Tulane 1973 Roster and Schedule Results and New Video!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:Which season was the one where we were ranked until Foley got hurt and then lost out? I wanna say 74.
Yes. We started 5-0 in 1974 then Foley went down with the broken ankle vs Georgia Tech. We then lost the last 6 to finish 5-6.
Also loss a heartbreaker at LSU 24-22 The late Bryan Alexander blocked two punts that day.
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_ ... eason=1974
The Tulane - Ga Tech game was carried by ABC with it's top Broadcasting crew, I do not remember the play by play man, but Bud Wilkerson was the "color" guy...prior to the game as he was giving his take on both teams, he lauded Tulane and Coach Ellender for his record of the last few years, adding that Tulane was on the verge of "excellence" ...also the "72 game was played at Tulane stadium with the '73 game scheduled for BR...however LSU had scheduled 7 home games and was afraid the cost of season tickets would piss off it fans, so they figured they would play their "easy" game again at Tulane in 73..When it was announced my dad called a bookie and got teh odds of Tulane winning and put some money on the game months in advance, the money he made paid for home improvements !!!!
The "72 game ended with Tulane on the LSU 5 yd line with no time left, a pass to the running back in the flat was slightly behind him, but he made the catch but his momentum was stopped and if memory serves Mike Anderson made the tackle at the one yard line as time expired
The game was played here b/c lswho had scheduled one more home game than NCAA rules allowed. I agree they did it thinking it was an easy win and many of their fans could be in attendance.
winwave...Please post the NCAA link regarding the number of home games allowed during this time period... I have not been able to secure it, but I am interested in reading it's content...Thanks
Golf you can take the time to look it up. At that time teams played 10 regular season games. You could have a max of I believe 6 home games. The rule exist today but the numbers have changed due to the increase in games which I believe now puts the max number of home games at 7.
WinWave...If my memory is correct, Schools could schedule 11 games in 1973 plus any bowl game they qualified for. It is no big deal, I called the NCAA HQ in Indy, they could not produce it for me either
We finished 7-3 in the regular season and 7-4 after the bowl game. Look at lswho now. As powerful as they are they still play a max of only 7 home games. It's b/c there's a rule in place.
WinWave...in 1973 Tulane finished it season 9-3 after losing to Houston in the Bluebonnet Bowl with a final AP ranking of 20. If there is a rule in place, wonderful, but the NCAA when i contacted them could not give me a link or quote a bylaw stating as such. I will contact them again on Friday morning. 1969 was the last year of having 10 regular season games. In 1970 Tulane finsied with a record of 8-4 following the vicotry over Colorado in the Liberty Bowl with a final AP ranking of 17
You are correct on the record. Too much celebration of the Saints win on my part.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wavedat
Swell

tpstulane wrote:More treasures here. I just uploaded this 1973 season recap video.
Part 1

Part 2
Thanks for the videos. Great memories.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
wavedat
Swell

msdos wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:Tulane-LSU 1973 drew 86,578, then the biggest crowd in the history of College Football below the Mason-Dixon line. From what I was told about that game it wasnt 25K Tulane fans and 60K LSU fans. It was more like 50K Tulane 25-30 LSU, 5K+ miscellaneous. Correct me if I'm wrong, I was born in 1982 and I'm not sure how much of my Dad's nostalgia overtook accuracy over the course of time.
You are correct sader. Had Tulane stadium had room there's was demand for about 100K that night.
Look at the Tulane fans after this one..........
Holy sh*t, some guy gets pummeled at 3:22
Hahahahaha
Don't know how you would enjoy a Tulane fan being sucker punched by LSU fan Mike Serio. The Tulane student suffered permanent eye damage. Hap Glaudi called him out as a thug on the sports on WWL TV.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Damn I didn't know that was Mike Serio. What a thug. A friend of mine was on the field with that guy that got sucker punched by Serio. He's the guy that went to the student's aide right when the student tries to get up after being punched..
Last edited by tpstulane on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Damn I didn't know that was Mike Serio. What a thug. A friend of mine was on the field with that guy that got sucker punched by Serio. He also knew that student.
Serio, should have been arrested on assult charges and sued in civil court for damages
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks!
Glad Tammy interviewed Bill Curl. He's probably one of the best if not the best Tulanian historian we still have around.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981