True or not?...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

The claim has been made by the Lord High Moderator of the other forum that Tulane coaches for 5 years running now have been able to recruit any athlete and offer up to the full number of scholarships available to athletes who meet the NCAA minimum admission/academic standard and not have to worry about whether any of them meets the higher Tulane admission standard -- and, one presumes, not have to worry about whether they can be able to get into school w/o a hitch.

One person on the other forum responded and said that that was a lie.

Is it believable or not?

Is it a distortion or a mischaracterization of the whole picture of what's going on?

Does anyone have any knowledge of what's really going on to corroborate or to contradict what was said?

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
sader24
Tsunami

I dont think it's true, not to mention without favorable majors and an Academic Center and plan for athletes we can't keep them elgible anyway. There has to be a comprehensive plan in place, anything less is a waste of time.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I dont think it's true, not to mention without favorable majors and an Academic Center and plan for athletes we can't keep them elgible anyway. There has to be a comprehensive plan in place, anything less is a waste of time.
That sounds very reasonable to me.

You can't just say that the coaches are being allowed to do such-and-such if we all know that there isn't the comprehensive apparatus there so that everything works.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
sader24
Tsunami

Not to say it's been one way or the other, but if Toledo was allowed to openly recruit and everytime he brought in an "exception" they flunked out of school or couldnt stay elgible I think it would be human nature to stop wasting time recruiting guys you didnt think you could keep elgible.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I think it's all revisionist history. If Tulane were to truly bury the Tulane Model, they (administrators) cannot do it quietly under the cover of darkness. Because our reputation has been so severely sullied over the past 14 years, resulting in us being a national laughingstock and monument to failure, should we actually abandon the Tulane Model, we need to do it in a very public way. We need to announce, proclaim, advertise, and market our renunciation of the Tulane Model so the world will know that we are on a new tract. Otherwise, coaches, ADs, and players will continue to assume that we are mired in the bog of the Tulane Model. The administration cannot abandon the Tulane Model quietly--they must admit the error of their ways, and tell the world that they have now seen the light--the world, and most Tulane fans, will believe nothing less.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
ExileWave
Surge

HoustonWave wrote:I think it's all revisionist history. If Tulane were to truly bury the Tulane Model, they (administrators) cannot do it quietly under the cover of darkness. Because our reputation has been so severely sullied over the past 14 years, resulting in us being a national laughingstock and monument to failure, should we actually abandon the Tulane Model, we need to do it in a very public way. We need to announce, proclaim, advertise, and market our renunciation of the Tulane Model so the world will know that we are on a new tract. Otherwise, coaches, ADs, and players will continue to assume that we are mired in the bog of the Tulane Model. The administration cannot abandon the Tulane Model quietly--they must admit the error of their ways, and tell the world that they have now seen the light--the world, and most Tulane fans, will believe nothing less.
+1
A New Orleans Jazz Funeral on the UC Quad would be appropriate.....but they will rely on JTS to proclaim their message.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I really do not understand the point of this, there are two possibilities:

1) The Model has not been in place for five years and this "loosening" of standards has resulted in one of the bottom 10 FBall programs in the nation along with a horrendous OL, below average DBs and DL, no backup QB, terrible WR depth and the longest loosing streak in D1. OR

2) The Model was in place and has resulted in one of the bottom 10 FBall programs in the nation along with a horrendous OL, below average DBs and DL, no backup QB, terrible WR depth and the longest loosing streak in D1.

So what's the point? Either we had no model in place with no results or we had the model in place with no results. My point, something is seriously wrong at the Wilson Center as either we have normal acceptance standards and can't be competitive or we have acceptance standards that are too high and cannot compete. Therefore, the original point from the other site is ludicrous and the reality is that whatever plan this admin is utilizing it clearly not working! However, I am sure the response will be what it has been for decades....."just be patient as the results will come soon".
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ExileWave wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:I think it's all revisionist history. If Tulane were to truly bury the Tulane Model, they (administrators) cannot do it quietly under the cover of darkness. Because our reputation has been so severely sullied over the past 14 years, resulting in us being a national laughingstock and monument to failure, should we actually abandon the Tulane Model, we need to do it in a very public way. We need to announce, proclaim, advertise, and market our renunciation of the Tulane Model so the world will know that we are on a new tract. Otherwise, coaches, ADs, and players will continue to assume that we are mired in the bog of the Tulane Model. The administration cannot abandon the Tulane Model quietly--they must admit the error of their ways, and tell the world that they have now seen the light--the world, and most Tulane fans, will believe nothing less.
+1
A New Orleans Jazz Funeral on the UC Quad would be appropriate.....but they will rely on JTS to proclaim their message.
A Jazz Funeral--what a fantastic idea. That would definitely get nationwide media coverage, add some humor to the situation, and best of all let the world know that a new Tulane has risen from the ashes.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:I really do not understand the point of this, there are two possibilities:

1) The Model has not been in place for five years and this "loosening" of standards has resulted in one of the bottom 10 FBall programs in the nation along with a horrendous OL, below average DBs and DL, no backup QB, terrible WR depth and the longest loosing streak in D1. OR

2) The Model was in place and has resulted in one of the bottom 10 FBall programs in the nation along with a horrendous OL, below average DBs and DL, no backup QB, terrible WR depth and the longest loosing streak in D1.

So what's the point? Either we had no model in place with no results or we had the model in place with no results. My point, something is seriously wrong at the Wilson Center as either we have normal acceptance standards and can't be competitive or we have acceptance standards that are too high and cannot compete. Therefore, the original point from the other site is ludicrous and the reality is that whatever plan this admin is utilizing it clearly not working! However, I am sure the response will be what it has been for decades....."just be patient as the results will come soon".
The dilemma that you describe is exactly why we need the Jazz Funeral, announcing the death of the Tulane Model. Without an announcement, we effectively still have the Tulane Model in place. Analogizing to the old "if a tree falls ..." , if Tulane ends the Tulane Model and there is no announcement, did it really end? The Tulane Model isn't just a disasterous reality at Tulane, it's also a vision of futility and failure in the minds of many throughout college athletics--and it's that vision that has to be changed, not just the model itself. We gone way too far in ingraining that vision of failure throughout the collegiate athletic world--and that will be the Tulane Model that is hardest to kill.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ExileWave wrote:
+1
If we can't have a Jazz Funeral for the Tulane Model, then we will probably need one for this team ("We're #124, we're #124,..."), or the program in general.
sader24
Tsunami

The thing is you cant drop the model from a Signing standpoint and then just bring the kids in here and feed them to the wolves. If you tell a coach he can recruit anyone and he brings in guys that flunk out and cant stay elgible 2 things happen:

1) The Coach stops wasting his time recruiting these guys
2) The administration can tell the fans "I told you so".

Unless there are athlete friendly majors and a real tutoring system aka an Athletic Academic Center in place to keep these guys elgible, simply allowing anyone in only demoralizes the coaching staff and gives the administration fuel for their retarded fire. You cant do one without the other. Here at Tulane "Home of the Geniuses" it usually takes our Administration several decades to figure out what it takes a football coach 12 hours.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:The thing is you cant drop the model from a Signing standpoint and then just bring the kids in here and feed them to the wolves. If you tell a coach he can recruit anyone and he brings in guys that flunk out and cant stay elgible 2 things happen:

1) The Coach stops wasting his time recruiting these guys
2) The administration can tell the fans "I told you so".

Unless there are athlete friendly majors and a real tutoring system aka an Athletic Academic Center in place to keep these guys elgible, simply allowing anyone in only demoralizes the coaching staff and gives the administration fuel for their retarded fire. You cant do one without the other. Here at Tulane "Home of the Geniuses" it usually takes our Administration several decades to figure out what it takes a football coach 12 hours.
As with a lot of things, there's usually more to the story than what someone (who is trying to sell you on their agenda, part of which is making sure that those donations keep on coming) is going to tell you.
T1B2TW
High Tide

Let's examine the possibilities. There are only two. Either true or false. If it's true, then TU has been doing the most godawful worst recruiting possible under the best of circumstances. If it is false, then maybe some lessening of the restrictions is possible and there is some hope.
sader24
Tsunami

I would say False, but I wouldnt doubt there was some relaxation. However, Cowen basically shut Scelfo down recruiting wise so even a slight relaxation from the end of Scelfo would've still been far more stringent than it was in 1999.
Jonathan
Riptide

Jts is an alleged asshole. Betook over this site from the alleged nut case and Quercia Wayne Pico for five dollars a month. JTS was allegedly unemployed for many years in Atlanta. He never comes down to Tulane home games. The few posters on his site like FW and G Sox kiss his ass. They are afraid to give. Their opinion or will be banned. JTS allegedly after many years secured a low paying job. He is the Zking of Ye Olde. What an alleged asshole.
BC Wave
Swell

Then one question -- how are those J.C. transfers doing for us?

Case closed
sader24
Tsunami

Very true.