Rutgers 24 TU 12

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
But if you go for 2 twice, then make a field goal, you win the game vs. playing to tie it.
If you make the two-point conversion twice, then you can make a field goal to win it. CJ was playing the percentages. Get the one-point now, and aim to tie it up. Yes, it would be nice to be more aggressive, but without any semblance of a run attack, the two becomes more difficult. I suppose if he knew we'd get the kick blocked he would've went for two. I do have an issue with not going for the onside kick after the touchdown.

Bigschtick
Riptide

AugWave wrote:WaveProf just gave the students props for their showing at the game last night... :shock:

I saw that too. Big Deal. Many parts of the city have no electricity from what I hear. Many stores and restaurants still closed. Hot
and humid. Buses to the air conditioned Superdome. So great that they got an initial student turnout but not great these kids split
early. Just does not bode well to show that we have the students behind the program in the way many here are. If these kids do
not have an attention span after one half and head to the doors, then we can not expect them to help us build the program back
to respectable levels against quality programs. The biggest disappointment again for me about saturday night!
Last edited by Bigschtick on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Robert1969
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Final score 24-12. Margin of defeat was 12 points.

1. The long kickoff return with under a minute in the first half set up Rutgers field goal as time expired. It should have been 7-3 instead of 10-3 at the half = 3 points

2. Griffin's pick six, totally inexcusable for a fifth year senior with his experience = 7 points

3. After we finally score, the extra point is blocked. What if we converted a two point conversion instead = 2 points

3+7+2=12 points.....Ballgame

And if we didn't have to settle for the field goal after penalties kept setting us back after the Travis interception, you'd have four more points. There's a lot of what ifs in any game, and I normally don't like to talk about what ifs. But I will say that this is one of better losses in the last two years. Rutgers is, after all, a legit conference contender, a bowl winner from last year, and we were 2-11. This game was 10-6 late in the fourth quarter. The offense is still learning the new system, and the defense put up one of its best performances in while, even if it was mistake riddled (but part of those mistakes come on Rutgers' talented running backs). This loss doesn't make me feel like the season is over like lots of early losses in the last few years made me feel. Instead, I believe that we can make the improvements necessary to have, relatively speaking, a successful season. I'm disappointed but not down about this game.
OUG
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:It going to take at least two more recruiting classes to become competitive against quality opponents.

First of all, there are no moral victories from this game, you'll find them on the YOGWF board.

Rutgers is probably the best defense we'll face this year. We missed Darkwa a lot more then we missed Mackey. I don't think we missed Mackey at all.

Offense: The first drive showed some promise, but penalties and a dropped pass killed it. Sure Griffin was under pressure as expected, but even when he wasn't he made bad throws. The pick six was all on him, it had nothing to do with the protection. I was hoping to see Powell late in the game, he might have made some plays with his legs. The running game was just pathetic. Strozier and Grant played really well.

Defense: I was very pleased with the Defensive line. Mackey would not have changed the outcome. Zach Davis did just fine. The first long scoring play was deja vu from last years Houston game. Nobody home in the secondary and Shak Smith completely juked. Batiste had a nice open field tackle. Overall, I feel much better about the defense.

Special teams: Starting the game with the kick off out of bounds...I thought we had enough of this garbage from the kicking game. At least Santos reached the endzone on his other kick offs. It seems even when we scored, special teams reared its ugly head. We kick a field goal with less than a minute in the half then they get a huge kick off return to set up a field goal of their own as time expires. We finally score a TD and then have the extra point blocked!!!

Coaching: Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting

Attendance: Who cares, we have to win some games first
+1, on all points, though I think UTEP's defense could be pretty good as well. The quicker we can get a win the better, to prevent "the streak" from becoming an anvil hanging over the team's heads.
greenphantom
Swell

Disappointed as it was a winnable game against a decent opponent. The encouraging thing is that we do seem to be improved overall (except for OL) and CUSA looks really bad this year. No reason we can't win 5 or 6 games with this schedule. Here are my thoughts after watching the film this morning:

1. Griffin played well against a good defense had it not been for the pick 6 and another near pick 6, especially considering he had to deal with a lot of pressure, several bad snaps and no running game. That being said, a fifth year senior cannot give up a pick 6 in that situation. Still telegraphs his passes.
2. Grant and Strozier are huge weapons. Grant looked a little like Jeremy Williams. Another WR needs to step up. TEs still can't make the big plays, but somehow seem to be able to make great diving catches 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Also, they need to run forward after a catch. For some reason, they seem to run sideways.
3. O-line. Horrible across the board. Good news is that we probably won't play that a defense that physical again this year.
4. Special teams is much improved. Punter was excellent and we have better athletes in coverage. On the one big return, there was a hold that helped spring the opening.
5. Defense was much better than expected and Washington called a great game. However, Rutgers' QB was average and we've usually done well against more traditional type offenses. We'll know more next week if we are better prepared against the spread.
6. As Aug mentioned, Shak is a weak link. He seems to have gotten progressively gotten worse each season. Cannot tackle at all.
7. Travis had a great pick but could have scored had he not turned it inside. There was wide open real estate down the sideline.
8. The students are an embarrassment. Stay home the rest of the season and play on Facebook.
RWR
Swell

wave runner
High Tide

greenphantom wrote:Disappointed as it was a winnable game against a decent opponent. The encouraging thing is that we do seem to be improved overall (except for OL) and CUSA looks really bad this year. No reason we can't win 5 or 6 games with this schedule. Here are my thoughts after watching the film this morning:

1. Griffin played well against a good defense had it not been for the pick 6 and another near pick 6, especially considering he had to deal with a lot of pressure, several bad snaps and no running game. That being said, a fifth year senior cannot give up a pick 6 in that situation. Still telegraphs his passes.
2. Grant and Strozier are huge weapons. Grant looked a little like Jeremy Williams. Another WR needs to step up. TEs still can't make the big plays, but somehow seem to be able to make great diving catches 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Also, they need to run forward after a catch. For some reason, they seem to run sideways.
3. O-line. Horrible across the board. Good news is that we probably won't play that a defense that physical again this year.
4. Special teams is much improved. Punter was excellent and we have better athletes in coverage. On the one big return, there was a hold that helped spring the opening.
5. Defense was much better than expected and Washington called a great game. However, Rutgers' QB was average and we've usually done well against more traditional type offenses. We'll know more next week if we are better prepared against the spread.
6. As Aug mentioned, Shak is a weak link. He seems to have gotten progressively gotten worse each season. Cannot tackle at all.
7. Travis had a great pick but could have scored had he not turned it inside. There was wide open real estate down the sideline.
8. The students are an embarrassment. Stay home the rest of the season and play on Facebook.
Big +1
WaveRollin92
High Tide

10-6 going into the fourth. Could of won if no pick six. But I was happy with the improvement
w
DrBox
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:Disappointed as it was a winnable game against a decent opponent. The encouraging thing is that we do seem to be improved overall (except for OL) and CUSA looks really bad this year. No reason we can't win 5 or 6 games with this schedule. Here are my thoughts after watching the film this morning:

Good rundown. Rutgers dropped TWO pick 6s. A fifth year senior QB can't make those mistakes. Shak isn't a good tackler - it looks like he shies from it. He's okay in coverage though. Those 3 freshmen corners ----they can play.
I wish Marfisi didn't have stone hands. He's a pretty good athlete. He perhaps should be moved to tackle or guard.
wave runner
High Tide

greenphantom
Swell

I'm not sure I agree that Rutgers dropped 2 pick 6s. On one, I couldn't tell if it was a drop or if Grant got a hand in. On the other, the defender jumped and got a hand on it, but it would have taken an unbelievable 1 handed catch to intercept the pass. Regardless, that's what makes the pick 6 so frustrating is that he already had already had a couple of close calls before that one. You just kind of knew that Rutgers was going to capitalize at some point on an errant throw.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave runner wrote:
@ the 1:39 mark.... I sure wish Travis would have took that pick to the sidelines and not up the middle. He would have scored I'm sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
wave runner wrote:
@ the 1:39 mark.... I sure wish Travis would have took that pick to the sidelines and not up the middle. He would have scored I'm sure.
He initially was heading in the direction of the sideline and had a caravan of blockers but for some unknown reason, he decided to turn it inside right into traffic and runs into his own player who was about to take out the QB. Crazy.
tnelly15
Riptide

The criticism of Ryan Griffin in this thread is warranted, but I did think he was a little bit better than usual. If we can establish a run game going forward that would help him out a bit I'm sure. If he and the OL can make some improvements 6 wins isnt out of reach.
Wave QB
Swell

I must say, I love the energy the defense played with last night. I think our defense is going to have a good year. Also, every single true freshman who took the field last night wanted to win that game badly. Keep bringing us talent CJ, we are behind you.
TURVS71
Swell

Very boring game....very disappointing performance .....The main, inexcusable area of last nights game was the 11 penalties. That concerns me very much as it shows a lack of football discipline and that comes directly from the head coach.....The media and many fans have proclaimed CJ to be "The Man." Let's just hope that he is NOT just a recruiter but also a head coach....Remember, he was hired because we couldn't get any other decent candidate to take the job. Not trying to demean him but sure looked like "typical Tulane" to me last night......
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bigschtick
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:Very boring game....very disappointing performance .....The main, inexcusable area of last nights game was the 11 penalties. That concerns me very much as it shows a lack of football discipline and that comes directly from the head coach.....The media and many fans have proclaimed CJ to be "The Man." Let's just hope that he is NOT just a recruiter but also a head coach....Remember, he was hired because we couldn't get any other decent candidate to take the job. Not trying to demean him but sure looked like "typical Tulane" to me last night......

plus 1
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The sloppiness was disappointing. This is the year you want to open w/SLU and have a game to adjust to new systems and give the new staff a chance to work out the kinks. In season you should see the most improvement from week 1 to week 2 so hopefully we look much sharper next week.

Rutgers will be the best overall team we play this year. That's the good news. We will get better under this staff. We still play a very weak schedule which looks even weaker after this weekends results. The problem is that Rutgers plays traditional football and even Toledo teams played better against them. That all changes when we play spread teams so the real test begins next week.

On offense the line was really bad as expected. We don't have much in reserve and Skold was still in street clothes last night. They won't play a better defense than last night and w/the experience hopefully they can improve. RG didn't have a chance and certainly locked in at times which is unacceptable from a 5th year senior. They could have had 3 more picks and 2 could have been pick 6's. He has to get better b/c Powell clearly isn't ready. He's a great athlete but at QB there is much more to it. He has to learn a complicated playbook. I doubt that happens real soon. It will but we need RG to step up. It was disappointing that Rounds didn't play. He has looked great and we were told he looked good b/c he had caught on to the playbook so fast. Now we are told he didn't play b/c he still needs to learn the playbook. Grant was great. Marfisi disappoints again.

On D way too many missed tackles. I wouldn't want to be in the film room w/them. Oh the horror. We knew the line wouldn't be that good but we were going to get pressure from blitzing but despite our blitzing we didn't get any pressure. And that was against a line that is under reconstruction as all 5 guys were at new positions. While I can understand some seeing progress it's scary to think what might happen once we face the spread. Hopefully we step up.

Santos looked good other than the opening kick off. Picirelli looked good too. The long return hurt but I think we'll see that corrected.

The refs hurt especially early. They didn't call a hold and then called interference when it was clearly good coverage. They didn't score on that 1st drive but those calls changed field position. They didn't call running into the kicker on 4th and 2 when they should have.

In spite of the problems this schedule still gives us a chance for 6-7 wins. Let's get better and go get 'em.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
AugWave
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:Very boring game....very disappointing performance .....The main, inexcusable area of last nights game was the 11 penalties. That concerns me very much as it shows a lack of football discipline and that comes directly from the head coach.....The media and many fans have proclaimed CJ to be "The Man." Let's just hope that he is NOT just a recruiter but also a head coach....Remember, he was hired because we couldn't get any other decent candidate to take the job. Not trying to demean him but sure looked like "typical Tulane" to me last night......
You serious? Disappointing performance? So, overall you think that the performance was typical Tulane? We held those cats to 10 points through 4 quarters. Their D-Line was dominant against our lacking O-Line and we were completely one dimensional, not because of coaching but because of TALENT. Coaches tried motion blocking to help, but how is that gonna help when our receivers are 190 lbs? You gotta accept the fact that it isn't going to work and do what you can to move the ball.

The D-Line that damn near everybody said would be putrid, actually did a decent job. Their O-line was HUGE. They have a 6'8 330 pounder on their line. Who's our biggest DT, Redwine? At 6ft 300?? You think coaching cost us the game?? So coaching made that pick-6 happen? Did poor coaching make Shak scared to hit that running back coming full steam at him? Did you not see how pissed the coaches were at the wideout dropping that ball (forgot which one exactly)?? He was in perfect position. It was a perfect play. They put them in the position to win and the players didn't capitalize. Not saying that nothing good happened, but I'm just focusing on the negatives at the moment. You learn from it and move on to the next game.

PPFFTTT! We played better than I expected. The penalties were bad, but how many of them were effort penalties?? Facemasks and holding are effort penalties. Better to hold than to let the guy through and destroy your QB. Now the delay of games were due to the scheme. Installing it for the first time within a game all the while adjusting to the defense is something you cannot practice. The only way to get better is to play a REAL GAME against someone different than yourself.

We will be straight. To point the finger at CJ is just frickin' ridiculous. We lost. Period. 24-12. I'd much rather see a loss like that than a frickin 60 point blowout to C-USA teams. 24-12 loss against the Big East #1 contender?? 9 wins and probably gonna reel off double digit wins this season? C'mon man.. be real. And we were there until the end?!?!!! :lol:

Ok bro. I don't f*** with moral victories, but to say that the team was a disappointment is just outrageous. If you didn't see improvement in the team then I don't know what to tell ya. *shrug*
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Wave QB
Swell

The team is young and it was just the first game. You talk as if the season is over! We played one of the best teams we are going to see all season. You might need to get your eyes checked if you saw " typical Tulane " last night. I can't believe that you are bashing Curtis Johnson.
DrBox
Riptide

I thought there was a material difference in scheme, defensive discipline, effort and young talent.
Look at the UCF game from 2010...that's probably what we'd have seen last night under prior regimes.
winwave wrote: The problem is that Rutgers plays traditional football and even Toledo teams played better against them. That all changes when we play spread teams so the real test begins next week.
Rutgers and the Alabama game he did.
But then there were the two UCF and one BYU game....
Last edited by DrBox on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AugWave
Swell

winwave wrote:The sloppiness was disappointing. This is the year you want to open w/SLU and have a game to adjust to new systems and give the new staff a chance to work out the kinks. In season you should see the most improvement from week 1 to week 2 so hopefully we look much sharper next week.

Rutgers will be the best overall team we play this year. That's the good news. We will get better under this staff. We still play a very weak schedule which looks even weaker after this weekends results. The problem is that Rutgers plays traditional football and even Toledo teams played better against them. That all changes when we play spread teams so the real test begins next week.

On offense the line was really bad as expected. We don't have much in reserve and Skold was still in street clothes last night. They won't play a better defense than last night and w/the experience hopefully they can improve. RG didn't have a chance and certainly locked in at times which is unacceptable from a 5th year senior. They could have had 3 more picks and 2 could have been pick 6's. He has to get better b/c Powell clearly isn't ready. He's a great athlete but at QB there is much more to it. He has to learn a complicated playbook. I doubt that happens real soon. It will but we need RG to step up. It was disappointing that Rounds didn't play. He has looked great and we were told he looked good b/c he had caught on to the playbook so fast. Now we are told he didn't play b/c he still needs to learn the playbook. Grant was great. Marfisi disappoints again.

On D way too many missed tackles. I wouldn't want to be in the film room w/them. Oh the horror. We knew the line wouldn't be that good but we were going to get pressure from blitzing but despite our blitzing we didn't get any pressure. And that was against a line that is under reconstruction as all 5 guys were at new positions. While I can understand some seeing progress it's scary to think what might happen once we face the spread. Hopefully we step up.

Santos looked good other than the opening kick off. Picirelli looked good too. The long return hurt but I think we'll see that corrected.

The refs hurt especially early. They didn't call a hold and then called interference when it was clearly good coverage. They didn't score on that 1st drive but those calls changed field position. They didn't call running into the kicker on 4th and 2 when they should have.

In spite of the problems this schedule still gives us a chance for 6-7 wins. Let's get better and go get 'em.
Just some remarks:

That freshman punter was definitely ready to play. He'll be a great weapon for us during his years.
I agree about the refs, 100 frickin got damn percent.
I think our defense will be ok against the spread because we'll actually be able to get pressure on the QB. The remaining O-lines aren't as huge as what we just went up against. And they definitely can't move like they could.
I was wondering why Rounds didn't get some reps.
I agree that we have a chance at 6 wins.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:The sloppiness was disappointing. This is the year you want to open w/SLU and have a game to adjust to new systems and give the new staff a chance to work out the kinks. In season you should see the most improvement from week 1 to week 2 so hopefully we look much sharper next week.

+1

I watched Tulsa, Memphis, UAB, Houston, UTEP, USM and ULL games from yesterday. If the Tulane's defense is going to play hard like they did last night every game this season, we can be going bowling in CJ's first season. However, the offense must get moving. It is good to look at the Wave and see these young kid with speed, talent and skills fired up! I really feel CJ is going to win at Tulane. He might have to deal with a few haters who are always unhappy and don't do anything for this program but talk, but he is doing everything the correct way thus far. He is bringing in talented kids with brains who can play football. I loved what I saw from the freshman on the team. Those kids were not intimidated by a team who was bigger and stronger than them. Rutgers is picked to contend for the Big East title. We are picked to finish 2-11 again by many experts. The Wave could have got creamed last night, but those kids fough hard and held RU to 10 points going into the 4th. I am ready for next weeks game. Roll Wave!
tnelly15
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:Very boring game....very disappointing performance ...........
CJ aint a miracle worker bro,it takes a little time to turn around a program.
msdos
Swell

Griffin is average, made very below average by our awful o-line