Should Rick Dickson continue as Tulane AD

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Should Rick Dickson continue as Tulane AD

Yes
3%
No
97%

Total votes: 70
IM42lane
Swell

Do we believe him?

*************************************************************************************
January 18, 2011

Dear Green Wave Fans,

As we begin the New Year, we created a new way of keeping in touch. Wave Chat will come out every two weeks during the school year and I will be writing about a variety of topics that I hope will interest you.

First, let’s talk football. Our football program was in dismal shape when Coach Toledo took over four years ago. In light of this, he and his staff have done a very solid job in rebuilding the talent base through recruiting and a fourth consecutive solid class is in sight for the February signing date. This is critically important for “any” staff to succeed.

Additionally, this class will result in Coach Toledo’s staff having total responsibility for the squad on campus for the first time. The competitive goals have been set: to compete successfully in our division in Conference USA and be eligible to compete in post-season bowls.

As a result of last spring’s decision by the administration to increase university contributions to Athletics, we have increased the football program’s financial support. We are putting more money toward academic support, the training room, equipment and recruiting. If Coach Toledo wishes to change his mind and house the team in a hotel before home games, the funds are there to do so as they have been in the past.

Since football is such an important component of every Division IA program, I will be talking more about different football issues in the coming weeks including a possible stadium, recruiting and marketing, ticket sales and the new Conference USA-Fox Television agreement.

Now on to basketball.....Those of you who haven’t made it to Fogelman to see the men or women play this year are really missing out. The kids are playing hard and they are being successful. We need to help them out by filling the stands.

Both the men and women play an exciting brand of basketball. Coach Conroy has the men off to their best conference start in 15 years. Coach Stockton has got her women doing the same. If you like exciting team-oriented basketball, it’s all there waiting for you.

Above all, let me thank all of you for your continued support of our student-athletes. Continue this and they will continue to represent Tulane in the class manner we all aspire for them.

Roll Wave!

Rick Dickson

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wait, so he mailed a letter? To whom?

Didn't he start the Youtube chats to accomplish the same thing?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

The competitive goals have been set: to compete successfully in our division in Conference USA and be eligible to compete in post-season bowls.
Just ridiculous. I have never seen any athletic program, or any business or organization of any type, ever come out and say that their goal is to be mediocre.

The goal isn't even to win the CUSA division, just to "compete", and bowl eligibility means .500.

Also, considering that the in-division competition is SMU and Houston and they are outspending Tulane by a significant margin (in fact, multiples) it doesn't seem likely that Tulane will achieve even the incredibly modest goals.

If you are a Tulane fan this should make steam come out of your ears.
JTLiuzza
Swell

"Do we believe him?"

These two are long past the point of being taken seriously by anyone based on their statements. As I've stated here before, watch what they DO (or not do).

The very act of issuing a statement is an insult to me. No more latitude, no more benefit of doubt, no more goodwill. THEY squandered that. Had I received that letter I would have scrawled "no more talk, let's see some concrete ACTION in the direction of excellence" on it and mailed it back to Dickson, copy to his shady boss.

Avenues for information are great. But if all you get is bs, smoke and mirrors, rah-rah propaganda, or Dickson's patented mumbling/talking in circles, what's the point? This "Wave Chat" will be about as useful as "Reel Time" was. It's like Goebbels cheerfully announcing that he's issuing another "newsletter."
Our football program was in dismal shape when Coach Toledo took over four years ago.
Whose fault was that? Is he trying to milk Katrina here for another season? Is he implicitly hanging that state of affairs around the neck of Scelfo, the coach Scott Cowen hired and Rick Dickson kept around for eight years running the program into the ground? Probably a bit of both.
...this class will result in Coach Toledo’s staff having total responsibility for the squad on campus for the first time.
Who had responsibility for it the last four years? Nobody? Is that why Toledo was completely absolved from everything that has thus far happened on the field in his tenure because he didn't recruit each and every player on the roster? Were the players he inherited not capable of winning at all? If so, where was Dickson's focus on recruiting when those guys were being signed up? Why did he continue to EXTEND the coach responsible? Complete flim flam.
The competitive goals have been set: to compete successfully in our division in Conference USA and be eligible to compete in post-season bowls.
In other words, .500 ball in one of the poorest football conferences in the country. Let me take a stab at it: "The competitive goals have been set: to represent the West in the CUSA title game every season, and to win. To represent Tulane, CUSA, and the city of New Orleans proudly in a post season bowl every year, and to win. And to thereby rebuild this old and proud football program to the level it should be, for Tulane football, players past and present, students and alumni, and the New Orleans community." Or something like that. Of course I used that dirty little three letter word "win" a few times. We all know we can't judge by wins and losses.
Since football is such an important component of every Division IA program
That's true but it's just more lip service since Tulane has completely ignored football for as long as I can remember, especially under the Cowen/Dickson regime. In fact, ignoring football would be an improvement. What Cowen did was to actually try to kill it, on purpose. So much for how important they think it is. Again, when you're dealing with skunks, watch what they DO, not what they say.
I will be talking more about different football issues in the coming weeks including a possible stadium, recruiting and marketing, ticket sales and the new Conference USA-Fox Television agreement.
All of which are irrelevant (other than recruiting) to the real issue, WINNING. Do that, Rick, and the rest of it takes care of itself or at least becomes a whole heck of a lot easier.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
sader24
Tsunami

If our goal is to win 6 games and COMPETE in our DIVISION, not our goddamn conference our division, we should pack it up and call it a day. How does he have the balls to list those as our goals. Even his B.S. is mediocre. Our goals should be no less than to win the conference and 10 games. If you fall short of that you're still talking 7-9 win seasons. They just don't get it and never will. Why put any money into a program you think at best can win 6 or 7 games. The whole thing is completely insane. The leadership from the top is the worst I've seen. I wonder what would've happened in school if I told my dad that my goals were to get C's and a 2.0. I'm assuming his response would've been less than excited.
RWR
Swell

Who did this letter go out to?
IM42lane
Swell

RWR wrote:Who did this letter go out to?

I took it off of YOGWF (under "Rick Dickson -- Wave Chat" or something like that).

I thought it would attract some interest, . . . and I guess that I was right for a change.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

IM42lane wrote:
RWR wrote:Who did this letter go out to?

I took it off of YOGWF (under "Rick Dickson -- Wave Chat" or something like that).

I thought it would attract some interest, . . . and I guess that I was right for a change.
I haven't received it and I'm a (former) donor who is most definitely on their mailing list (which is another story given that I'm very publicly calling them out at every turn).

Can they not even execute a simple mailing or email?
JTLiuzza
Swell

I didn't get it either but then I cut off the money spigot completely one year ago and long ago asked to be removed from the alumni listserve because I got tired of them writing me emails telling me how great Cowen is.
TURVS71
Swell

In early December, after it was announced that Bob Toledo would be retained, I sent, what I felt was a strong email to Rick Dickson. Wish I would have saved a copy but it basically said that he was rolling the dice and that IF we get off to a bad start next football season that the season would be DEAD very early on. I also called him out on not being "public" enough and that we, as fans, basically don't trust what the athletic department MAY be doing. I called him out on the stadium matter and other related facility matters. I ended it by saying that I am and always will be a Tulane fan. He knows who I am and knows that I am sincere. I informed him that he did not have to respond to me but to ALL. Now I am not saying that this had anything to do with his new "letter" but, who knows. Perhaps he received enough of these and felt he had to do something. Am I satisfied, not really, but the pressure needs to remain. We shall see....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JTLiuzza
Swell

Nice job, turv.
RWR
Swell

Is it somewhere on Tulane's site? I have looked under blogs but don't see it. If it's not it appears very few people will even get the letter.
IM42lane
Swell

I pulled a copy directly off of the YOGWF site (yes, I do lurk).

http://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33580
RWR wrote:Is it somewhere on Tulane's site? I have looked under blogs but don't see it. If it's not it appears very few people will even get the letter.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TURVS71 wrote:In early December, after it was announced that Bob Toledo would be retained, I sent, what I felt was a strong email to Rick Dickson. Wish I would have saved a copy but it basically said that he was rolling the dice and that IF we get off to a bad start next football season that the season would be DEAD very early on. I also called him out on not being "public" enough and that we, as fans, basically don't trust what the athletic department MAY be doing. I called him out on the stadium matter and other related facility matters. I ended it by saying that I am and always will be a Tulane fan. He knows who I am and knows that I am sincere. I informed him that he did not have to respond to me but to ALL. Now I am not saying that this had anything to do with his new "letter" but, who knows. Perhaps he received enough of these and felt he had to do something. Am I satisfied, not really, but the pressure needs to remain. We shall see....
There's no doubt that the grumbling is getting louder (as it should) and that the letter is a culmination of pushing back against the grumbling as well as in response to the people asking for more communication.

But people having been expressing their frustrations in private and that has produced very little (and that letter is very little). There won't be accountability until the grumbling turns loud and public.
Bigschtick
Riptide

This guy is so full of crap!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
TURVS71
Swell

Ok, I know this isn't going to do anything BUT I just had to make my feelings known:

Mr. Dickson,

I have to say that I am very disappointed with your comments made in the Hullabaloo interview. They do NOTHING to promote fan interest and only serve to further alienate our fan base.
I liken your comments to that guy trying to get a date with the most beautiful co-ed on campus. He wants to go out with her but continually tells her about his faults, yet he expects her to go out with him and can't understand when she says no. The Tulane administration wants support but at almost every turn, insults the intelligence of its fans.

I am going to post this below. You have probably seen it but here it is anyway:

"Athletics is a part of the University's history and tradition. It builds community support for TCU. In fact, the athletics program can be defined as a window through which many view the University, providing a major source of national visibility. One study revealed that more than 95 percent of universities’ media coverage is related to athletics. The cost of funding athletics really can be seen as a marketing expense since athletics generates the visibility from which the entire institution benefits. There would be no marketing budget ample enough to provide the name recognition and visibility that are realized through athletic programs.'

You and Scott Cowen should know this. All the people I talk to cannot understand how the Administration can be so blind as to what the potential could be.

We don't need hundreds of millions invested, as you say. We need a progressive administration that realizes the potential and can bring this program to the 21st Century. The Administration has systematically watered down this program and it has allowed us to be at this point in time. It is not the BCS, it is TULANE, the ONLY Division 1 university in the city of New Orleans.

Tulane continues to amaze me!

Bob Segari
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mr Bob...you have spoken the truth and have clouded the issue with fact !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

If you e-mailed that directly to Dickson, then he probably deleted it before Cowen and the Tulane Board got a chance to see it. You are questioning his ability to perform his job after all (which we both know he performs very poorly).

I wish that there was a way right now for all of us to effectively communicate to the southeast Louisiana area media and the general public how disappointed we are with the LACK of decent leadership that has been shown by Cowen and Dickson over these last few years. Tulane has done nothing but become stagnant during their watch. Being six years removed from Katrina does not give them a pass anymore. THEY HAVE GOT TO GO, PERIOD!

TURVS71 wrote:Ok, I know this isn't going to do anything BUT I just had to make my feelings known:

Mr. Dickson,

I have to say that I am very disappointed with your comments made in the Hullabaloo interview. They do NOTHING to promote fan interest and only serve to further alienate our fan base.
I liken your comments to that guy trying to get a date with the most beautiful co-ed on campus. He wants to go out with her but continually tells her about his faults, yet he expects her to go out with him and can't understand when she says no. The Tulane administration wants support but at almost every turn, insults the intelligence of its fans.

I am going to post this below. You have probably seen it but here it is anyway:

"Athletics is a part of the University's history and tradition. It builds community support for TCU. In fact, the athletics program can be defined as a window through which many view the University, providing a major source of national visibility. One study revealed that more than 95 percent of universities’ media coverage is related to athletics. The cost of funding athletics really can be seen as a marketing expense since athletics generates the visibility from which the entire institution benefits. There would be no marketing budget ample enough to provide the name recognition and visibility that are realized through athletic programs.'

You and Scott Cowen should know this. All the people I talk to cannot understand how the Administration can be so blind as to what the potential could be.

We don't need hundreds of millions invested, as you say. We need a progressive administration that realizes the potential and can bring this program to the 21st Century. The Administration has systematically watered down this program and it has allowed us to be at this point in time. It is not the BCS, it is TULANE, the ONLY Division 1 university in the city of New Orleans.

Tulane continues to amaze me!

Bob Segari
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Even in the interview, Dickson says
I don’t see that as the right formula or plan for us. Maybe there are those out there who would like it to be, but that would be at the expense of Tulane being Tulane.
which means that they've heard all the letters, emails and other complaints. They don't care and are unwilling to change their minds, even after a decade of embarrassment and failure. Many people would call that a form of insanity.

They've had their chance to respond to emails and polite requests. It's time to make more noise than that.
IM42lane
Swell

AMEN ! ! !

jonathanjoseph wrote:Even in the interview, Dickson says
I don’t see that as the right formula or plan for us. Maybe there are those out there who would like it to be, but that would be at the expense of Tulane being Tulane.
which means that they've heard all the letters, emails and other complaints. They don't care and are unwilling to change their minds, even after a decade of embarrassment and failure. Many people would call that a form of insanity.

They've had their chance to respond to emails and polite requests. It's time to make more noise than that.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:...they've heard all the letters, emails and other complaints. They don't care and are unwilling to change their minds, even after a decade of embarrassment and failure. Many people would call that a form of insanity.

Absolutely correct. They've been stringing people along with their baloney for too long. Anyone who expects anything substantial out of these two in the direction of stopping the incessant embarrassment is fooling themselves.
RWR
Swell

Thaks for taking the time to do that turvs.

As for his statemnt about what others may want that is not the first time he has publicly stated that. He made similar comments at EC's hiring. They clearly don't care and aren't shy about saying it publicly.
sader24
Tsunami

What are his and Cowen's email addresses as well as those of Ed Daniels, Jim Henderson, and other local sportscasters. Maybe if you/we keep sending them emails and they refuse to give any sort of honest reply and then you send the whole exchange to local sportscasters you could possibly get some people interested in it enough to start calling them out more frequently on air. Maybe if the news guys actually realize there are people still very interested and disappointed in this situation they might start to put some media pressure on them. I'm not saying this is going to work, but the couple dozen of us just saying the same things over again and again on here aren't going to get it done. Personally, I believe unless something changes drastically at the top that Tulane athletics will not have football and will be Div 3 by 2020. It just can't sustain with the direction its headed. I really think there is nothing to lose from going all out against the administration. It would be great if this site actually could in some way change something positively from an athletics standpoint at Tulane. The only pressure they've felt was in 2003 and they folded under pressure. If we could somehow get some media/important people after Cowen and Dickson I believe at least one if not both would fold again. Dickson's interview was completely unacceptable and Cowen's stance towards athletics is completely unacceptable as well. I say we get these email address on here and start at least trying to get some sort of momentum going. It's better than nothing.
gbgreenie
Surge

I have said this on other post Dickson and Cowen are idiots. If the school showed a true committment and proved it with a little investment the state, city and Tom Benson owner of the Saints and Fox would see the mutual benefit of a successful Tulane Athletic program and probably would chip in. Tom Benson would benefit as attendence increases so does his parking and concession revenue increase. With attendence increases so does tax revenue for the city and state. With a successful Tulane Athletic Program and a bigger schedule with BCS teams would bring in more fans and tourist from visiting teams. Tulane will not get help until they prove as a University that they are serious about fielding a lst class Athletic Program. Tom Benson would increase coverage of the program with his Fox 8 sports programming and that could spread to other stations coverage. This would be free marketing. The state or city could give tax breaks just like they would for any expanding industry. But the university has to uphold its end and prove it is serious. Without that Tulane's Sports Program will die a slow death like UNO.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

we need to voice our displeasure to the BOARD MEMBERS on a daily basis..flood them with e mails and phone calls
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !