Devlin Fieldhouse (Fogelman Renovations)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

If you would like to PM me about this covert operation, please do so.

Thanks.

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I'd like a PM as well :)
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
IM42lane
Swell

IM42lane wrote:If you would like to PM me about this covert operation, please do so.

Thanks.

Thanks Tim! U da man!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Wavetime
Swell

Can I get a PM please?
wavemania
Surge

How about a PM this way?
Highwave
Low Tide

I would also like a PM on this topic. Thanks!
threeputt
High Tide

According to Rick Dickson's bio in the tulane football program that is sold on game days in the dome, Fogelman has been renamed The Devlin Fieldhouse.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ok. That was the PM I was passing out. What a way to make an announcement. Typical Tulane. One more thing. The renovations will not be complete until January. However we are planning to play there anyway while the work is still being done. So don't leave home without your helmet. Lol.
Thank You Kate and Bob Devlin for your generous donation.
Last edited by tpstulane on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

threeputt wrote:According to Rick Dickson's bio in the tulane football program that is sold on game days in the dome, Fogelman has been renamed The Devlin Fieldhouse.
Anyone that has seen the movie "just go with it" will find that hilarious
Tulane Class of 2004
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Krewe of Ham & Eggs wrote:
threeputt wrote:According to Rick Dickson's bio in the tulane football program that is sold on game days in the dome, Fogelman has been renamed The Devlin Fieldhouse.
Anyone that has seen the movie "just go with it" will find that hilarious
:lol: I thought the same thing. :roll:
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JDTulane
Riptide

I thought there was a big announcement coming on it?.........
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:I thought there was a big announcement coming on it?.........
I guess that was it.
My PM got more reads................. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Ok. That was the PM I was passing out. What a way to make an announcement. Typical Tulane. One more thing. The renovations will not be complete until January. However we are planning to play there anyway while the work is still being done. So don't leave home without your helmet. Lol.
Thank You Kate and Bob Devlin for your generous donation.
WTF??!!

Seriously.

I wonder what Avron Fogelman (an alumnus) and his family think about this, if true.

If they have a hyphenated name on the building that's one thing or a name on the court itself but this makes no sense.

Typical for this administration, though.

As the descent into depths uncharted continues....
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JDTulane
Riptide

I think the deal is Fogey gets the court right?

I heard from a butterfly that phase III might allow expansion. Who knows who cares. Better be comfy
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:I think the deal is Fogey gets the court right?
Maybe, but that han't been confirmed as of yet. Maybe he spring's for a new floor and get's to name it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

I heard from a butterfly that phase III might allow expansion. Who knows who cares. Better be comfy
Right! I hate watching basketball from an uncomfortable seat. I heard that when it's all said and done, Fogelman's gonna look good. Really good.

But you know how I roll. I don't care if we play in a cardboard box, I just wanna WIN! c'mon bball season -_-
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Still sounds stupid.

Avron Fogelman gave the funds for a major renovation of the building right when Tulane brought men's bball back after the 4 years of the program having been "abolished." I will never forget the opening night of the first practice at midnight in 1989, the first game (against TCU) and so on. I still have my ticket stub (which I refused to let the usher tear). If that was not a super special moment in the whole history of Tulane sports I don't know what is, and the name "Fogelman" has to be attached to that as well as to the years of goodness in bball that followed (up until right about when the Cowen/Dickson regime took over).
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Since the "cat is out of the bag", here's what we should expect to see when it re-opens.
My PM if you didn't get one.

Tulane is going to make an announcement recognizing the donor (the Devlin family) (Fogelman is going to be renamed) once they get in touch with the Fogelman family. The court name will likely be named after Fogelman.

This is what's going on as far as renovations at Devlin Fieldhouse:
1)All bleacher seating will be convered to chairbacks.... (but the total capacity will remain the same 3.6K)
2)The area which encompasses "the coaches corner" will have bar stools installed and will run the length upstairs along the walking ring.
3)Tulane is also going to turn the upstairs media room into a club area. The media area upstairs will be relocated downstairs under the stands. So that will allow the entire upstairs walkway side for Coaches Corner members.
4)The drop ceiling will be removed as previously stated in the thread.
5)Bathrooms on the ground level will also be installed under the baskets...

Volleyball games will not be played there because of the ongoing work. They will play at the Hertz Center and tourneys will be played at the Reily Center.
It may not be fully completed until Jan 2013, but we intend on playing our games there throughout this construction period..

Oh yea, this part you'll laugh at. At first they wanted to charge everyone a PSL for the new chairbacks, but brighter heads prevailed as this idea was dumped.
It's better then what we have now but it's only a $3.5-4MM band aid IMO.
Last edited by tpstulane on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

A complete waste of money. They are putting it out there that we have the same footprint as Cameron Indoor at Duke. Once again they are full of shit. The place can't be expanded to a number that suits a real D-1 program. That number is at least 6,000 and should be 7,500.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:They are putting it out there that we have the same footprint as Cameron Indoor at Duke. Once again they are full of sh*t. The place can't be expanded to a number that suits a real D-1 program. That number is at least 6,000 and should be 7,500.
+1
When it seated 5K it was all bleacher seating. In order to increase seating they would have to add seats in the cat walk above the floor or raise the roof which would be very expensive to do. In the 90's attendence was limited because of the fire marshall and as long as the currrent footprint remains the same size so will the limit because of fire marshall regulations.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

There was a story going around about 4-5 years ago, if I remember right, or maybe longer ago than that about Tulane having received a large donation for the basketball arena from the family that owns Simmons mattresses, again if I remember right. Does this work have to do with that donation? If not, then what happened to it?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:There was a story going around about 4-5 years ago, if I remember right, or maybe longer ago than that about Tulane having received a large donation for the basketball arena from the family that owns Simmons mattresses, again if I remember right. Does this work have to do with that donation? If not, then what happened to it?
A pledge, not a donation. A pledge comes with a commitment from the other side (Tulane). So I'll leave it at that.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

If it's really supposed to be such a big deal, if it is in fact a big deal, then why no official announcement or better yet a press conference prior to starting construction?

If they want people to think that this is a big deal and not just another band-aid on a facility where at least 5 or 6 renovations have already been done then why such nonchalant treatment?

Another demonstration of breathtaking incompetence from this athletics department.

The hits just keep on coming.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:If it's really supposed to be such a big deal, if it is in fact a big deal, then why no official announcement or better yet a press conference prior to starting construction?

If they want people to think that this is a big deal and not just another band-aid on a facility where at least 5 or 6 renovations have already been done then why such nonchalant treatment?

Another demonstration of breathtaking incompetence from this athletics department.

The hits just keep on coming.
:beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :explode: :explode: :explode:
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

This is sheer incompetence but, given how these people have proven themselves to be, one wonders if quite possibly something more than that is going on.

The name "Fogelman"...well, to me is attached to the re-instatement of men's basketball and subsequent era of goodness in the 1990's that turned out to be the most productive era in the history of the program is and (though others may not agree) to me probably the most special accomplishment of all in all of Tulane sports history -- and he made his donation at a time when Tulane didn't even have a program at all.

So, yes, if I were Mr. Fogelman, I honestly think I would be offended (at least in private) to have my name no longer on the building.

Honestly -- and this may sound crazy -- there's the appearance here that they're trying to bury something that was very good for Tulane that they, as in the current ruling regime, had nothing to do with and really in fact had put an end to.