Big 12 Expansion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

It looks like Notre Dame is moving their Olympic Sports to the Big 12 and will also agree to play 6 Big 12 games per year in football as I previously guessed. FSU, Louisville, and Clemson appear to be other targets, but I think when its all said and done Notre Dame, FSU, Ga.Tech, Louisville, Va.Tech, and Clemson will form the East Division of the Big 12 with West Virginia and Iowa St. Also think SEC will move on UNC and possibly duke it out with Big 12 for Va.Tech. NC St. is also a possibility. Rick Dickson should be begging the Big East and/or ACC on a daily basis.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/disp ... 07898&pg=2

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:It looks like Notre Dame is moving their Olympic Sports to the Big 12 and will also agree to play 6 Big 12 games per year in football as I previously guessed. FSU, Louisville, and Clemson appear to be other targets, but I think when its all said and done Notre Dame, FSU, Ga.Tech, Louisville, Va.Tech, and Clemson will form the East Division of the Big 12 with West Virginia and Iowa St. Also think SEC will move on UNC and possibly duke it out with Big 12 for Va.Tech. NC St. is also a possibility. Rick Dickson should be begging the Big East and/or ACC on a daily basis.

And yet he's focused on a project that ensures that those conferences won't be interested in Tulane. A 25K seat stadium or the Superdome with an IPF with a hot coaching prospect who is landing Louisiana talent? The choice is obvious.
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
sader24 wrote:It looks like Notre Dame is moving their Olympic Sports to the Big 12 and will also agree to play 6 Big 12 games per year in football as I previously guessed. FSU, Louisville, and Clemson appear to be other targets, but I think when its all said and done Notre Dame, FSU, Ga.Tech, Louisville, Va.Tech, and Clemson will form the East Division of the Big 12 with West Virginia and Iowa St. Also think SEC will move on UNC and possibly duke it out with Big 12 for Va.Tech. NC St. is also a possibility. Rick Dickson should be begging the Big East and/or ACC on a daily basis.

And yet he's focused on a project that ensures that those conferences won't be interested in Tulane. A 25K seat stadium or the Superdome with an IPF with a hot coaching prospect who is landing Louisiana talent? The choice is obvious.
And then he'll leave.
Bigschtick
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

well said! I would love to see us in the ACC! Great schools!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

And then he'll leave.
I agree w/most of your posts but you are dead wrong here. If CUJO is successful and we stay in he Dome and build the IPF instead of the OCS he stays.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bigschtick wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

well said! I would love to see us in the ACC! Great schools!
If we reached that point it would be b/c the ACC as a football conference had been decimated by other conferences. It wouldn't nearly resemble the ACC you envision us being in. we want and need the Big 12.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

We aren't getting into the Big 12 and never were.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

And then he'll leave.
I agree w/most of your posts but you are dead wrong here. If CUJO is successful and we stay in he Dome and build the IPF instead of the OCS he stays.
I believe Show Me was referring to SC leaving once he has finished decimating Tulane athletics.

As far as CJ staying, that is one big "if" being dependent on many other other big "ifs." I figure he'll soon find out he's been given a shiny Pontiac.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:We aren't getting into the Big 12 and never were.
I'd have to agree. No doubt I'm sure there was just conversation, but just that. We're stuck in the CUSA Belt.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: I believe Show Me was referring to SC leaving once he has finished decimating Tulane athletics.
Correct, I would expect Cowen to leave us with a mess we'll never be able to clean up.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

o.K.... I am Notre Dame..let me join a conference that I haven no chance in hell of ever winning...the Big 12.yeah sure. sgin me up ASAP...can't wait to compete with Texas..Oklahoima...Okie State.,.. W Vrgininy..TCU and Texas Tech on a regular basis..I am Notre DAME...a legend in my own mind !!!!...what a dump....the Big 12/10 does not even want them any more !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
msdos
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:I figure he'll soon find out he's been given a shiny Pontiac.
sader24
Tsunami

Notre Dame just wants to keep their ability to play a national schedule. The Big 10 would've locked them into a 9 game regional schedule of which they wanted no part of b/c it goes against everything they believe themselves to be. A Big 12 that spans from Texas to Iowa to Virginia to Florida and only forces them to play 6 teams in Conference gives them a national conference schedule allows them to recruit Texas, Florida, Georgia, East Coast, and Midwest. Also, it gives them 6 games to schedule USC, Purdue, Navy, Michigan, and 2 other teams they choose. The ACC would've forced them into an entirely East Coast and diminishing conference. An expanded Big 12 has always made the most sense for them. In other news, looking at the strong possibilities of what the Big 12 will likely become, they have really gone from near death to possibly the best Conference in the country if everything falls into place over the next 2 or 3 years.
West
Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Kansas St.
East
Iowa St, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida St.

Not sure how the N.Dame thing will end up working out in the end divisional play wise.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I stand by my statement of CJ staying. Yes there are big if's involved but the biggest one is if he can win. If the answer to that is yes then we'll be playing in the Dome which is his stated goal. He then stays.

As for the Big 12 I was just saying that if CJ does turn it around quick, and I know you agree sader that that can be done quicker than many think, then we need to really start pitching ourselves in their direction.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding but I stand by my statement of CJ staying. Yes there are big if's involved but the biggest one is if he can win.
No.
The biggest if is, "if he can win" here, can (will?) we match what an AQ also-ran will offer him. If he can succeed here, wheelbarrows full of cash will be thrown his way to leave for a school that gives him a legitimate chance at an MNC, something that will never happen here as long as we are in the CUSA as we know it now or what we know it soon will be.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
winwave wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding but I stand by my statement of CJ staying. Yes there are big if's involved but the biggest one is if he can win.
No.
The biggest if is, "if he can win" here, can (will?) we match what an AQ also-ran will offer him. If he can succeed here, wheelbarrows full of cash will be thrown his way to leave for a school that gives him a legitimate chance at an MNC, something that will never happen here as long as we are in the CUSA as we know it now or what we know it soon will be.
I know you want to be a debbiedowner on this issue but you're wrong. If he is successful he'd be in his mid-50's and the few BCS schools that actually have a chance for MNC aren't going to come calling. As for the Clemsons of the world we have matched their offers in the past and certainly would for CJ. Most importantly this is where he wants to be. He's not like the others who have left us. They were out the door before they ever got here. HE'S IN!
sader24
Tsunami

Dont be naive when it comes to coaches. You can be optimistic, but never be naive. 95% of them follow the money and the limelight.
Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote:We aren't getting into the Big 12 and never were.

plus 1 we would get our ass's kicked every saturday. we are not getting in anyway. only option would be acc or big east, all preferable to our current situation even if acc loses some teams.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
murphwave
High Tide

With preference going to conference champions for the new playoff, there is less incentive to stack a conference once you have met a certain quality threshold. For example, Winning the Big 12 is easier if one conference game includes us instead of Virgina Tech. The trick now is not to be in the top 2 but the Top 4 and it's easier to do that with a strong but not overly strong Big 10 or Big 12.
sader24
Tsunami

Better teams in your conference means more quality games in conference which in turn makes your TV much more lucrative. It's all about money.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The only article I could find, from a media outlet based, in the State of Texas regarding the Big 12 and Notre Dame and it is dated may 31st 2012...

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... SoJiKKLhKg

And if I am not mistaken it is the only article I could find that was connected geographically to any school associated with the Big 12.... There have been many "National in the Know" type of artcles published, but this is the only one I found based within the geographic borders of Big 12 Schools..if anyone else can come up with any other articles, based within Big 12 terriority I would appreciate having them posted...Thanks for your help
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Not sure how I missed this Nov '11 article.............
Pre-OCS though.........
Tulane ranked #1 for 12 Little-Discussed Schools That Could Make Great BCS AQ Conference Members
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9202 ... ce-members

Tulane #1 on page 2
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9202 ... ers/page/2
I want to retain my readers through this report, so let's talk competitiveness first. Tulane was competitive when they were a member of the SEC with LSU. Since then, in lesser conferences with smaller budgets and in the shadow of the NFL's Saints, times have been hard.

Still, Tulane did go 11-0 in 1998 under Tommy Bowden. If you can go undefeated at the BCS non-AQ level, you probably do have the assets in your area to make competing in a BCS AQ conference possible.

Right up the road from Tulane, you have LSU, who is recruiting enough BCS-caliber talent in depth to be a consistent national contender, and Southern Miss, who has finished with a losing record only five times in the last 36 seasons—as well as SWAC power Southern.

The reasons those schools do so well?

Southern Mississippi and Louisiana are hotbeds for football talent.

Tulane is a great academic school. They have access to an NFL stadium. If you give them the ability to draw much better crowds and a lot of disposable income to throw into improving the football program, the talent is there to compete.

There are a lot of reasons Tulane was briefly mentioned by the Big 12 as a potential candidate this year. The first is academics. Tulane is a more highly rated academic university than most members of AQ conferences. Adding Tulane would not cost the Big 12 any loss of stature in the ranks of the AQ conferences.

An enrollment of over 12,000 students is more than sufficient for a private university in a large metro area to draw reasonable crowds in a BCS conference. New Orleans is football crazy.

In the Big 12, Tulane would likely have a home game a year versus UT or OU that would draw northwards of 50,000 due to the fact that both are big draws, New Orleans is a great vacation spot and that SEC fans could not help but buy tickets to cheer against those southwest invaders. One would think that the rest of the Big 12 would draw a little better than CUSA schools, but just a little.

The New Orleans media market is a solid size, with about 600,000 TV households.

The stadium is an NFL stadium and can handle any turnout a Big 12 school generates. The basketball arena is way too small, but making an additional $12-16 million a year from a Big 12 TV share could quickly fix that.

Also, it is important to note that the Saints have had recurring talks of leaving for a bigger market and the Hornets' ownership is in a state of flux. While this is a nice sized market for a college team, it is small for pro sports. The move of either pro team would immediately create a much bigger opportunity for Tulane, as the University of New Orleans is no longer a Division I school.

Finally getting back to the most important question—can they compete?

As I mentioned above, Mississippi and Louisiana are recruiting hotbeds. (From a football perspective, UT and OU might favor the admission simply to have a better shot to recruit this area.) Mississippi is a source of a lot of big, athletic defensive tackle prospects. Louisiana produces a ton of speedy receivers and cornerbacks.

An AQ-level Tulane would be well-situated to land more talent at those key areas.

A recruiter the caliber of Tommy Bowden might be willing to take the job.

SEC fans would ridicule the addition of Tulane to the Big 12, but it doesn't make it any less viable. Tulane was a former member of the SEC and competed well in that conference in the days before the NFL. The attributes are there to allow Tulane to compete at a bowl level in the Big 12.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Not sure how I missed this Nov '11 article.............
Pre-OCS though.........
Tulane ranked #1 for 12 Little-Discussed Schools That Could Make Great BCS AQ Conference Members
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9202 ... ce-members

Tulane #1 on page 2
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9202 ... ers/page/2
I want to retain my readers through this report, so let's talk competitiveness first. Tulane was competitive when they were a member of the SEC with LSU. Since then, in lesser conferences with smaller budgets and in the shadow of the NFL's Saints, times have been hard.

Still, Tulane did go 11-0 in 1998 under Tommy Bowden. If you can go undefeated at the BCS non-AQ level, you probably do have the assets in your area to make competing in a BCS AQ conference possible.

Right up the road from Tulane, you have LSU, who is recruiting enough BCS-caliber talent in depth to be a consistent national contender, and Southern Miss, who has finished with a losing record only five times in the last 36 seasons—as well as SWAC power Southern.

The reasons those schools do so well?

Southern Mississippi and Louisiana are hotbeds for football talent.

Tulane is a great academic school. They have access to an NFL stadium. If you give them the ability to draw much better crowds and a lot of disposable income to throw into improving the football program, the talent is there to compete.

There are a lot of reasons Tulane was briefly mentioned by the Big 12 as a potential candidate this year. The first is academics. Tulane is a more highly rated academic university than most members of AQ conferences. Adding Tulane would not cost the Big 12 any loss of stature in the ranks of the AQ conferences.

An enrollment of over 12,000 students is more than sufficient for a private university in a large metro area to draw reasonable crowds in a BCS conference. New Orleans is football crazy.

In the Big 12, Tulane would likely have a home game a year versus UT or OU that would draw northwards of 50,000 due to the fact that both are big draws, New Orleans is a great vacation spot and that SEC fans could not help but buy tickets to cheer against those southwest invaders. One would think that the rest of the Big 12 would draw a little better than CUSA schools, but just a little.

The New Orleans media market is a solid size, with about 600,000 TV households.

The stadium is an NFL stadium and can handle any turnout a Big 12 school generates. The basketball arena is way too small, but making an additional $12-16 million a year from a Big 12 TV share could quickly fix that.

Also, it is important to note that the Saints have had recurring talks of leaving for a bigger market and the Hornets' ownership is in a state of flux. While this is a nice sized market for a college team, it is small for pro sports. The move of either pro team would immediately create a much bigger opportunity for Tulane, as the University of New Orleans is no longer a Division I school.

Finally getting back to the most important question—can they compete?

As I mentioned above, Mississippi and Louisiana are recruiting hotbeds. (From a football perspective, UT and OU might favor the admission simply to have a better shot to recruit this area.) Mississippi is a source of a lot of big, athletic defensive tackle prospects. Louisiana produces a ton of speedy receivers and cornerbacks.

An AQ-level Tulane would be well-situated to land more talent at those key areas.

A recruiter the caliber of Tommy Bowden might be willing to take the job.

SEC fans would ridicule the addition of Tulane to the Big 12, but it doesn't make it any less viable. Tulane was a former member of the SEC and competed well in that conference in the days before the NFL. The attributes are there to allow Tulane to compete at a bowl level in the Big 12.
Whoever wrote that has a stronger belief in Tulane Athletics than Cowen, Dickson and most Tulane fans.