Devin Powell is good, but the Wave is on Griffin!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

I have watched Devin Powell in high school and have really kept my eye on him running the offense in the fall. I must say, CJ has found a very good QB for the Green Wave that will lead us to a bowl game very soon. However, I really feel that CJ should redshirt Powell. The kid " will " start next season and has what it takes to be one of the top 25 QB's in FBS before his senior year. Why not give him one year to learn the college football game a bit better? If CJ does this, the kid could be a 4 year starter. I am not worried about him going to the NFL draft before his senior year because Powell is a smart kid and really wants a Tulane degree. Believe me, if you get a chance to talk to this kid, you will agree that he is the only type of " Orleans Pubilc School" kid that we need to bring to Tulane. He is one of those kids who loves to learn and wants you to help him improve his skills in everything. I am glad the CJ picked this kid up because I really thought he was going to Miss St. Powell looks bigger than 215 and taller than 6'3 to me. The kid has a strong arm and makes good decisions while the heat is on him. I am going to be a big fan of this kid. I do feel that he has what it takes to win a few games as a freshman, but we already have a 5th year senior starter in Griffin. Ponders is not better than Powell, but he can still make some things happen as the back up man. If I were CJ, I would redshirt Powell, give him a headset and spend the year getting him stronger, faster and smarter. Make him fired up to start next season. No one expects the Wave to have a great season this year, but we do expect to see improvement. Griffin has improved, and should have some really good games this season. I really think that Griffin is going to have his best year passing the football and trying his best to showcase his arm to the NFL scouts. I am one of those fans who feel that Powell will handle CJ's offense better than Griffin, however, Griffin has been around a long time and will be focused on his career. This is a do or die season for Griffin. He has more to lose this season then Powell does. I really feel CJ is showing his first signs of inexperience by not redshirting Powell after he saw that Griffin is good enough to get him through this season and has solid QB skills. I think he is a bit too caught up in the fact that Powell is a good QB and can hang in with the big boys this season. He needs to understand that the defense the Powell is making highlights on in practice is not wearing UH, ECU and Tulsa on their helmets. Give this kid a year to get ready to turn the program around because I believe that 2013 will be a fun year for Tulane fans.

RWR
Swell

Coaches realize now that it's better for QB's to play as the best way to learn. The NFL will have sveral rookie QB's starting this year. Furthermore it's about Tulane not the player and he is the only returning scholarship QB for next year so it's imperative that he get game action now. It's hypocritical to post in one thread that he's ready to start now and in another to say he should RS.
DrBox
Riptide

We cannot reshirt Powell. He will be a starter next year and every bit of experience we can get him, will benefit greatly. Further, if Griffin goes down, some experience in earlier games will help Powell.
Also realize that next year, we will have NO experienced scholarship QB on this entire roster if we redshirt Powell. Not one.
Redshirting Powell should simply not be a consideration.

It's really too bad Blouin couldn't stick around and accept a role as career back-up. He's clearly better than Ponder (Ponder remains inaccurate; 2 ints in limited time Saturday) and we need a back up for next year too.
Last edited by DrBox on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWR
Swell

Ponder is much better than Bluoin who showed absolutely nothing at QB.
galvezwave
Swell

cant redshirt. Griffin could come out and be an abomination as far as we know.
DrBox
Riptide

RWR wrote:Ponder is much better than Bluoin who showed absolutely nothing at QB.
And Ponder has shown.....what, exactly?
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote:
It's really too bad Blouin couldn't stick around and accept a role as career back-up.
This is at least the second time you have accused Blouin of leaving for this reason, basically calling him a quitter, if not a coward. Do you know this for a fact? Quit judging the kid, thank him for choosing us in the first place, and wish him the best in his future endeavors.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave QB
Swell

RWR wrote:Coaches realize now that it's better for QB's to play as the best way to learn. The NFL will have sveral rookie QB's starting this year. Furthermore it's about Tulane not the player and he is the only returning scholarship QB for next year so it's imperative that he get game action now. It's hypocritical to post in one thread that he's ready to start now and in another to say he should RS.
It's not hypocritical. I made the point that the kid is good enough to start now, but Griffin is the starting QB. So why not redshirt him so he can be a 4 year starter?
Wave QB
Swell

DrBox wrote:We cannot reshirt Powell. He will be a starter next year and every bit of experience we can get him, will benefit greatly. Further, if Griffin goes down, some experience in earlier games will help Powell.
Also realize that next year, we will have NO experienced scholarship QB on this entire roster if we redshirt Powell. Not one.
Redshirting Powell should simply not be a consideration.

It's really too bad Blouin couldn't stick around and accept a role as career back-up. He's clearly better than Ponder (Ponder remains inaccurate; 2 ints in limited time Saturday) and we need a back up for next year too.
Good point.
sader24
Tsunami

He isnt going to redshirt him b/c he's going to play him this year. He's also the 2nd string QB and if Griffin gets hurt he's going to be starting.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

sader24 wrote:He isnt going to redshirt him b/c he's going to play him this year. He's also the 2nd string QB and if Griffin gets hurt he's going to be starting.
+1

Also, when's the last time we didn't play 2 quarterbacks in a given year, injuries aside?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
TURVS71
Swell

Powell should not be redshirted. He needs to play and gain experience if he truly is our next years quarterback. Hopefully we will get far ahead in some games so he can play. I am trying to be positive and NOT mention the other scenario in which he will/should play.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DrBox
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:
DrBox wrote:
It's really too bad Blouin couldn't stick around and accept a role as career back-up.
This is at least the second time you have accused Blouin of leaving for this reason, basically calling him a quitter, if not a coward. Do you know this for a fact? Quit judging the kid, thank him for choosing us in the first place, and wish him the best in his future endeavors.
???????
What?
He left the team. I have no idea why. If he didn't choose to leave, it means he was kicked off. Would you rather me say that? It's one or the other. Mercy.
AugWave
Swell

The first sign of inexperience is that he isn't gonna redshirt Powell?? Seriously? Do you know how weak we are behind Powell? :shock:
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
AugWave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
DrBox wrote:
???????
What?
He left the team. I have no idea why. If he didn't choose to leave, it means he was kicked off. Would you rather me say that? It's one or the other. Mercy.
I think he quit bro..
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
RWR
Swell

DrBox wrote:
RWR wrote:Ponder is much better than Bluoin who showed absolutely nothing at QB.
Like I said it was clear Bluoin was not a D-1 Qb and hence he left. DJ has played and has game experience. This staff is much better than the previous staff. DJ has a strong arm and is mobile.
DrBox
Riptide

RWR wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Like I said it was clear Bluoin was not a D-1 Qb and hence he left. DJ has played and has game experience. This staff is much better than the previous staff. DJ has a strong arm and is mobile.
No disagreement of your description of Blouin; but I will point out that Ponder wasn't wanted by this staff until Blouin left. Regardless, let's hope we don't need our 3rd teamer.
RWR
Swell

DJ chose to pursue baseball and quickly realized he didn't have it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Griffin...has feet not of Mercury...but of cement !!!!..a true QB of the "coastal errosion" offense
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

I've talked to a couple of local media guys who seem to believe that either A) Powell is going to get at least a series per half B) As the season progresses we'll become more and more a 2 QB system. It's speculation on their part, but they've been to numerous practices and scrimmages and this is what they believe.
Wave QB
Swell

I really hope Griffin has a big year this season.
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:I've talked to a couple of local media guys who seem to believe that either A) Powell is going to get at least a series per half B) As the season progresses we'll become more and more a 2 QB system. It's speculation on their part, but they've been to numerous practices and scrimmages and this is what they believe.
I hope you are right because he sure didn't get in last night.
Robert1969
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: I hope you are right because he sure didn't get in last night.
Yeh, I was a bit perturbed by that. I think his feet could've added an extra dimension to the game with our running game failing. If he could've seen some action last night we might've seen different results. I know that coaches tend to respect a QB's tenure, and are often taken with senior-love when it comes to QB, but Powell has to see action every game to keep our opponents off balance. I don't think we should have a real two QB system, but he should get a drive each half. It might be that CJ doesn't want him to come in while we are behind. I can sympathize with the idea that we don't want a freshman to come on trying to play hero, but the game was close enough most of the night that he wouldn't have had hero pressure on him.
Wave QB
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:
Wave QB wrote: I hope you are right because he sure didn't get in last night.
Yeh, I was a bit perturbed by that. I think his feet could've added an extra dimension to the game with our running game failing. If he could've seen some action last night we might've seen different results. I know that coaches tend to respect a QB's tenure, and are often taken with senior-love when it comes to QB, but Powell has to see action every game to keep our opponents off balance. I don't think we should have a real two QB system, but he should get a drive each half. It might be that CJ doesn't want him to come in while we are behind. I can sympathize with the idea that we don't want a freshman to come on trying to play hero, but the game was close enough most of the night that he wouldn't have had hero pressure on him.
+1
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As I said elsewhere Powell is a great athlete w/a strong arm but there is a lot more to the QB position in D-1 than that. The coach has made it clear he's not nearly ready as he is far from understanding our complicated playbook. He'll be good in time but we can win this year w/Griffin and the staff wants to win. Powell will play and he will play more as the season goes on and he starts to get it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.