Vote on the worst Tulane AD in the last 50 or so years.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

The worst Tulane AD in the last 50 years

Rix Yard 1963-76 ("Angry Wave" logo & left the SEC)
21%
Hindman Wall 1976-1985 (Defeated LSU in football 3 times)
5%
Mac Brown 1985-87 (hired himself Independence Bowl)
3%
Chet Gladchuk 1987-1990 (hired Perry Clark)
No votes
Kevin White 1990-1996 (hired Rick Jones and Lisa Stockton)
No votes
Sandy Barbour 1996-1999 (12-0 & hired Tommy Bowden)
3%
Rick Dickson 1999-Present (Failure with hiring head coaches)
69%

Total votes: 78
wavedat
Swell

Bottom line you are only talking a few people there. The general public is unmoved by the game.

Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:Bottom line you are only talking a few people there. The general public is unmoved by the game.
Your point?
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:Bottom line you are only talking a few people there. The general public is unmoved by the game.
Your point?
Read the thread. :roll:
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Show Me
Tsunami

Fat Harry wrote:I still think Barbour is the worst, simply because she wasted all the good will of the Bowden era by hiring Scelfo.
How do you feel today?
waveclem
Surge

Show Me wrote:
Fat Harry wrote:I still think Barbour is the worst, simply because she wasted all the good will of the Bowden era by hiring Scelfo.
How do you feel today?
Fat Harry, r u fu%$ing joking or not? Do you really think Barbour wanted to hire Scelfo??! She told Rodriguez to wear a green tie to press conference the night before and then Cowen stepped in at the last minute and vetoed her selection. That's why she was relieved of duties less then a year later. She didn't agree with Cowen's way of doing things. I thought every Tulane fan knew this to be the story.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

waveclem wrote:
Show Me wrote:
How do you feel today?
Fat Harry, r u fu%$ing joking or not? Do you really think Barbour wanted to hire Scelfo??! She told Rodriguez to wear a green tie to press conference the night before and then Cowen stepped in at the last minute and vetoed her selection. That's why she was relieved of duties less then a year later. She didn't agree with Cowen's way of doing things. I thought every Tulane fan knew this to be the story.
That's the sad truth, is that if the Tulane community knew the truth about Cowen, and I'm not just talking about the Barbour/RR/Scelfo story, more would be ready for pitchforks. Why do you think they communicate so little? They say almost nothing so that they can't be pinned to anything.

Anyone got the threshold for a successful basketball season as stated by Cowen/Dickson? That's right, we "competed for the postseason" and thus Cowen can claim that he and his handpicked athletic department had a successful season by their own laid out goals.
Show Me
Tsunami

We had both good and bad ones. Dickson is a bad one.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:We had both good and bad ones. Dickson is a bad one.
Kevin White and Sandy Barbor were both very good ones.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

Hindman Wall said no to Lindy Infante in 1979 but without question Dickson is in a league all unto himself for incompetence.
sader24
Tsunami

Thanks for the Gigantic Letters, but I'm not blind.
Show Me
Tsunami

End of an error!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Dickson is the worst in the modern era of college athletics. There is a large collection of data points which solidify such an opinion.
Jonathan
Riptide

Rick Yard by far took us out of the SEC to go independent is number 1 and Rick Dickson number 2 for hiring all incompetent football and basketball coaches during his tenure. Tommy Bowden was our AD for a short period when he was head football coach (remember that 12-0 season number 7 in the nation in final national poll)but Wright Waters ran the athletic program for him effectively in my opinion. Wright was always there to meet with you and would sit in the baseball,basketball and football stands with the Tulane faithful and chat! I.e. Us! He returned your telephone calls unlike Dickson.
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:Dickson is the worst in the modern era of college athletics. There is a large collection of data points which solidify such an opinion.
Troy Dannen's start is now the worst in Tulane history.
pansdad
Ripple

It was Mack Brown, not Tommy Bowden who was AD for a short period.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Dickson is the worst in the modern era of college athletics. There is a large collection of data points which solidify such an opinion.

Totally disagree, have to give it far more time.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
Just as it was ludicrous to try to grade his first 6 months, the results of his first year are still TBD. Certainly MBB and baseball hires are questionable at this point, but the hiring of Dunleavy and Jewitt were not done for a sprint, but, rather for a marathon.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
glennc
Low Tide

Rick Dickson is by far the worst AD, however he got us out of cusa. That is the only positive I can think of. We sure never needed a new stadium. The problem wasn't the superdome it was years and years of incompetent athletics. I have been going to football (and some baseball and basketball) games since I was a kid. I am now 70 and know that if the game was played in their back yard the students would still not go.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I think some of y'all are nuts, but this is nothing new.

First, in the poll Hindman Wall is given credit for beating LSU thrice but nothing is mentioned about the Wally English fiasco much less the shutting down of the basketball program. Any other candidate on this poll would have to literally murder people to be considered worse, including Rick Dickson.

Second, while it's not looking too good so far we need take a deep breath before judging TD. We better not do anything rash. It's not like talented AD people are lining up to take this job.
God Bless Everyone!
Show Me
Tsunami

Need to update with Dannen as a choice.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 am Need to update with Dannen as a choice.
No doubt. Dannen will definitely give Dickson a run for his money, now.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

I voted for Hindman Wall since he is the idiot who cost us the 1980s by saying "no" to OC Lindy Infante for head coach & hiring instead Vince Gibson (a very nice guy but with a 6-5 record @ a Louisville then playing its football games in a minor league baseball staduim - the job should have gone to Infante, like Rodriguez, he earned it) & then followed that hire with Wally English, a total disaster. By the time Mack Brown got there in 1985, there was nothing left.

For the 1979 season we "ruled the world" beating LSU on national television @ the Dome for a sellout game even the Budweiser Clydesdales made an appearance for @ halftime, in addition to "kinky strippers" dressed in green leotards pretending to bull whip @ the 50 yard line a fake "Mike the Tiger" for being a "bad boy." Then, when Larry Smith left in the Spring of 1980, just like for 1998, the "Tulane idiot gear" kicked in and Wall decided to find somebody "cheap" who "would stay."

1979 was all about Infante, he wanted the job and the players loved him. As head coach @ Green Bay Infante was named the 1989 AP NFL Coach of the Year.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:12 am I voted for Hindman Wall since he is the idiot who cost us the 1980s by saying "no" to OC Lindy Infante for head coach & hiring instead Vince Gibson (a very nice guy but with a 6-5 record @ a Louisville then playing its football games in a minor league baseball staduim - the job should have gone to Infante, like Rodriguez, he earned it) & then followed that hire with Wally English, a total disaster. By the time Mack Brown got there in 1985, there was nothing left.

For the 1979 season we "ruled the world" beating LSU on national television @ the Dome for a sellout game even the Budweiser Clydesdales made an appearance for @ halftime, in addition to "kinky strippers" dressed in green leotards pretending to bull whip @ the 50 yard line a fake "Mike the Tiger" for being a "bad boy." Then, when Larry Smith left in the Spring of 1980, just like for 1998, the "Tulane idiot gear" kicked in and Wall decided to find somebody "cheap" who "would stay."

1979 was all about Infante, he wanted the job and the players loved him. As head coach @ Green Bay Infante was named the 1989 AP NFL Coach of the Year.
All true. And we dismantled Ole Miss in that 1979 season. And the green leopard chicks used their whips to the Devo tune “whip it, whip it good.” Oh yea— the good ole days.
Show Me
Tsunami

Disaster Dannen. Somehow managed to make Dickson look acceptable.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:27 pm Disaster Dannen. Somehow managed to make Dickson look acceptable.
Exactly. Dannen and Fitts have taken us in reverse