Stadium Capacity ( 21K, 23K, 25K, 5K SRO ??? )

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What do u think the stadium will start out at and how much can it be expanded??

21,000 - 23,000 no expansion
7%
21,000 - 9,000 expanded
11%
25,000 - 10,000 expanded
45%
30,000 - 10,000 expanded
28%
35,000 - 5,000 expanded
5%
90,000 -10,000 expanded
4%

Total votes: 74
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Maybe some kind of a, say, 35,000 seat stadium would not be thought of as being unacceptably small at, say, Duke or Wake Forest or Vanderbilt. Yet what do those schools have in common? They're basketball schools that place a lot of emphasis on basketball and do big things in basketball season after season. What is TU going to be having, once this project is complete? A very, very small, by anyone's standard, football stadium as well as a very, very small basketball arena and a basketball program that counts it as a major success to finish a regular season with 17 wins (with a watered-down schedule) and a bid to some third-rate postseason tournament.

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:This was just posted on the other site by OGSB

WaveProf wrote:

Tinfoil hat people have continued to be consistent at saying 22.5

OGSB:
What makes them tinfoil hat people? I don't know what to believe but I've had a Tulane employee tell me 22.5 is accurate.
The people on that site suck unless they agree with your POV. You're the best.
So a long time poster who has clearly demonstrated over time that he is as much of as an insider as there can be in Tulane fandom holds no credibility w/you? You're the worst.
Ok pal, funny how you quote things from that site that fits your agenda and ignore things that don't. That's my only point. You're consistently bias and live in your own little world where you think you provide value to the discussion when in reality the vast majority of folks here view you as a caricature, but who knows, maybe I am wrong. :D

The worst part of it with you is the constant assumptions and just the constant negativity about everything, you really should consider dropping your TU fandom. Now everyone is paying a PSL, yet I donate pennies and have already been told I will have the option to sit on the home side or end zones. But who cares about facts, we have people looking at construction photos and determining seat totals. I for one, will actually wait until it opens (or god forbid at least after a few seats are actually installed) before establishing anything. But before you start your nonsense, I freely admit (and have many times) that anything is possible, I just hope someone holds them (RD/SC) accountable if they blatantly lied.

Just wasting my time with this guy, it's a sickness.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

2ndGenWave wrote:Isn't it a moot point? 22-28k is still in that smallest class of stadium.

30-35k seems acceptable for some B5 members like Duke and Washington State, but honestly high 30s to 45k seems like the magic number for real consideration. So the real question isn't how big is it, but how big can it be? Right?
Yes, expandability is the key. If they win and have demand, there will be options, but right now we are years away from building the fanbase to that level. It should have been bigger to start, but between the financial limitations and our horrible leadership, we get the current iteration. I just hope they don't screw up the gameday experience, in stadium experience and have the satellite parking functioning efficiently. We shall see, but I can't believe that RD's athletic department will not mess up a few things. Too many want to continually focus on the number of seats instead of putting their energy to asking TU about how this thing will actually function when it is built.
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

WaveProf wrote:

OGSB:
What makes them tinfoil hat people? I don't know what to believe but I've had a Tulane employee tell me 22.5 is accurate.
So a long time poster who has clearly demonstrated over time that he is as much of as an insider as there can be in Tulane fandom holds no credibility w/you? You're the worst.
Ok pal, funny how you quote things from that site that fits your agenda and ignore things that don't. That's my only point. You're consistently bias and live in your own little world where you think you provide value to the discussion when in reality the vast majority of folks here view you as a caricature, but who knows, maybe I am wrong. :D

The worst part of it with you is the constant assumptions and just the constant negativity about everything, you really should consider dropping your TU fandom. Now everyone is paying a PSL, yet I donate pennies and have already been told I will have the option to sit on the home side or end zones. But who cares about facts, we have people looking at construction photos and determining seat totals. I for one, will actually wait until it opens (or god forbid at least after a few seats are actually installed) before establishing anything. But before you start your nonsense, I freely admit (and have many times) that anything is possible, I just hope someone holds them (RD/SC) accountable if they blatantly lied.

Just wasting my time with this guy, it's a sickness.
No one is going to hold them responsible. That was up to Tulanians who failed. The media sees Tulane athletics the same way SC does. That it's small time and is being put in it's rightful place.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
2ndGenWave wrote:Isn't it a moot point? 22-28k is still in that smallest class of stadium.

30-35k seems acceptable for some B5 members like Duke and Washington State, but honestly high 30s to 45k seems like the magic number for real consideration. So the real question isn't how big is it, but how big can it be? Right?
Yes, expandability is the key. If they win and have demand, there will be options, but right now we are years away from building the fanbase to that level. It should have been bigger to start, but between the financial limitations and our horrible leadership, we get the current iteration. I just hope they don't screw up the gameday experience, in stadium experience and have the satellite parking functioning efficiently. We shall see, but I can't believe that RD's athletic department will not mess up a few things. Too many want to continually focus on the number of seats instead of putting their energy to asking TU about how this thing will actually function when it is built.

SC and Yvette Jones have both publicly stated that the most it can be expanded is by 6,000 seats.

The facts prove we are not years away . You want to believe that to justify your support of the POSS. We went 15 years w/out a winning season and by the end of 1998 we had close to 40,000 going. We hire RR and it continues to grow. We then had tha last 15 miserable years where we had crowds in 1-2,000 range and yet almost go 20,000 for a very minor bowl game. If we were to be in contention for the AAC championship this coming season we would have 35-40,000 that would go to games next year but they won't be able to b/c of small minded thinking.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wavedat wrote:
SC and Yvette Jones have both publicly stated that the most it can be expanded is by 6,000 seats.

The facts prove we are not years away . You want to believe that to justify your support of the POSS. We went 15 years w/out a winning season and by the end of 1998 we had close to 40,000 going. We hire RR and it continues to grow. We then had tha last 15 miserable years where we had crowds in 1-2,000 range and yet almost go 20,000 for a very minor bowl game. If we were to be in contention for the AAC championship this coming season we would have 35-40,000 that would go to games next year but they won't be able to b/c of small minded thinking.
This is all correct and backed up by a trail of historical facts. If Tanner Lee is what we hope, Yulman could very well be too small by the end of this season.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

RD publicly stated it was 27k seats, that didn't suit your POV, but when they talk about expandability estimates that suits your agenda, then they are truth talkers. Same with the other site, one person talks seating that suits your agenda then others talk about expandability that doesn't suit your agenda and what do you know you quote the former and ignore the later. Seriously, what's the point of dealing with you. Need to keep you on ignore, like so many others on this site.

1998 was a long time ago and that was an undefeated team. By 1999 we were right back to nothing. I suppose you will quote LSU games next.

No one who supported the stadium on this site has ever said that they are happy with the current size, accept maybe GreenWave. But you keep making up your own reality. You just don't understand simple concepts, on a NET basis myself and many others are excited to return to campus with this stadium. You, Fred and JJ are not because of the design. Congrats, I just wish you would STFU about it. Or at least give us a few weeks of talking about things that can actually be impacted or are enjoyable as a fan (e.g games, recruiting etc). It's just constant misery with you.

Wasting my time, about 5 or 6 people on this site even read these discussions at this point.
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

RD publicly stated it was 27k seats, that didn't suit your POV, but when they talk about expandability estimates that suits your agenda, then they are truth talkers. Same with the other site, one person talks seating that suits your agenda then others talk about expandability that doesn't suit your agenda and what do you know you quote the former and ignore the later. Seriously, what's the point of dealing with you. Need to keep you on ignore, like so many others on this site.

1998 was a long time ago and that was an undefeated team. By 1999 we were right back to nothing. I suppose you will quote LSU games next.

No one who supported the stadium on this site has ever said that they are happy with the current size, accept maybe GreenWave. But you keep making up your own reality. You just don't understand simple concepts, on a NET basis myself and many others are excited to return to campus with this stadium. You, Fred and JJ are not because of the design. Congrats, I just wish you would STFU about it. Or at least give us a few weeks of talking about things that can actually be impacted or are enjoyable as a fan (e.g games, recruiting etc). It's just constant misery with you.

Wasting my time, about 5 or 6 people on this site even read these discussions at this point.
The facts are that just knowing the space it was intended to be built on people like I knew it would be too small. Now seeing the stadium as construction is far along it's obvious to anyone who can be hones that has seen it in person and/or looked at the photos that it's not going to seat 27k. As for expansion again loking at it now most would believe the most it can be expanded is by about 6,000. As for the "I'm just happy to be on campus" mentality that's why Tulane athletics is the mess it is. Do you not realize how selfish and small that thought process is. There is nothing that can be impacted that will affect the negative impact the POSS will have on the program.
JDTulane
Riptide

76 pages :roll: You guys need hobbies. We'll know the capacity in a few months and nothing now will change it. Stop wasting the front page space by continuously bumping this crap.
waveprof
Ripple

Just to clear up the fact that I was half quoted on this site, my full quote was this:
They've [the administration] been consistent in saying 30K for a while

Time will tell. My money says somewhere between the two [numbers] with seats, 30K with standing area/beer garden
While I do make the disparaging remark about people who act like it's definitely 22.5, I'm equally aware that TU is playing linguistic pool with capacity/seating to hide the fact that it will have less seats than they've implied.

Not trying to really enter this debate over here, and feel free to attack my quote as much as you want, but I at least didn't want a half quote to define what I was saying. I was trying to imply that people with opposite agendas are both trying to overstate their cause, and that I think it will fall out somewhere in the middle. Where in the middle, we shall see.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Good to see someone who's in the group who thinks highly of this project admit that the TU powers-who-are are playing with their wording.

TU, under Cowen and Rick Dickson, is not looking at least in some cases to try to fool people? Sure...they would never do that. :roll:

The question is about why they're playing with their wording and at least part of the answer is that they're obviously very sensitive about something.

Whatever the seating -- and I'll bet that the TU powers-who-are will never say exactly what the seating is -- the stadium is still going to be pretty doggone small and anyone with eyes can see that for themselves and Cowen and Dickson know that perfectly well.

Look, though, even if you're talking 27,000 seating, you're still talking about one of the smallest stadiums in Div. I FBS, and every day that passes and people can see what's happening for themselves the number who are still wiling to buy into even that number as a possibility becomes smaller.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:

WaveProf wrote:

OGSB:

He post on this site too.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

WaveProf wrote:

OGSB:

He post on this site too.
Started drinking early I see, I guess it's tourney time so why not.
wavedat
Swell

See his latest post inthe uno game thread.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:See his latest post inthe uno game thread.
You mean his third post EVER. I don;t even understand your point, so what?
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
It was his 669th post. Must be off your meds if you can't figure it out.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
So, am I supposed to care about this? Also, I hate the grammar police, but jeez.
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
So, am I supposed to care about this? Also, I hate the grammar police, but jeez.
Clearly you care. We agree on the grammer police. It's the internet. who cares. Oh you do when losing an argument.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Clearly you care. We agree on the grammer police. It's the internet. who cares. Oh you do when losing an argument.
Pal, you need to grow up. I really don't care. You won an argument about the fact that there is a guy posting on both sites, are you freakin serious.
wavedat
Swell

You need to come out of denial b/c you clearly care.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:You need to come out of denial b/c you clearly care.
Wow, just wow. You have out down yourself with this thread.
wavedat
Swell

Kushner says

"Scott Kushner: I walk by the stadium several times per week and it's definitely coming along and really starting to look like the stadium. The video board is bigger than the one at the Superdome, I think. Lights went up yesterday. I've spoken to a few construction workers around the site on my walks and they all feel pretty confident that it's moving very quickly (though I don't think they know much). It's going to be a nice stadium, but it is very, very small for a college football stadium."

Here comes an mba meltdown 3,2 ,1 ...
JDTulane
Riptide

Why would MBA have a meltdown? We all agree its small.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Ted Lewis column in the New Orleans Advocate

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... s-likely-a

A fairly and surprisingly generous or, shall I say, friendly analysis of the stadium project, especially considering the source who used to be anything but friendly to the TU cause.

How the media have changed. Hmmm.

There are few things to take from this piece, but here's an intriguing nugget.
In fact, the focus of the stadium is on amenities, not capacity, which ranges from 22,000 to 30,000 depending on who’s doing the counting.

Which, in Tulane’s case, is smart thinking.

Those inclined to support the Wave these days tend to be folks who are willing to pay extra for things like chairback seats over bleachers and reserved parking.

So they’re the initial target audience, just as is the case for any college or pro team.
The average fan — especially those whose support has waned if not disappeared over years marked mostly by lack of success — is a tougher sell. So the 12,000 seats that do not require a donation should more than suffice for now, although Dickson said almost 1,000 season tickets in those areas have been sold in the first week they were offered.
From this a few things can be deduced regarding the actual seating (that TU seems to want to be so very coy about).

So here you go....

5,000 seats or so (isn't that about correct?) whose season ticket purchase comes attached with a requirement of a special donation of some sort.

Around 4-5,000 seats or so for students in the end zone.

And then 12,000 seats left (from what Ted Lewis is saying here) whose season ticket purchase does not come with a requirement to fork out a special donation.

So there you are -- roughly 22,000 seating.
Ripple

I know I'm bumping an old thread -- but I was on campus for the first time in about 4-5 years and got a chance to walk by the stadium construction site.

It is small, but it's absolutely an equal size footprint to Nippert Stadium at the University of Cincinnati -- and THAT stadium is one of the best places in America to watch a football game and absolutely not considered a barrier to their eventual inclusion to a power conference.