Redshirt program needed

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

Dbs and Wrs all look too thin and will take punishment all year. It will be a miracle to keep them healthy. Once again as I have been saying for years, we have to get a meaningful redshirt program in place. We use all of these talented freshmen year after year before they are physically ready and then they become beat up and discouraged in later years. Ask yourself one question, "Will these guys help the Tulane program more as 5th year seniors or true freshmen?" Don't give me the "need them to help immediately due to lack of talent" argument. So we win 3 rather than two and get the best younfg talent beat up year after year. I espouse a serious redshirt program and have for years.

DrBox
Riptide

If we told Batiste and Monroe that we would redshirt them they wouldn't sign with us.
No reason to redshirt skill players who can start or play a lot.
OL - maybe, but not if they can start and if we're winning games with them.
Ray
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:Dbs and Wrs all look too thin and will take punishment all year. It will be a miracle to keep them healthy. Once again as I have been saying for years, we have to get a meaningful redshirt program in place. We use all of these talented freshmen year after year before they are physically ready and then they become beat up and discouraged in later years. Ask yourself one question, "Will these guys help the Tulane program more as 5th year seniors or true freshmen?" Don't give me the "need them to help immediately due to lack of talent" argument. So we win 3 rather than two and get the best younfg talent beat up year after year. I espouse a serious redshirt program and have for years.
'Selective' redshirting not a full-fledged redshirting program. Why?? .... We need ballplayers/talent NOW. We may currently have one of the thinnest rosters in all of Div 1 football.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I believe in always playing your best players, besides we don't have enough depth to redshirt. Either you're good enough to play or you're not.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:Dbs and Wrs all look too thin and will take punishment all year. It will be a miracle to keep them healthy. Once again as I have been saying for years, we have to get a meaningful redshirt program in place. We use all of these talented freshmen year after year before they are physically ready and then they become beat up and discouraged in later years. Ask yourself one question, "Will these guys help the Tulane program more as 5th year seniors or true freshmen?" Don't give me the "need them to help immediately due to lack of talent" argument. So we win 3 rather than two and get the best younfg talent beat up year after year. I espouse a serious redshirt program and have for years.
Really bad idea,IMO. These guys are good enough and deserve to play and if they werent playing who would replace them? In some cases more freshman who are obviously less ready to play than the guys who are starting. Also not really sure why you're so certain they will get hurt. The two veterans in the defensive backfield (Shak and Travis) have played in every game since their freshman season without missing a game due to injury(knock on wood).
AugWave
Swell

No such thing as redshirt programs anymore. They play the best players, and players that can afford to not play are redshirted.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Wave QB
Swell

Nobody here agreed with me when I said that Devin Powell needed to be redshirted. I would like to see this kid start at QB for 4 years.
wave runner
High Tide

Seniors in high school want to play early and they want to see if coaches really do play freshman. I think CJ knows that is important to get legit talent here. It is one of our selling points. We played 11 freshman last night. I think this is critical to our success in the near future. Hell, that was one of the main reasons Monroe came here so he could play early as a freshman. Hopefully other big time recruits take notice of our freshman's playing time, and decide that Tulane gives them a good opportunity to play early and often.
With all that said, best players should play.... but I think our freshman are some of our best players.
GreenMenace
Low Tide

You have to redshirt them unless they can hit left-handed, right Jax? :lol:
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

We are in no position to automatically red shirt players. You play the best player available at that position.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JDTulane
Riptide

Redshirting is only useful when you have an ounce of depth.
sader24
Tsunami

I think when it's all said and done CJ will redshirt those that arent quite ready to contribute and play those that are. He's playing up the playing true freshman angle for guys like Darion Monroe who would've sat for 2 or 3 years before he played at Texas AM. That's the only thing he can currently offer a Monroe or a Baptiste right now that SEC schools can't. It's just smart business. If a true freshman can help out immediately there is no reason for him to redshirt.
AugWave
Swell

sader24 wrote:I think when it's all said and done CJ will redshirt those that arent quite ready to contribute and play those that are. He's playing up the playing true freshman angle for guys like Darion Monroe who would've sat for 2 or 3 years before he played at Texas AM. That's the only thing he can currently offer a Monroe or a Baptiste right now that SEC schools can't. It's just smart business. If a true freshman can help out immediately there is no reason for him to redshirt.
Pretty much. And once we CAN'T get those freshmen on the field (due to our wonderful talent that we'll have in 3 years) then we can sell that we still have open competition AND we are winning. Top that SEC!! 8-)
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:Nobody here agreed with me when I said that Devin Powell needed to be redshirted. I would like to see this kid start at QB for 4 years.

Powell will be the starter next season and that will make him a 3 year starting QB. I have no problem with CJ letting play this season. I think CJ is going to try to let him get in the game when the Wave starts going up big on other teams. However, the offensive line is going to have to play much better.
Ball Sumrall!