Rutgers 24 TU 12

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

wave runner wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Insulting the students on this board? Shocker. I think its remarkable we get any with one of the worst fbs teams on the planet. But some of you just love to make your digs.

That said, game was disappointing from a penalty and coaching standpoint but game 2 is where the real opinions can start.
JD, we are calling them as we see them man. Look I know we are at the bottom now as a program but 10-3 game at halftime (against probably top 3 biggest opponent we play this season) and MOST are gone.... that's pathetic. Don't want to offend those students that do support such as you, but let's be real.... If it was 10-3 Tulane at half... I still would have a hard time believing it would be any different.

I'm no longer a student so nothing insulted me. If Tulane had a winning product and something to cheer for on a regular basis I bet 89% would stay the entire game. A history of defunct play leads to a history of defunct fan. But at least there were as many fans there as it was. Maybe if we would get out of this shitty conference and started playing real teams things would be different. I went to the UT Wyoming game and just stared at the conference flags longing for ours to be one of them. :]

DrBox
Riptide

Nothing wrong with you post Aug. and you certainly don't need condescending lectures about it.
Bitching about the coaching is ridiculous, as is calling last night the same-old-thing.
Special teams weren't terrible. Yea he kicked one out of bounds (hardly a calamity; a net loss of 10 yards v. kicking into the endzone), one of the best KR in the country broke one (to the 45), he kicked the rest into the end zone as TBs, I don't think they gained an inch on punt returns. Still work to do.
Take your pick - size or speed. I'll take speed. Few players have both in this league.
Tulane72
Ripple

Like many people in this post I'm not all that upset about the coachng and most of the play in this game. Of course I hate to lose. I hated to lose with a passion when I played. It took me 2 days to get unpissed. But I saw real effort and I felt better about this lost then I felt about many of the first game wins during the Scelfo and Toledo tenure against inferior opponents. C.J. is going to win and not going to sit on his ass expecting talent to fall out of sky. He is going to work with the talent he has and make them better. I played offensive line and it takes a few games to get use to playing college ball but they will learn the little things that allow you to get a successful block. It's not always about blowing people off the line but rather positioning you body making it impossible for the defender for make the tackle. We had a player on the team we called the Frog because he didn't have an ass but he was an expert at positioning his body. The offense line will be better next week because they will have pride. Believe me they know they're getting the bulk of the blame for the lost so they will be coming after people. Now I will list my problems and it has nothing to do with the game. One problem I have is once again with the news media. I looked at the Final Play on Benson's Channel 8 and they talked about the Saint and they talked about LSU and not one word about Tulane who plays in the Dome that Benson, at least, makes some revenue on. On Channel 6 they got mentioned but only a little. I don't expect praise in a lost but some constructive coverage is the least I would expect. My second problem and maybe AugWave can tell me what he thinks. This was the debut of an African American coach and a staff loaded with African American coaches yet I only saw a handful of African Americans at the game. I honestly think only the players families were there. I don't understand this. I felt the same way when Shan King went 12-0 and I only saw a handful of African Amercians at the games. I realize that winning is a big factor but Shan was winning and displayed true courage when he played with a broken arm most of the season. I really admire that young man at the time. I believe AugWave is your tag name because you went to St Augustine. Well did you know that when Tulane was still in the SEC about 1965 that they tried to recruit two players from St Augustine that the white principle/priest told them that they should go to Michigan State instead. I was told this by one of the people recruited. The irony of this is that that same priest was the one that fought the head of the Louisiana High School Football Association to allow St Augustine to play in the Catholic League. Anyway if Tulane would have signed them they would have been the first team in the SEC to sign African Americans. Kentucky ended up being the first in 1967. Tulane did end up signing Harould Slyvester in basketball around that time. I don't have the answer but maybe AugWave could tell me why African Americans don't come to Tulane games. Look I not getting on them I would just like know why and what can be don't to change this negative attitude towards Tulane that they seem to have. I'm interest in correcting the problem not creating a new one.
TURVS71
Swell

Like everyone else, I want to see us perform to the best of our ability. If we do this and come up short, then so be it. I saw the same old mistakes that we have seen the past several years, that's all. I don't dislike CJ, just want to eliminate the stupid things we seem to do. Lack of talent is one thing, shooting yourself in the foot is another.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Jaxwave
Swell

Additional thoughts by this "expert":

1. I like the enthusiasm and attutude of this coach. I may not believe he can turn this into something and the obstacles are ceretainly there including his own administration, but you can see he believes. That is commendable and really has me pulling for him.

2. The only coaching decisions I question from Sat night were not being in hurry up offense down 24-6 with less than half of the 4th quarter remaining and not kicking on sides down 2 scores with less than 5 minutes left. Larry Smith won me over in his first year when he went for a 4th down on his own 25(approx) yd line with 3 minutes to play in a 0-0 game (no overtime then )with Rutgers. They failed and Rutgers kicked a FG to win 3-0, but Smith played to win. To him a tie was as bad as a loss. Against Rutgers Tulane still had an outside chance to win with 5 minutes to go, an on side kick would have sent the message to team that we play to win until final whistle.

3. When I was a freshman at Tulane I didn't go to the games and by my junior year wouldn't have missed one for the world. If I had I wouldn't have been there on Dec, 1, 1973 for the greatest sports night in my life and in Tulane history. Before we start blaming students ask yourself one question, if you grew up in NO and went to school at Temple when they were so bad would you have had any interest in attending their games while you were there? They have no interest when they show up. Only winning will pique their interest.

4. I like where CJ is trying to take us, but I have no faith that Tulane will open up enough to let him do so. We need lots of football players to compete, which requires lowering present entrance standards, and an extensive and more costly tutoring program combined with athlete friendly curriculum to keep athletes eligible. I hope I'm dead wrong on this but I will be surprised to see the number of early recruits stay with their committment and I worry about Tulane sufficiently supporting them academically in order to keep them eligible. This lack of support is the reason why coaches arrive with enthusiasm but get beat down into submission and a lack of energy by year 3.
greenphantom
Swell

I wish people would stop making excuses for the students. Where else would you see 90% of the student section leave at halftime of a 10-3 game in a season opener? That is pathetic and shows a serious lack of leadership within the student body. Where did they all go if most came to the game by bus? Did they just sit inside the buses during the 2nd half playing on their iphones? They deserve to be called out. Nuff said.
Bigschtick
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:I wish people would stop making excuses for the students. Where else would you see 90% of the student section leave at halftime of a 10-3 game in a season opener? That is pathetic and shows a serious lack of leadership within the student body. Where did they all go if most came to the game by bus? Did they just sit inside the buses during the 2nd half playing on their iphones? They deserve to be called out. Nuff said.

plus 100 If we cannot get the students to get behind the program, we are sunk. Cowen
looks at this and figures the students do not care so why not just go small time. If we could
not get them to stay for the opening game against a Big East program and support a new regime, whats going to happen
when we start playing Old Dominion! There were many disappointments about this first game, also some things to be positive
about but for me, this was a major annoyance.

And I share the concerns raised above by Jaxwave in paragraph number 4 in particular.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
AugWave
Swell

Tulane72 wrote:Like many people in this post I'm not all that upset about the coachng and most of the play in this game. Of course I hate to lose. I hated to lose with a passion when I played. It took me 2 days to get unpissed. But I saw real effort and I felt better about this lost then I felt about many of the first game wins during the Scelfo and Toledo tenure against inferior opponents. C.J. is going to win and not going to sit on his ass expecting talent to fall out of sky. He is going to work with the talent he has and make them better. I played offensive line and it takes a few games to get use to playing college ball but they will learn the little things that allow you to get a successful block. It's not always about blowing people off the line but rather positioning you body making it impossible for the defender for make the tackle. We had a player on the team we called the Frog because he didn't have an ass but he was an expert at positioning his body. The offense line will be better next week because they will have pride. Believe me they know they're getting the bulk of the blame for the lost so they will be coming after people. Now I will list my problems and it has nothing to do with the game. One problem I have is once again with the news media. I looked at the Final Play on Benson's Channel 8 and they talked about the Saint and they talked about LSU and not one word about Tulane who plays in the Dome that Benson, at least, makes some revenue on. On Channel 6 they got mentioned but only a little. I don't expect praise in a lost but some constructive coverage is the least I would expect. My second problem and maybe AugWave can tell me what he thinks. This was the debut of an African American coach and a staff loaded with African American coaches yet I only saw a handful of African Americans at the game. I honestly think only the players families were there. I don't understand this. I felt the same way when Shan King went 12-0 and I only saw a handful of African Amercians at the games. I realize that winning is a big factor but Shan was winning and displayed true courage when he played with a broken arm most of the season. I really admire that young man at the time. I believe AugWave is your tag name because you went to St Augustine. Well did you know that when Tulane was still in the SEC about 1965 that they tried to recruit two players from St Augustine that the white principle/priest told them that they should go to Michigan State instead. I was told this by one of the people recruited. The irony of this is that that same priest was the one that fought the head of the Louisiana High School Football Association to allow St Augustine to play in the Catholic League. Anyway if Tulane would have signed them they would have been the first team in the SEC to sign African Americans. Kentucky ended up being the first in 1967. Tulane did end up signing Harould Slyvester in basketball around that time. I don't have the answer but maybe AugWave could tell me why African Americans don't come to Tulane games. Look I not getting on them I would just like know why and what can be don't to change this negative attitude towards Tulane that they seem to have. I'm interest in correcting the problem not creating a new one.
Welp, here's the truth. I was born into a Tulane family, as well as St. Augustine. St Aug is rooted in the African American community. During my years at St. Aug, there weren't many coaches coming to our school to recruit players, even though we were STACKED during my 4 years there (01-05). They had players that wished Tulane would have recruited them but many of them lived in the hood and coaches backed off from them.

The reason why many don't go to Tulane games is because they feel that Tulane doesn't care about them. Quotes I've heard: "I don't care about Tulane because they don't care about us" ... "What has Tulane done for us? They only care about white folks"... "They don't have any ballers from the inner city on their team" ... They never recruited their kids, they only got students from the Northeast and there is barely any advertisement in those lower income neighborhoods. LSU can easily get their attention due to the marketing and word of mouth. It's getting better now that CJ is there, but now we have to win in order to draw many more in. The hurricane really put a damper on the attendance. Many people weren't worried about a football game, especially with the frustration of not having any power in their homes.

Why doesn't Tulane reach out to students in the area that are academically capable of handling Tulane? I've heard that many students don't get approached like Tulane does with students from other parts of the country. It's a big problem. There are definitely more blacks on campus that when I started at Tulane (08 after I transferred from LSU, after a semester at UNO) but they need more of a presence in the community. Start throwing more events on campus and advertise them to the community, not just students. If Tulane is all about community service, why not include the community into some events? That's what other schools do. I honestly think that Cowen just doesn't care. It's not like he's from New Orleans or the surrounding area.

Also, in a touchy subject, there are a few students who wear those Jewlane shirts. I, for one, hate them. Not that I hate Jews or anything (I could careless what religion, color, etc. you are) but when I see those shirts, I cringe. When you see one shirt like that, it feels as though you are an outsider on your own campus. Black students see that, and tell people about it. When others hear about it, they avoid it. That leads to potential students not wanting to go there. Sort of the main reason I left LSU was due to the purple and gold confederate flag crap that was going on on campus. I couldn't deal with that anymore (and I wanted to get to Tulane anyway :mrgreen: ). I told my friends about that and they decided to not apply or go to LSU. They all went to Texas, Duke, ULM and LaTech.. Bottom line is, Tulane needs to either ban everybody from wearing that religious stuff, or not allow the "Jewlane" shirts on campus. Sh*t, there was even a star spray-painted along Willow Street on the sidewalk. My girlfriend was like, "OMG is that the Jewish star symbol thing?" ... It's not out of control, but little things like that can lead to negative reactions.

Those are just some of the reasons why the African American community isn't hard on Tulane right now. With our new coach and finally recruiting local players however, it will definitely get better. Trust me, it is.. The word is getting out, slowly but surely. S**t, at work the other day, I saw two older black ladies with Tulane shirts on. I asked if they were going to the game and they said "Of course, gotta support CJ and the local kids"..

*shrug*

If I have typos, I have typos.. I was rushing. :lol: Peace
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Eaglewave
Swell

AugWave wrote:
Tulane72 wrote:Like many people in this post I'm not all that upset about the coachng and most of the play in this game. Of course I hate to lose. I hated to lose with a passion when I played. It took me 2 days to get unpissed. But I saw real effort and I felt better about this lost then I felt about many of the first game wins during the Scelfo and Toledo tenure against inferior opponents. C.J. is going to win and not going to sit on his ass expecting talent to fall out of sky. He is going to work with the talent he has and make them better. I played offensive line and it takes a few games to get use to playing college ball but they will learn the little things that allow you to get a successful block. It's not always about blowing people off the line but rather positioning you body making it impossible for the defender for make the tackle. We had a player on the team we called the Frog because he didn't have an ass but he was an expert at positioning his body. The offense line will be better next week because they will have pride. Believe me they know they're getting the bulk of the blame for the lost so they will be coming after people. Now I will list my problems and it has nothing to do with the game. One problem I have is once again with the news media. I looked at the Final Play on Benson's Channel 8 and they talked about the Saint and they talked about LSU and not one word about Tulane who plays in the Dome that Benson, at least, makes some revenue on. On Channel 6 they got mentioned but only a little. I don't expect praise in a lost but some constructive coverage is the least I would expect. My second problem and maybe AugWave can tell me what he thinks. This was the debut of an African American coach and a staff loaded with African American coaches yet I only saw a handful of African Americans at the game. I honestly think only the players families were there. I don't understand this. I felt the same way when Shan King went 12-0 and I only saw a handful of African Amercians at the games. I realize that winning is a big factor but Shan was winning and displayed true courage when he played with a broken arm most of the season. I really admire that young man at the time. I believe AugWave is your tag name because you went to St Augustine. Well did you know that when Tulane was still in the SEC about 1965 that they tried to recruit two players from St Augustine that the white principle/priest told them that they should go to Michigan State instead. I was told this by one of the people recruited. The irony of this is that that same priest was the one that fought the head of the Louisiana High School Football Association to allow St Augustine to play in the Catholic League. Anyway if Tulane would have signed them they would have been the first team in the SEC to sign African Americans. Kentucky ended up being the first in 1967. Tulane did end up signing Harould Slyvester in basketball around that time. I don't have the answer but maybe AugWave could tell me why African Americans don't come to Tulane games. Look I not getting on them I would just like know why and what can be don't to change this negative attitude towards Tulane that they seem to have. I'm interest in correcting the problem not creating a new one.
Welp, here's the truth. I was born into a Tulane family, as well as St. Augustine. St Aug is rooted in the African American community. During my years at St. Aug, there weren't many coaches coming to our school to recruit players, even though we were STACKED during my 4 years there (01-05). They had players that wished Tulane would have recruited them but many of them lived in the hood and coaches backed off from them.

The reason why many don't go to Tulane games is because they feel that Tulane doesn't care about them. Quotes I've heard: "I don't care about Tulane because they don't care about us" ... "What has Tulane done for us? They only care about white folks"... "They don't have any ballers from the inner city on their team" ... They never recruited their kids, they only got students from the Northeast and there is barely any advertisement in those lower income neighborhoods. LSU can easily get their attention due to the marketing and word of mouth. It's getting better now that CJ is there, but now we have to win in order to draw many more in. The hurricane really put a damper on the attendance. Many people weren't worried about a football game, especially with the frustration of not having any power in their homes.

Why doesn't Tulane reach out to students in the area that are academically capable of handling Tulane? I've heard that many students don't get approached like Tulane does with students from other parts of the country. It's a big problem. There are definitely more blacks on campus that when I started at Tulane (08 after I transferred from LSU, after a semester at UNO) but they need more of a presence in the community. Start throwing more events on campus and advertise them to the community, not just students. If Tulane is all about community service, why not include the community into some events? That's what other schools do. I honestly think that Cowen just doesn't care. It's not like he's from New Orleans or the surrounding area.

Also, in a touchy subject, there are a few students who wear those Jewlane shirts. I, for one, hate them. Not that I hate Jews or anything (I could careless what religion, color, etc. you are) but when I see those shirts, I cringe. When you see one shirt like that, it feels as though you are an outsider on your own campus. Black students see that, and tell people about it. When others hear about it, they avoid it. That leads to potential students not wanting to go there. Sort of the main reason I left LSU was due to the purple and gold confederate flag crap that was going on on campus. I couldn't deal with that anymore (and I wanted to get to Tulane anyway :mrgreen: ). I told my friends about that and they decided to not apply or go to LSU. They all went to Texas, Duke, ULM and LaTech.. Bottom line is, Tulane needs to either ban everybody from wearing that religious stuff, or not allow the "Jewlane" shirts on campus. Sh*t, there was even a star spray-painted along Willow Street on the sidewalk. My girlfriend was like, "OMG is that the Jewish star symbol thing?" ... It's not out of control, but little things like that can lead to negative reactions.

Those are just some of the reasons why the African American community isn't hard on Tulane right now. With our new coach and finally recruiting local players however, it will definitely get better. Trust me, it is.. The word is getting out, slowly but surely. S**t, at work the other day, I saw two older black ladies with Tulane shirts on. I asked if they were going to the game and they said "Of course, gotta support CJ and the local kids"..

*shrug*

If I have typos, I have typos.. I was rushing. :lol: Peace
Good points. We will see an improvement very soon because CJ is getting talented kids from our local schools.
Ball Sumrall!
Tulane72
Ripple

AugWave this is a beginning to finding out why African Americans don't come to Tulane games. But I played with several African Americans from St Augustine and I've only seen one that came once in the last 40 years. In fairness I haven't seen many players black or white in the 40 years since I played. Tulane didn't give a crap about them either. Now while I'm not Jewish I have to correct you on the "Jewlane" crap. I worked for 29 years with lots of LSU fans who never failed to call Tulane "Jewlane" as a put down to Tulane. Not only was this offensive to me but think of how it offended the Jewish people ( which is a race as well as a religion) were when they were using them as a put down for Tulane. It would be like someone using the N word and adding lane to the end as a put down for Tulane. This is not Jewish people bragging about their religion it is about telling those racist LSU fans to go fuck themselves when they say "JewLane" because they are proud of who there are and where they go to school. So you're mistaken about them and I'm talking as someone who doesn't even has a Jewish friend. Do you know when I was driving in Baton Rouge in 1997 I heard a LSU sports talk program and an old guy calling in suggested to the annoucers that the reason Tulane beat LSU in 1973 is because the Jews paid the LSU football players off. I got recruited by LSU and you don't know how many times I was told by the regular people that they hoped they don't recruit those "N" guys. So many LSU fans were not pro African American when I got recruit. So maybe African Americans have a misconception about Tulane and LSU. On the Facebook 70's football team I had to correct a fellow player, who is African American, about chastizing one of our former manager about leaving out the accomplishments of the African American. This manager was talking about some former teammates that were exceptional athelics.They were all white however what my African American teammate didn't realize is that everyone that this manager talked about was dead. This included Rusty Chambers who had his head cut off when his car flipped and hit a culvert. David Griener who shot himself in the head. Alan Baker who walked in the doctors office with a cough and died the next day. Eric Laskco who did recently. Brian Alexander who also died recently. So my teammate was over sensitive about race. When I played football I didn't damn about race. And I was in little league when intergration started in 1964. We didn't a problem with the African American team it was different but there wasn't trouble. We only had problems with St Rock playground (who were all white) after we beat them we had to fight them. Race doesn't play any part in football. So maybe African American need to get over that part. I agreed that Tulane didn't reach out to African Amerian but they didn't reach out to any New Orleanian black or white. But that wasn't true in the case of the football team. Coaches like Chris Scelfo didn't recruit anybody in the New Orleans area. He was an idoit. When I played they recruited in the New Orleans area and they had success. It's time to clear up all misconceptions about Tulane. The Board at Tulane was the biggest enemy of not only Tulane football but in many ways the success of New Orleans. African American need to get on the Board and the president's ass about the things you talked about. The football team and its former players have taken the hit for too long.
AugWave
Swell

Tulane72 wrote:AugWave this is a beginning to finding out why African Americans don't come to Tulane games. But I played with several African Americans from St Augustine and I've only seen one that came once in the last 40 years. In fairness I haven't seen many players black or white in the 40 years since I played. Tulane didn't give a crap about them either. Now while I'm not Jewish I have to correct you on the "Jewlane" crap. I worked for 29 years with lots of LSU fans who never failed to call Tulane "Jewlane" as a put down to Tulane. Not only was this offensive to me but think of how it offended the Jewish people ( which is a race as well as a religion) were when they were using them as a put down for Tulane. It would be like someone using the N word and adding lane to the end as a put down for Tulane. This is not Jewish people bragging about their religion it is about telling those racist LSU fans to go f**k themselves when they say "JewLane" because they are proud of who there are and where they go to school. So you're mistaken about them and I'm talking as someone who doesn't even has a Jewish friend. Do you know when I was driving in Baton Rouge in 1997 I heard a LSU sports talk program and an old guy calling in suggested to the annoucers that the reason Tulane beat LSU in 1973 is because the Jews paid the LSU football players off. I got recruited by LSU and you don't know how many times I was told by the regular people that they hoped they don't recruit those "N" guys. So many LSU fans were not pro African American when I got recruit. So maybe African Americans have a misconception about Tulane and LSU. On the Facebook 70's football team I had to correct a fellow player, who is African American, about chastizing one of our former manager about leaving out the accomplishments of the African American. This manager was talking about some former teammates that were exceptional athelics.They were all white however what my African American teammate didn't realize is that everyone that this manager talked about was dead. This included Rusty Chambers who had his head cut off when his car flipped and hit a culvert. David Griener who shot himself in the head. Alan Baker who walked in the doctors office with a cough and died the next day. Eric Laskco who did recently. Brian Alexander who also died recently. So my teammate was over sensitive about race. When I played football I didn't damn about race. And I was in little league when intergration started in 1964. We didn't a problem with the African American team it was different but there wasn't trouble. We only had problems with St Rock playground (who were all white) after we beat them we had to fight them. Race doesn't play any part in football. So maybe African American need to get over that part. I agreed that Tulane didn't reach out to African Amerian but they didn't reach out to any New Orleanian black or white. But that wasn't true in the case of the football team. Coaches like Chris Scelfo didn't recruit anybody in the New Orleans area. He was an idoit. When I played they recruited in the New Orleans area and they had success. It's time to clear up all misconceptions about Tulane. The Board at Tulane was the biggest enemy of not only Tulane football but in many ways the success of New Orleans. African American need to get on the Board and the president's ass about the things you talked about. The football team and its former players have taken the hit for too long.
Wow. That's real. I think you misunderstood me when talking about the Jewlane stuff though. I didn't say that those students were wrong. I was basically stating that that makes a particular type of student uncomfortable. When I see that, I don't want people thinking that only Jews attend Tulane, because that's false. It's ok to be proud of your religion, but don't deface the name of my university in the process. That's all I'm saying. I want to see Tulane shirts. Would it be cool if those students wore Jewlane shirts to games?? What if we have a nationally televised game 3 years from now (when we're BEASTING on the field :mrgreen: ) and you see a slew of students with those shirts on? That's gonna hinder people's thought about the university. Maybe not potential Jewish students, but students of other religions.

But all of the other points are dead on. My people need to get over the past. It's 2012. Sports is one of few things where nobody cares what race you are. WINNING is all that matters. Pride for your university overcomes all.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Eaglewave
Swell

Tulane72 wrote:Race doesn't play any part in football. So maybe African American need to get over that part.

Black americans can't get over that part because it is not true in all cases. I have seen plenty of times that race has played a factor in football. I won't go into details because this thread is not about that.

You are right about many of your points. The Tulane rep about blacks really needs to be cleared up because many of these young kids have been brain washed by LSU fans and alums who want ever single black family in Louisiana to send their talented high school star to LSU.

I visit local high schools and attend sporting events all of the time. I have never heard this many teachers and students talk about players they know who are going to Tulane or considering playing football for Curtis Johnson. I am talking about teachers, students from predominantly black schools, and predominatly white schools. I really think that things will get better very soon as far as the community getting behind the Green Wave. I know everyone wants to see a great season among the fans and the team this season, but I think 2013 will be the start of something great for the Wave, " true " Tulane fans and New Orleans.
Ball Sumrall!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:
wave runner wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Insulting the students on this board? Shocker. I think its remarkable we get any with one of the worst fbs teams on the planet. But some of you just love to make your digs.

That said, game was disappointing from a penalty and coaching standpoint but game 2 is where the real opinions can start.
JD, we are calling them as we see them man. Look I know we are at the bottom now as a program but 10-3 game at halftime (against probably top 3 biggest opponent we play this season) and MOST are gone.... that's pathetic. Don't want to offend those students that do support such as you, but let's be real.... If it was 10-3 Tulane at half... I still would have a hard time believing it would be any different.

I'm no longer a student so nothing insulted me. If Tulane had a winning product and something to cheer for on a regular basis I bet 89% would stay the entire game. A history of defunct play leads to a history of defunct fan. But at least there were as many fans there as it was. Maybe if we would get out of this shitty conference and started playing real teams things would be different. I went to the UT Wyoming game and just stared at the conference flags longing for ours to be one of them. :]
Very true.

Have a winning product, be playing in a conference that people have some regard for at the same time and then see what happens.

Don't blame the students, don't blame anyone for not wasting their time with a product that's been how it's been.

That's ridiculous.

Doing so is being just like that group of people who operate that other forum who are constantly out to tell people that they aren't being loyal enough, that Tulane's problem is a "fan problem" more than anything else and act like all the people somehow bear a burden to prove their loyalty as opposed to the school bearing a burden to prove that for once they're serious about competing in football and offering an exciting, worthwhile, winning product and earning the loyalty of fans. To the contrary, the truth is that students, alumni and non-alumni supporters all alike do not bear any burden to prove anything and should never be made to feel as if there is some obligation to keep on supporting a product that they do not find particularly entertaining.

Of course, the problem is getting invited to be a member of the better conference when you don't have the solid regular following.

Vicious cycle indeed.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
sader24
Tsunami

The students left en masse when it was 10-3 and 10-6. There is no excuse for that. As for the Jewlane stuff, most Catholic League kids and New Orleans area kids feel that Tulane is essentially a Jewish University. Like it or not perception is reality. When you see Tulane students actually wearing "Jewlane" shirts it only reinforces the stereotype. Whether it seems bigoted or not, if you dont think the perception that Tulane is a Jewish University hurts Tulane among New Orleanians you are kidding yourself.
JDTulane
Riptide

sader24 wrote:The students left en masse when it was 10-3 and 10-6. There is no excuse for that. As for the Jewlane stuff, most Catholic League kids and New Orleans area kids feel that Tulane is essentially a Jewish University. Like it or not perception is reality. When you see Tulane students actually wearing "Jewlane" shirts it only reinforces the stereotype. Whether it seems bigoted or not, if you dont think the perception that Tulane is a Jewish University hurts Tulane among New Orleanians you are kidding yourself.
Plenty of excuses:

1. boring Superdome environment
2. low scoring game
3. New Orleans nightlife
4. Proximity to FQ
5. Storm clean up to take care of
6. Likelihood of Tulane losing high
7. OKAY opponent
8. Boring conference affiliation
9. History

And lets call it 3-10 or 6-10 not 10-6. 8-)

BTW: You would never have caught me leaving at halftime with such a score.
sader24
Tsunami

This isnt Tennis, big score 1st.
JDTulane
Riptide

sader24 wrote:This isnt Tennis, big score 1st.

Duh. I was just pointing out that we were losing.
Tulane72
Ripple

Don't get me wrong I think the Jewlane tie shirts are stupid and it does enforce this sterotype All I'm telling everyone is where this crap came from. As far as I'm concern they need to get over this also and move on. It serves no purpose. The real problem is and was the administration and their failure to embrace the community and think like someone with a brain in their head. Right now we need to support this coach. And support means throwing aside our previous reason for giving up on Tulane and help him to win. This also means we need to keep pressure on the administration. This coach is going to win and we as former players and fans are going to help them do it. Pressure on the administration and education of the Tulane faithful and the New Orleans community will help us do this. My only care is for the success of Tulane and New Orleans.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We all know the cowardly asshole reads this site. His fellow asshole asskissers are so stupid they couldn't figure this out.

"Tulane students show up in numbers and they are critiqued? Welcome to Old F@rts R Us. (My how we forget our college years). Two and a half sections of FRESHMEN were there 30 minutes before the game. Students occupied almost five sections (including the band) most of the game. They cheered, stood during important plays and went wild, cut up, went after the refs and added emotion and electricity to a fairly comatose crowd. The rest of the crowd should take lessons.

D@mn good job to ALL the students, the Band, Cheerleaders, Shockwave and Krewe of Green Wave. Continue to show up and be STUDENTS.

And please stay off the lawns of certain posters...

Tulane students suck that includes your kid jts. Fuck you and yours.

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
AugWave
Swell

Tulane72 wrote:Don't get me wrong I think the Jewlane tie shirts are stupid and it does enforce this sterotype All I'm telling everyone is where this crap came from. As far as I'm concern they need to get over this also and move on. It serves no purpose. The real problem is and was the administration and their failure to embrace the community and think like someone with a brain in their head. Right now we need to support this coach. And support means throwing aside our previous reason for giving up on Tulane and help him to win. This also means we need to keep pressure on the administration. This coach is going to win and we as former players and fans are going to help them do it. Pressure on the administration and education of the Tulane faithful and the New Orleans community will help us do this. My only care is for the success of Tulane and New Orleans.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I believe that we will be successful with this coach and we will win championships. Trust me, I'm not wearing green goggles, I'm a realist. There is no reason for Tulane not to be a national power. NONE!
AugWave
Swell

winwave wrote:We all know the cowardly a**hole reads this site. His fellow a**hole asskissers are so stupid they couldn't figure this out.

"Tulane students show up in numbers and they are critiqued? Welcome to Old F@rts R Us. (My how we forget our college years). Two and a half sections of FRESHMEN were there 30 minutes before the game. Students occupied almost five sections (including the band) most of the game. They cheered, stood during important plays and went wild, cut up, went after the refs and added emotion and electricity to a fairly comatose crowd. The rest of the crowd should take lessons.

D@mn good job to ALL the students, the Band, Cheerleaders, Shockwave and Krewe of Green Wave. Continue to show up and be STUDENTS.

And please stay off the lawns of certain posters...

Tulane students suck that includes your kid jts. f**k you and yours.

:lol: Whoa.. I hear you though. I don't care if you show up and make a little noise (if he thinks that student section was loud than he really needs to watch other college football games), you NEED to stay and cheer on your fellow classmates the ENTIRE GAME. That's why athletes are so segregated from the student body. They don't support them, so they largely don't rock with the other students. I'm the rare case of a student hanging with all athletes (because I used to be an athlete and know half of them already .. :mrgreen: ). They need to stay there a$$e$ there, make the most noise they can on ALL 4 DOWNS, and ONLY ON DEFENSE!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL THE CHEERLEADERS TO STOP HOLDING UP THE MAKE NOISE BANNERS WHILE WE'RE ON OFFENSE!! LORD JESUS, THAT IS RIDICULOUS. My girlfriend used to be a cheerleader and she told them to stop making noise on offense, but the other cheerleaders said that it amps the offense up. -___________- the f**k?! WHO DOES THAT?! :roll:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
But if you go for 2 twice, then make a field goal, you win the game vs. playing to tie it.
If you make the two-point conversion twice, then you can make a field goal to win it. CJ was playing the percentages. Get the one-point now, and aim to tie it up. Yes, it would be nice to be more aggressive, but without any semblance of a run attack, the two becomes more difficult. I suppose if he knew we'd get the kick blocked he would've went for two. I do have an issue with not going for the onside kick after the touchdown.
For what it's worth, saw this linked on the other site: http://www.theredzone.org/Features/TwoP ... Chart.aspx
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

I think CJ played it correctly. You get the 1 it leaves us at 24-13. That's still a TD and a FG, miss and you need 2 TD's. Keeping the game at 11 forces the other team to play as if you need a FG and TD to tie and it allows you to remain 1 score behind if you have to kick a 40 yd FG on the next possession instead of being forced to go for it on a 4th and 10 or something. Long story short, had we made the Extra Point it gives CJ more options and it puts a little more pressure on them. I also think kicking it away with more than 5 minutes to play down 12 was also the right call. He played the situation correctly in my opinion. The idea is to keep the game alive as long as possible and that's what he did. I can see the argument for kicking an onside kick after we had missed the extra point, b/c it meant we needed 2 TD's, but I still would've kicked it away.
msdos
Swell

You can't fault him for not going for 2. Our short yardage game had been bad all night.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

All in all, that was not a bad opening effort against a legit BCS program. The OL is obviously a major concern, a simple eye test shows that they are not a D1 quality group. Hopefully they can be coached up.

As for the fans, what do you expect? The athletic department barely promotes, the team has the LONGEST losing stream in the nation etc. etc. There is no history, tradition or pride. I do find it sort of pathetic that so many people on this board attack the students. The product stinks and your anger should be directed to the admin. They win a few games, then you can start beating on the fans for not showing up/leaving. I can tell you that the students view this football team exactly how they should at this point, a total joke. They don't spend the time researching what CJ has done to bring in new recruits and change the culture as not everyone is as motivated in their fandom. I fail to see how one would expect today's college students to show up for a team with TU's recent history. Name me one other perennial losing non-BCS team that gets any type of consistent support, there must be one right?