Aug 18th Fall Scimmage report

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It started as a somewhat cloudy but totally breezeless morning. If one wants to lose weight get out to practice. Players started trickling out at 8:30. Griffin and joseph threw to back and receivers from the south end zone while Powell and DJ threw from the 20 toward the south end zone. Later they did a pass drill where the QB would throw to one of the five players running routes. After he threw then others threw balls to the other 4. Meanwhile FG kickers used a holding apparatus and kicked from the sideline at the goal line through he uprights. Santos did pretty good. They then did 7 on 7's. Griffin is throwing well. Powell also threw well. Threw some w/nice touch too as that is something they are working on w/him. Santos then kicked off w/a nice one to the goal line.

The scrimmage started at 9:15. It was 1's v. 1's. On offense it was from left to right Donnelly,Paul,Henry,Mares and Jones. Skold is still out. Kelley started at RB but this changed almost every down w/him,Butler and Rounds getting a lot of reps w/the 1's. Strozier played today also. Thompson got reps w/the 2's.Marfisis and Tatford got most of the time at TE. The WR's also change in and out a lot w/Grant looking real good. Griffin started of course. On D it was Bryant, Welcome, Warmsley and Robinson but there was a lot of in and out there. Bailey played OLB along w/ at times either Robertson or Renaldo Thomas. Davis manned the middle. Batiste and Monroe were in the most w/the ones along w/Travis and Doss at times.Safeties rotated a good deal also. Shak, Davis,LeBeauall played w/the 1's.

They started from the 1 going north to south . On 1st down Kelley ran for 3. Butler then ran for 12. Grant caught a 10 yard pass followed by a Kelley run for 20. A pass to Kelley went for no gain and was followed by a catch by Strozier for 9. Butler ran for 11. Offsides offense. Kelley ran for 5 then the D was penalized for offsides. Bailey then tackled Butler for a 5 yard loss. Grant made a grest catch for 15. I think Grif was really throwing to a WR runing down the sideline who was well covered and it would have been incomplete but Grant was crossing that way and leaped high for the catch and landed on his feet and got some YAC. On 1st down Strozier ran for 8 and then Grif threw out of bounds. Davis then had a PBU. The 91 yard drive ended w/ a26 yd. FG by Santos that split the uprights.

The 2's came out. On offense from left to right it was Jaquet,Skidmore,Shienle Hanson and Uzdavinis.Powell at QB. Paul would also play w/the 2's at LG making for an all freshman left side. They also started at he 1 going north to south. On D it was Beckwith, Welcome, Williams, and Byrd. Lafrance also got a lot of time w/the 2's w/Byrd coming out. At LB it was Robertson outside w/Schmidt in the middle along w/Thomas. Both units at times went 4-2-5.Doss and Drell along w/ Lauricella were CB's. Parker and Kyle Davis along w/Lebeau were at safeties changng in and out.

A 1 yard gain was followed by Rounds for 6. Boutte caught for 12. An incompete was followed by a nice run by Rounds for 20-25. Then the O went offsides but the D immediately returned the favor. Pass to Boutte for 8 and then a no gainer. Cormadelle caught a a pass for 8 and a 1st down. Rounds up the middle for 5. Walker was called for interference on the next play. Bad call by the refs. Powell pulled it down and ran for 2. Rounds for 5 more. Pass to Marfisi for 5. There was PBU by Davis before Rounds ran for 2. Thompson ran for 1. Santos then ended the 98 yard drive w/a 19 yarder that again split the uprights.

Picerelli then punted a 30 yard wobbler which Ginsburg followed w/a beautiful 45 yarder. Powell then worked some w/ the ones.

Starting from the 35 going north to south Kelley went for 5. Good pressure caused Mares to be knocked into Powell who threw incomplete. Good pass and good catch to Grant down the left sideline for 45 yards. Shak blitzed from the right on the next play and Rounds went right for 5. Butler then ran for 10. Rounds went for 1 and then thee were two incompletions. Santos then kicked a 33 yarder to end the 55 yard drive.

Rome kicked off to the end zone on a nice kick.

The 2's came back out w/Ponder. Thompson went for no gain but then caught a pass for 3. Ponder then ran for a few. There was a holding penalty. Ponder then threw an interception right to Batiste.

They started w/Ponder agin from the 35. Edwards cught a slant in for 7 and Rounds ran for 5. Doss made the tackle. Another penalty on the offense. Beckwith then sacked Ponder. Z. Davis then made a nice interception. Lafrance got hit w/ 15 yard penalty for a hit in the back of Thompson on the int. return.

Punt drill had Picerelli punt for 40 followed by a wobbler for 35 by Ginburg.

The ones went in going 10 yards from the goal south to north. Butler for 2, then a 3 yd. pass to Tatford. Bailey then beat Jones for a sack.

Back at the 10 Kelley for 4 up the middle then Butler for 6 and a TD.

Offsides O-Line from the 10. Rounds for 6 and then another offsides on the O-Line. Then there were two incompletes.

Ponder went in. Bailey tackled Thompson for no gain but then Thompson went for 5. But there was holding penalty. Ponder threw incomplete to Rush who got reamed out by his coach for not turning around in time. It ended w/a 18 yard TD pass to Rounds.

On offense Grant and Rounds stood out. Of course Butler and Kelley did well too. Griffin was in control. Powell is young and certainly needs work but he has good size and really has a cannon for an arm. The ball just jumps out of his hand. I think he can be ready a lot quicker than one would think for a true freahman at that Position. Very encouraging. The O-Line looked better tan hoped for but the penalties have got to go.

On D Bailey and Zach Davis stood out. The D- lIne didn't hold up well. Batiste and Monroe look good at most times.

It's the end of camp and it was clear they are tired right now. But they clearly have improved from the spring. We can keep hoping for a good season. That's something we haven't been able to do in a long, long time.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Excellent Report. Thanks for the info. The biggest concern is the D-line and linebacker. Is Zach Davis the obvious choice to take over for Mackey? How was the team morale considering yesterdays bombshell?
AugWave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:Excellent Report. Thanks for the info. The biggest concern is the D-line and linebacker. Is Zach Davis the obvious choice to take over for Mackey? How was the team morale considering yesterdays bombshell?
I talked to a couple of my peeps and they seemed upbeat about it. Couldn't tell that it happened. Zach Davis definitely had a little pep in his step today (interception and some nice tackles). It's easy to say that our d-line is thin and needs more talent, but honestly, the offense was getting the ball out quickly. Had a couple hiccups, but overall the playcalling and scheme are MILES ahead of what Buffet Bob was putting out there. When it was time for the defense to put the clamps on, they put them on. Twice the offense drove the entire field and held them to a field goal. That kind of toughness is needed on defense. Our corners look solid even though they're young. D Powell is the QB of the future, has a rocket for an arm and hit RG with a nice deep ball with solid coverage. Coaches kept coaching. Ryan Griffin looked nice as well, but still has some brain farts where he holds onto the ball instead of throwing it away in the redzone. Coaches got on him about that. Let's just say, the next time, he threw it away.

Although this was Tulane vs. Tulane, I could def see improvement. I watched the scrimmages from the past (video... yeah, I got hook-ups :mrgreen: ) .... We are quicker, stronger and are getting coached up. Real talk.. no green goggles here.

I think the Kill system is gonna make our offense better. We look better. Now we just gotta execute on game day. When we hit the wall (which I believe we will) we have to keep grinding. Brighter days are ahead.. just gotta fight through the dark ones.. Peace
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Excellent Report. Thanks for the info. The biggest concern is the D-line and linebacker. Is Zach Davis the obvious choice to take over for Mackey? How was the team morale considering yesterdays bombshell?
Thanks. Logan Hamilton will probably end up there as he's out w/ a minor injury right now. It seemed like the D was a little down early but rallied late. CJ noted that w/the media afterwards.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for that report win, I feel like I was there!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

Excellent report Winwave. I pretty much agree with everything you stated based on what I saw today.

On offense, I felt better about the O-line than I expected. I thought they looked more athletic and stronger than the O-line looked at this time last year and may end up being a solid group. All 3 RBs look good. Butler looks bigger and Kelley seems more lean and a step quicker than last year. Rounds is the real deal. A healthy Darkwa would still clearly be the best RB, however the other 3 are good. Grant looks like he's really worked hard over the summer and is the only WR who really stood out today.

On defense, line looks shaky and we are seriously banged up at LB. Farley, Dejean, Hamilton and Oppman all sat out. Zach Davis looked good and I see him as the starter at MLB. He was 2nd string behind Mackey after the spring. Today's 2nd team LBs were weak due to all the injuries. The MLB was a very small walkon and Renaldo Thomas was playing weakside LB - not sure if that is because of the injuries or if it's a permanent move. The secondary will be much improved. I thought Doss looked just as good as Monroe and Batiste.

Overall, I feel like we're at best a 4 win team if coached by Scelfedo. Hopefully CJ can coach these guys up and maybe we can exceed expectations. One other comment is that I didn't feel the offensive scheme was as wide open as I expected and there wasn't the overall practice tempo today that others have indicated.
Last edited by greenphantom on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWR
Swell

winwave
Top of the WAVE

I should note that Darkwa was there.He was on crutches and has a boot on his left foot. He is putting weight on it and in fact walked at quite a normal clip. Hopefully he won't be out all that long after all.

Let me add that there were maybe a couple of hundred people there. Too bad the Team Shop wasn't open so fans could buy tickets and merchandise.
sader24
Tsunami

Outside of the lack of depth on the defensive front 7, I think the biggest factor in this season's success is going to be whether or not we can finish drives with TD's instead of FG's. Toledo's offenses would at times move the ball well in between the 30's but would constantly stall around the 25 and when inside the 10 would always find a way not to get into the end zone. Conversely the Saints have been the complete opposite. We are going to move the ball well in between the 20's, I think there is more than enough talent on offense and experience at QB to justify that assumption. The playcalling and execution inside the 30 is going to decide the season. Toledo always seemed to tighten up around the end zone from a playcalling aspect. I'm of the school of spreading them out even more when you get in the red zone.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
Thanks. Logan Hamilton will probably end up there as he's out w/ a minor injury right now. It seemed like the D was a little down early but rallied late. CJ noted that w/the media afterwards.
My bad on that. It will be Zach Davis. But we need Hamilton,DeJean and Oppman back.
DrBox
Riptide

We really weren't terrible in converting red zone appearances into TDs, just mediocre: We converted 21 of 36 for 58%. Tulsa, for example, converted 33/56 for 59% and SMU hit a td on 32/53 for 60%. Fellow bad teams UAB and UTEP converted 47% and 51%. Conference leader Houston was 67%.
The big problem, obviously is only 36 red zone appearances.
Power teams Stanford and Wisconsin had percentages of 78% and 90%. Maybe an improved running game will help.

A bigger problem was Red Zone Defense, where we ranked dead last in FBS football, allowing opponents to score in 58 of 59 red zone drives (you'd think kickers would at least shank a FG try once in a while). 44 of those scores were TDs, for a woeful 75%.
Dave breslin
Swell

Thanks for the report. Living in B R , I wouldn't knowthat TU had a team. I'm hoping that after CJ gets it going someone in our inept marketing department can get it together and get info out to the public.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote:Thanks for the report. Living in B R , I wouldn't knowthat TU had a team. I'm hoping that after CJ gets it going someone in our inept marketing department can get it together and get info out to the public.
Sure thing. Hopefully we'll be back on the air in BR this season. We were on their for a long time till last season.
Bigschtick
Riptide

AugWave wrote:
I talked to a couple of my peeps and they seemed upbeat about it. Couldn't tell that it happened. Zach Davis definitely had a little pep in his step today (interception and some nice tackles). It's easy to say that our d-line is thin and needs more talent, but honestly, the offense was getting the ball out quickly. Had a couple hiccups, but overall the playcalling and scheme are MILES ahead of what Buffet Bob was putting out there. When it was time for the defense to put the clamps on, they put them on. Twice the offense drove the entire field and held them to a field goal. That kind of toughness is needed on defense. Our corners look solid even though they're young. D Powell is the QB of the future, has a rocket for an arm and hit RG with a nice deep ball with solid coverage. Coaches kept coaching. Ryan Griffin looked nice as well, but still has some brain farts where he holds onto the ball instead of throwing it away in the redzone. Coaches got on him about that. Let's just say, the next time, he threw it away.

Although this was Tulane vs. Tulane, I could def see improvement. I watched the scrimmages from the past (video... yeah, I got hook-ups :mrgreen: ) .... We are quicker, stronger and are getting coached up. Real talk.. no green goggles here.

I think the Kill system is gonna make our offense better. We look better. Now we just gotta execute on game day. When we hit the wall (which I believe we will) we have to keep grinding. Brighter days are ahead.. just gotta fight through the dark ones.. Peace

Nice job Augwave and thanks to winwave too.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wave QB
Swell

AugWave wrote:

Good stuff. Devin Powell is going to be a beast!!!!!!!