2013 Football Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:Not if your talent level is not up to par. You only get you tail kicked by better opponents and lose confidence. The loss of confidence only makes you fall apart to the Rice's and UAB's of the world. I just hope CJ brings in all of the "beast" he is saying that he has on the way. We are expected to be ranked pretty high for the 2013 class.
If that happens,

1. It is on the coach
2. You have some sorry ass players

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Eaglewave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:Not if your talent level is not up to par. You only get you tail kicked by better opponents and lose confidence. The loss of confidence only makes you fall apart to the Rice's and UAB's of the world. I just hope CJ brings in all of the "beast" he is saying that he has on the way. We are expected to be ranked pretty high for the 2013 class.
If that happens,

1. It is on the coach
2. You have some sorry ass players

Well, we sure have seen it happen here plenty of times in the past.
Ball Sumrall!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:Well, we sure have seen it happen here plenty of times in the past.
You're right, we have. And it sucks.
Roll Wave!
Eaglewave
Swell

At this point, Nicholls State, Grambling or Northwestern State needs to be added to the 2013 schedule. I am not a big fan at playing FCS teams, but we really need help!
Ball Sumrall!
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

People get your head our of your a$s! Sure, I'd love to see a schedule that included Ole Miss, Georgia, and USC - but seriously - we need to win games - any games - just win a game! And if we need to dumb down the schedule next year to do it then so be it. I'd be scared to play ODU, Western Kentucky or South Alabama this year - people - we just got our ass handed to us by ULM - we need to upgrade the talent and win some games! If we go 6-6 next year and make a bowl game, come December no one will care that 4 of those wins came against "lesser" teams - because right now - we are the lesser team - we are 120 out of 120 - we all have these grand ideas of playing for conference championships and playing a "tough" schedule - but seriously folks - lets just win 1 game first!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
tnelly15
Riptide

I think Law Greenie makes a good point. Havent a lot of programs in the past built themselves up by beating up on lesser teams in the early building stages? You have to figure winning games against terrible competition looks better in the eyes of recruits than losing to good teams. I say go with a weak schedule next season and get some wins. When you're finally winning some games and bringing in the types of recruits CJ is capable of getting then we could go with the schedules you guys are suggesting.
wavedat
Swell

You get your head out your asses. all agree we can't play a schedule of top 10 teams but watering it down to the level RD is going is a joke. Dumbing down schedules to ridiculous levels hasn't helped us in any sport. It's got to stop now.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
St. Amant Wave
Ripple

Yeah, that's the ticket! Dummy down the schedule and play right into Scott Cowen.s hand and play D-2 football! :x
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Or we can play a tougher schedule and go 0-12, 3-9, 2-10 and 1-11 over the next 4 years ... looks like a good way to kill a program to me!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

You never want to dumb down the schedule.
Roll Wave!
waveclem
Surge

Juuust my opinion, but i think our schedule is already pretty dumb. Conference usa sucks and we cant even win these games. Stop lowering the bar. Drop the loser mentality.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

waveclem wrote:Juuust my opinion, but i think our schedule is already pretty dumb. Conference usa sucks and we cant even win these games. Stop lowering the bar. Drop the loser mentality.
+1
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
waveclem wrote:Juuust my opinion, but i think our schedule is already pretty dumb. Conference usa sucks and we cant even win these games. Stop lowering the bar. Drop the loser mentality.
+1

+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Or we can play a tougher schedule and go 0-12, 3-9, 2-10 and 1-11 over the next 4 years ... looks like a good way to kill a program to me!
I agree. There is no way playing tougher program will help us right now. We need a weak 2013 schedule that can get this 120th ranked program some wins. What is going to kill our program is going 4-8, 2-10 and 3-9 every year. Going 7-5 and 8-4 is going to keep our program in the FBS untill we get the correct talent in to compete against bigger and better teams. A winning season will give these players some much needed confidence going into 2014.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:You never want to dumb down the schedule.
Says the man who won a bowl game in 2002. After that ugly 2001 season, the 2002 schedule was far from a tower of power. In fact, division I-AA Southern was the first game of the season that year and the crowd was at 40k+. You should be one of the main posters here wanting to see a FCS team on the 2013 in order to build some confidence to these kids who don't know how to win. This season is going to end ugly. We need another 8 win season asap.
Ball Sumrall!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
Says the man who won a bowl game in 2002. After that ugly 2001 season, the 2002 schedule was far from a tower of power. In fact, division I-AA Southern was the first game of the season that year and the crowd was at 40k+. You should be one of the main posters here wanting to see a FCS team on the 2013 in order to build some confidence to these kids who don't know how to win. This season is going to end ugly. We need another 8 win season asap.
The schedules were pretty much identical. We played Southern both years, LSU in '01 and Texas in '02, so your argument doesn't hold. Playing FCS teams does not build confidence. And coming from a player, I can tell you that is the truth. Never do you feel good or feel like you're a force to be reckoned with when you whoop up on a weak, Div II team. In fact, it is the exact opposite. The locker room was never more amped than when we did play LSU and Texas, even though we lost. Recruits don't want to come in and play Southern, etc.

NO FCS TEAMS.
Roll Wave!
wavedat
Swell

Just b/c we dumb down the schedule doesn't mean we'll have a winning season. Fact is our recruiting has been at a low level for a long time but the results have never been this bad. And it's not just the results but how we get them. The team is clueless on the field. That's coaching. He's a wonderful man and a good recruiter but he can't coach. End of story. End of program b/c he will be here at least 4 if not 5 years since he's a local and our recruiting would suffer from backlash if he's not given that long.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
sader24
Tsunami

It's going to be really hard to recruit good players when they see a schedule filled with nobodies. Good players want to play good teams in all sports. I'd rather go 6-6 against a good schedule than 10-2 against nobodies and FCS teams.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

sader24 wrote:It's going to be really hard to recruit good players when they see a schedule filled with nobodies. Good players want to play good teams in all sports. I'd rather go 6-6 against a good schedule than 10-2 against nobodies and FCS teams.

Dude, what are you smoking! 6-6 ?!?! Seriously, 6 wins? I've been to all 4 games this season and I can tell you that this team could easily go 0-12 and I don't know if we'd get 6 wins if we played Southeastern all 12 games this season.

This program needs wins and needs them bad! No one is saying dumb down the schedule from now until the end of time but we need to do that now because of the current state of the program. If we don't start getting some wins then no one will be talking about a schedule 5 years from now b/c we won't have a team!
JDTulane
Riptide

Play Southeastern and after that on par with this year's sched till we build up. No more dumbing down from here
ExileWave
Surge

How far have we gotten in basketball with dumbing down under Conroy? Baseball can't sniff post season and has been embarrassing in CUSA with dumbed down schedules. We may as well move to FCS if we can't recruit and compete with our peers on the same playing field and under the same rules. All RD has done since 2005 is make those of us who support this fiasco look "dumbed down."
Eaglewave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
The schedules were pretty much identical. We played Southern both years, LSU in '01 and Texas in '02, so your argument doesn't hold. Playing FCS teams does not build confidence. And coming from a player, I can tell you that is the truth. Never do you feel good or feel like you're a force to be reckoned with when you whoop up on a weak, Div II team. In fact, it is the exact opposite. The locker room was never more amped than when we did play LSU and Texas, even though we lost. Recruits don't want to come in and play Southern, etc.

NO FCS TEAMS.

Yeah. Ok. I guess you guys were fired after taking a 48-17 lost to LSU in 2001 and a 49-0 lost to Texas in 2002.

Both 01 and 02 FCS Southern games brought wins and 40 to 41K to the dome. My argument holds because the 2002 was a weak C-USA era, and the schedule was a watered down after the 3-9 2001 season. Texas was the only major team scheduled. Do you think you would have went to a bowl game that season playing against Texas, LSU, and Alabama? No because that would have been 2 more losses that we didn't need. That FCS Southern win turned a 7 game winnning season into a 8 game winning season. How many C-USA teams made it to a bowl game that season with only 6 or 7 wins?

We are looking at a pretty bad 2012 season. The 2013 season needs to start off with a win. Like I stated before, I am not a fan of playing FCS schools, however, I understand that rebuilding programs need wins in front of a home crowds every so often. If we ever needed a watered down schedule, 2013 would be the best year for it. I am 100% for playing a FCS in 2013. We need wins.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

sader24 wrote:It's going to be really hard to recruit good players when they see a schedule filled with nobodies. Good players want to play good teams in all sports. I'd rather go 6-6 against a good schedule than 10-2 against nobodies and FCS teams.
Man please! That era is over. Most of these kids want to play. Why do you think you are seeing more and more FCS teams beating FBS in this era? Why do you think you are seeing more FCS players and non BCS conferance players in the NFL? Kids don't want to wait untill their senior year to start anymore. They want to play now and shine on the field against LSU or SLU. I am not worried bout what type of recruits CJ is bringing to Tulane because he is a great recruiter. I am more worried about having a chance to have winning seasons at this point. Not winning more that 5 games in a season since 2002 really sucks.
Ball Sumrall!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:Yeah. Ok. I guess you guys were fired after taking a 48-17 lost to LSU in 2001 and a 49-0 lost to Texas in 2002.

Both 01 and 02 FCS Southern games brought wins and 40 to 41K to the dome. My argument holds because the 2002 was a weak C-USA era, and the schedule was a watered down after the 3-9 2001 season.
My argument holds because I was on the team, in the locker room, and on the practice field. The losing sucked, but the experience was well worth it. We all much rathered running out onto the field and playing in front of 94,000+ in Tiger Stadium vs. 40k at the Dome vs. Southern any day. The Texas game in the Dome during the evacuation week was more exciting than a Southern game too.
Roll Wave!
JDTulane
Riptide

I enjoy a full dome more than an empty one regardless of score