No Remaining Doubt That OCS A Disaster

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ExileWave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:It's the New Orleans Bowl, not the Uptown University Area Bowl. It's not moving from The Dome. This scenario is moot.
All part of Benson's plan to help get us out of the Dome and into POSS. More big regular season games to come. $5 million will turn to $100's of millions for Benson in the coming years.
Benson is a tenant, how are you so sure that he collects the majority of the revenue for non-Saints events? You will see one of those opening night Pre-Season Sugar Bowl games and that's it. The big time schools want the home field advantage, gate, parking, fan access etc. Jerry would love to play a college football game every weekend that the Cowboys are off, he just can't justify the cost to bring the teams in.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:SEC and Big 12 announce a "Champions Bowl" to be held at Superdome.
"New Orleans and the Sugar Bowl are synonymous with postseason college football. For many years, fans have enjoyed the color and pageantry that New Orleans offers," Slive said. "The Mercedes-Benz Superdome has hosted many Super Bowls, Sugar Bowls and National Championship Games and having teams from the Big 12 and the SEC in a post-season college football game together only adds to this list. We look forward to competing against the Big 12 as a new championship tradition begins on New Year's Day."
Everyone else wants to play at the Superdome except for Cowen/Dickson who think it's the problem. Cowen/Dickson have been the lone dissenters on everything for 14 years and have been wrong 100% of the time.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... 2-sec-game
Big time football loves the dome, I am not sure why we needed this article to prove that fact. I am also not sure how you can make any correlation between big time football and the current state of TU. However, this idea that the OCS will no doubt be a "disaster" is just so over the top. Would I prefer to see 45k-50k, parking, high end everything.....sure but that is not happening and frankly I can see why (lack of $ support, lack of a fanbase, questions about the future etc.) I respect your passion I just think you get a way too dramatic. Maybe things go great, maybe they don;t...we shall see but I do not believe the outcome is set in stone and look forward to watching it play out.
Because there is only one version of successful D1A college football and that is "big time". There is the biggest time (Alabama/Michigan/Texas) and then there is less big time (Ga Tech/Vanderbilt/SMU) but the "current state of TU" is a non-starter and building a stadium that fits the current spec is nothing short of idiotic.

Should we leave the Dome to play Old Dominion on campus, it's clear as day that "big time football" will be eager to play there and then Tulane will be the second choice for a college football game to attend in its own city. People in New Orleans have made it clear for 30 years, whether Tulane or the "Aints", they will support winning football and make losing football the butt of jokes.

That outcome is, for sure, set in stone.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
ExileWave wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:It's the New Orleans Bowl, not the Uptown University Area Bowl. It's not moving from The Dome. This scenario is moot.
All part of Benson's plan to help get us out of the Dome and into POSS. More big regular season games to come. $5 million will turn to $100's of millions for Benson in the coming years.
Benson is a tenant, how are you so sure that he collects the majority of the revenue for non-Saints events? You will see one of those opening night Pre-Season Sugar Bowl games and that's it. The big time schools want the home field advantage, gate, parking, fan access etc. Jerry would love to play a college football game every weekend that the Cowboys are off, he just can't justify the cost to bring the teams in.
It isn't Jerry or Tom Benson that pays, it's ESPN or whatever network is going to get a ratings bonanza. There will always be a hungry program, like Boise, that will give up a home game for the opportunity to play a big name, out-of-conference matchup that will attract large national ratings.

Tom Benson and the city of New Orleans would be smartest if they literally subsidized Tulane football to make sure that Tulane brought 20K-30K fans to town 6 weekends per year. That would be worth at least $100M to the city of NOLA. Instead, Benson will literally "donate" $5M to Tulane which will weaken the Tulane program for a net gain of $30M for the city for a one-time big game. Even scheduling 3 of them per year wouldn't be as lucrative to NOLA as Tulane being in the Big 12/ACC.

Lose/lose all the way around and perfect example of why NOLA is in trouble.
msdos
Swell

Small time football is ok when you're the only game in town (see ULM, Idaho, Utah State, etc.)

but when you compete with festivals, concerts, the saints, et. al., small time football is asking to be put out of business
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don't disagree with the fundamentals but the reality is the money is not there and the dedication from the admin is not there. To build this stadium the way it should would take another 3-5 years of fundraising. I am skeptical of the OCS but do believe the Dome is not conducive, but I have never been that impressed with the game day experience even on Sundays either. Maybe the better approach was to invest and grow in the Dome but the OCS will force them to invest in the on field product for fear of looking like idiots.

The admin is on record that it is expandable. We have multiple reports of more capital being spent on athletics and a coach that is showing signs of life along with kick ass recruiting skills. I am no way advocating that the OCS is going to solve all the problems, in fact I think it solves very few, but I would much rather be in OCS then the Dome. I understand that is not popular around these parts but I will say again that I do not believe the current iteration of the OCS will be the death of TU athletics or a guaranteed failure. I also do not think it guarantees us any success. Stadium is a small part of the current problems and will be a small part of the potential future success. I do think it will be a benefit to alumni relations and school pride. Cowen spends a whole lot of time talking about it and if I know his ego, he will make it a priority to see that the team is at least somewhat successful just so he can pat himself on his back fat (that was out of line I admit it).
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
ExileWave wrote:
It isn't Jerry or Tom Benson that pays, it's ESPN or whatever network is going to get a ratings bonanza. There will always be a hungry program, like Boise, that will give up a home game for the opportunity to play a big name, out-of-conference matchup that will attract large national ratings.

Tom Benson and the city of New Orleans would be smartest if they literally subsidized Tulane football to make sure that Tulane brought 20K-30K fans to town 6 weekends per year. That would be worth at least $100M to the city of NOLA. Instead, Benson will literally "donate" $5M to Tulane which will weaken the Tulane program for a net gain of $30M for the city for a one-time big game. Even scheduling 3 of them per year wouldn't be as lucrative to NOLA as Tulane being in the Big 12/ACC.

Lose/lose all the way around and perfect example of why NOLA is in trouble.
How would the ratings be that much better because it is being played on a neutral site, I'm confused why ESPN would be willing to spend anymore then usual and why that would go to the host not the schools. Those teams need to be compensated for losing the home gate or visitors fee. If it is so lucrtative why is it not taking place with more regularity?

Again, how can we be any weaker then the last five years. Hell the whole history is weak other then a few blips. It's just really too dramatic, IMO.

It would be a dumb move, Benson will not spend money to potentially hurt his own established Saints brand.

You disagree with the decision, but to paint this as an abject and absolute failure is going to far. Could it be, of course, but I for one am happier today then I was a year ago. I get it we should demand more and all, but we are certainly seeing improvement on all fronts. So much work is left but I feel better about the chances of success and me having pride in TU football in the future. It's a shame that we have an admin that does not belive in going all in for atheltics, but that is the reality and I am comforted that things might change in the future.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:I don't disagree with the fundamentals but the reality is the money is not there and the dedication from the admin is not there. To build this stadium the way it should would take another 3-5 years of fundraising. I am skeptical of the OCS but do believe the Dome is not conducive, but I have never been that impressed with the game day experience even on Sundays either. Maybe the better approach was to invest and grow in the Dome but the OCS will force them to invest in the on field product for fear of looking like idiots.

The admin is on record that it is expandable. We have multiple reports of more capital being spent on athletics and a coach that is showing signs of life along with kick ass recruiting skills. I am no way advocating that the OCS is going to solve all the problems, in fact I think it solves very few, but I would much rather be in OCS then the Dome. I understand that is not popular around these parts but I will say again that I do not believe the current iteration of the OCS will be the death of TU athletics or a guaranteed failure. I also do not think it guarantees us any success. Stadium is a small part of the current problems and will be a small part of the potential future success. I do think it will be a benefit to alumni relations and school pride. Cowen spends a whole lot of time talking about it and if I know his ego, he will make it a priority to see that the team is at least somewhat successful just so he can pat himself on his back fat (that was out of line I admit it).
It's pretty clear that the powers-who-are have very much made "You'll Love" Stadium the centerpiece of their vision of TU athletics.

It's also pretty clear why everyone has reason to be very skeptical about the powers-who-are seriously changing their mindset w/r/t the "product" and results on the field.

The key item within any set of necessary changes is admissions/academics. However, we have heard that there is apparently no big rush to do things in that area and that the powers-who-are also do not take the view that these changes are something that the coaches urgently need (do they even care what the coaches would like?).

Absolutely true that having the new stadium does not guarantee either improved results on the field or more people being interested in following TU sports, although there probably will be a novelty effect of the facility for a little while. The evidence of how things went when SMU opened their new stadium (and that's another private institution in a large city within the "heart of big-time football country" and in a state where the larger-than-life program at the state university dominates the scene and there is also the presence of the NFL) is something that everyone at TU should check out and I know that for a while after they opened it they were still not winning very much, if at all, up until they went out and spent a couple million to bring in the June Jones coaching regime and then also I understand is that they have still had a tough time drawing interest and regular attendance there except when they're playing, say, TCU.

It seems like what has mattered above all to these people has been the ability just to say no matter what that they've brought football back to campus, i.e. "packaging." They also want to have the smaller stadium as a means to pressure people into feeling "well I'd better buy tickets (at the higher price that TU will be charging now for the same product before they run out." Then, of course, the mind-set that genuinely loves big-time football is not what they are all about.

I admit that I find it all very slimy and essentially a tack of deceipt, deception and trickery that I cannot support. If it does eventually backfire I won't say that they haven't deserved to have that happen.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Just look what they are doing with Cow/Dick Fieldhouse. Super small time renovation making very difficult to schedule a quality opponent and move up to a high profile conference. The small size will hurt recruiting and make it difficult to grow the fan base if the team starts winning. Exactly the same for Cow/Dick Stadium.
JDTulane
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Just look what they are doing with Cow/Dick Fieldhouse. Super small time renovation making very difficult to schedule a quality opponent and move up to a high profile conference. The small size will hurt recruiting and make it difficult to grow the fan base if the team starts winning. Exactly the same for Cow/Dick Stadium.
$5 million is a small renovation? That sounds like a huge renovation.

That said if you're spending that much on a renovation why not just spend 5 times that on a new arena.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Small....I'm talking seating capacity.
sader24
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:I was under the impression we didn't make concession money anyway... so uhhh

I was talking strictly about why Bowl Games would favor the Superdome. Not saying it's a major reason, but it's a plus when you can assure that a big game will be played on a uniform surface with no threats from weather. I dont think anyone wants to see a National Championship or a Bowl Game decided in a torrential downpour on a destroyed field nor do I think visiting fans want to sit in the freezing cold or heavy rain on a trip to a Bowl Game. Personally, I dont mind sitting in the elements, I think it makes the atmosphere seem more real (except the heat).

Is this a joke? You act like Tulane is the first to have an outdoor stadium. Fans do it all the time. People go to the Idaho bowl bundled up and live.

R u joking? You dont know the difference between the Idaho and Sugar Bowl? Not sure what you are even trying to argue here. Your first comment was about concessions and Tulane, I havent referred to Tulane in this thread. If you were a 50 yr old fan would you rather watch your team play inside in 68 Degree AC or outside in 15 degree weather. If you were a TV Network and you just paid big money for a TV Bowl Contract for the National Championship or a Major Bowl game I'm assuming the fact that the game is played inside on a fast track which will ensure that weather can't make it an ugly game it's a plus. My comments in this thread have been strictly about Bowl Games and the Superdome, nothing here has had to do with Tulane in my posts.
sader24
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Just look what they are doing with Cow/Dick Fieldhouse. Super small time renovation making very difficult to schedule a quality opponent and move up to a high profile conference. The small size will hurt recruiting and make it difficult to grow the fan base if the team starts winning. Exactly the same for Cow/Dick Stadium.

That said if you're spending that much on a renovation why not just spend 5 times that on a new arena.

How much has this renovation increased seating capacity. The $ figure means nothing if the capacity is still below 5,000.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The seating capacity will now be around 3,200 .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:
How much has this renovation increased seating capacity. The $ figure means nothing if the capacity is still below 5,000.
Still at 3,600 per Tulane. The lost seating with chairbacks was made up with the end court beanch seating that will now go down to the floor. I'm going Friday night to see the women play La Tech to see first hand. I have a few extra free tickets if anyone needs some just PM me.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I went to the practice event like you and the question was asked and that was the answer. That's where I got the figure.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I went to the practice event like you and the question was asked and that was the answer. That's where I got the figure.
Well that's where I got my answer as well, so who knows?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm happy that the Sugar Bowl will keep it's top flight status but this development is not good for Tulane. The Big 12 now has their flag firmly planted here in NOLA so it takes that chip away from us. I know some are inclined to prefer the ACC for possible future conference alignment b/c of the perceived academic connection but the Big 12 is s a much better football conference and this is football country. Most of their schools would travel here w/a lot more fans than the ACC schools. Of course it doesn't matter as the OCS seals our fate as far as being a viable candidate for a real conference along w/the nonchalant attitude of our dynamic dumbos (we're not interested but we'll talk to anyone who wants to talk to us.)
JDTulane
Riptide

sader24 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:I was under the impression we didn't make concession money anyway... so uhhh

I was talking strictly about why Bowl Games would favor the Superdome. Not saying it's a major reason, but it's a plus when you can assure that a big game will be played on a uniform surface with no threats from weather. I dont think anyone wants to see a National Championship or a Bowl Game decided in a torrential downpour on a destroyed field nor do I think visiting fans want to sit in the freezing cold or heavy rain on a trip to a Bowl Game. Personally, I dont mind sitting in the elements, I think it makes the atmosphere seem more real (except the heat).

Is this a joke? You act like Tulane is the first to have an outdoor stadium. Fans do it all the time. People go to the Idaho bowl bundled up and live.

R u joking? You dont know the difference between the Idaho and Sugar Bowl? Not sure what you are even trying to argue here. Your first comment was about concessions and Tulane, I havent referred to Tulane in this thread. If you were a 50 yr old fan would you rather watch your team play inside in 68 Degree AC or outside in 15 degree weather. If you were a TV Network and you just paid big money for a TV Bowl Contract for the National Championship or a Major Bowl game I'm assuming the fact that the game is played inside on a fast track which will ensure that weather can't make it an ugly game it's a plus. My comments in this thread have been strictly about Bowl Games and the Superdome, nothing here has had to do with Tulane in my posts.
I was referencing smaller bowls, not a sugar bowl esque event.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:

That said if you're spending that much on a renovation why not just spend 5 times that on a new arena?
Amen.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

Another Amen.