Bill Goldring Land Donation / Athletic Village

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

winwave wrote:jd we are not forgetting it. The point is it has been 7 years. Seems everyone but Tulane has moved on.

My point is it takes a long time to get your shit together and land development and prospecting probably was a low priority (duh). So at least they're doing it! I would think more like 4-5 years not 6-7 but still. I'm gonna give them some rope here. HERE. not elsewhere.

Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:
winwave wrote:jd we are not forgetting it. The point is it has been 7 years. Seems everyone but Tulane has moved on.

My point is it takes a long time to get your sh*t together and land development and prospecting probably was a low priority (duh). So at least they're doing it! I would think more like 4-5 years not 6-7 but still. I'm gonna give them some rope here. HERE. not elsewhere.
In that time span Tulane has opened the new baseball stadium, opened the new bball/volleyball practice center and announced plans for the new football stadium -- but not until just now have they even mentioned anything about having it available and anything about just taking a look at the property to see what exactly they might be able to do with it. Something doesn't add up here.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JDTulane
Riptide

Fred Dowler wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

My point is it takes a long time to get your sh*t together and land development and prospecting probably was a low priority (duh). So at least they're doing it! I would think more like 4-5 years not 6-7 but still. I'm gonna give them some rope here. HERE. not elsewhere.
In that time span Tulane has opened the new baseball stadium, opened the new bball/volleyball practice center and announced plans for the new football stadium -- but not until just now have they even mentioned anything about having it available and anything about just taking a look at the property to see what exactly they might be able to do with it. Something doesn't add up here.
Those projects had been in the works pre Katrina and already funded. Plus they were on campus and we know the land/facilities/set up there. And you just highlighted a ton of major projects needing attention. So maybe this was next in line. Thanks for proving points.
sader24
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

Those projects had been in the works pre Katrina and already funded. Plus they were on campus and we know the land/facilities/set up there. And you just highlighted a ton of major projects needing attention. So maybe this was next in line. Thanks for proving points.

Jesuit managed to acquire land, raise money, and build a multi-use baseball facility in a 2-3 year period in the same area Tulane has had 13 acres of free land for 7 years. Sometimes it's as simple as one group wants to get something done and the other group doesnt.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Jesuit managed to acquire land, raise money, and build a multi-use baseball facility in a 2-3 year period in the same area Tulane has had 13 acres of free land for 7 years. Sometimes it's as simple as one group wants to get something done and the other group doesnt.
Actually less than 1 year and 11 months to be exact. From the purchase, donation and completion of the entire $8 million dollar multi-sport facility..
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... -facility/
It represents a journey that began with dreams of having a place to call home, the seven-acre property being purchased in December 2009, ground breaking a year later and final completion in November 2011.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

The baseball stadium work was already under way in 2005, but that was the only project under way then and then not only that but also the baseball team played for two years at Zephyr Field even after that while they were working on the new baseball stadium.

Thus I'm not at all convinced that there was no posible way that Tulane could have brought things to a stop right then and have re-examined everything and then have moved with a coherent, comprehensive plan.

What they've done in fact, rather, seems very much to have been in a piecemeal fashion and that's why the football stadium project is going to have to be squeezed into a 5 acre site that's going to prove to very limiting, to say the least, and where I feel strongly the facility will be hemmed in and locked in without any real room to grow, and this state of affairs is something that cannot be blamed on the complaining neighbors. It's purely the fault of the powers-who-are at the top.

Then they've had this property available for 7 years but only now are seemingly starting to try to merely determine what, if anything, they can do with it. Shouldn't they have conducted such an exercise 7 years ago?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:
Except if an OCS was so important, then using physical plant and capital and prioritizing the other projects was a strategic mistake. Either it was a strategic blunder or this OCS isn't important. Can't have it both ways.
JDTulane
Riptide

Or we're dealing with a university with hundreds of projects and not enough personnel. This aint UCLA
sader24
Tsunami

I hear ya JD, but theyve been getting it wrong on a large and consistent scale since the 1950's. We're talking about 13 available acres for 7 years that still havent been analyzed.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:Or we're dealing with a university with hundreds of projects and not enough personnel. This aint UCLA
Nah, this has nothing to do with that. This has to do with a basic understanding of the economics of D1A athletics and that football is the major revenue driver that allows basketball and baseball and all the other sports to operate. When you commit major physical plant to a baseball stadium and a basketball facility, you have to ask yourself "is there anything more important we could use this land for?". Seems that they didn't know the OCS was strategically important until they didn't have anymore room for it. Or it was never really strategically important. It can't be both, so it was either a huge blunder or the OCS isn't important and there's no middle ground or acceptable excuse on that.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Or we're dealing with a university with hundreds of projects and not enough personnel. This aint UCLA
Nah, this has nothing to do with that. This has to do with a basic understanding of the economics of D1A athletics and that football is the major revenue driver that allows basketball and baseball and all the other sports to operate. When you commit major physical plant to a baseball stadium and a basketball facility, you have to ask yourself "is there anything more important we could use this land for?". Seems that they didn't know the OCS was strategically important until they didn't have anymore room for it. Or it was never really strategically important. It can't be both, so it was either a huge blunder or the OCS isn't important and there's no middle ground or acceptable excuse on that.
Bingo!!
2ndGenWave
High Tide

While we talk about this all the time, I feel like we should collect as many details about this mythic project as we can and discuss what this should entail. Here are a few of my questions but I'm really just interested in what we all know and think about this crucial next step for Tulane athletics.

1) Where exactly beyond off Jefferson highway (like highlighted on a map) is this property? How big is it?

2) Are there more definite plans for this?

3) What should we put here?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

How can anyone suggest we move forward with an athletic village? The football program is going to need an IPF/Facilities/locker room besides the expansion that everyone here is talking about.

The football program has numerous needs. Talking about spending resources on Olympic sports at this point is typical Tulane/Dickson. Unless of course you believe 22k is the final goal for the football program.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

So, we still don't know exactly what this property entails and have no new info since 2012?
2ndGenWave
High Tide

Why can't the athletic village include/start with facilities for football?
Jonathan
Riptide

We do not want to put tennis and track out in the boon docks near the Jesuit baseball facility. Ask Bill Goldring to purchase a few homes adjacent to Yulman and Turchin and build there.
ajcalhoun
Swell

2ndGenWave wrote:
Where exactly beyond off Jefferson highway (like highlighted on a map) is this property? How big is it?
This would be nice info to have. Somebody please, do it!
God Bless Everyone!
Wavetime
Swell

I'm sure we have other threads on this topic, so feel free to move this if needed.

That being said, do we have any plans for any facility upgrades in the planning and/or implementation process? I am asking this question because facilities are a hot topic. I am not trying to get people all hyped up, just wanted to ask if anyone knows of something in the pipeline.

If nothing is in the works, does anyone know what will be the next targeted area?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nothing is being done till the stadium is paid off. There are no firm plans after that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

We need a state of the art indoor football training facility like the Saints and LSU A&M to be more competitive in recruiting. The parking lot adjacent to South Claiborne Avenue would be a great place to build a multi story building to include parking spaces and the football training facility. Also our basketball facility Fogelman/Devon is basically a high school gym. Xavier's is much better than ours. We need a state of the art new arena about the same size at Duke/Cameron. Lastly a new Tulane village on the Goldring property for track,tennis etc. would be nice. I would also like to see some upgrades and replacements on Turchin baseball stadium as it is starting to age.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:We need a state of the art indoor football training facility like the Saints and LSU A&M to be more competitive in recruiting. The parking lot adjacent to South Claiborne Avenue would be a great place to build a multi story building to include parking spaces and the football training facility. Also our basketball facility Fogelman/Devon is basically a high school gym. Xavier's is much better than ours. We need a state of the art new arena about the same size at Duke/Cameron. Lastly a new Tulane village on the Goldring property for track,tennis etc. would be nice. I would also like to see some upgrades and replacements on Turchin baseball stadium as it is starting to age.
We happen to have one, coincidentally, identical to the Saints practice facility at our disposal. Turchin is still state of the art and far better than 90% of most collegiate baseball facilities. We're not talking about ten years from now, we're living now, in 2015.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

winwave wrote:Nothing is being done till the stadium is paid off. There are no firm plans after that.
That's no kind of plan for a D1 school looking to move up. That's a loser mindset. The $pending for athletics never stops, and upgrades and additions -- as with the university itself -- is the only way to attract elite athletes and remain competitive. There must always be a buzz about TU sports, proposals, plans, and the excitement that Tulane is moving forward.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:
winwave wrote:Nothing is being done till the stadium is paid off. There are no firm plans after that.
That's no kind of plan for a D1 school looking to move up. That's a loser mindset. The $pending for athletics never stops, and upgrades and additions -- as with the university itself -- is the only way to attract elite athletes and remain competitive. There must always be a buzz about TU sports, proposals, plans, and the excitement that Tulane is moving forward.
Tulane does not run it's Athletic Dept like a business, they are not familiar with the terms " Investment spending" or "ROI"... LSU in one the poorest states, is listed as the 5th most valuable Football program in America
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D we lose practice time when we have to travel to the Saints facility. Both ways cost us 30 minutes. Do you really think we can afford that? Also, our access will probably decrease now that the stadium opened. The Saints have always allowed Tulane some use but they gave us a lot more while we didn't have a place to practice on campus. They did that b/c of their big push to get us to hire CJ. Now that we have a place they will likely cut the access back as they don't want all that extra wear and tear on their facilities. CJ has said publicly at the end of the 2013 season that he wants it on campus. That way we have access at all times. We don't lose any practice time and it's right there to show off to recruits. The Rosen lot needs to be looked at for this.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:D we lose practice time when we have to travel to the Saints facility. Both ways cost us 30 minutes. Do you really think we can afford that? Also, our access will probably decrease now that the stadium opened. The Saints have always allowed Tulane some use but they gave us a lot more while we didn't have a place to practice on campus. They did that b/c of their big push to get us to hire CJ. Now that we have a place they will likely cut the access back as they don't want all that extra wear and tear on their facilities. CJ has said publicly at the end of the 2013 season that he wants it on campus. That we have access at all times. We don't lose any practice time and it's right there to show off to recruits. The Rosen lot needs to be looked at for this.
On my first trip this season to Texas Tech, I noticed a " practice football field", I was told that the facility was for the use of Texas Tech Band only, and that Football had it's own facilities and fields closer to the stadium
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !