2012 NCAA Baseball Tournament: And the answer is NO!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

The frustration continues.....

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
TURVS71
Swell

ECU is a #2 seed in their regional. No way you can put any positive spin on this season. Scheduling and untimely losses to weak programs did us in!
Jaxwave
Swell

When does the Division III selection show come on? I am anxious to see where we are going.
Jaxwave
Swell

Seeing the 4th place CUSA team, ECU, as a 2 you have to think UAB stole our bid. CUSA was getting 4 teams and we blew it, as usual, losing to them in the tournament.
GREEN13
Ripple

At least we have been consistent over the last four years!!!! I may become a Wolfpack(Loyola) fan. At least it would be completely new to me instead of the same old tulane ho, hum garbage!!!
baldboy
Low Tide

We simply choked several times when it counted! Now, ECU getting in and a #2 seed is borderline insanity. But, we just choked when it mattered and RJ and the team can't deny that. To get run ruled by Marshall on Senior day said it all for me. Then you can't just win one more game out of UAB or UCF? Come on man! UCF had absolutely nothing to play for and we couldn't do! Very dissappointing!
TURVS71
Swell

The bottom line is winning AND post season in all sports. Tulane again has found itself outside looking in. So, should we now praise the athletes so we don't hurt their feelings. Should we put positive spins on everything? Should we continue to measure success NOT by wins and losses? Mr. Dickson, I would sure like to see your face right now. No actually, I would like to see your face as you tell the members of our football, baseball and basketball teams how we "don't measure success with wins and losses."

Coach Jones PLEASE fight for or do a better job scheduling or face this again next year!

Very sad......These kids want a great education BUT they want to win. They are competitive athletes. Give them what they need. Upgrade the schedule, take that west coast trip and stop trying to do everything on the cheap. Invest and it will come back to you tenfold!

By the way Mr. Dickson, interesting how you so avoided discussing the football conference situation in Pearl last week. You HAVE to be as disgusted as we are. Just like baseball, compete in a weak conference and reap the rewards.....baseball should have now taught you this lesson...garbage in/garbage out!
Houma de Wave
Swell

baldboy wrote:We simply choked several times when it counted! Now, ECU getting in and a #2 seed is borderline insanity. But, we just choked when it mattered and RJ and the team can't deny that. To get run ruled by Marshall on Senior day said it all for me. Then you can't just win one more game out of UAB or UCF? Come on man! UCF had absolutely nothing to play for and we couldn't do! Very dissappointing!
ECU choked and choked and choked again down the stretch, but scheduled well and got in with a 2-seed induced by their guy being on the committee. We choked before the season started with putting together a weak schedule and didn't win enough. Maryland should really be pi$$Ed. We have no one to blame but ourselves and the administration. I still do, however, support RJ.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Going to be a long summer once again. Especially when LSU goes to Omaha once again. :oops:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
baldboy
Low Tide

I fully support RJ! He is a victim of many factors. But he does need to schedule up.
Houma de Wave
Swell

baldboy wrote:I fully support RJ! He is a victim of many factors. But he does need to schedule up.
I'm with you, baldboy...I just wanted to expand on what you posted.
Twave
Ripple

This years schedule was done by Jack Cressand 3 years ago. Jake Gatreau handles all of our scheduling now. Rick Dickon has nothing to do with baseball scheduling.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Twave wrote:This years schedule was done by Jack Cressand 3 years ago. Jake Gatreau handles all of our scheduling now. Rick Dickon has nothing to do with baseball scheduling.
So, we got "Jacked.". Thx, TWave for enlightening us. Don't have anything against Jack, but Houston is in worse shape than us.
Jonathan
Riptide

Do not be emotional. There is always next year. Rick had really earned his 2.5m plus the last five years. His assistant coaches are outstanding.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Everything in this program is done Rick's way and the schedule was done at his direction. Also not buying that it's all done 3 years out. It's not done that way in basketball as we well know. Maybe the bama series was scheduled 3 years ago but not all of our schedule was done by Cressend.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Everything in this program is done Rick's way and the schedule was done at his direction. Also not buying that it's all done 3 years out. It's not done that way in basketball as we well know. Maybe the bama series was scheduled 3 years ago but not all of our schedule was done by Cressend.
It's just telling that someone is trying to present yet another excuse why it isn't Dickson's fault. Never any real accountability in Tulane Athletics. It's always a coordinator or assistant or intern's fault. The accountability only gets to the head coaching level when a program falls apart completely (Scelfo and Toledo) or a coach just up and quits (Dickerson).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This is my theory. If you schedule down (Tulane) you have to win more games. If you schedule up (ECU) you can win less games and get in.
As a paying fan I hate paying full price and driving over an hour to see us play 4 games vs Siena, 3 Brown, 3 UMBC, 2 Alcorn .... I'd rather drive 5 hours to Oxford or Texas. I know Tulane makes money on the home games and doesn't want to give them up, too bad. Because next year I will wait too see who we schedule first before buying season tickets. I may go with a two 10 pack deals instead. The new CUSA baseball conference is going to suck, so out of conference games are going to be much more important. I miss the early season tournaments in Texas and Minn that we used to play in the past. I made most of those trips.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I went to the Houston tourney where the Astros play in 2006. I was willing to drive to watch us play good teams. We seem to have a major scheduling issue across the board at Tulane. As weak as the baseball schedule was this year it's not even in the same planet as basketball has been as well as football. For some reason it falls on deaf ears that people do not want to come watch bad opponents. Seems to me the baseball staff probably overrated how good CUSA is in baseball and scheduled weaker outside of conference as a result. Jones constantly talks about how great the Conference and it's really not.
JDTulane
Riptide

Depressing
RWR
Swell

T-P:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ave_p.html

He admits scheduling is done in the off season when he says they can change the way we schedule for next season.
wavedat
Swell

RWR wrote:T-P:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ave_p.html

He admits scheduling is done in the off season when he says they can change the way we schedule for next season.
So now he's going to focus on recruiting. WOW.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:I went to the Houston tourney where the Astros play in 2006. I was willing to drive to watch us play good teams. We seem to have a major scheduling issue across the board at Tulane. As weak as the baseball schedule was this year it's not even in the same planet as basketball has been as well as football. For some reason it falls on deaf ears that people do not want to come watch bad opponents. Seems to me the baseball staff probably overrated how good CUSA is in baseball and scheduled weaker outside of conference as a result. Jones constantly talks about how great the Conference and it's really not.
More reasons why we should seriously be considering going independent--the current schedules are an abomination, and the future CUSA is laughable. If we can't soon crack into the Big 12 or ACC, we need to go indy.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
WaveCan
Low Tide

Just frustrated by everything with this program at this point. The weak schedule, the mental mistakes that cost us the UCF series, the untimely errors and subsequent collapses against Rice and LSU, the inability to hit in big spots and the failure to muster anything better than 5-4 in the last three weeks of the season when it was ours for the taking.

Despite all that, this year was better than the last 3 and Jones deserves one more year to get us back into a regional. For starters, I don't want Dickson or Cowen anywhere near the baseball program. Second, when he signed next year's seniors he said that group would be the group to bring the program back to prominence. He should be held to those words and rise or fall with that class next season.

It's going to be a long summer and we'll see what happens with CJ and the football team. 2012-2013 will either be start of a renewal for Tulane athletics or one more cut in the "death by 1000 cuts" that has been occurring the past decade.
TURVS71
Swell

From Aaron Fitt:

“Tulane just plain didn’t deserve to be in,” Fitt said. Their RPI (64), yes, is hard to get over that I think the RPI is flawed and I’m willing to give teams a break if they have a strong body of work but just not a great RPI but Tulane doesn’t have a strong body of work. They really don’t. They had an opportunity here the last couple weeks to play their way in and I don’t think they took advantage of it. They fell on their face in the conference tournament (going 1-2).”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:From Aaron Fitt:

“Tulane just plain didn’t deserve to be in,” Fitt said. Their RPI (64), yes, is hard to get over that I think the RPI is flawed and I’m willing to give teams a break if they have a strong body of work but just not a great RPI but Tulane doesn’t have a strong body of work. They really don’t. They had an opportunity here the last couple weeks to play their way in and I don’t think they took advantage of it. They fell on their face in the conference tournament (going 1-2).”
Fitt was on Sports Hangover today comments about Tulane about 7/8's to the end of this link....
http://www.webwiseforradio.com/site_fil ... 912_H3.mp3
Fitt, "Tulane needs to play mid-tier RPI teams, they should NEVER play the bottom tier 290's like Brown and UMBC, that just kills you RPI", "Tulane needs to just do a better job of scheduling".
Tulane Class of 1981