Stadium Capacity ( 21K, 23K, 25K, 5K SRO ??? )

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What do u think the stadium will start out at and how much can it be expanded??

21,000 - 23,000 no expansion
7%
21,000 - 9,000 expanded
11%
25,000 - 10,000 expanded
45%
30,000 - 10,000 expanded
28%
35,000 - 5,000 expanded
5%
90,000 -10,000 expanded
4%

Total votes: 74
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Please, inform me. Does Benson own the Superdome or does the State of Louisiana own it?

I have always heard that Tulane has carte blanche w/r/t the Superdome, due to how integral it was in the creation of the Dome.
The building and land is owned by the state. But Benson owns all the revenues from the Dome, and the state picks up all the expenses.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

“For 40 years there hasn’t been a single athletic director [who has] said, ‘This is our parking revenue budget, this what we sold in merchandise, this is what we sold in concessions, this is what we sold in advertising and those are significant revenues,’” Dickson said.
JJ, in your haste to find fault in everything, you've completely twisted his words. If you look at it, what he says is that there are NO athletic directors that see parking, merchandise, concessions, etc, as significant revenues.

Basically, "NO AD" sees "THESE ITEMS" as "SIGNIFICANT REVENUES". Think back to the old elementary school days where we were actually taught to diagram sentences.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Please, inform me. Does Benson own the Superdome or does the State of Louisiana own it?

I have always heard that Tulane has carte blanche w/r/t the Superdome, due to how integral it was in the creation of the Dome.
The building and land is owned by the state. But Benson owns all the revenues from the Dome, and the state picks up all the expenses.
This is true. That was one of the agreements made in the last lease Benson signed. The Saints get all concessions, parking etc for the Dome. Good thing he owns the Pelicans, because the Superdome parking garage is the main parking area for the Arena as well. Another owner would lose out on that revenue.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

TPS I love ya but you are wrong on this . That article you always reference in reality reflects that on SAINT'S GAME DAYS BENSON GETS ALL THE REVENUES. I have posted the article numerous times that shows the teams in the HS kick-off classic get revenues from parking, concesssions,et al.Tulane chose the low cost lease. Tulane could have negotiated for revenue from all of that if they chose to. With our lack of success the low cost lease was best for us. If we ever became successful and stayed there we would have been in a position to renegotiate and get those revenues. If what you say is true no other event would take place there-HS championships, Essence,Bayou Classic,Sugar and NOLA Bowls and on and on.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Tim I love ya but you are wrong on this . That article you always reference in reality reflects that on SAINT'S GAME DAYS BENSON GETS ALL THE REVENUES. I have posted the article numerous times that shows the teams in the HS kick-off classic get revenues from parking, concesssions,et al.Tulane chose the low cost lease. Tulane could have negotiated for revenue from all of that if they chose to. With our lack of success the low cost lease was best for us. If we ever became successful and stayed there we would have been in a position to renegotiate and get those revenues. If what you say is true no other event would take place there-HS championships, Essence,Bayou Classic,Sugar and NOLA Bowls and on and on.
winwave, now that you mention it, I think you are correct. Wasn't our lease based somewhow on our attendance as well? If we drew more, then it would cost us more? I don't remember the details now. Although I do think as far as parking and suites, Benson gets it all, for all events.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Tim I love ya but you are wrong on this . That article you always reference in reality reflects that on SAINT'S GAME DAYS BENSON GETS ALL THE REVENUES. I have posted the article numerous times that shows the teams in the HS kick-off classic get revenues from parking, concesssions,et al.Tulane chose the low cost lease. Tulane could have negotiated for revenue from all of that if they chose to. With our lack of success the low cost lease was best for us. If we ever became successful and stayed there we would have been in a position to renegotiate and get those revenues. If what you say is true no other event would take place there-HS championships, Essence,Bayou Classic,Sugar and NOLA Bowls and on and on.
winwave, now that you mention it, I think you are correct. Wasn't our lease based somewhow on our attendance as well? If we drew more, then it would cost us more? I don't remember the details now. Although I do think as far as parking and suites, Benson gets it all, for all events.
Robert you are right about it being attendance based. However, as I said I posted the article on the HS teams getting that revenue and that deal was cut 2 years ago. Benson gets it all on SAINTS GAME DAYS ONLY.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Oh yeah I forgot, Benson gets $60MM from Mercedes Benz for naming rights to.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here's that thread again
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2248&start=0
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Oh yeah I forgot, Benson gets $60MM from Mercedes Benz for naming rights to.
I wonder if he takes it in inventory credits? :D
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
“For 40 years there hasn’t been a single athletic director [who has] said, ‘This is our parking revenue budget, this what we sold in merchandise, this is what we sold in concessions, this is what we sold in advertising and those are significant revenues,’” Dickson said.
JJ, in your haste to find fault in everything, you've completely twisted his words. If you look at it, what he says is that there are NO athletic directors that see parking, merchandise, concessions, etc, as significant revenues.

Basically, "NO AD" sees "THESE ITEMS" as "SIGNIFICANT REVENUES". Think back to the old elementary school days where we were actually taught to diagram sentences.
I think you are reading that wrong. Dickson is clearly excited about those revenues.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This just goes to show how stupid this whole thing is. Dickson's comments suggest that Benson keeps the parking and concessions revenue and that keeping that revenue (plus whatever other revenue streams) would net Tulane $6M/year.

Let's take a step back and imagine a scenario where Tom Benson isn't senile and Cowen and Dickson are minimally competent. Cowen has Tom Benson spend/invest $40M (!!!!!! YES $40M!!!!) into Tulane Athletics. Instead of Yulman, Tulane has the Tom Benson Football Center that's as nice as whatever Oregon and Nebraska just unveilled. Cowen and Benson let the Big 12 and ACC know that with the Superdome and the Benson Center that Tulane intends to have the finest facilities in college sports and CJ is going to build a top 25 program and with comparable faciliites. With a P5 invite coming, CJ swings a Leonard Fournette into signing with NOLA version of "THE U".

The Big 12 starts fighting with the ACC over who can add Tulane at the next round of realignment. Tulane is on track to receive $19M/year in TV revenue and Benson all of a sudden starts making that same $6M/year by keeping Tulane in the Superdome. Benson's investment is paid back in ~6 years (at that $6M/year) and he's got a Big 12 program in the building where he controls revenue. Tulane has a paid-for football facility, a sweetheart lease in an NFL dome and a P5 conference affiliation worth $20M/year in TV money and $50M/year in brand equity. And not only that, Tulane probably increases ticket sales to the tune of around $5M or $6M anyway on top of everything else.

Instead, Yulman was the option where everyone loses. And that includes Benson, who just paid $5M to lose potential revenue.
GreenLantern
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:This just goes to show how stupid this whole thing is. Dickson's comments suggest that Benson keeps the parking and concessions revenue and that keeping that revenue (plus whatever other revenue streams) would net Tulane $6M/year.

Let's take a step back and imagine a scenario where Tom Benson isn't senile and Cowen and Dickson are minimally competent. Cowen has Tom Benson spend/invest $40M (!!!!!! YES $40M!!!!) into Tulane Athletics. Instead of Yulman, Tulane has the Tom Benson Football Center that's as nice as whatever Oregon and Nebraska just unveilled. Cowen and Benson let the Big 12 and ACC know that with the Superdome and the Benson Center that Tulane intends to have the finest facilities in college sports and CJ is going to build a top 25 program and with comparable faciliites. With a P5 invite coming, CJ swings a Leonard Fournette into signing with NOLA version of "THE U".

The Big 12 starts fighting with the ACC over who can add Tulane at the next round of realignment. Tulane is on track to receive $19M/year in TV revenue and Benson all of a sudden starts making that same $6M/year by keeping Tulane in the Superdome. Benson's investment is paid back in ~6 years (at that $6M/year) and he's got a Big 12 program in the building where he controls revenue. Tulane has a paid-for football facility, a sweetheart lease in an NFL dome and a P5 conference affiliation worth $20M/year in TV money and $50M/year in brand equity. And not only that, Tulane probably increases ticket sales to the tune of around $5M or $6M anyway on top of everything else.

Instead, Yulman was the option where everyone loses. And that includes Benson, who just paid $5M to lose potential revenue.
Great post, JJ !! This would play well as a voiceover to John Lennon's "Imagine".
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:This just goes to show how stupid this whole thing is. Dickson's comments suggest that Benson keeps the parking and concessions revenue and that keeping that revenue (plus whatever other revenue streams) would net Tulane $6M/year.

Great post, JJ !! This would play well as a voiceover to John Lennon's "Imagine".
You are so welcome.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Oh yeah I forgot, Benson gets $60MM from Mercedes Benz for naming rights to.

No F!@K!ng way. The owner of the building, not a tenant, gets money for the naming rights.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

You are so welcome.
What a great fantasy. Fantasy being the key word.

A program with no following and hasn't had a winning season in a decade had zero appeal to a Big 12 or ACC. There's many better positioned universities way ahead in the line. IF (and again that's a HUGE IF) we ever get to the point of having higher demand than Yulman can accomodate, then, and only then, will Tulane be a highly sought after P5 candidate.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:

A program with no following and hasn't had a winning season in a decade had zero appeal to a Big 12 or ACC. There's many better positioned universities way ahead in the line. IF (and again that's a HUGE IF) we ever get to the point of having higher demand than Yulman can accomodate, then, and only then, will Tulane be a highly sought after P5 candidate.
You don't understand the difference between reality and fantasy. If the past is so relevant, why don't we use our SEC championships on our resume to the Big 12? Because that doesn't matter. Just like Miami's and TCU's past as doormats are no longer relevant.

Back to reality. Barring a significant collapse, Tulane will have a winning record this season. Tulane is likely to win 8 games and very possibly 9, and with a very young team that will undoubtedly be better over the next two years, Tulane might even be a preseason favorite to win the AAC inaugural season. As of today, the composite ratings have us higher than every returning AAC program other than UCF and Houston.

And if things continue down this path, you are going to have your "a-ha" moment on the fanbase pretty soon. See the thread titled "Tulane taking over the city". viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4675. The only person living in fantasy world is the one who thinks Tulane's attendance will be 2500.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

You don't understand the difference between reality and fantasy. If the past is so relevant, why don't we use our SEC championships on our resume to the Big 12? Because that doesn't matter. Just like Miami's and TCU's past as doormats are no longer relevant.

Back to reality. Barring a significant collapse, Tulane will have a winning record this season. Tulane is likely to win 8 games and very possibly 9, and with a very young team that will undoubtedly be better over the next two years, Tulane might even be a preseason favorite to win the AAC inaugural season. As of today, the composite ratings have us higher than every returning AAC program other than UCF and Houston.

And if things continue down this path, you are going to have your "a-ha" moment on the fanbase pretty soon. See the thread titled "Tulane taking over the city". viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4675. The only person living in fantasy world is the one who thinks Tulane's attendance will be 2500.
2500 was the actual # of bodies at Tulane's biggest game in 10 years. I wish I was wrong on this, but there's no way in hell Tulane will have more demand than supply for all home games at a 25k-30k stadium in the next two or three years.

We're a LONG LONG LONG way from being a top 25 program. Your argument in the second sentence of your post is exactly my point! There's nothing in Tulane's history that people living TODAY are drawn to from a football standpoint. A few flags in front lawns is encouraging. 20k actual bodies at a game other than LSU (or another regional opponent that outdraws Tulane in the Dome) would be a downright miracle.

Let's bet this: If Tulane hosts the CUSA championship game, I bet there's less than 30k in the Dome. That would include a big crowd from the visiting team. I don't think it happens. You are absolutely, positively convinced they'd have to open the upper levels. I think that's a HUGE fantasy.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: 2500 was the actual # of bodies at Tulane's biggest game in 10 years. I wish I was wrong on this, but there's no way in hell Tulane will have more demand than supply for all home games at a 25k-30k stadium in the next two or three years.

We're a LONG LONG LONG way from being a top 25 program. Your argument in the second sentence of your post is exactly my point! There's nothing in Tulane's history that people living TODAY are drawn to from a football standpoint. A few flags in front lawns is encouraging. 20k actual bodies at a game other than LSU (or another regional opponent that outdraws Tulane in the Dome) would be a downright miracle.

Let's bet this: If Tulane hosts the CUSA championship game, I bet there's less than 30k in the Dome. That would include a big crowd from the visiting team. I don't think it happens. You are absolutely, positively convinced they'd have to open the upper levels. I think that's a HUGE fantasy.
1) We might be 2 or 3 weeks from reaching your "miracle" of 20K actual bodies. Needless to say, if it happens within a month, I think we can safely remove it from the "miracle" category.

2) If this path continues, Tulane will be top 25 within 2 years.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote: 2500 was the actual # of bodies at Tulane's biggest game in 10 years. I wish I was wrong on this, but there's no way in hell Tulane will have more demand than supply for all home games at a 25k-30k stadium in the next two or three years.

1) We might be 2 or 3 weeks from reaching your "miracle" of 20K actual bodies. Needless to say, if it happens within a month, I think we can safely remove it from the "miracle" category.

2) If this path continues, Tulane will be top 25 within 2 years.

1) There's a huge difference between Actual bodies vs. announced attendance (ticket sales). If somehow, without a marketing budget, they rally the community to get 20k ACTUAL attendees, I'll be impressed. But I won't go by announced attendance.

2) Don't forget the ridiculous schedule we're playing and the good fortunes that have fallen our way. They include multiple starting QB's going down, 14 point swings due to turnovers (which always used to go the other way) and on and on. I'd say 7-5 next year would be a step up from whatever win total this team generates. We're simply not that good. 52-17 at a weak Syracuse should give you a little insight, as should the loss to S. Alabama.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert1969
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
2500 was the actual # of bodies at Tulane's biggest game in 10 years.
Source?
JDTulane
Riptide

I dont agree with 2500.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

No F!@K!ng way. The owner of the building, not a tenant, gets money for the naming rights.
$400 million in revenue for Mr Benson.... (including $60 mill from Merc Benz)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexande ... ith-state/
In October 2011, Mercedes-Benz signed a 10-year agreement worth $50-$60 million to call the Saints stadium the “Mercedes-Benz Superdome,”. Under the terms of the lease, the Saints get all of the money from the naming-rights deal.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

TPS I love ya but you are wrong on this . That article you always reference in reality reflects that on SAINT'S GAME DAYS BENSON GETS ALL THE REVENUES. I have posted the article numerous times that shows the teams in the HS kick-off classic get revenues from parking, concesssions,et al.Tulane chose the low cost lease. Tulane could have negotiated for revenue from all of that if they chose to. With our lack of success the low cost lease was best for us. If we ever became successful and stayed there we would have been in a position to renegotiate and get those revenues. If what you say is true no other event would take place there-HS championships, Essence,Bayou Classic,Sugar and NOLA Bowls and on and on.
Jeff, Forbes article quoting the Dome's director of business operations....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexande ... h-state/2/
Benson also collects all revenue from non-football events at the Superdome, according to Evan Holmes, director of business operations for the Superdome. That revenue stream, an estimated $5 million a year, does not get divided with other owners in the league.
“He’s pretty savvy in terms of figuring out how to maximize his revenue at somebody else’s expense, which is the business of being a sports owner these days,” deMause said. “Whether you consider that to make him a great businessman or a supervillain depends on your perspective.”
Tulane Class of 1981
Green Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

In October 2011, Mercedes-Benz signed a 10-year agreement worth $50-$60 million to call the Saints stadium the “Mercedes-Benz Superdome,”. Under the terms of the lease, the Saints get all of the money from the naming-rights deal.
That is not entirely correct.

NAMING RIGHTS SOLD TO SUPERDOME
October 6, 2011
Copyright 2011 MediaVentures

New Orleans, La. - The New Orleans Times Picayune said the New Orleans Saints and Mercedes-Benz have reached a 10-year naming rights agreement that will turn the 36-year-old Louisiana Superdome into the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The deal is worth between $50 million and $60 million, according to sources who talked with the newspaper.

The announcement comes slightly more than six years after Hurricane Katrina tore the roof off the stadium as it was being used as a shelter by thousands of New Orleanians. A massive renovation allowed the stadium to reopen for the 2006 NFL season, and the building has been improved every off-season with the final touches of the $336 million project completed in August. According to Saints officials, it's a new stadium that is better than any in the country.

The stadium's profile will be raised as it hosts three national sporting events in the next 16 months: January's BCS championship game, April's men's Final Four and in February 2013, the Super Bowl. Those events and the success and stature of the building's primary tenant - the Saints - helped persuade Mercedes-Benz to sign on, the newspaper said.

As part of the Saints' 15-year lease extension with the state that was signed in 2009, the Saints were allowed to negotiate a naming rights deal on behalf of the state with the proceeds from the sale going toward any subsidies the state would have had to pay the Saints.

According to the current lease agreement, the Saints get the first $1 million of net revenue from the naming rights deal, with a 50-50 split between the team and the state of the remaining revenue, although the state's share is in credits toward the subsidy payments, not cash.

While the state won't actually reap any cash from the sale of the naming rights, the Times Picayune said the new revenue streams from the renovation and naming rights sale reduced the state's financial obligation to the Saints based on a sliding scale.

And because it appears the Saints will reach their goal of at least $12.5 million in new revenue, the state is off the hook, the newspaper said.
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Green Wave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

That is not entirely correct.

NAMING RIGHTS SOLD TO SUPERDOME
October 6, 2011
Copyright 2011 MediaVentures

New Orleans, La. - The New Orleans Times Picayune said the New Orleans Saints and Mercedes-Benz have reached a 10-year naming rights agreement that will turn the 36-year-old Louisiana Superdome into the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The deal is worth between $50 million and $60 million, according to sources who talked with the newspaper.

The announcement comes slightly more than six years after Hurricane Katrina tore the roof off the stadium as it was being used as a shelter by thousands of New Orleanians. A massive renovation allowed the stadium to reopen for the 2006 NFL season, and the building has been improved every off-season with the final touches of the $336 million project completed in August. According to Saints officials, it's a new stadium that is better than any in the country.

The stadium's profile will be raised as it hosts three national sporting events in the next 16 months: January's BCS championship game, April's men's Final Four and in February 2013, the Super Bowl. Those events and the success and stature of the building's primary tenant - the Saints - helped persuade Mercedes-Benz to sign on, the newspaper said.

As part of the Saints' 15-year lease extension with the state that was signed in 2009, the Saints were allowed to negotiate a naming rights deal on behalf of the state with the proceeds from the sale going toward any subsidies the state would have had to pay the Saints.

According to the current lease agreement, the Saints get the first $1 million of net revenue from the naming rights deal, with a 50-50 split between the team and the state of the remaining revenue, although the state's share is in credits toward the subsidy payments, not cash.

While the state won't actually reap any cash from the sale of the naming rights, the Times Picayune said the new revenue streams from the renovation and naming rights sale reduced the state's financial obligation to the Saints based on a sliding scale.

And because it appears the Saints will reach their goal of at least $12.5 million in new revenue, the state is off the hook, the newspaper said.
It's worth $60 million to Benson no matter how you want to try to spin it.
Tulane Class of 1981