I'm not really sure that would fix anything, it definitely wouldnt have changed tonights outcome. As a pg Callahan gets more assists than Tarrant, but he also turns it over more.
JerseyWave
Riptide

tnelly15 wrote:We were bad in all aspects, my confidence in Conroy is dwindling.
I never developed any confidence in Conroy. The guy is a terrible recruiter and the non conference schedules have been embarrassing. Imagine what Perry Clark could have done if he had The Hertz Center and Devlin Fieldhouse to offer recruits.
tnelly15
Riptide

I never had a whole lot of confidence in him either, but he hasnt been a bad x's and o's coach in his time here. This is the most talented team he's had here and most of these guys are pretty experienced so I figured maybe we could put together a decent season(maybe a CIT,CBI). I guess there's still a chance for that, but I'm very discouraged by what I saw tonight. Totally agree on the recruiting and schedule comments though. He got Tarrant who has been better than anyone thought he would be and Josh Davis who looks to be a nice player. Aside from those guys his recruits have been really bad. Obviously too early to tell about the new guys Dabney,Mack Noriela and Sanders. I'm not as high on Dabney as everyone else seems to be though.
This years home schedule is just embarassing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:I'm not really sure that would fix anything, it definitely wouldnt have changed tonights outcome. As a pg Callahan gets more assists than Tarrant, but he also turns it over more.
It would change a lot. Thomas came on at the end of his freshman year w/ Callahan feeding him. Callahan is a point guard. Tarrant is the better shooter and would benefit from Callahan's skills at the point. The PG is the QB in basketball. But let's just stick w/the same old same old. Always works for tulame.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tnelly15
Riptide

I assume you mean Timmons came on at the end of his Freshman year and I'd say it was more Kevin Sims getting the ball to him and it's not like Timmons cant create his own shot. Callahan's skills at pg really arent much better than Tarrant's, if at all. He may get more assists, but as I said he turns it over more as well.
sader24
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:We were bad in all aspects, my confidence in Conroy is dwindling.
I never developed any confidence in Conroy. The guy is a terrible recruiter and the non conference schedules have been embarrassing. Imagine what Perry Clark could have done if he had The Hertz Center and Devlin Fieldhouse to offer recruits.

Not much considering everyone else's facilities are better 15 years later and considering he couldn't get many of the players he got in under Cowen and Dickson. As has been stated on this board before Clark reported directly to Eamon Kelly.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:I assume you mean Timmons came on at the end of his Freshman year and I'd say it was more Kevin Sims getting the ball to him and it's not like Timmons cant create his own shot. Callahan's skills at pg really arent much better than Tarrant's, if at all. He may get more assists, but as I said he turns it over more as well.
No I was talking about Kevin Thomas. The latter part of his freshman year he was showing flashes and he was getting dunks off passes from Callahan. People were very anxious to see his development last year and he regressed instead. As for Timmons he gets most of his points on drives he's not much of a shooter. Tarrant said before the game he would now be a distributor rather than a scorer. That's crazy. This team desperately needs offense and he can provide it and he can do much more of that as the shooting guard. But hey let's just stick w/the status quo and have another long boring and meaningless season of basketball.
OGSB
Swell

I only checked in on the game. We were consistently 10 points behind then it jumped to 20 and I knew that for this game at least, we weren't the team we expected. Anyone hear what Conroy had to say after the game?
Livin' rent free
swampnik
Surge

BAD: Bad shooting all around and FT black plague again.
Terrible rebounding.
Saunders not playing.
Feeling like same old, same old attitude might start to see fruition.

GOOD: Josh Davis!
Turnover ratio.
Lady Wave over Tech!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
TU23
High Tide

We werent ready to play tonight. We have a veteran team who had no clue how to create offensive chances and that is a big coaching problem. We threw up several deep 3s (beyone nba territory) early in the shot clock and we got no dribble penetration from our guards. We also didnt make many defensive adjustments. Bruha and Birchfield are stiffs. They are terribly unathletic and get out rebounded by smaller players. Ben Cherry isn't a guy who you want to see on the court much either yet he played a lot. Timmons is a shell of his former self after the injury. His whole game was built on athletic ability. All of the younger players who Conroy had been touting didn't get off the bench until the game was over. GA Tech will finish near the bottom of the ACC and they dominated us in every facet of the game despite the fact that they were playing several young players. I had heard we lost to Ole Miss in a scrimmage a couple of weeks ago by 41 and I tought it was b.s. Now I'm not so sure.

I like Ed Conroy the person but the coach and recruiter has been a disappointment. It's obviously early but the same problems seem to surface every year. We get out rebounded and have trouble creating off the dribble.
tnelly15
Riptide

No I was talking about Kevin Thomas. The latter part of his freshman year he was showing flashes and he was getting dunks off passes from Callahan
Oh, Kevin Thomas almost forgot he existed. I dont recall too many flashes, but I'll take your word for it.
Bruha and Birchfield are stiffs. They are terribly unathletic and get out rebounded by smaller players. Ben Cherry isn't a guy who you want to see on the court much either yet he played a lot.
Obviously we already knew about Bruha's athletic ability, but last night it looked worse than I expected. We dont even need him to score just rebound and play decent defense down low, but it doesnt seem like he'll be abled to do that. Kevin Thomas must be really, really bad if he cant get any minutes over the current group of big men. I didnt have to see Birchfield play to know he was going to be bad, 10 pts and 5 rebounds a game in High School tells me all I need to know about him. 6'8 and you only got 5 rebounds a game in HS? That's pathetic. Totally agree on Cherry he's slow and really not a good shooter. If Dabney or our other guards cant play over him that is upsetting.
I had heard we lost to Ole Miss in a scrimmage a couple of weeks ago by 41 and I tought it was b.s. Now I'm not so sure.
Doesnt sound too far fetched after last night.
I like Ed Conroy the person but the coach and recruiter has been a disappointment. It's obviously early but the same problems seem to surface every year. We get out rebounded and have trouble creating off the dribble.
Agree he's got to turn it around this year.
AugWave
Swell

Hell, I'll tell you what the problem is. We have no mean guys on the floor. No attitude. Whenever you get abused like that in the post, you KNOW the other team isn't scared of you. Conroy is a good person, but I think he's too nice. Remember when Kendall Timmons said that Conroy's approach was refreshing because he doesn't yell at them? :?

I've never had a coach that didn't yell. I never played on a losing team either. Football, basketball or baseball.

8-)
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:
No I was talking about Kevin Thomas. The latter part of his freshman year he was showing flashes and he was getting dunks off passes from Callahan
Oh, Kevin Thomas almost forgot he existed. I dont recall too many flashes, but I'll take your word for it.
Bruha and Birchfield are stiffs. They are terribly unathletic and get out rebounded by smaller players. Ben Cherry isn't a guy who you want to see on the court much either yet he played a lot.
Obviously we already knew about Bruha's athletic ability, but last night it looked worse than I expected. We dont even need him to score just rebound and play decent defense down low, but it doesnt seem like he'll be abled to do that. Kevin Thomas must be really, really bad if he cant get any minutes over the current group of big men. I didnt have to see Birchfield play to know he was going to be bad, 10 pts and 5 rebounds a game in High School tells me all I need to know about him. 6'8 and you only got 5 rebounds a game in HS? That's pathetic. Totally agree on Cherry he's slow and really not a good shooter. If Dabney or our other guards cant play over him that is upsetting.
I had heard we lost to Ole Miss in a scrimmage a couple of weeks ago by 41 and I tought it was b.s. Now I'm not so sure.
Doesnt sound too far fetched after last night.
Agree he's got to turn it around this year.
You're one of the few that didn't get excited about him late in his freshman season. Not being able to see his athleticism tells all I need to know about you. He has ability the question is clearly his desire.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AugWave wrote:Hell, I'll tell you what the problem is. We have no mean guys on the floor. No attitude. Whenever you get abused like that in the post, you KNOW the other team isn't scared of you. Conroy is a good person, but I think he's too nice. Remember when Kendall Timmons said that Conroy's approach was refreshing because he doesn't yell at them? :?

I've never had a coach that didn't yell. I never played on a losing team either. Football, basketball or baseball.

8-)
Don't recall that quote but I've been at practice and he yells. A lot.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I watched the entire game and have a different POV then most on this thread. I am not going to say we should be proud of the game but the GT team is much better then last year and were opening a new venue. Their Frosh were big time difference makers. In the end we got out rebounded 47 to 23 including a horrific 16 to 7 on the offensive boards. Bigs in Bball are like linemen in football, when we play schools from better conferences we get destroyed. As I said weeks ago, this team will live and die based on interior D and rebounding. This game was lost on the boards and apparantly the players/coaches did nothing to change what was an obvious problem at half time. We did have limited TOs but I did not feel much urgency but it was the first game on the road so I think there must be some patience.

Bruha is no athlete but he is big and would be fine if he could play 30 minutes. His job is to clog the middle and hit the boards, I don't know what people expect from him. The kid needs to be healthy for this team to go anywhere. We just have no interior size, of course neither do most in CUSA. He also needs to understand his role.

Athletically, I was very pleased. We did not look out of place, we just do not have the size of an ACC school and apparently Conroy et all do not have the guts to ferociously hit the boards. I am a big believer that rebounding is as much about positioning and desire. If you cannot compete in the size department then you have to outsmart and outwork your opponent to compete on the boards, we did not do this in ATL.

I still believe this team will compete in the top half of CUSA, athletically it is the best team I have seen since Conroy arrived. In many ways it comes down to expectations, which I have very little at this point for all TU sports (very sad indeed). One thing is for sure, Conroy must be held accountable if this turns into a below .500 campaign in league, again sadly I do not trust that the admin will do their job. I also believe we need to go through many more games before concluding anything and will also go on record that this team will surprise some people.