Stadium Capacity ( 21K, 23K, 25K, 5K SRO ??? )

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

What do u think the stadium will start out at and how much can it be expanded??

21,000 - 23,000 no expansion
7%
21,000 - 9,000 expanded
11%
25,000 - 10,000 expanded
45%
30,000 - 10,000 expanded
28%
35,000 - 5,000 expanded
5%
90,000 -10,000 expanded
4%

Total votes: 74
WaveRollin92
High Tide

TURVS71 wrote:Sader, of course, you and I disagree on the OCS.....I am not happy about the information flying around about the capacity, believe me, I want to see as large a stadium as possible. The problem I have is that you seem to be so absolutely certain that "things" won't work. We don't know what expansion plans are in a vault somewhere. I would believe that they are there. The Admin. is not going to talk about that now for fear of upsetting the neighborhood and frankly, with our history, talk of expansion now is foolish. I know space is limited but with constantly developing construction techniques, who knows what can happen. You seem certain it can't. Also, you are positive that the "shuttles" won't work. Again, how can you be positive of this . You are positive that the tailgating scenario won't work. There will be problems probably but they can be worked out. Your passion is great and needed. I just don't understand how you can be so overly certain that nothing will work. To have an opinion is great. To believe that your opinion is fact is what is confusing.

The ONLY way that this thing does not get built is if someone of importance steps in between now and the end of the year. Site prep is scheduled to start immediately after the Superbowl as our facilities are being used for, I believe, the AFC team. The clock is ticking......
+1 National Championship win

w
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I understand there is the possibility that maybe there are expansion plans being kept under wraps. However, I've seen nothing from Cowen or Dickson in 15 years to make me think this is the case. As a matter of fact, Cowen's half hearted response to the expansion question pretty much assures me he has no plans for expansion. Also, when you're planning a stadium that hasnt even started construction and everyone is saying we need to expand a non-existing structure you know there is a problem.
What's going to happen is this: the new stadium will open in 2014 or thereabouts and President Cowen will "do a victory lap" and then he'll start preparing to retire and it's all going to fall into someone else's lap.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Ray
Surge

Fred Dowler wrote:
sader24 wrote:I understand there is the possibility that maybe there are expansion plans being kept under wraps. However, I've seen nothing from Cowen or Dickson in 15 years to make me think this is the case. As a matter of fact, Cowen's half hearted response to the expansion question pretty much assures me he has no plans for expansion. Also, when you're planning a stadium that hasnt even started construction and everyone is saying we need to expand a non-existing structure you know there is a problem.
What's going to happen is this: the new stadium will open in 2014 or thereabouts and President Cowen will "do a victory lap" and then he'll start preparing to retire and it's all going to fall into someone else's lap.
When he does exit, it'll probably be better for all of us. He will not be missed.
msdos
Swell

Ray wrote: When he does exit, it'll probably be better for all of us. He will not be missed.
At that point, when we play in the smallest stadium in a shittier c-usa, the damage will already be irreparable.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Not sure how much standing room this stadium will have, but for initial seating capacity, I am hearing 21,500.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
waveclem
Surge

I swear whenever i see them at another sporting event i will heckle them until either they leave or i get kicked out. It will be a scene that i will not be proud of later.
msdos
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Not sure how much standing room this stadium will have, but for initial seating capacity, I am hearing 21,500.
pretty strong source?
sader24
Tsunami

Somebody has to stop this stadium. From what I've heard over the last week, everything bad that's ever been posted about this stadium is true and I hadn't even heard the 21,500 number. 21,500 is a FCS size stadium. It's complete program suicide. They need to build an IPF and put the stadium on the back burner.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

msdos wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:Not sure how much standing room this stadium will have, but for initial seating capacity, I am hearing 21,500.
pretty strong source?
Yes.
Roll Wave!
sader24
Tsunami

Considering the 25K with 5K SRO was before we downgraded the plans by $10 million I would venture to say that it makes alot of sense. $50 million out of $60 million is around 85%. 21,500 out of 25,000 is around 85%. Seems logical. UVA is building a 78,000 square foot IPF for $13 million. That would leave around $37 million to put towards a new 7,000 seat basketball arena, an Academic Center for Athletes, or the Football Excellence Fund.
msdos
Swell

my god, when will support for this travesty end?
RWR
Swell

Thanks for the info. Steve. Anyone that knows Steve knows he is as honest as they come and if he says it comes from a good source then it must be. This follows on the heels of a poster elsewhere who said he saw the plans and it only seated this many and that included suite seats. Even before that we had a poster months ago say they were told it would only seat 22k. People really need to get their heads out of the sand on this. What a shame to see it end this way when we have a coach that has given us reaon to continue following the program.
Wave QB
Swell

I am going to every home game. I really don't have a problem with this stadium being built. Students need to feel that " gameday " vibe on campus. We need to prove that a 30k or 23k stadium is far to small for Green Wave fans buy packing it every single home game.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave QB wrote:I am going to every home game. I really don't have a problem with this stadium being built. Students need to feel that " gameday " vibe on campus. We need to prove that a 30k or 23k stadium is far to small for Green Wave fans buy packing it every single home game.
No. Only a fool needs to spend $50M to prove the basic laws of supply and demand. The economics of college football are well understood.
JerseyWave
Riptide

So the announced attendance against Rutgers was over 26,000. Thats just a few days after a hurricane where people left town or are in recovery mode. Without Issac announced attendance could have been over 30,000. Rutgers is a northeast team that doesn't travel well. If Tulane played a Southern team with fans that could drive to the game that puts more people in the seats. Already, Cow/Dick Stadium would have been woefully inadequate capacity wise for the opener under normal weather conditions.
msdos
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:So the announced attendance against Rutgers was over 26,000. Thats just a few days after a hurricane where people left town or are in recovery mode. Without Issac announced attendance could have been over 30,000. Rutgers is a northeast team that doesn't travel well. If Tulane played a Southern team with fans that could drive to the game that puts more people in the seats. Already, Cow/Dick Stadium would have been woefully inadequate capacity wise for the opener under normal weather conditions.
It was about 9-10k actual
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Obviously, the number was exaggerated. Only Tulane would be so stupid as to release an attendance number that would make their own stadium plan look ill-conceived.

I asked my friend (Rutgers grad) for his impression on attendance based on what we could see on TV and he said 2K. He made a joke about enough empty seats and Clint Eastwood having a field day on Twitter and it got retweeted a few times, so we are still the butt of jokes there. When I told him the "announced" attendance was 26K, he laughed.

Even 8k-10k is a joke given the excitement around CJ. The "market" has simply quit on the Cowen/Dickson regime and any message they send. Not only is a Cowen/Dickson-planned stadium untenable, but we're at the point where the continued employment/leadership of Cowen/Dickson is untenable. People have collectively quit on their vision for Tulane.

The emperor has no clothes.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:Obviously, the number was exaggerated. Only Tulane would be so stupid as to release an attendance number that would make their own stadium plan look ill-conceived.
Well put JJ. I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.
Roll Wave!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Obviously, the number was exaggerated. Only Tulane would be so stupid as to release an attendance number that would make their own stadium plan look ill-conceived.
Well put JJ. I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.
When it's time to force Cowen out before construction is allowed to commence, they will have provided the ammunition themselves. If a team on an 11 game losing streak draws 26K, how on earth can you claim a 30K capacity (with a real capacity of 25k or less) to be a wise plan?

I will never underestimate this group's ability to prove their own incompetence.
sader24
Tsunami

Looked like 12-13K to me, of course after halftime about 2K students headed for the exits b/c they are the worst.
Show Me
Tsunami

I walked to the Rutgers side to get a better view, looked around 8-9K to me. Ole Miss will be our best crowd.
sader24
Tsunami

Ole Miss might be our best total crowd, but last night will likely be our best Tulane crowd unless we get on a roll.
RWR
Swell

Ole Miss crowd will be our biggest but 11 AM start hurts that crowd big time. Don't need to worry about students leaving at half time as there won't be many there to begin with at that time.
JDTulane
Riptide

Not even I can support a 21k stadium. Apathy taking over.
sader24
Tsunami

It is quite comical that they announced an attendance of 5,000 more than the seating capacity of what they are building. Thanks for the ammunition.