Tulane 1973 Roster and Schedule Results and New Video!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:I don't see us drawing in the 60s. N.O. is a smaller town, that was a different era in many ways.
But we'll draw well.
Tulane should also draw well in the African American community. As a group, they've never been big LSU fans and while (too) many won't have the means to go to our (or any) games, they like Tulane. And Cowen's/Tulane students' inner city work and work with schools will help too. Note which Council persons and the districts they represent did not go for Guidry's IZD.
Did some quick research. In 1970 NOLA had about 600k and the total us population was about 205mm. Now NOLA is around 370k and the US is at 313mm. So NOLA decreased 38% while the us increased 52%.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:Which season was the one where we were ranked until Foley got hurt and then lost out? I wanna say 74.
Yes. We started 5-0 in 1974 then Foley went down with the broken ankle vs Georgia Tech. We then lost the last 6 to finish 5-6.
Also loss a heartbreaker at LSU 24-22 The late Bryan Alexander blocked two punts that day.
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_ ... eason=1974
The Tulane - Ga Tech game was carried by ABC with it's top Broadcasting crew, I do not remember the play by play man, but Bud Wilkerson was the "color" guy...prior to the game as he was giving his take on both teams, he lauded Tulane and Coach Ellender for his record of the last few years, adding that Tulane was on the verge of "excellence" ...also the "72 game was played at Tulane stadium with the '73 game scheduled for BR...however LSU had scheduled 7 home games and was afraid the cost of season tickets would piss off it fans, so they figured they would play their "easy" game again at Tulane in 73..When it was announced my dad called a bookie and got teh odds of Tulane winning and put some money on the game months in advance, the money he made paid for home improvements !!!!
The "72 game ended with Tulane on the LSU 5 yd line with no time left, a pass to the running back in the flat was slightly behind him, but he made the catch but his momentum was stopped and if memory serves Mike Anderson made the tackle at the one yard line as time expired
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:These schedules just make me depressed with what could have been.
mba, that's what the few remaining diehards grew up on. When Tulane was in the SEC and later independent it scheduled like that for years. Once the Wave joined CUSA it was forced to play a crappy conference schedule, at that point our attendance started to dwindle. That's why it was so important to try to keep LSU on the schedule or at least a few BSC schools. I saw this demise first hand year after year. Then when we started losing to these "non-football" schools things really went in the tank. The only way out of this mess is to join the Big 12 and play "football" schools once again. I believe the size of the new stadium is based on the schedule we plan on playing. NOLA population may have decreased, but the surrounding parishes within driving distance of NOLA boomed, (Jefferson, St Tammany etc).. All those people like myself are still close enough to make the drive. Heck many from NOLA drive 90 miles to BR to see LSU. We have enough population in the Metro area to draw well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

1974 5-0 TU versus Ga. Tech game brought 67,000 to the Dome!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
jmjclu wrote:the next afternoon Coach Bennie Ellender was named the United Press International college coach of the year.
On Sunday night he was the guest of honor at a sports banquet at the JCC and I was the chairman. I had the pleasure of telling him...he had been recruiting all day and did not know of his honor.
That victory earned Ellender a 10-year contract at Tulane but sadly he was fired 2 years after 5-6 in 1974 and 4-7 in the 1975 season.
WOW Tulane actually bought out 8 years of a HC's contract? That would never happen under Cow/Dick. Then again, those fools "don't measure success by wins and losses."

I read somewhere this week that Tulane's biggest average attendance was 1979, It may have been the biggest in the Dome years, not sure. But the number was 47k, and it included a crowd of over 60k for the LSU game.

OMG What I would do to be able to have seen a game in the old stadium.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

swampnik wrote:1974 5-0 TU versus Ga. Tech game brought 67,000 to the Dome!
Game was in Tulane stadium. I thought crowd was around 55,000 but my memory may be hazy on that.

Was that the year GT QB was ambidextrous (named Eddie M???) He did not throw left handed against Tulane but had thrown a 50 yard pass left handed in an earlier game.
dza
Ripple

The 1974 Ga Tech game was played in Atlanta.

Frank Racine made the tackle on the 1 yard line in '72.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dza wrote:The 1974 Ga Tech game was played in Atlanta.

+1

1973 we played GT before 66,836 at Tulane Stadium.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:Which season was the one where we were ranked until Foley got hurt and then lost out? I wanna say 74.
Yes. We started 5-0 in 1974 then Foley went down with the broken ankle vs Georgia Tech. We then lost the last 6 to finish 5-6.
Also loss a heartbreaker at LSU 24-22 The late Bryan Alexander blocked two punts that day.
The Tulane - Ga Tech game was carried by ABC with it's top Broadcasting crew, I do not remember the play by play man, but Bud Wilkerson was the "color" guy...prior to the game as he was giving his take on both teams, he lauded Tulane and Coach Ellender for his record of the last few years, adding that Tulane was on the verge of "excellence" ...also the "72 game was played at Tulane stadium with the '73 game scheduled for BR...however LSU had scheduled 7 home games and was afraid the cost of season tickets would piss off it fans, so they figured they would play their "easy" game again at Tulane in 73..When it was announced my dad called a bookie and got teh odds of Tulane winning and put some money on the game months in advance, the money he made paid for home improvements !!!!
The "72 game ended with Tulane on the LSU 5 yd line with no time left, a pass to the running back in the flat was slightly behind him, but he made the catch but his momentum was stopped and if memory serves Mike Anderson made the tackle at the one yard line as time expired
The game was played here b/c lswho had scheduled one more home game than NCAA rules allowed. I agree they did it thinking it was an easy win and many of their fans could be in attendance.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
dza wrote:The 1974 Ga Tech game was played in Atlanta.

+1

1973 we played GT before 66,836 at Tulane Stadium.
A bunch of frat brothers and I drove to Atlanta to watch the 1974 game against Ga Tech. We sat in the east side upper deck, which was the steepest seats I've ever seen. Talk about vertical seating--it was scary. It was a long and sad drive back to N.O.--losing the game was bad, but losing Steve Foley was a lot worse.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
The game was played here b/c lswho had scheduled one more home game than NCAA rules allowed. I agree they did it thinking it was an easy win and many of their fans could be in attendance.
winwave...Please post the NCAA link regarding the number of home games allowed during this time period... I have not been able to secure it, but I am interested in reading it's content...Thanks
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Tulane 1974 (rated R) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The video never posted, TPS, can you try again?

THANKS!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Tulane 1974 (rated R) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The video never posted, TPS, can you try again?

THANKS!
It was a picture in the locker room 1973....
Right side...
https://www.google.com/search?q=img215/ ... B800%3B529
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave...Please post the NCAA link regarding the number of home games allowed during this time period... I have not been able to secure it, but I am interested in reading it's content...Thanks
Golf you can take the time to look it up. At that time teams played 10 regular season games. You could have a max of I believe 6 home games. The rule exist today but the numbers have changed due to the increase in games which I believe now puts the max number of home games at 7.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Golf you can take the time to look it up. At that time teams played 10 regular season games. You could have a max of I believe 6 home games. The rule exist today but the numbers have changed due to the increase in games which I believe now puts the max number of home games at 7.
WinWave...If my memory is correct, Schools could schedule 11 games in 1973 plus any bowl game they qualified for. It is no big deal, I called the NCAA HQ in Indy, they could not produce it for me either
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:I don't see us drawing in the 60s. N.O. is a smaller town, that was a different era in many ways.
But we'll draw well.
Tulane should also draw well in the African American community. As a group, they've never been big LSU fans and while (too) many won't have the means to go to our (or any) games, they like Tulane. And Cowen's/Tulane students' inner city work and work with schools will help too. Note which Council persons and the districts they represent did not go for Guidry's IZD.
The popularity of college football is up at least 30% since then as well, so a much larger pool of interested/potential ticket buyers as a % of population.

The "we'll draw well" comment confuses me. No part of Tulane Athletics facilities plan anticipates "drawing well".
DrBox
Riptide

Wavetime wrote:Question,

I was a pup,

How good could we have been with Bennie Ellender?
It's really hard to say. We lost several close games in 75, but were pummeled by a bad LSU team in the last game.
Not sure how our recruiting was holding up at that point.
Hard to say.

These are great TPS. I'll always remember that 73 season. I grew up in Lafayette - My dad took me to the North Carolina game (after the game UNC coach Dooley said our D was better than Alabama); my friend's dad took us to the G Tech game.
DrBox
Riptide

What a fine announcer John Ferguson was. The whole time he's giving credit to Tulane. He's not whining, acting like the world is ending...a real professional announcer who appreciated that moment for its true meaning.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:What a fine announcer John Ferguson was. The whole time he's giving credit to Tulane. He's not whining, acting like the world is ending...a real professional announcer who appreciated that moment for its true meaning.
+ 1 from me.... He certainly appreciated the moment and Tulane's effort
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TPS, thank you so much for all of these uploads. I just had a really S*#tty day and got a ton of enjoyment out of watching the 74 highlights. Put a big grin on my face. I only wish the cameras were better back then so I could have gotten a better feel for the old stadium.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:TPS, thank you so much for all of these uploads. I just had a really S*#tty day and got a ton of enjoyment out of watching the 74 highlights. Put a big grin on my face. I only wish the cameras were better back then so I could have gotten a better feel for the old stadium.
Glad you enjoyed. It's nice to see what we had back in the day.
Last edited by tpstulane on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
WinWave...If my memory is correct, Schools could schedule 11 games in 1973 plus any bowl game they qualified for. It is no big deal, I called the NCAA HQ in Indy, they could not produce it for me either
We finished 7-3 in the regular season and 7-4 after the bowl game. Look at lswho now. As powerful as they are they still play a max of only 7 home games. It's b/c there's a rule in place.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
We finished 7-3 in the regular season and 7-4 after the bowl game. Look at lswho now. As powerful as they are they still play a max of only 7 home games. It's b/c there's a rule in place.
WinWave...in 1973 Tulane finished it season 9-3 after losing to Houston in the Bluebonnet Bowl with a final AP ranking of 20. If there is a rule in place, wonderful, but the NCAA when i contacted them could not give me a link or quote a bylaw stating as such. I will contact them again on Friday morning.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
WinWave...in 1973 Tulane finished it season 9-3 after losing to Houston in the Bluebonnet Bowl with a final AP ranking of 20. If there is a rule in place, wonderful, but the NCAA when i contacted them could not give me a link or quote a bylaw stating as such. I will contact them again on Friday morning. 1969 was the last year of having 10 regular season games. In 1970 Tulane finsied with a record of 8-4 following the vicotry over Colorado in the Liberty Bowl with a final AP ranking of 17
T1B2TW
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:Some may remember this Hall of Fame Cheerleader..........
circa 1973
Count me in that number who remembers. :)