Impact of 21,241 tourist for the Mardi Gras Marithon

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
gbgreenie
Surge

According to the Times Picayune today a study by San Diego St. University says that the economic impact of 21,241 visitors for the Mardi Gras Marathon is $26,999,153. I see no reason why if Tulane had 20,000 visitors from opposing universities like Texas, Alabama, Ole Miss or other top BCS schools it would not bring in the same revenue. This is where the University needs to sell itself. As a business it needs to show the city, State, and Tom Bensons (Parking and Concessions at the Dome) that they can expect like revenue from a successful Tulane Football Team. This should be a team effort between the University and tourist commission just like any convention or just like this Marathon. It is called joint marketing for each others benefit. Start acting like a business which NCAA BCS Football is. This effort could land Tulane in a BCS Conference with joint support and the appeal of the City and Superdome. We need to demand this just like the Hornets and the Saints demand help because they sell the economic impact to all parties.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie...the Tulane "marketing" dept could not sell or market ExLax in a Hospital constipation ward
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

1 big SEC opponent a year at home would draw in between 15-30K out of town visitors. The city can't demand our athletic department get its act together, but the city and local businesses could be great partners from a sponsorship and season ticket base if they started seeing larger out of state crowds as well as bigger crowds around the DOme with a successful football team. There is a demand in this city for a good college football team, but it's going to take the university getting it together before any of this can ever be realized.
gbgreenie
Surge

That is exactly what I am saying if the University shows committment help will come. We as fans should demand no less and drive Cowen and Dickson out if they can't see the potential that this great city could bring to the school.