Tulane Hullabaloo Turnstile Records Lawsuit & Article

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This Thursday the Ryan Jones article expected to hit the Hullabaloo...
Here's his Nov 1, article explaining his position
http://www.thehullabaloo.com/views/arti ... 0f31a.html

I believe the upcoming story containing the records will prove enlightening to you, the reader, and the staff deeply values your continued trust in The Hullabaloo as the eyes and ears of the Tulane community.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

Can we compare attendance of '97 and '98 and graph the results in pre and post cowdick's reign?
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote:Can we compare attendance of '97 and '98 and graph the results in pre and post cowdick's reign?
Below are the real numbers for 1998, just as the "Cowen nightmare" was beginning (Scott became president in July of 1998). Bowden/RR would have more than sold out a 25,000 seat stadium for 5 of 6 of our home games with only the exception of Navy, and if memory serves me correctly, a game for a weekend, September 26th, during which most of New Orleans had evacuated for Hurricane Georges.

1998 Home Opponent

Navy- 19,371

Southern Miss - 32,527

Louisville - 26,217

SW Louisiana- 25,177

Houston - 26,978

Louisiana Tech- 37,391
KsWave
Low Tide

And if Tulane shows it can post those numbers on a consistent basis, I'm sure there will be a push for expanding the OCS to accomodate. But really by pushing those numbers you're showing that even in Tulane's most successfull season ever there was never a need for a 70,000 seat stadium.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It gets down to a "supply/demand" scenario. Under the current admin Tulane has never had a ticket demand because of the lack of quality product. The Saint's and LSU have struggled in the past with bad product. We really don't even know what our full potential really is. I look back on the glory days in baseball and the Perry days in basketball, the demand for tickets were huge. We drew over 26K in the dome for a baseball game alone. When I was in school we drew 15K in the dome playing UNO in basketball. This admin has never put a quality product on the field or court to generate untapped demand. Instead they build a stadium and renovate an arena that is small to try to create artificial demand.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

KsWave wrote:And if Tulane shows it can post those numbers on a consistent basis, I'm sure there will be a push for expanding the OCS to accomodate. But really by pushing those numbers you're showing that even in Tulane's most successfull season ever there was never a need for a 70,000 seat stadium.
What I am really showing is that Bowden/RR "outgrew" Yulman stadium way back in 1998.
Wave755
Tsunami

Here is the long awaited Hullabaloo SMG turnstile count article:

http://www.thehullabaloo.com/news/artic ... f6878.html
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
KsWave
Low Tide

Wave755 wrote:
KsWave wrote:And if Tulane shows it can post those numbers on a consistent basis, I'm sure there will be a push for expanding the OCS to accomodate. But really by pushing those numbers you're showing that even in Tulane's most successfull season ever there was never a need for a 70,000 seat stadium.
What I am really showing is that Bowden/RR "outgrew" Yulman stadium way back in 1998.
Yes, for the best season in Tulane football's history, we would draw too many fans to fit in the proposed stadium. I think that will be a welcome problem when the time comes again.
KsWave
Low Tide

1) Bowden's 2 years were '97 and '98
2) A 500 tickets-sold drop for SMU is hardly a basis for saying they failed to boost attendance for the same reasons the Hull wanted to rely on Dome turnstile for this piece.
3) The NIMBY section of the story is the exact reason you don't write this story and publish the numbers...they want a reason to claim the stadium is too big and now they have it.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Very scattered. Not sure what I was expecting, but meh.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Tsunami

The numbers leaked to Ed Daniels and others were a bit off, but the true turnstile numbers are abysmal just the same. I will always believe, rather than the Superdome, our present plight is the result of poor leadership since 1998, i.e. – no to Rodriguez in 1998, 2003 “Review”, 7 years of Scelfo and 5 years of Toledo, including an “extension” after the disastrous 2010 season.
Wave755
Tsunami

KsWave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Yes, for the best season in Tulane football's history, we would draw too many fans to fit in the proposed stadium. I think that will be a welcome problem when the time comes again.
For the Ole Miss game in 1997 we had just under 37,000, and that season we went 7-4, I attended Teevens second to last last game in 1996, there could not have been 2,500 people in attendance. Overnight we recovered from 5 years of Teevens once Bowden/RR arrived.
KsWave
Low Tide

As I said, that will be a welcome problem when it happens. And I would think that if there are SEC/big-traveling opponent games, Tulane will look into using the Dome once per year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If Cowen was any kind of competitor he should take this quote personally and prove this women wrong.
“We don’t think under any circumstances that Tulane’s ever going to fill a 30,000 person stadium,” Booth said. “The Tulane football program is so weak and has been so weak. I don’t believe building a 30,000-person stadium repairs a broken football program. Until Tulane comes to the table with a reasonable proposal this is not only going to damage the neighborhood, but I don’t think it’s going to be good for university either.”
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I graduated in 1981, look at those numbers and look at who we played. The dropoff over time is more due to the horrible schedules and not so much losing. When you play attractive teams people will at least come out to see your opponent. We lose and play a terrible schedule nowdays.
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... f6.pdf.pdf
Tulane Class of 1981
KsWave
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:I graduated in 1981, look at those numbers and look at who we played. The dropoff over time is more due to the horrible schedules and not so much losing. When you play attractive teams people will at least come out to see your opponent. We lose and play a terrible schedule nowdays.
Quite true, but you can control your schedule a lot more when you're an independent. In the early 80s it looks like Tulane may as well have been in the SEC based on scheduling. Join a poor conference and you get poor opponents. Heck, most of original C-USA is in a better conference now. If changing conferences is like switching deck chairs on the Titanic, staying in C-USA is like jumping overboard before it even hit the iceberg!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

KsWave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I graduated in 1981, look at those numbers and look at who we played. The dropoff over time is more due to the horrible schedules and not so much losing. When you play attractive teams people will at least come out to see your opponent. We lose and play a terrible schedule nowdays.
Quite true, but you can control your schedule a lot more when you're an independent. In the early 80s it looks like Tulane may as well have been in the SEC based on scheduling. Join a poor conference and you get poor opponents. Heck, most of original C-USA is in a better conference now. If changing conferences is like switching deck chairs on the Titanic, staying in C-USA is like jumping overboard before it even hit the iceberg!
Yep, I think the conference schedule is only going to get worse, that makes OOC schedule that much more important to draw "football" fans. There are mistakes in that PDF file. There is no way in hell in 1994 we only had 16K for the LSU game.
Last edited by tpstulane on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
threeputt
High Tide

I'm changing my tune on this tiny stadium ... In the last 30 years we have had exactly TWO games with over 30k in attendance (sans LSU) vs USM in 1982 and Bama in 1992.

Shoot a 10k stadium should be more than enough as we have only played 5 games in front of more people in the last 10 years.

I know I know .. I am missing the big picture .. I get it :?
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:If Cowen was any kind of competitor he should take this quote personally and prove this women wrong.
“We don’t think under any circumstances that Tulane’s ever going to fill a 30,000 person stadium,” Booth said. “The Tulane football program is so weak and has been so weak. I don’t believe building a 30,000-person stadium repairs a broken football program. Until Tulane comes to the table with a reasonable proposal this is not only going to damage the neighborhood, but I don’t think it’s going to be good for university either.”
This is NOT to be taken as any endorsement of the concept of the "You'll Love" Stadium...but if Tulane is going to be almost playing almost entirely a line-up of C-USA games (of the newest rendition of C-USA) with a UL-Monroe or an SLU or McNeese or Army or Navy thrown in here and there at "You'll Love" Stadium and not having, say, consistent multiple 10-win seasons (with a 12-game schedule) then I'd say that that analysis of how attendance is going to be is probably about right.

The article in the Hullabaloo makes an excellent point about the experience at SMU. Having the new on-campus there that they opened in 2000 was not very much of a boost to their program.

The university leadership apparently thinks that just by having games in this facility they can make up for the team not being a consistent winner of a prgram and also not playing the most attractive schedule but they're mistaken and they should know better or else they're just a bunch of cheesy user-car salespeople here.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

threeputt wrote:I'm changing my tune on this tiny stadium ... In the last 30 years we have had exactly TWO games with over 30k in attendance (sans LSU) vs USM in 1982 and Bama in 1992.

Shoot a 10k stadium should be more than enough as we have only played 5 games in front of more people in the last 10 years.

I know I know .. I am missing the big picture .. I get it :?
You are correct, however...what I expect to happen is that initially there will be some kind of novelty effect and people will be anxious to see what's going on and there will be some good crowds...but over time that phenomenon is going to fade away...and then what kind of regular attendance there is will depend both on how much of a consistent winner the program is and what kind of opposition that they play against (and the weaker of a schedule that you play the stronger of a consistent winner you will have to be in order to hold anyone's respect). Eventually things are gonig to go back to being like how they are right now and when they do Tulane will be stuck with this white elephant of a project, i.e. the payoff will not be very strong.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

KsWave wrote:As I said, that will be a welcome problem when it happens. And I would think that if there are SEC/big-traveling opponent games, Tulane will look into using the Dome once per year.
The point is that it is incumbent on Tulane to make it happen. Pessimistic people like you don't think we have a large fan base out there. The fact is we do and as has been pointed out our attendance numbers can jump quickly. People making the argument you make about 97 and 98 always leave out very important factors. Those factors are Tulane had not had a winning season in 15 years before 97. The 30 years before those 15 weren't too good either. The actual attendance under Teevens had clearly sunk to the 5k level, In 97 we didn't beat anyone of significance. In 98 no one knew we would go undefeated. We didn't play any ranked team again. Yet as the season went on the numbers grew. Two games were affected by the storm in 98. There was literally an evacuation going on during the Navy game. The next game against USM was affected as MS. got hit hard by the hurricane and fans were busy w/clean up. The facts are our numbers can jump very quickly. It is stupid to build a tiny, cheap stadium now rather than waiting to see what we do under CJ and wait to see what happens w/conference realignment if he succeeds.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
KsWave
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
KsWave wrote:As I said, that will be a welcome problem when it happens. And I would think that if there are SEC/big-traveling opponent games, Tulane will look into using the Dome once per year.
The point is that it is incumbent on Tulane to make it happen. Pessimistic people like you don't think we have a large fan base out there. The fact is we do and as has been pointed out our attendance numbers can jump quickly. People making the argument you make about 97 and 98 always leave out very important factors. Those factors are Tulane had not had a winning season in 15 years before 97. The 30 years before those 15 weren't too good either. The actual attendance under Teevens had clearly sunk to the 5k level, In 97 we didn't beat anyone of significance. In 98 no one knew we would go undefeated. We didn't play any ranked team again. Yet as the season went on the numbers grew. Two games were affected by the storm in 98. There was literally an evacuation going on during the Navy game. The next game against USM was affected as MS. got hit hard by the hurricane and fans were busy w/clean up. The facts are our numbers can jump very quickly. It is stupid to build a tiny, cheap stadium now rather than waiting to see what we do under CJ and wait to see what happens w/conference realignment if he succeeds.
I actually wasn't trying to be pessimistic at all actually. I would have said "that will be a welcome problem if it ever happens" instead of how I did actually word it.

As a 7-year Tulane student I went through the phase of "the Dome is SOO far away" like many/most student do. If you're up til 2 or 3 in the morning the night before a game you don't want to have to catch a shuttle at 10 or 11 to make it to a noon game on time.

I think the OCS will do wonders for student attendance, at least initially (it will be up to the team to be successful and make them want to come back). However, you could fit the entire student population (undergrad) in the new stadium and it would be barely 1/3 full.

Those other fans have to come from somewhere. I remember growing up in the metro area (I was in high school in '98) and everything was still LSU, LSU, LSU. I would imagine it's even more like that now given the upriver success. I don't disagree that plenty of people would support Tulane, but Tulane clearly needs to be successful in order for that to happen.

The numbers show that this stadium will be about right for the expected attendance given moderate and spottily sustained success. You can't expect businessmen (because that's really what Cowen and stadium donors are) to gamble that Tulane will set the world on fire and sell 50,000 tickets every year.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:Here is the long awaited Hullabaloo SMG turnstile count article:

I am even quite perplexed by the turnstile count for the LSU games of 1989 - 35,193; 1991 - 23,504; and 1994 - 16,706??? Not the way I remember it, but only 16,706 for 1994?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're missing the point. You don't build a stadium based on your low ebb period. So again the point is this is not the time to build. Let's build the program first over these next 5 years and then judge what we need. If one wants to go by the current numbers then the stadium is actually way too big especially considering that the opposition is about to go way down. Also, I forgot to note above that it's a terrible argument to say well if we play a real game then we can play it in the Dome. We should be playing nothing but real games and all should be in the Dome. There is no interest in sub D-1 football in this area.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Here is the long awaited Hullabaloo SMG turnstile count article:

I am even quite perplexed by the turnstile count for the LSU games of 1989 - 35,193; 1991 - 23,504; and 1994 - 16,706??? Not the way I remember it, but only 16,706 for 1994?
That's probably "no shows" those LSU numbers are 100% incorrect.
Tulane Class of 1981