Vote on the worst Tulane AD in the last 50 or so years.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

The worst Tulane AD in the last 50 years

Rix Yard 1963-76 ("Angry Wave" logo & left the SEC)
21%
Hindman Wall 1976-1985 (Defeated LSU in football 3 times)
5%
Mac Brown 1985-87 (hired himself Independence Bowl)
3%
Chet Gladchuk 1987-1990 (hired Perry Clark)
No votes
Kevin White 1990-1996 (hired Rick Jones and Lisa Stockton)
No votes
Sandy Barbour 1996-1999 (12-0 & hired Tommy Bowden)
3%
Rick Dickson 1999-Present (Failure with hiring head coaches)
69%

Total votes: 78
Show Me
Tsunami

Who is the worst Tulane AD in the last 50 or so years?
Last edited by Show Me on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DrBox
Riptide

Small correction - Eamon Kelly hired Perry Clark. Gladcuk wanted Gary Colson.
tnelly15
Riptide

Dezman Moses called out Rick Dickson On twitter tonight. I'm sure many of you have seen it, but for those not on twitter I'll post it. "Man I'm tired of hearing about how Tulane lost. Time to get a new AD. A new voice is needed #real"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

It's kind of a silly poll question because the different eras of college athletics have different circumstances. Not only is Rick Dickson the worst AD in Tulane history, he's very clearly in the running for worst AD in the history of D1A athletics.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Moses has spoken. Now listen to him. We need all former letterwinners to have their voices heard. This is an absolute embarrassment.
Dave breslin
Swell

This topic must be a rhetorical one. Of course this guy,RD, is the worst ever. This guy has the personality of a dead fish and a track record of methusilla ( everything he sees he kills). I'm trying to think of what he's done right. And he still has a job!! Wow, he's created a turd and thinks he's great. He needs to be flushed.
Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:Small correction - Eamon Kelly hired Perry Clark. Gladchuk wanted Gary Colson.
Actually it was Dave Bliss that Gladchuk wanted. But it doesn't matter if he wanted Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, or Gary Colson, on record he gets credit for the hiring the first minority coach in Tulane history. (Perry Clark)
Perry however did report to Dr. Kelly throughout his time at Tulane until 2000.
http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs ... 1/SPORTS03
The Navy athletic director has hired minorities. At Tulane and Boston College, he hired the first minority coaches in both schools history in basketball coaches Perry Clark and Al Skinner.
torbida
Surge

Easiest survey I ever did. How can this clown sleep at night overseeing a sad sack program,continuously making bad hires and knowing everyone's tired of his sorry arse?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Went back and checked on RD's record as an AD as to his football head coaching decisions on extending contracts and coaching hires.
We have lost the last 58 of 79 games in football under his direction since his Chris Scelfo extension. Including 15 in a row at this point. It's obvious that Tulane doesn't judge by wins and losses.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

Imagine if he was at any other school-he'd be tarred and feathered and ran outta town.My wife who knows very little about football asks me why do I watch such a sucky team.IMO she would be a better AD than cowen's poodle Dick Ricky.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Be sure to dye your hair for homecoming!
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: We have lost the last 58 of 79 games in football under his direction since his Chris Scelfo extension. Including 15 in a row at this point. It's obvious that Tulane doesn't judge by wins and losses.
Is that since the first Scelfo extension, or the second?

Dickson could pick names out of a hat and do better than he's done. It's stunning how poorly he evaluates coaching candidates (he never hired a football coach at Wazzu, but his record on basketball hires there is about equal to his record here).
And I believe that Dickson has done some things to improve our infrastructure (and I know that most of you don't believe it). And he's had to deal with Cowen. But that coaching record is just, well, I don't have an adjective for it.
Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote: We have lost the last 58 of 79 games in football under his direction since his Chris Scelfo extension. Including 15 in a row at this point. It's obvious that Tulane doesn't judge by wins and losses.

Dickson could pick names out of a hat and do better than he's done. It's stunning how poorly he evaluates coaching candidates (he never hired a football coach at Wazzu, but his record on basketball hires there is about equal to his record here).
And I believe that Dickson has done some things to improve our infrastructure (and I know that most of you don't believe it). And he's had to deal with Cowen. But that coaching record is just, well, I don't have an adjective for it.
Did he really give CS a 2nd extension? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Show Me on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Did he really give CS a 2nd extension?
Yes he did. And that record was from 2005 forward (Scelfo's last extension).
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Show Me wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Did he really give CS a 2nd extension?
Yes he did. And that record was from 2005 forward (Scelfo's last extension).
All of this focus on Rick Dickson.

Granted, he is who is and he's done what he's done.

But the root of the problem is at the highest level.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Show Me
Tsunami

Looks like RD has finally won at something. He leads 22-0 in the poll so far.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

Show Me wrote:Looks like RD has finally won at something. He leads 22-0 in the poll so far.
Extend his contract! LOL
Tulane Class of 2004
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

"The Cone of Silence"
Here's a list of all AD salaries in DI football with the exception of a few schools, Tulane being one.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2011/10/7 ... ollege-acc
Miami was excluded from the database as some private schools maintain unlisted tax information and some public schools do not list an outside income report. The other athletic directors not listed were from Northwestern, Penn State, Brigham Young, Rice, Southern California, Stanford, Temple and Tulane.
Here is the database
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/c ... tabase.htm
Former Tulane AD Kevin White is the highest paid AD in the ACC. and Chet Gladchuk making big bucks as well at Navy.
According to the list, DeFilippo's annual salary is $600,884, putting him behind only Duke's Kevin White ($908,659), Wake Forest's Ron Wellman ($694,950), Georgia Tech's Dan Radakovich ($623,500) and Clemson's Terry Don Phillips ($601,510).
Vanderbilt's David Williams, the highest paid athletics director in the country, the four A.D.s in the ACC making more than Gene and notably, Navy's (and former Tulane Athletic Director) Chuck Gladchuk $712,742.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

I vote for Dickson. Most incompetent Ad ever at Tulane. If he wasn't a yes man, he would have told Coward, to
stick it a long time ago. Dickson, resign. Lets stop the stadium!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Several months ago I played in a Golf Tournanament based in Spokane Washington...one of the courses played was the Washington State University course, which is just gorgeous...I have a Tulane logo'ed golf bag that I took on the trip...the people in Pullman were very nice, but almost asked how a university like Tulane could have hired such as dumb azz like Dickson... I told them that "the people" OF Tulane did not hire him, but some fat azz Yankee "AT" Tulane did...they felt so bad, I did not have to buy a beer all day !!!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote:Several months ago I played in a Golf Tournanament based in Spokane Washington...one of the courses played was the Washington State University course, which is just gorgeous...I have a Tulane logo'ed golf bag that I took on the trip...the people in Pullman were very nice, but almost asked how a univeridyt like Tulane could have hired such as dumb azz like Dickson... I told them that "the people" of Tulane did not hire him, but some fat azz Yankee at Tulane did...they felt so bad, I did not have to buy a beer all day !!!!
hey something you can actually THANK Rick the Wise for!
Tulane Class of 2004
torbida
Surge

A shame everyone knows Dickson's a loser except The human manatee and Dickson himself.Remember superman's archenemy Bizaaro who once said on the superfriends cartoon " Losing is Winning"? maybe Dickson is a real life Bizzaro. :twisted:
Show Me
Tsunami

Bump, 31 more reasons for Dickson to resign.
Fat Harry
Low Tide

I still think Barbour is the worst, simply because she wasted all the good will of the Bowden era by hiring Scelfo.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fat Harry wrote:I still think Barbour is the worst, simply because she wasted all the good will of the Bowden era by hiring Scelfo.
Sandy fired Buddy Teevens and hired Tommy Bowden, when Bowden left she gave the job to RR, Cowen overruled her and hired Scelfo and pushed Sandy out a short time later and hired Rick Dickson.
I'm going from memory here...
Tulane interviewed Gary Crowton, Chris Scelfo and RR. After RR met with Sandy, his next move was to meet with Dr. Cowen at his house that Saturday night.
RR spoke to SC for about two hours shook hands and went back to his office thinking he had the job. Sandy tells Rod that Dr. Cowen was very impressed everything looks great, the press conference will be on Monday morning at 11am, "wear your green jacket."
Last edited by tpstulane on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tulane Class of 1981