Poor Curtis Johnson!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavedat
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
wavedat wrote:We understand the situation he came into. But 5 games in and we still have to burn timeouts to get plays in. Then we still get delay of game penalties, we can't get enough players on the field or we have too many. There is a lot more to coaching at this level than recruiting. They appear to be in total disarray . We haven't played world beaters but yet are reduced to hoping they can pull one win out against the very lowest tier of teams we are about to face. Don't have much patience for that.

You don't understand the situation the man came in to or what he is in.
I fully understand. You don't understand how bad he and his staff are and how much they are contributing to the weekly ass whippings being inflicted on us.

Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
OGSB
Swell

Graff asked him about this during the postgame show but I missed his answer. did anybody catch it?
Livin' rent free
sader24
Tsunami

I dont understand why we dont use the mat. Is there an easier to make sure everyone that needs to be there is? I think a big issue is that CJ is taking a long time to understand he's not coaching professionals anymore who need to do the right thing in order to feed their family. You have to be on these kids every second of the day. Generally speaking you dont have to worry about guys not playing with heart in the NFL b/c their paycheck depends on it, that is not the case in college.
AugWave
Swell

sader24 wrote:I dont understand why we dont use the mat. Is there an easier to make sure everyone that needs to be there is? I think a big issue is that CJ is taking a long time to understand he's not coaching professionals anymore who need to do the right thing in order to feed their family. You have to be on these kids every second of the day. Generally speaking you dont have to worry about guys not playing with heart in the NFL b/c their paycheck depends on it, that is not the case in college.
Gotta disagree fully with that. I've been in all types of locker rooms. High School, College, and Pro (arena and NFL). College players definitely play with more passion than the pros. Generally speaking, of course. 8-)
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
DrBox
Riptide

Tulane needs a hard-nosed disciplinarian coach because many of the players we get, even highly skilled ones, are not hard nosed football first athletes. It's been that way since forever. Soft coaches don't work.
Eaglewave
Swell

wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
wavedat wrote:We understand the situation he came into. But 5 games in and we still have to burn timeouts to get plays in. Then we still get delay of game penalties, we can't get enough players on the field or we have too many. There is a lot more to coaching at this level than recruiting. They appear to be in total disarray . We haven't played world beaters but yet are reduced to hoping they can pull one win out against the very lowest tier of teams we are about to face. Don't have much patience for that.

I fully understand. You don't understand how bad he and his staff are and how much they are contributing to the weekly ass whippings being inflicted on us.
:lol: Wavedat, you better be ready to eat crow once Johnson get his recruits here and starts winning. The team is in horrible shape right now. Saban couldn't have these guys better than 0-5 with all of the problems that are there. Give CJ a chance.
Ball Sumrall!
wavedat
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

:lol: Wavedat, you better be ready to eat crow once Johnson get his recruits here and starts winning. The team is in horrible shape right now. Saban couldn't have these guys better than 0-5 with all of the problems that are there. Give CJ a chance.
:lol: Saban would have us a lot better than 0-5. Get a grip. We all love CJ and want him to succeed but it's clear that that's not likely to happen. The total disarray on the sideline is glaring and that's after coaching for 25 years and being halfway thru the season. It's embarrassing and frustrating as hell. Our recruiting is going to take a hit too come signing day b/c of the total ineptness. Hope it turns out otherwise and would gladly eat crow. I'm sure you'll be nowhere to be found when things don't pan out.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We're at the point now that it is not even worth it to discuss job security for Tulane coaches as long as Dickson is AD. And get ready for another losing basketball season. Conroy is as impressive a recruiter as Toledo.
Eaglewave
Swell

wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

:lol: Saban would have us a lot better than 0-5. Get a grip. We all love CJ and want him to succeed but it's clear that that's not likely to happen. The total disarray on the sideline is glaring and that's after coaching for 25 years and being halfway thru the season. It's embarrassing and frustrating as hell. Our recruiting is going to take a hit too come signing day b/c of the total ineptness. Hope it turns out otherwise and would gladly eat crow. I'm sure you'll be nowhere to be found when things don't pan out.

:lol: Have you seen our offensive line? Saban or anyone would be 0-5 with this team that has played 5 bowl bound teams. You need to get a grip. This football team is in the worst shape of all FBS teams, inculding Eastern Michigan. Can you name one first year head coach in the history of college football that has had so many off and on field issues in their first season and still found a way to win?

How can you say "it's clear that CJ will not likely to succed" after the man has not even coached for more than one season?

CJ is a proven recruiter, he will bring in talent. I am going to make sure to add some Tony's Chachere's to your crow once the high recruting rankings and wins start to take over for the Wave. If CJ doesn't get the job done, ( and we won't know untill at least 2014), I will still be here supporting the Wave and praying that we find the right guy for the job.

Even though I really wasn't a fan of this hire, I don't feel as if CJ can't get the job done here. I really wanted to see Mike Haywood as the new head coach after knowing that Bowden and Rich Rod really didn't want the job. I really believe that Haywood knows what it takes to turn a program around after seeing what he did at Miami Ohio. However, Curtis Johnson is the new head coach at Tulane and he has my support. There are many high school coaches from New Orleans to the entire Gulf Coast Region who are behind him and want Tulane to become what it should have been after 1998. We need to give him a chance and respect the fact that he took the challenge.
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

As I see it, we have big talent shortfalls, but we're also poorly coached (except for special teams). We're disorganized on the sideline, the players are out of position, not enough players on the field, an offensive scheme that doesn't fit the talent, etc. CJ may figure it out - lots of coaches do. But he may not - lots of coaches don't. I think there are a lot of good coaches on this staff, but it may be a poor mix (a DC who's never coached a down of college defense, e.g.).
It's not fair to not give him 3 or 4 years.
But, unfortunately, because of a decade of neglect by others, he may have to be treated unfairly. We have to fix this program as fast as possible. We're beyond being fair. And, unfortunately, if we're unfair, which we may have to be, it's going to seem like we're 10x more unfair than we really are, because of the over-indulgence we gave to Toledo's non-performance (and Scelfo's and Teevens').
As for as recruiting goes, he's GOT to deliver there. The current commits are good overall, but not great. We simply cannot suffer any downgrade, even though, yes, a bad season is a good "Reason" for a mediocre recruiting class. But recruiting was his forte, that was a major reason for his hire, and we've not only got to keep this class, we need more 3 star players with BCS offers to join it. Unfair - perhaps, but, again, we're beyond worrying about being fair.
It's about getting this fixed.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:CJ is a proven recruiter, he will bring in talent.
Recruiting someone vs. actually signing them is totally different. Anyone can be recruited.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
TURVS71
Swell

Having worked in the corporate world for almost 40 years, it becomes apparent that there are many good employees but few of these good employees would make GREAT bosses. CJ may turn out to be a great recruiter but may be overwhelmed when it comes to organization and control of an entire program.

The sideline confusion, substitution and timeliness in getting the play in to the offense is troubling,,,,especially since CJ has had a spring camp, a fall camp and 6 weeks (including bye week) of the regular season.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
AugWave
Swell

Recruiting is different than signing? Did we forget that CJ brought in two legit SEC caliber players, in Batiste and Monroe?? People are actually implying that he can "recruit" but can't get the signature?! We're questioning his recruiting? uuhh *scratches head*
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
DrBox
Riptide

AugWave wrote:Recruiting is different than signing? Did we forget that CJ brought in two legit SEC caliber players, in Batiste and Monroe?? People are actually implying that he can "recruit" but can't get the signature?! We're questioning his recruiting? uuhh *scratches head*
But he didn't have a possibly 0-12 season on which to have to sign the players. But if he can keep recruiting SEC talent and signing, then, well, that's what we need.
He's going to have to make some staff decisions after this year. Can't have 10 men on defense. Tough, but they have to be made.
AugWave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
AugWave wrote:Recruiting is different than signing? Did we forget that CJ brought in two legit SEC caliber players, in Batiste and Monroe?? People are actually implying that he can "recruit" but can't get the signature?! We're questioning his recruiting? uuhh *scratches head*
But he didn't have a possibly 0-12 season on which to have to sign the players. But if he can keep recruiting SEC talent and signing, then, well, that's what we need.
He's going to have to make some staff decisions after this year. Can't have 10 men on defense. Tough, but they have to be made.
Majority of recruits I've talked to knew that we would have a bad year this year. Even more are interested. Delvin Batiste just said that he wants a Tulane offer. He's a 3* CB out of Cali (he's committed to San Diego St.). And it isn't like we had a good year last year. We lost double digit games. I hear what you're saying, but recruits aren't dumb. They know the deal. Trust.
DrBox
Riptide

AugWave wrote:
Majority of recruits I've talked to knew that we would have a bad year this year. Even more are interested. Delvin Batiste just said that he wants a Tulane offer. He's a 3* CB out of Cali (he's committed to San Diego St.).
I read that.
And I also read that we aren't recruiting him (per his words).
AugWave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
AugWave wrote:
Majority of recruits I've talked to knew that we would have a bad year this year. Even more are interested. Delvin Batiste just said that he wants a Tulane offer. He's a 3* CB out of Cali (he's committed to San Diego St.).
I read that.
And I also read that we aren't recruiting him (per his words).
I'm not on the staff so I know nothing.. He looks decent. I think we're focusing mainly on the lines right now. Our corner's are young and already have 2 on board for next year. I'll do some digging and hit up my sources.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Let me say that I saw some of the ULL game and was mortified at the sideline confusion. Not just mistakes but a flustered head coach yelling at a variety of coaches who weren't properly organized. CJ will get the opportunity to clean that up but if that's not straightened out and quickly then it is evident why he has not been promoted to date and he will not be a successful head coach.
wavedat
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

:lol: Have you seen our offensive line? Saban or anyone would be 0-5 with this team that has played 5 bowl bound teams. You need to get a grip. This football team is in the worst shape of all FBS teams, inculding Eastern Michigan. Can you name one first year head coach in the history of college football that has had so many off and on field issues in their first season and still found a way to win?

How can you say "it's clear that CJ will not likely to succed" after the man has not even coached for more than one season?

CJ is a proven recruiter, he will bring in talent. I am going to make sure to add some Tony's Chachere's to your crow once the high recruting rankings and wins start to take over for the Wave. If CJ doesn't get the job done, ( and we won't know untill at least 2014), I will still be here supporting the Wave and praying that we find the right guy for the job.

Even though I really wasn't a fan of this hire, I don't feel as if CJ can't get the job done here. I really wanted to see Mike Haywood as the new head coach after knowing that Bowden and Rich Rod really didn't want the job. I really believe that Haywood knows what it takes to turn a program around after seeing what he did at Miami Ohio. However, Curtis Johnson is the new head coach at Tulane and he has my support. There are many high school coaches from New Orleans to the entire Gulf Coast Region who are behind him and want Tulane to become what it should have been after 1998. We need to give him a chance and respect the fact that he took the challenge.
You must be Rick Dickson. So accepting of excuses. Our O-line would be much better if they had Saban coaching them. Our performance has been horrific. Even Ray Charles can see how poorly coached we are. I hope he can hold up his end on the recruiting trail but players and their coaches see what most here see and they'll end up backing off.
DrBox
Riptide

AugWave wrote:
I I think we're focusing mainly on the lines right now.
Good idea.
Maybe a WR and RB too.
I think we've covered people pretty well, when in the right position and defense.
OGSB
Swell

DrBox wrote:
AugWave wrote:
I I think we're focusing mainly on the lines right now.
Good idea.
Maybe a WR and RB too.
I think we've covered people pretty well, when in the right position and defense.
Sometimes we're in position and simply flub the tackle. doesn't seem to be the new guys though, but Toledo players.

Man wouldn't it be great to have the problem of talented kids wanting a Tulane offer but we have no space for them.
Livin' rent free
TU23
High Tide

I didn't know quite where to put this, but I think it fits this thread best. Mike Leach talking about how some of the Seniors he inherited are "empty corpses." I imagine there is more than a little of this going on at TU as well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... es-zombies
OGSB
Swell

TU23 wrote:I didn't know quite where to put this, but I think it fits this thread best. Mike Leach talking about how some of the Seniors he inherited are "empty corpses." I imagine there is more than a little of this going on at TU as well.

Throwing them under the bus!
Livin' rent free
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

OGSB wrote:
TU23 wrote:I didn't know quite where to put this, but I think it fits this thread best. Mike Leach talking about how some of the Seniors he inherited are "empty corpses." I imagine there is more than a little of this going on at TU as well.

Throwing them under the bus!
well it was either that or into the equipment shed
Tulane Class of 2004
DrBox
Riptide

I think we would be 0-5 with any other coach. But with ECU, Rice, UTEP, Memphis and UAB on tap, good coaching and discipline could garner another 4 wins. We'll say.