Bill Goldring Land Donation / Athletic Village

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default

So now this news comes out.

Turns out that they're only looking at "analyzing the property."

Seems like maybe some people were getting way ahead of things.

But, as always with these talked-about items, it's best to hold on and wait and see until if and when the substance of whatever is being touted actually catches up to and matches the talk.

I will believe it when I can see it.

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
ExileWave
Surge

“You couldn’t go anywhere and find a better athletic director or president,” Goldring said. “I’ve been through and hired five athletic directors at Tulane and not a one is comparable to Rick Dickson.

SAY WHAT????
The Board is as delusional as SC and RD.
ExileWave
Surge

“You couldn’t go anywhere and find a better athletic director or president,” Goldring said. “I’ve been through and hired five athletic directors at Tulane and not a one is comparable to Rick Dickson.

SAY WHAT????
TURVS71
Swell

You overlooked the biggest part of the story, the unending praise for Rick Dickson......
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

That's my take...Rick the Wise ain't going nowhere
Tulane Class of 2004
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Cowen is ok with Dickson.
Goldring is ok with Dickson.

This shit ain't changing, and that's a damn shame. That ass-kissing makes me want to puke. :cens_green: :cens_green: :cens_green:
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Highwave
Low Tide

Am I missing something? If TU has this land, which apparently is enough to build a large athletic complex, with Tennis, track, etc. why not build a non-landlocked football stadium on it, where we can build (and expand) it to our own specs?
TURVS71
Swell

Let's see, under Dickson's watch:

-from a #7 ranking in 1998 to say, 124 or so
-hasn't yet hired a successful football or basketball coach
-extended the contract of a losing coach only having to fire him in mid season
-getting his university shut out/left out of the BCS and all the $$$$ to be made
-pushing one of the smallest if not the smallest stadium projects in FBS
-terrible PR skills
-insults long time fans

If you are not pushed to the point of vomiting then you have no Tulane soul.
This Goldring along with most of the BOA are stuffed shirts with backwards thinking attitudes and they are only worried about their multi million dollar houses and portfolios and the "coming out" parties for their debutante daughters.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Highwave wrote:Am I missing something? If TU has this land, which apparently is enough to build a large athletic complex, with Tennis, track, etc. why not build a non-landlocked football stadium on it, where we can build (and expand) it to our own specs?
You aren't missing something. Scott Cowen wants the stadium on campus because he wants to sell more tshirts and get people to campus. All the other Presidents look at $15M-$20M in TV money, Scott Cowen looks at selling more $19.99 logo-wear and $5 sodas.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Just thoroughly insulting as an alumni for a BOA member to try to pass this off as credible. Completely transparent and pathetic. Pitchforks are the appropriate response.
torbida
Surge

ExileWave wrote:“You couldn’t go anywhere and find a better athletic director or president,” Goldring said. “I’ve been through and hired five athletic directors at Tulane and not a one is comparable to Rick Dickson.

SAY WHAT????

that strip of land has to be a poppy field for Goldring to make such a delusional,mind warping statement.Go Wave,Go away Dickson! :shock:
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Highwave wrote:Am I missing something? If TU has this land, which apparently is enough to build a large athletic complex, with Tennis, track, etc. why not build a non-landlocked football stadium on it, where we can build (and expand) it to our own specs?
Exactly.

You're talking about a difference between about 220,000 (rough estimate) square feet with the proposed site on campus and about 560,000 square feet (13 acres in the article). More than double.

Talk about stuck on stupid!!

And also if the stadium were to be built at the off campus site then Tulane would not be having to foot the bill to rebuild a tennis complex and track facility that it wasn't that long ago that they just completed and that will have to be torn out for the football stadium.

And this property was donated 7 years ago??!! :!:
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

torbida wrote:
ExileWave wrote:“You couldn’t go anywhere and find a better athletic director or president,” Goldring said. “I’ve been through and hired five athletic directors at Tulane and not a one is comparable to Rick Dickson.

SAY WHAT????

that strip of land has to be a poppy field for Goldring to make such a delusional,mind warping statement.Go Wave,Go away Dickson! :shock:
Didn't someone else that they estimate 9000 or so patrons to be walking to the stadium game after game?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane has to find a spot to relocate the sports that are being displaced by Yulman. This property seems to offer the best opportunity for that. Seems to be a good location for those minor women's sports and men's track. With all that space on game days Tulane will probably use it as a shuttle site and charge for parking for the Yulman. .
Tulane officials said Gould Evans, a multi-disciplinary design firm out of Kansas City, Mo., is currently analyzing the property for replacing the displaced tennis and track facilities as well as looking at “other campus recreation needs.”

“I gave it to Tulane seven years ago and I’ve been trying to convince them to do a master plan for years and I think they finally decided that it’s a pretty good site,” Goldring said. “It’s a perfect location for a soccer field, women’s volleyball, tennis – a real athletic complex.”
Last edited by tpstulane on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

On the other forum, posted by "Lafwave"

And I don't usually quote what they post but let's see how long this one lasts before they delete it and/or lock the thread up

"I know we don't know what exactly the Goldring land will be used for, or if it will be used at all. It just seems backwards to me to build football stadium on campus, and build an athletic complex, tennis courts, soccer field, etc. off campus, if that is the plan.

Why would you tear down existing infrastructure, forcing at least some student-athletes to travel off campus to practice, in order to build the "crown jewel" of your athletic program on someone else's (the Nimbys) terms? Who does that make sense to?

I have admittedly opposed the current OCS plans because of the target capacity. However, operating under the assumption there was nowhere else to build it, I at least appreciated the fact that TU was doing what it could with the space available. As that no longer appears to be the case, I have to say that I am more than a bit disappointed and, frankly, confused."

A robust nod of the head on that.

Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:Tulane has to find a spot to relocate the sports that are being displaced by the POSS. This property seems to offer the best opportunity for that. Seems to be a good location for those minor women's sports and men's track. With all that space on game days Tulane will probably use it as a shuttle site and charge for parking for the POSS.
Tulane officials said Gould Evans, a multi-disciplinary design firm out of Kansas City, Mo., is currently analyzing the property for replacing the displaced tennis and track facilities as well as looking at “other campus recreation needs.”

“I gave it to Tulane seven years ago and I’ve been trying to convince them to do a master plan for years and I think they finally decided that it’s a pretty good site,” Goldring said. “It’s a perfect location for a soccer field, women’s volleyball, tennis – a real athletic complex.”
my questions are as follows:

- is the Goldring land able to accommodate a football stadium?
- is the Goldring land also able to accommodate an IPF and fball practice fields, taking into account parking/tailgating area for football?
- what sports have already been displaced, if any, by the most recent construction?
- what sports will be displaced by the OCS?

Seems as though the football program could/should be the only sport "displaced" by moving off campus (2 miles), and there may be enough room to accommodate all that we want/need for that program. The on-campus space, it seems, could be better used for athletic complexes, minor sports, etc. with fball out of the equation.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Highwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Tulane has to find a spot to relocate the sports that are being displaced by the POSS. This property seems to offer the best opportunity for that. Seems to be a good location for those minor women's sports and men's track. With all that space on game days Tulane will probably use it as a shuttle site and charge for parking for the POSS.

my questions are as follows:

- is the Goldring land also able to accommodate an IPF and fball practice fields, taking into account parking/tailgating area for football?
- what sports have already been displaced, if any, by the most recent construction?

Seems as though the football program could/should be the only sport "displaced" by moving off campus, and there may be enough room to accommodate all that we want/need. The on-campus space, it seems, could be better used for athletic complexes, minor sports, etc. with fball out of the equation.
The main questions I see are whether that 13 acres figure is accurate and then also where exactly it is.

But if it really is that much usable acreage then heck yes there is NO reason to be both displacing these other sports facilities and doing so for the purpose of building a football stadium that's going to be thoroughly land-locked (and, let's not forget, really and truly at a site other than where the old on-campus football stadium was) making almost any kind of meaningful expansion almost out of the question in practical terms in my view and present numerous parking and traffic problems with or without the crazy satellite parking lots/shuttle set-up that they've talked about.

And, also, come to think of it, didn't Yvette Jones say publicly in the heart of the controversy a few months ago that they are building the stadium where they are because there is no alternative site where the space was available?
Jonathan
Riptide

This land is in the middle of no where. Hewould over value it and get. Large right off. Why are you guys fixated on this?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:On the other forum, posted by "Lafwave"

And I don't usually quote what they post but let's see how long this one lasts before they delete it and/or lock the thread up
I do not support wasting any time or giving any pageviews to those unfortunately sad people, but if you see something that you know is going to get deleted, like this post, posting it here makes sense. That the other forum continues to exist shows exactly the kind of stubborn cluelessness that has Tulane University in the position it's in (don't question authority, even if it's obvious BS).

Perhaps showing people that you can print text many places on the internet and discuss all things Tulane over here will help people see the light and allow others to have these critical discussions.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This land has been available for 7 years. That's why fighting NIMBY's, fans and supporters along the way to building this stadium on campus is difficult. Tulane should have built something on that Goldring site by now. Jesuit acquired similiar land not far from this site and immediately began to build a muti-purpose top-notch high school athletic facility on in it. I don't see them changing the stadium site at this point in time.
Last edited by tpstulane on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Highwave wrote:my questions are as follows:

Seems as though the football program could/should be the only sport "displaced" by moving off campus (2 miles), and there may be enough room to accommodate all that we want/need for that program. The on-campus space, it seems, could be better used for athletic complexes, minor sports, etc. with fball out of the equation.
+1
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:On the other forum, posted by "Lafwave"

I do not support wasting any time or giving any pageviews to those unfortunately sad people, but if you see something that you know is going to get deleted, like this post, posting it here makes sense. That the other forum continues to exist shows exactly the kind of stubborn cluelessness that has Tulane University in the position it's in (don't question authority, even if it's obvious BS).

Perhaps showing people that you can print text many places on the internet and discuss all things Tulane over here will help people see the light and allow others to have these critical discussions.
That post raised some very pertinent questions and really should be causing a lot of questions to be asked about this whole stadium project.

It does seem just plain stupid to be displacing and relocating facilities when if they have had this property available this whole time and if indeed it's that usable could have used it -- and also have avoided going through all the trouble that they have had to in dealing with city and neighobors -- while at the same time they were claiming that there was no alternative to the one site on campus.

I really think, though, that a serious Pandora's box has now been opened with this discussion and I do hope that the questions are raised and the light shed on this whole mess. And it is a grand mess.

Just goes to show what happens with the operators of the other forum trying to be cute and pull their usual routine of revealing tidbits of party line happy talk amid another bad football season and the usual Cone of Silence from official sources until now (with the fact of people starting to ask questions of the beat reporter through the media fan chat since despite the rumors of facilties work ongoing there was no official word perhaps spurring the insiders to come forth and say something openly now) possibly, probably burning their own selves in the process.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:This land has been available for 7 years. That's why fighting NIMBY's, fans and supporters along the way to building this POSS on campus is frustrating. Tulane should have built a stadium on that Goldring site by now. Jesuit acquired similiar land not far from this site and immediately began to build a muti-purpose top-notch high school athletic facility on in it. I don't see them changing the stadium site at this point in time.
Jesuit has their act together better than Tulane does.

Another reason why it's so hard to have any faith in this group.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Also, to answer an obvious question. If Tulane did build a bigger stadium on another location, it would cost more and they can't raise the money for the smaller stadium. So there's that....
JerseyWave
Riptide

What the hell is wrong with Bill Goldring??? Praising Tricky Rick. Does winning not matter to this guy? Does he realize Tulane is the lowest ranked major college football program? Is he aware of the repeated inability of the AD to make a good hire? Tulane athletics is a national laughingstock. Has Bill Goldrong been living is cave since the nineties? What a terrible joke!!!