2013 Football Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Eaglewave
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:I dont know, I find it almost impossible to believe 99.9% of athletes would take a loss over a win. No matter who the opponent is or what the atmosphere is like. Not buying it.
+2

Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote: Another thing, we started out 2-1 last year and ended up 2-10, how did that help us?

Ok? So what? In 2002 we started 2-1 and ended up 8-5.
Wave QB
Swell

vs. South Alabama
at. ULM
at. Syracuse
sader24
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:
sader24 wrote: Another thing, we started out 2-1 last year and ended up 2-10, how did that help us?

And our schedule was tougher in 2002.
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Please! All but one win was against losing teams in the regular. (And for the record, Southern was on the schedule.)
sader24
Tsunami

Ask a player if they rather lose to LSU in front of 100,000 by 21 in a competitive game or beat SLU by 21 in front of 2,200 people. Steve has said on here numerous times that when he played the games players were most pumped up for were Texas and LSU. We beat Miss.St in 2003 and 2006. We arent a bad program b/c we play tough competition, we are a bad program b/c we are a bad program. The program wont magically improve b/c we move into a stadium and it wont improve by dumbing down the schedule. It'll improve when the University makes it a priority, end of story.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
sader24 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Please! All but one win was against losing teams in the regular. (And for the record, Southern was on the schedule.)

You are right about that dude!
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:
sader24 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Incorrect - we beat 2 teams with winning regular seasons.
We also beat two 5-7 teams; had we not beaten them, they would not have had losing regular season games.
We also played two 10-win teams; one tough, and one a blowout loss.
That schedule was decidedly more challenging than we'll play next year. The league was immensely better and the ooc schedule was better as well.
We've got to play a credible schedule.
Eaglewave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
sader24 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

We also beat two 5-7 teams; had we not beaten them, they would not have had losing regular season games.
That schedule was decidedly more challenging than we'll play next year. The league was immensely better and the ooc schedule was better as well.

Ok. 2 teams with winning records! Wow! All of your " we stopped two 5-7 teams from having winning records" means nothing along with the TCU and Texas losses. There is no way in hell that C-USA was better in the 2002! The conferance was very weak that season.

The 2013 schedule needs to look like the 2002 schedule. The C-USA was not strong and division I-AA Southern was added to give us a shot at winning 6 or more games. A schedule like the 2002 schedule is needed at this point to give us a shot at going to another bowl game.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
sader24 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Ok. 2 teams with winning records! Wow! All of your " we stopped two 5-7 teams from having winning records" means nothing along with the TCU and Texas losses. There is no way in hell that C-USA was better in the 2002! The conferance was very weak that season.

The 2013 schedule needs to look like the 2002 schedule. The C-USA was not strong and division I-AA Southern was added to give us a shot at winning 6 or more games. A schedule like the 2002 schedule is needed at this point to give us a shot at going to another bowl game.
You're in the minority here. Tulane doesn't fool anyone w/moves like you suggest. Winning 6 against that type of schedule won't fool anyone and more importantly it won't draw anyone. Our fans are pissed which is why they stay away in droves. They want real wins against real teams. It's time for Tulane to hear us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tnelly15
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Steve has said on here numerous times that when he played the games players were most pumped up for were Texas and LSU. .
Yeah before and even during the game before they were getting blown out I'm sure they were pretty pumped. After the game they probably didnt feel too good because they lost.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
sader24 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

You're in the minority here. Tulane doesn't fool anyone w/moves like you suggest. Winning 6 against that type of schedule won't fool anyone and more importantly it won't draw anyone. Our fans are pissed which is why they stay away in droves. They want real wins against real teams. It's time for Tulane to hear us.
Yeah, as compared to those fake wins against those fake teams we play.

People get off it - we need wins against any team ... PERIOD!

Our fans are pissed which is why they stay away in droves?!?! WTF? You act as though we were averaging 45K a year and all of a sudden 43.5K all decided to stay home. We don't have a fan base - we lost that years ago from not winning!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Get a grip. I was talking about the proposed dumbed down schedule that that poster suggest. And anyone who follows these boards knows I have been saying for years that our fans stay away in protest. I know we didn't drop overnight. But we can get them back quickly if we upgrade our OOC and win those games.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

winwave wrote:Get a grip. I was talking about the proposed dumbed down schedule that that poster suggest. And anyone who follows these boards knows I have been saying for years that our fans stay away in protest. I know we didn't drop overnight. But we can get them back quickly if we upgrade our OOC and win those games.
Fair enough - but if "dumbing down" the schedule for a year or two is what it takes to get to 6 wins and a bowl game I'm all for it. If we go 6-6 and get to the New Orleans bowl no one will care that 2 of those wins were against SELU and Arkansas State. We would have more excitement going 6-6 and losing a bowl game then we would if we were 3-9 against a monster schedule.

As of last week we were 124 out of 124 D1 teams - we need wins. I wouldn't want a dumb down schedule every year but I'd be okay with it for the next year or two.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tnelly15 wrote:
sader24 wrote: Steve has said on here numerous times that when he played the games players were most pumped up for were Texas and LSU.
Yeah before and even during the game before they were getting blown out I'm sure they were pretty pumped. After the game they probably didnt feel too good because they lost.
Yes, we didn't feel good when we lost. No one ever should. If you do, then you shouldn't be playing the game. This is the last time I'll chime in on this, but having spent 20+ hours a week with my team for those 4 years, I know what I'm talking about. You only get better playing better opponents. PERIOD.

Are the players bragging about beating SMU this weekend? If any of them are, then they need a swift kick in the ass. We are a bad team, and we beat a bad team. If you're bragging about this win, then your expectations aren't where they should be.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JDTulane
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:
sader24 wrote: Steve has said on here numerous times that when he played the games players were most pumped up for were Texas and LSU.
Yes, we didn't feel good when we lost. No one ever should. If you do, then you shouldn't be playing the game. This is the last time I'll chime in on this, but having spent 20+ hours a week with my team for those 4 years, I know what I'm talking about. You only get better playing better opponents. PERIOD.

Are the players bragging about beating SMU this weekend? If any of them are, then they need a swift kick in the ass. We are a bad team, and we beat a bad team. If you're bragging about this win, then your expectations aren't where they should be.

+1. Been seeing them celebrate on facebook and at first I think, here here! Then its like, wait, you're celebrating this hard breaking a 15 game losing streak? Call me when its a 3-4 game winning streak buds. I hope CuJo reels em in.
Wave QB
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:

You only get better? LMFAO! This is coming from a 2002 player who knows what it feels like to get killed by Texas and go on to lose to 0-9 Army! You of all people on this board should understand what adding FCS teams and weak FBS conferance teams can do for a team that is not yet ready for the "big time".

How in the world can you bash these players for being happy about beating SMU? These kids have been through hell this season and earned their first win of the season. Let them use this to move on to more wins this season just like your 2002 team used the win over division I-AA Southern to rack up enough wins to sneak in a bowl game.

And if no Tulane fan told you this:

THE 2002 TULANE FOOTBALL TEAM WAS NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT! C-USA sucked that season and we lost to 1-11 Army, 3-9 Memphis and 4-8 ECU in route to a 7-5 regular season with 2 of those wins against winning teams!
Last edited by Wave QB on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

What does the schedule look like with the new conference teams?

What non conference games do we have?
Wave QB
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:What does the schedule look like with the new conference teams?

What non conference games do we have?
Non Conference games:

vs. South Alabama
at. ULM
at. Syracuse
Wave QB
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
winwave wrote:Get a grip. I was talking about the proposed dumbed down schedule that that poster suggest. And anyone who follows these boards knows I have been saying for years that our fans stay away in protest. I know we didn't drop overnight. But we can get them back quickly if we upgrade our OOC and win those games.
Fair enough - but if "dumbing down" the schedule for a year or two is what it takes to get to 6 wins and a bowl game I'm all for it. If we go 6-6 and get to the New Orleans bowl no one will care that 2 of those wins were against SELU and Arkansas State. We would have more excitement going 6-6 and losing a bowl game then we would if we were 3-9 against a monster schedule.

As of last week we were 124 out of 124 D1 teams - we need wins. I wouldn't want a dumb down schedule every year but I'd be okay with it for the next year or two.
I am so glad that someone else gets it! Nobody is saying that the Wave should keep having weak schedules, but after not going to a bowl game since 2002, another weak schedule is needed as soon as possible.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wave QB wrote:You only get better? LMFAO! This is coming from a 2002 player who knows what it feels like to get killed by Texas and go on to lose to 0-9 Army! You of all people on this board should understand what adding FCS teams and weak FBS conferance teams can do for a team that is not yet ready for the "big time".

Yes, you heard me right. I didn't stutter.
Wave QB wrote:How in the world can you bash these players for being happy about beating SMU? These kids have been through hell this season and earned their first win of the season. Let them use this to move on to more wins this season just like your 2002 team used the win over division I-AA Southern to rack up enough wins to sneak in a bowl game.
I never said they couldn't be happy, nor did I bash them. Read what I wrote. I was using the SMU game as an example. If you play crappy teams and beat them, you won't be bragging about who you just beat.
Wave QB wrote:And if no Tulane fan told you this:

THE 2002 TULANE FOOTBALL TEAM WAS NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT! C-USA sucked that season and we lost to 1-11 Army, 3-9 Memphis and 4-8 ECU in route to a 7-5 regular season with 2 of those wins against winning teams!
So that season is nothing to brag about, but this SMU win is??? LOL
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Wave QB wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

I am so glad that someone else gets it! Nobody is saying that the Wave should keep having weak schedules, but after not going to a bowl game since 2002, another weak schedule is needed as soon as possible.

I understand it because I understand what the goal is. You have to think in terms of a realistic goal. Yes, I would love to be a top 5 team and have a shot at the national title. That is not realistic. The goal at present is to win 6 games and go to a bowl and hopefully in the process get better players in the program. One you reach your goal you set one that is higher. So, if the goal at current is a 6 win season and a bowl game - you adjust your schedule accordingly to help you reach your goal.

Seems pretty simple to me ... It may be because I have 4 degrees, but come on guys - this ain't rocket science!
sader24
Tsunami

Some of the people on here are certifiable. Nobody is advocating a "tough" schedule. What we are saying is the new CUSA is going to have us playing 7-8 Bottom FBS teams per year anyway against teams that attract nobodies interest. All we are saying is with those 4 non-conference games we shouldnt schedule FCS teams and/or the S.Alabamas of the world. Pick 4 teams out of the following list and play them: Ole Miss, Ms.St, Vandy, Kentucky, Ga.Tech, TxAM, Baylor, TCU, Duke, WF, aryland, UVA, Miami, Northwestern, Rutgers, Boston College, Syracuse, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Pitt, Louisville, etc. Personally I would advocate Vandy, Ga.Tech, Ole Miss/ ms. St, and one of the above.

Also, anyone trying to bash the best Tulane team since 98 while celebrating a 0-5 team beating a bad SMU team is f'n crazy. The 2002 team was inconsistent, but they won 8 games including a bowl game and beat S.Miss handily.

Let me know when one of your degrees says "How To Run A Football Program"
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

sader24 wrote:Some of the people on here are certifiable. Nobody is advocating a "tough" schedule. What we are saying is the new CUSA is going to have us playing 7-8 Bottom FBS teams per year anyway against teams that attract nobodies interest. All we are saying is with those 4 non-conference games we shouldnt schedule FCS teams and/or the S.Alabamas of the world. Pick 4 teams out of the following list and play them: Ole Miss, Ms.St, Vandy, Kentucky, Ga.Tech, TxAM, Baylor, TCU, Duke, WF, aryland, UVA, Miami, Northwestern, Rutgers, Boston College, Syracuse, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Pitt, Louisville, etc. Personally I would advocate Vandy, Ga.Tech, Ole Miss/ ms. St, and one of the above.

Also, anyone trying to bash the best Tulane team since 98 while celebrating a 0-5 team beating a bad SMU team is f'n crazy. The 2002 team was inconsistent, but they won 8 games including a bowl game and beat S.Miss handily.

Let me know when one of your degrees says "How To Run A Football Program"
I bet I could run a football program a lot better than the people at Tulane right now.

I totally understand where you are coming from - I get excited when we have Ole Miss or Duke or Rutgers on the schedule much more than SELU, South Alabama or ULM - HOWEVER - for the next year or two I don't see where it hurts to "dumb down" the schedule if it will help you get to 6 wins.

But you know what - i'll never change your mind and you'll never change mine and at the end of the day neither one of us have any say in what our schedule looks like. And I'll keep buying my 14 season tickets and going to Tulane football games no matter who they play.

Roll Wave!
Wave QB
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Wave QB wrote:You only get better? LMFAO! This is coming from a 2002 player who knows what it feels like to get killed by Texas and go on to lose to 0-9 Army! You of all people on this board should understand what adding FCS teams and weak FBS conferance teams can do for a team that is not yet ready for the "big time".

Yes, you heard me right. I didn't stutter.
Wave QB wrote:How in the world can you bash these players for being happy about beating SMU? These kids have been through hell this season and earned their first win of the season. Let them use this to move on to more wins this season just like your 2002 team used the win over division I-AA Southern to rack up enough wins to sneak in a bowl game.
I never said they couldn't be happy, nor did I bash them. Read what I wrote. I was using the SMU game as an example. If you play crappy teams and beat them, you won't be bragging about who you just beat.
Wave QB wrote:And if no Tulane fan told you this:

So that season is nothing to brag about, but this SMU win is??? LOL
No, but there is nothing wrong about getting this win. Just like there was nothing wrong about your 2002 team beating division I-AA Southern.